09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by 1stand15th

eek.gif
smh.gif
That can't be true about Pavlik. If it is it's totally INDEFENSIBLE.

Well if it's true Paul didn't want to push it back to December 19th, then I can't blame him. Hopefully they can get it done for next year...
[h2]Pavlik to defend title against Espino[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, forced to twice pull out of defenses against Paul Williams this fall because of a left hand problem stemming from a staph infection, will make his ring return Dec. 19, Top Rank president Todd duBoef told ESPN.com on Monday.

Pavlik, who will defend the world title against Miguel Espino, will fight in his hometown of Youngstown, Ohio, at the Beeghly Center on the campus of Youngstown State University.

"I'm very encouraged and excited that Kelly will be able to fight on Dec. 19," duBoef told ESPN.com. "I think it's imperative for his career. Activity is important. You never like to see a young guy not fighting regularly when he's in his prime. This year has been a curse of little things that happened. It's good for everybody, especially for him, to get a good fight under his belt on Dec. 19. Hopefully, if he's successful in defending his title he can go into 2010 with a clean slate."

Pavlik was supposed to defend the title against Williams in October in Atlantic City, N.J., in the main event of a major HBO card, but his hand hadn't fully healed from two surgeries necessitated by the staph infection on the index finger of his left hand. The fight was rescheduled for Dec. 5, but Pavlik was again forced to pull out in late October because he was still unable to properly train because he could not completely close his left fist.

Top Rank, Pavlik's promoter, hoped to delay the Williams bout until Dec. 19, but the Williams camp, already upset by two delays, elected to go in another direction. Williams kept the HBO date on Dec. 5 and will face junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez in a middleweight bout on HBO in Atlantic City.

Pavlik will fight two weeks later and headline a split site pay-per-view card. Top Rank was already planning a "Latin Fury" pay-per-view from Cancun, Mexico, on Dec. 19. Now, the card will have bouts from Mexico, including junior lightweight titlist Humberto Soto moving up to lightweight to face former titlist Jesus Chavez, as well as bouts from Youngstown.

Top Rank pulled off the technologically challenging feat of a split site card in February, when Miguel Cotto knocked out Michael Jennings to win a vacant welterweight belt in New York before the action shifted to Youngstown, where Pavlik defended his title by stopping Marco Antonio Rubio in the ninth round.

"We're fighting," said Cameron Dunkin, Pavlik's co-manager. "I have the contract here. The hand is good. He did therapy today and he ran today. The therapy, after three sessions, the hand has gotten much better. [The first] is still not closed all the way, but it's so much better. It's really good news. He just can't wait to fight. He really misses this.

"You can't help but have concern about the hand, but we've still got six weeks and that gives us enough time to be ready. He's been running and lifting weights because he was trying to push through for the fight with Williams on Dec. 5. He asked if Williams could wait until the 19th and it couldn't be done. We understood. Now he has another chance to go the 19th and he's going to go."

Espino (20-2-1, 9 KOs), 29, of Los Angeles, starred on the first season of "The Contender" reality series in 2004, but he hasn't lost since dropping a five-round decision on the series to Peter Manfredo Jr.

Pavlik (35-1, 31 KOs), who has been earning seven-figures for recent fights, will take a major pay cut, down to about $500,000, to face Espino. However, according to Dunkin, Pavlik is just anxious to fight.

"What I love is his enthusiasm," Dunkin said. "He's not even talking about the money. He's talking about fighting. He wants to win this fight and he still wants to fight Williams next year if we can make it happen."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Middleweight champion of the world fighting in what amounts to a high school gym for $500 G's? What part of the game is that?

did yall read the story about Michael Buffer on Yahoo.com?

Dude has banked 400 Million off Lets get ready to rumble

GEEEEZUSSSSSS

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Middleweight champion of the world fighting in what amounts to a high school gym for $500 G's? What part of the game is that?

Yea thats the part of the story that made me scratch my head...Im starting to believe son really has personal problems.. Booze, Drugs, etc..

Dude just wants to stay busy can't blame him for that. It'll set him up for a bigger fight 1st quarter of 2010. There's not going to be much outthere for him on such short notice if Paul didn't want to push the fight back w/no guaranteed TV.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

GEEEEZUSSSSSS
More then 95% of all pro boxers without getting a scratch. Don't know how I feel about it... is it
pimp.gif
or
smh.gif

Originally Posted by J PayCheck

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

GEEEEZUSSSSSS
More then 95% of all pro boxers without getting a scratch. Don't know how I feel about it... is it
pimp.gif
or
smh.gif

and i also thing his line is trademarked.

Ricky Hatton has been inactive since the May two-round KO loss to Manny Pacquiao. Hatton has been concentrating on promotional company, Hatton Promotions. In a few interviews, Hatton said that he no longer had the itch or desire to fight again. During the last few weeks, watching some of his fighters win - and getting a huge reaction during a few off-boxing events - have changed his mind. Hatton now says the itch to fight again is back. He will consider a ring return in 2010.

"It was brilliant and I must admit, when I got into the ring [during a recent appearance] and heard the crowd roar, I started thinking to myself 'I've missed this'," Hatton told Sky Sports News. "Who knows? Next year after Christmas and New Year, and after the holiday I've got booked for January, I might have a serious think about what I'm doing.

