'09 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFF-SEASON THREAD-recruiting/Coaching Changes/Transfers

Originally Posted by DLo13

Rodney Garner staying at UGA.

Now wrap this class up with Reid, M. Brown, Starling, Charles, M. Robinson, and Massie and we'll be set.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

We're irrelevant but it looks like Clemson hired Kevin Steele from Bama as DC.
Great hire, and that's gonna make recruiting in SC that much harder.

Rodney Garner staying at UGA.

Now wrap this class up with Reid, M. Brown, Starling, Charles, M. Robinson, and Massie and we'll be set.
laugh.gif

His dumb *%! was supposed to be here but he was too stupid to qualify
indifferent.gif

BTW ddot, you all apparently stole Leon Mackey from us too today.
smh.gif
@ not holding onto recruits.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

BTW ddot, you all apparently stole Leon Mackey from us too today.
smh.gif
@ not holding onto recruits.
I had to look him up but he seems legit. I know we had gotten Jonathan Meeks, his teammate at Hargrave. I know stars aren't everything andwe need numbers, but we've got seven 4 star recruits and four 3 star. Not bad, all things considered.

Can someone give me the real run down on why Marve wants to leave? Is he even that good is the question I'm asking.

Major Applewhite could head at any big program and be successful. Won everywhere he's called a few shots at. He even gave Rice a boost.

Originally Posted by lu cash

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

does Randy Shannon have to worry about Tubby gettin a peak at the UM job? soon just wondering
He should worry, if we have another bad season in '09 he will be gone. If it was up to me he would already be on his way out the door, the way we just broke down at the end of the season was despicable to watch, 12-13 at the University of Miami is unacceptable.
Depends on your definition of a bad season.

Even if we go 5-7 next year Shannon won't get fired. Barring like 4 or less wins and the program completely collapsing Shannon is here til 2010 at least.He's actually in talks for an extension right now.

School President Donna Shalala couldn't give a F if we win another National Champ. as long as the team stays out of the news and from bad publicity. Not tomention our new AD doesn't have enough pull yet to fire Shannon. Miami being a mediocre, low-key team is just fine with her.

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Originally Posted by lu cash

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

does Randy Shannon have to worry about Tubby gettin a peak at the UM job? soon just wondering
He should worry, if we have another bad season in '09 he will be gone. If it was up to me he would already be on his way out the door, the way we just broke down at the end of the season was despicable to watch, 12-13 at the University of Miami is unacceptable.
Depends on your definition of a bad season.

Even if we go 5-7 next year Shannon won't get fired. Barring like 4 or less wins and the program completely collapsing Shannon is here til 2010 at least. He's actually in talks for an extension right now.

School President Donna Shalala couldn't give a F if we win another National Champ. as long as the team stays out of the news and from bad publicity. Not to mention our new AD doesn't have enough pull yet to fire Shannon. Miami being a mediocre, low-key team is just fine with her.

Damn that, if they get less than 7 wins this year to me there is a problem. The team should not be getting worse, IMO. If we don't improve next year we mayneed to have Randy on his way.

If we hav

How good is Greg Adkins at recruiting? I ask because Doug Marrone brought him onto his staff.

Sat Sep 5 Charleston Southern Gainesville, FL TBA
Sat Sep 12 Troy Gainesville, FL TBA
Sat Sep 19 Tennessee Gainesville, FL TBA
Sat Sep 26 at Kentucky Lexington, KY TBA
Sat Oct 10 at LSU Baton Rouge, LA TBA
Sat Oct 17 Arkansas (HC) Gainesville, FL TBA
Sat Oct 24 at Mississippi State Starkville, MS TBA
Sat Oct 31 Georgia Jacksonville, FL TBA
Sat Nov 7 Vanderbilt Gainesville, FL TBA
Sat Nov 14 at South Carolina Columbia, SC TBA
Sat Nov 21 Florida International Gainesville, FL TBA
Sat Nov 28 Florida State Gainesville, FL TBA

smh.gif

u kidding me with that crap? no high school teams u could of got Meyers to make it a little tougher? 7 home games?
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

u kidding me with that crap? no high school teams u could of got Meyers to make it a little tougher? 7 home games?
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Texas A&M's schedule is gonna be worse than that. (Not that it really matters...we're not gonna be in contention for a BCS bowl like Florida willbe.)

[table][tr][td]Date[/td] [td]Opponent / Event[/td] [td]Location[/td] [td]Time / Result[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]09/05/09[/td] [td]vs. NEW MEXICO[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]09/19/09[/td] [td]vs. UTAH STATE[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]09/26/09[/td] [td]vs. UAB[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10/03/09[/td] [td]vs. Arkansas[/td] [td]Arlington, Texas (Cowboys Stadium)[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10/10/09[/td] [td]vs. OKLAHOMA STATE[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10/17/09[/td] [td]at Kansas State[/td] [td]Manhattan, KS[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10/24/09[/td] [td]at Texas Tech[/td] [td]Lubbock, TX[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10/31/09[/td] [td]vs. IOWA STATE[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/07/09[/td] [td]at Colorado[/td] [td]Boulder, CO[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/14/09[/td] [td]at Oklahoma[/td] [td]Norman, OK[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/21/09[/td] [td]vs. BAYLOR[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]State Farm Lone Star Showdown[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/26/09[/td] [td]vs. TEXAS
media-icon-tv.gif
[/td] [td]COLLEGE STATION[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [/tr][/table]
7 home games with a game in Arlington (2.5-3 hours away)
laugh.gif

New Mexico, Utah State, UAB
laugh.gif

I don't think Shannon is THAT good of a HC but you can't fire dude until his 1st 2 recruiting classes goes all the way through, IMO.

Cause he really isn't playing w/ HIS players. He has to purge the previous regime's players out first.

ohwell.gif

[h1]Yale has hired a new head football coach.
[/h1] [h1]
[/h1] [h1]Report: Jags assistant Williams to coach Yale[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: January 6, 2009, 8:22 AM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Jacksonville Jaguars assistant Tom Williams has been hired at Yale, becoming the first black head football coach at the Ivy League school.

A person familiar with the decision confirmed the choice Monday on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not been made. The school calleda news conference for 2 p.m. Wednesday to introduce the new coach.

The 38-year-old Williams has spent the past two seasons working with the Jaguars defense and has been an assistant coach at Hawaii, Washington, Stanford and San Jose State.

"I am happy for Tom," Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said in a text message to The Associated Press. "He has shown strong leadershipqualities and is a very good communicator. This is a great opportunity for him."

Williams replaces Jack Siedlecki, who retired in November after 12 seasons to become an assistant athletic director at Yale. Siedlecki was 70-47 at theschool, including 47-37 in the Ivy League. He led the Bulldogs to a share of the conference title in 1999 and 2006, but was just 4-8 against rival Harvard andhad lost seven of the past eight games with the Crimson.

Yale went 6-4 this season, including 4-3 in the conference and a 10-0 loss to Harvard in the 125th edition of "The Game."

Siedlecki became coach after Hall of Famer Carm Cozza retired in 1996 after 32 seasons.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/kevin_armstrong/01/05/browns.fast/index.html?eref=T1http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...ex.html?eref=T1

NEW YORK -- It sounds like a parable.

Last December, Arthur Brown Jr., a 6-foot-1, 210-pound outside linebacker from East High (Wichita, Kan.), was in the final days of his recruitment. Down to five schools (USC, LSU, UNC, Miami and Florida), his parents, Lelonnie and Arthur Sr., welcomed each coaching staff to their home to make a final pitch.

Tempted by promises of playing time and images of glittering facilities, Brown decided to search within himself. Unknown to the courting coaches, Brown was in the midst of a 14-day fast with his father Arthur Sr., younger brother Bryce and trainer Brian Butler. As non-denominational Christians, the quartet lived solely on fluids until they came to a unanimous choice. Entrusting his faith to one more person, the devout linebacker slipped a typewritten letter beneath his mother's pillow as the first week ended. It read:

Mama,

Please don't negotiate or consult with anybody about this decision. Not daddy, not Bryce, B, friends, family. Nobody.

For three years, God has led me to believe that once this time came, he would speak through you, a woman's spirit. I have few ties to men in my life, but you are the only woman in my life to which I am spiritually and physically bound to.

The time is now here. I left it in His hands. You are led with capability and sufficiently by the spirit to put together this earthly piece of work. Deny yourself of the flesh and allow God to work through you throughout this moment in time.

Remember, his interests are to be my interests. Not yours, not mine should govern, control or dominate that.

Mama, take a look at everything. But in the end, just pray.

A blur on the field, Brown Jr., who runs a 4.3 40, did not slow his workouts. Mirroring his tailback brother, who is just 11 months younger, he maintained regular weightlifting sessions. Butler, who began work with the brothers when the elder was a freshman at East, maintained their nutrition with V8 Juice, water, muscle milk and tomato soup. "They weren't famished," said Butler, who makes bible study and prayer prerequisites for the 30 trainees his non-profit organization, Potential Players, develops.

By Dec. 17, Butler and Brown Sr. spoke on the phone to see where each other stood. Then they reached out to both brothers, the last being Bryce. Contacted at his girlfriend's house, the younger Brown, who is more outspoken, asked, "Who did you all choose?"

"You have to tell us on your own first," his father said.

"Well, Miami has been the school on my mind the whole time," Bryce said.

They were all in agreement.

"My girlfriend made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and gave me grapes immediately," said Bryce, who had lost eight pounds.

Less than two months after Arthur Jr.'s decision, Bryce gave Miami a verbal commitment, but he has since reconsidered his desire to follow his brother's path. During the summer, he took an unofficial visit to Purdue's campus with a group of top players from Kansas. Over Thanksgiving, he attended the intrastate rivalry game between Clemson and South Carolina in Death Valley. In coming weeks, he plans to take official visits to Coral Gables and Purdue again. "Even Arthur took two visits to Alabama because he felt a pull for a second look," Arthur Sr. said. "Bryce is just following the process."

Separated from his brother for the first time since joining the Greater Wichita Football League as youths, Bryce was slow out of the gate last fall. A starter as a freshman, he began each of his three previous 1,000-yard campaigns with a season-opening touchdown run on his first carry from scrimmage. This year it took three touches before breaking free. "My feet were stuck in the mud," said Brown, who missed his older brother. "Usually I could look around the locker room and see my brother. Instead I just tried to feel his spirit."

Adds Butler: "It seemed like he got his arm cut off."

Rated a five-star prospect, Bryce went on to rush for 1,873 yards and 29 touchdowns, but his brother struggled to see the field in Miami. Playing in 11 of 13 games, he recorded just four tackles as Miami rotated a talented freshman class into the lineup. "We picked a school that we knew was going to be patient," said Brown Sr., who denied rumors that his son was unhappy with his playing time. "Arthur's a perfectionist and wants to get everything right before he goes about it."

Though family and friends say that Arthur Jr. made the best decision for him, Butler notes that the unspoken factor was where Bryce would go the following year. Now faced with his own decision, Bryce, who won co-MVP honors at the U.S. Army All American game last Saturday, plans to retreat to a similar state of meditation and fasting later this month. Arthur Jr. promises he will not interfere unless asked, but he also knows the spiritual poem about following footprints in the sand may prove particularly apt for his younger brother's potential path to South Beach.

"I'm not going to be swayed by the nicest stadium and Miami's promising future," Bryce says. "I just want God's will to be done."

I know several of us have mentioned Charlie Strong before when talking about coaches being passed over for jobs...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/n...amp;prov=ap&type=lgns

Report: Strong says race affected opportunities
MIAMI (AP)-Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong believes race was a reason he hasn't been offered a head-coaching job during his 25 years in college football, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Strong, a 48-year-old black man, shook his head affirmatively when an Orlando Sentinel reporter asked him if his interracial marriage was a factor in getting passed over for jobs including one at a Southern school a few years ago. Strong, whose wife is white, said he heard that too many times for it to be rumor.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white," Strong said at media day Monday. "If you think about it, a coach is standing up there representing the university. If you're not strong enough to look through that (interracial marriage), then you have an issue."

There are seven black coaches at the nation's 119 major football schools after four were hired in December.

NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said last month when he said "race was the No. 1 factor" why Auburn chose Iowa State coach Gene Chizik over Buffalo coach Turner Gill. Gill, a black man, also is married to a white woman, and ESPN later reported that two Southeastern Conference coaches said Gill got passed over for the job partly because of his interracial marriage.

Strong had a message for those who hold his wife's skin color against him.

"She makes no calls and she plays no defense," Strong said.

ddot....kinda of a long shot but tajh boyd is now looking at us and is taking an official visit. Since signing Bryce McNeal, he has been pushing Boyd to cometo Clemson. Also heard things of Bryce Brown really liking Clemson...but he stands very solid at The U. His brother is the one who told him to look around andBryce Brown did say he really liked Clemson, slim to none on that though. Tajh would be HUGE though.

Originally Posted by its murder 187

ddot....kinda of a long shot but tajh boyd is now looking at us and is taking an official visit. Since signing Bryce McNeal, he has been pushing Boyd to come to Clemson. Also heard things of Bryce Brown really liking Clemson...but he stands very solid at The U. His brother is the one who told him to look around and Bryce Brown did say he really liked Clemson, slim to none on that though. Tajh would be HUGE though.
I was just about to come in here and post this.

Marlon is coming to Cbus...bet.

I know several of us have mentioned Charlie Strong before when talking about coaches being passed over for jobs...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-bcschampionship-strong&prov=ap&type=lgnshttp://rivals.yahoo.com/n...amp;prov=ap&type=lgns

Report: Strong says race affected opportunities
MIAMI (AP)-Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong believes race was a reason he hasn't been offered a head-coaching job during his 25 years in college football, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Strong, a 48-year-old black man, shook his head affirmatively when an Orlando Sentinel reporter asked him if his interracial marriage was a factor in getting passed over for jobs including one at a Southern school a few years ago. Strong, whose wife is white, said he heard that too many times for it to be rumor.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white," Strong said at media day Monday. "If you think about it, a coach is standing up there representing the university. If you're not strong enough to look through that (interracial marriage), then you have an issue."

There are seven black coaches at the nation's 119 major football schools after four were hired in December.

NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said last month when he said "race was the No. 1 factor" why Auburn chose Iowa State coach Gene Chizik over Buffalo coach Turner Gill. Gill, a black man, also is married to a white woman, and ESPN later reported that two Southeastern Conference coaches said Gill got passed over for the job partly because of his interracial marriage.

Strong had a message for those who hold his wife's skin color against him.

"She makes no calls and she plays no defense," Strong said.

I alluded to that in a couple posts in another thread, maybe the long college football one. I had been hearing that for more than a few years,specifically when Strong was a hot commodity toward the end of his tenure at South Carolina and that having a white wife may have affected his opportunitieseven more than just the color of his skin. It's sad but it's real.

ddot....kinda of a long shot but tajh boyd is now looking at us and is taking an official visit. Since signing Bryce McNeal, he has been pushing Boyd to come to Clemson. Also heard things of Bryce Brown really liking Clemson...but he stands very solid at The U. His brother is the one who told him to look around and Bryce Brown did say he really liked Clemson, slim to none on that though. Tajh would be HUGE though.
Boyd would definitely be a nice pickup. Brown isn't gonna happen but I'm not as concerned about the RB position. It does say somethingthat Clemson is even still in consideration for a lot of bigtime recruits considering everything that happened. I expect a small class but as long as we getsome quality, that'll work. The Gator Bowl, specifically the 2nd half, wasn't too encouraging but at least Cullen Harper will be gone.
I should just join Rivals for the next month, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot and I have NO info at Clemson anymore.

tired.gif

roll.gif
, you know the drill, can't schedule a decent OOC opponent becausethe SEC is so tough.

Looks like Rey got in trouble for dancing behind Erin Andrews:

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/01/uscs-rey-maualu.html[/h1]
[h1]USC's Rey Maualuga apologizes to ESPN's Erin Andrews, school says[/h1]
8:39 PM, January 6, 2009

Responding to inquiries from media outlets, USC issued a statement regarding a video that captured linebacker Rey Maualuga dancing behind unsuspecting ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews before the Rose Bowl game.

"The situation was addressed immediately," the statement said. "Rey both e-mailed and spoke to Erin and apologized to her. He realized he made a mistake and used poor judgment. He deeply regrets his actions."

Andrews has declined to comment. Maualuga could not be reached for comment.

"We appreciate the apology," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said.

-- Gary Klein

Probably just a formality,
laugh.gif

[h1]Defensive coordinator Nick Holt leaving USC[/h1]

Nick Ut / Associated Press

USC defensive coordinator Nick Holt, photographed on Dec. 29, will join new Washington Coach Steve Sarkisian's staff.

Steve Sarkisian, new coach at Washington, says Holt will be his defensive coordinator. He is the sixth former USC assistant or administrative staffer hired by Sarkisian, formerly the Trojans' offensive coordinator.

By Gary Klein
January 6, 2009
USC's coaching staff, already in a state of flux on offense, will change next season on defense as well.

New Washington Coach Steve Sarkisian, formerly USC's offensive coordinator, on Monday said Trojans defensive coordinator Nick Holt would join his staff.

Holt, 46, will become the Huskies' defensive coordinator and will also have the title of assistant head coach.

"It's official," Sarkisian said by phone from Seattle, where a Monday afternoon news conference to announce Holt's hiring was rescheduled for today. "We're getting a great coach and a great recruiter."

Neither Holt nor USC Coach Pete Carroll could be reached for comment.

Holt has been USC's defensive coordinator for three seasons. He was a member of Carroll's first staff, serving as linebackers coach for three seasons, then left to become head coach at Idaho in 2004.

After going 5-18 in two years at Idaho, Holt had accepted a job as an assistant with the St. Louis Rams in 2006 when Carroll coaxed him back to USC as defensive coordinator.

Terms of Holt's deal with Washington were not announced, but one reason that post could be more attractive to him than the USC position is that he will have more control. Carroll, who served as his own defensive coordinator from 2001-2005, still has considerable influence over that unit. The Trojans finished the 2008 regular season ranked No. 1 nationally in total defense.

Holt is the sixth USC coach or administrative staff member hired by Sarkisian, joining Dennis Slutak, director of football operations; Jared Blank, director of player personnel; strength coaches Ivan Lewis and Charr Gahagan, and Demetrice Martin, a former graduate assistant who will coach Huskies defensive backs.

Holt initially turned down overtures to join Washington's staff after Sarkisian was hired as Tyrone Willingham's successor in December. But when USC secondary coach Rocky Seto declined an offer to become the Huskies' defensive coordinator, Sarkisian once again pursued Holt.

"It's been ongoing," Sarkisian said. "I didn't want to do anything until after the [Rose Bowl]."

Seto, 32, is regarded as a top candidate to replace Holt as USC defensive coordinator. Seto has been on the staff since 1999 when he was a volunteer assistant for Paul Hackett. He has coached linebackers and defensive backs under Carroll.

Linebackers coach Ken Norton also could figure in the coordinator equation as Carroll reconfigures his staff.

Carroll, who has repeatedly talked about the importance of continuity, promoted receivers coach John Morton to replace Sarkisian as offensive coordinator. Carl Smith is expected to rejoin the staff as quarterbacks coach, possibly by the end of this week. But Carroll has not yet announced who will call plays next season.

[email protected]

I liked Nick Holt, but I understand why he left, Seto or Norton will step in as DC.

FSU and USF just scheduled a home and home for '09 and '12.

FSU at home in '09 and USF at home in '12.

The game next season is like a week before they play scUM on thanksgiving. USF has a 5 Yr/Game contract w/ UM

USF has UFaG on the schedule in '10 and '15, but both of those are in Gaynesville.

Now they can stop complaining about not getting a shot at the big 3.

Should be interesting to say the least...

Originally Posted by GetLikeMe

I was just about to come in here and post this.

Marlon is coming to Cbus...bet.
I like what I'm hearing...but in the end, I think he stays south.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I liked Nick Holt, but I understand why he left, Seto or Norton will step in as DC.
Seto taking over as DC. Jethro Franklin is new D-Line coach and Ken Norton Jr. Assistant HC for Defense.

Scout says that Boyd has trimmed his list. Any news on this guy?

Back
Top Bottom