"Seeing Matthew [Hatton] and all the lads I'm promoting be successful has given me that itch back. Hearing that roar and seeing my fighters succeed, I might give it another go."

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Ricky Hatton has been inactive since the May two-round KO loss to Manny Pacquiao. Hatton has been concentrating on promotional company, Hatton Promotions. In a few interviews, Hatton said that he no longer had the itch or desire to fight again. During the last few weeks, watching some of his fighters win - and getting a huge reaction during a few off-boxing events - have changed his mind. Hatton now says the itch to fight again is back. He will consider a ring return in 2010.

"It was brilliant and I must admit, when I got into the ring [during a recent appearance] and heard the crowd roar, I started thinking to myself 'I've missed this'," Hatton told Sky Sports News. "Who knows? Next year after Christmas and New Year, and after the holiday I've got booked for January, I might have a serious think about what I'm doing.

"Seeing Matthew [Hatton] and all the lads I'm promoting be successful has given me that itch back. Hearing that roar and seeing my fighters succeed, I might give it another go."

I think Floyd's next fight is gonna be vs. Hatton @ Wrestlemania

Code:
          On Behalf of the Manny Pacquiao Charity Foundation, Klevah Management, and Mass Hysteria Werx. IM King is   proud to announce it's Special Edition Official Charity T-Shirt   collaboration with the current best Pound for Pound Light   Welterweight Champion of the World, Manny "PacMan" Pacquiao. This   genuiune partnership not only commemorates Pacquiao's fight against   Miguel Cotto on November 14, 2009 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas,   Nevada, but also mark's valiant efforts to raise proceeds to help   Typhoon Victims in Pacquiao's homecountry of the Philippines. Major   devastation and tragedy struck on September 26th, 2009 to Metro   Manila and it's surrounding areas.  Part of the T-Shirt sales   proceeds will be donated to the needy victims on behalf of the Manny   Pacquiao Foundation and IMKing.
Code:
Code:
 The IM king "Pound4Pound" design is an inspiration based off Chief Datu      Lapu-Lapu, who back in the 16th Century fought back against Spanish   Conquistador, Ferdinand Magellan, and successfully defended his   village and fellow Filipinos. Pacquiao actually portrayed the   legendary country hero in an annual re-enactment held in  Cebu City,   Philippines, as he is the perfect modern day example of Lapu-Lapu as   a national hero. It is Pacquiao's Filipino Fighting spirit and an   inspiration to the people to make it out of adversity and never let   anything stop your dreams .  It didn't take long for the design   concept to materialize between IMKing's Creative Designer, Brian   Tampol, and Mass Hysteria Werx's CEO, Brian Ortencio, who are both of Filipino backgrounds.
Code:
 The Tee will be available for Pre-Order on IMKing.com NOW!   If you want to do a pick up at our Santa Ana office please email [email protected] shirt is now AVAILABLE HERE

ricky fatton living up to his name .... hey w/e happen to curtis "showtime" stevens?

That Pac-Man/Cotto thread is too much, I am done with that.

A fight that makes sense for Hatton would be Amir Kahn. Granted there is a good chance he loses but it would obviously generate huge buzz/revenue over in theUK and could be somewhat of a farewell tour for the Fat Man.

In fairness to that Pac/Cotto thread. At least the conversations are boxing related this time, and not about fanboys saying Manny will win because he's sohumble
laugh.gif

I saw that Curtis Stevens/Andre Dirrell fight on youtube about a week before the Froch/Dirrell fight... what a waste of time
smh.gif

Did Stevens ever fight after that? Dude could talk up a storm

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

In fairness to that Pac/Cotto thread. At least the conversations are boxing related this time, and not about fanboys saying Manny will win because he's so humble
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
true

Anybody knows the odds to Kessler-Ward?

Going to Vegas next weekend, might place some bets.

btw, the next installment of Showtime's Fight Camp: 360 is on Saturday as well.

I don't know what the hell Showtime is thinking trying to premiere the 2nd episode of Fight Camp 360 at 10:40pm during Pacquiao-Cotto
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

I don't know what the hell Showtime is thinking trying to premiere the 2nd episode of Fight Camp 360 at 10:40pm during Pacquiao-Cotto
laugh.gif
eek.gif
Man that sucks!!!

i retract my previous statement that cotto will beat him via 10th round tko. it just hit me that i scored him losing the clottey fight and how busted up hisface gets everytime he steps in a ring lmao.... i expect it to go to the cards....and assuming this is a bob arum fight on hbo its pretty obvious who'sgetting the decision.......this fight is going to shine light on cotto regardlesss of a win or loss.....if the fight goes the way of a split decision icotto's advantage the oppurtunity's for pac are non existent as fa as blockbuster fights....if it goes the way of the cards for pacman...money is inthe picture and cotto and margarito can fight for a decent purse on hbo.....mayweather should be itching for this. he steam rolls throgh manny and cotto andmargarito are a fight or two from being shot to hell..h beats up on the winner of that and calls it a career
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
they cant be serious
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom