09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

hmmm I wake up to rumors of UF pulling Robert Clark's scholly offer ...
also UF is offering D. Riley again and added an offer to Jeremy Deering

if thats true, Elam=FSU

Florida HS coaches don't believe Urban Meyer, at least one thinks he did it for recruiting...

From Dwyer HC Daniels (school of Elam, etc.)
"They were definitely not going to go to Florida if (Meyer left)," Daniels said. "Matt wouldn't even say a word today. That's how upset and frustrated he was.

"It's still kind of a weird situation. I think the plan was to settle things down because they we're going to lose a bunch of kids."

Yup.

FSU going after Deering too.

Clark leaning to UT now? Or back w/ WVU ?

Latest has Clark and Elam no longer being EE's and taking more visits in January. Elam supposedly is gonna play B-Ball this year. We'll see.

Clark = Lamarcus Joyner Lite. I hope we Nab this guy. supposedly we lead for Clark

btw Dwyer is gonna be a new powerhouse, theyve got so many players on deck for 2011 and 2012

O yeah, T Rex is taking a Tallahassee visit real soon. if yall get him the CB position is back at FSU

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Clark = Lamarcus Joyner Lite. I hope we Nab this guy. supposedly we lead for Clark
That's hefty praise bro. LJ is something like a animal. I gotta look for more clips of him.
btw Dwyer is gonna be a new powerhouse, theyve got so many players on deck for 2011 and 2012

Curt Maggitt and Nick O'leary. I know they was leaning Gator....
O yeah, T Rex is taking a Tallahassee visit real soon. if yall get him the CB position is back at FSU
Yessir, January 8th. And we're gonna/should have our WHOLE staff in place by then. Owwwwww,� Lock that boy up

January could be as nice as if not better than December if we can lock up guys like Shaw, Jones, Green, T-Rex,� and *crosses fingers* Lemonier. I like the kidDeering too, he's one of those athletes that UF/LSU seems to stockpile to play WR or Safety. 6'3 195-200 LB athlete.

Looking towards 2011, yet ANOTHER hard hitting DB outta the 305:

sick.gif
pimp.gif

I dunno about the LB move.

Major and Spence got 3 inches and 25-30 pounds on dude. And that's when they came into school.

I think he sticks at DB.

I could see if he was 6'0, 6'1 then maybe. Plus, he looks to be capable of playing LB. He doesn't look like a 4th LB playing safety.

Did y'all officially drop that DB from Pahokee?

Analyzing recruiting grades via Alabama and Texas by Bruce Feldman
Monday, December 28, 2009

Since there was no mailbag last Friday due to the holidays, I'm leading today with a response to something a few of you had asked about in regard to the Wall Street Journal story titled "Top Recruiting isn't a Prerequisite for a BCS Berth." You can find the piece here.

Here's the essential takeaway:

"If bowl season teaches fans anything, it's that getting top recruits doesn't guarantee success. In this year's 34 bowls, half of the participating teams didn't have a single starter in their final regular-season game that was considered a top-100 prospect in high school, according to recruiting Web site Rivals.com. The Count analyzed 1,496 bowl-game starters and found that just 8.4% of them were top-100 recruits."

The first sentence is true -- but then things get murky. Stockpiling talent and the fact about half of the FBS teams end up in bowl games makes this a faulty formula to begin with. As we've talked about a lot in the past year or two, you have to be amazed at the job of evaluating and developing players that schools such as TCU, Boise State, Oregon State and some others do. But I think it is very curious to see how the supposed heavyweights do when they sign similarly rated recruits.

Years ago I found it fascinating that the best Miami players when UM was on top were actually the guys who came into the program with the least hype. I'd once broached the subject with Ed Reed -- one of those low-rated recruits who had picked Miami over Tulane -- and he pointed out that those guys had the most drive and determination to prove they were better than all of the supposed blue-chips. The core of Miami's 34-game winning streak earlier this decade was two- and three-star guys: Reed, Ken Dorsey, Jon Vilma, Jeremy Shockey.

Now compare that to all of the UM's "five-star" recruits, signed from 2002 to 2007: Devin Hester, Ryan Moore, Greg Olsen, Kyle Wright, Lance Leggett, Tyler McMeans, Willie Williams, Kenny Phillips, Reggie Youngblood. Of that list, only Hester, Olsen and Phillips lived up to expectations.

To dig a little deeper on this, I was curious to see how the non-four-star and five-star recruits do at the high-profile schools, and the results -- at least anecdotally -- are intriguing. Just look at the two teams in the BCS title game and how well their lesser-regarded recruits have done. If we bypass the 2009 class -- because it's too soon to get much of an accurate gauge on those recruits -- you see a quite an impact by the lesser-touted recruits.

Texas Longhorns

In 2005, Texas signed 15 players according to the Rivals.com database; the school itself says there were 14 players brought in that year.

Texas, via a spokesman, said five of the six players that are no longer at Texas are in the NFL; that sixth player, DE Aaron Lewis, started 15 games in Austin. The group that remains at UT all got national title rings for their redshirt freshman seasons. Interestingly enough, the best of what remains is a quartet of three-star recruits: Colt McCoy, LB Roddrick Muckelroy (UT's leading tackler) and O-linemen Chris Hall and Charlie Tanner (both three-year starters). That's some haul for such a small class.

In 2006, UT signed 12 players labeled as three-star recruits. Among them: starting TE Greg Smith; LB Dustin Earnest, who has started and has 25 tackles this season; and kicker Hunter Lawrence, who won the Big 12 title game and will be a UT hero for the rest of his life.

In 2007, Texas signed six three-stars or below. Among them, Sam Acho is the team's top pass-rusher with nine sacks.

In 2008, UT's class had eight three-stars or less. Emmanuel Acho, the team's third linebacker (10 tackles for loss), is considered a rising star; two-star DB Blake Gideon is already a two-year starter and Tre Newton, a redshirt freshman, is the team's leading rusher. (One of those other three-star recruits, WR Antoine Hicks, never made it to UT and now plays at TCU instead and averaged 23 yards per catch on 19 receptions for six TDs.)

Let's look at Bama now.

Alabama Crimson Tide

The talent pool at Alabama is also an interesting mix when it comes to the unheralded recruits, although the returns aren't at the same level as they were with UT.

In 2005, Bama actually had 26 recruits labeled as three-stars or less. Former starting QB John Parker Wilson was one of them. So were LB Cory Reamer, the Tide's fifth-leading tackler, and starting DE Brandon Deaderick -- not to mention former starters Marlon Davis and Glen Coffee, who finished up at Alabama last season.

In 2006, Bama signed 11 three-stars. Among them: Javier Arenas (All-American CB/returnman) and starting QB Greg McElroy.

In '07, there were 14 three-stars or less -- a group which included starting center William Vlachos and starting WR Marquis Maze.

In '08, a class with nine three-star recruits or below included All-American NT Terrence Cody and DL Marcel Dareus (the team's top pass-rusher with 6.5 sacks).

Of course, Bama's been led by blue-chippers Rolando McClain, Mark Ingram and Julio Jones -- but Arenas, Cody and McElroy have arguably had almost as big an impact.

Haven't heard anything lately on Buxton.

Spence was prob about the same size as a junior though. He played at 200 just last year. He could easily come in, RS a year, and bulk up.

Nick Oleary is a Georgia Bulldog. his Moms went there, his dad went there and he loves the school.
btw his grandpa is Golf great Jack Nicklaus

[h2]Suit vs. Bush to proceed in court[/h2]

Comment Email Print Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Reggie Bush has lost his bid to go to confidential arbitration to settle a lawsuit filed by a fledgling sports marketer.

The state Court of Appeal on Monday upheld a lower court's order denying Bush's motion to compel arbitration with Lloyd Lake, meaning the case will proceed in court.

Lake's attorney, Brian Watkins, said it was Bush's last-ditch effort to keep the case out of the public eye.

Lake is suing Bush and his parents to recoup nearly $300,000 in cash and gifts they allegedly accepted during Bush's sophomore and junior seasons at University of Southern California. Lake and his partner, Michael Michaels, were trying to attract Bush as a client for the marketing firm, New Era.

Like many coaches around the country, Kiffin has questions about how Florida and Meyer will try and handle things with recruiting visits. If Meyer has already made an in home visit does that mean that acting head coach Steve Addizo can't make a visit in that home? Is Meyer not allowed to make phone calls? Is Meyer allowed to participate in on campus visits? It's questions that Kiffin and other schools are seeking answers to before coaches are allowed to be on the road next week.

Kiffin indicated on Tuesday that he was calling SEC Commissioner Mike Slive that afternoon.

UCLA...
smh.gif

I shouldnt have expected them to show up in the cold weather all the way across the country

OKAY Bruins with the answer

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I feel bad for Temple. Coach Golden will not be there after next yr, No Way No How ...

sick.gif
QB#14

laugh.gif
@ you making this a 33 point game not your lock 34 like that one extra point matters

Unless someone hacked my picks there is NO WAY in Hell I have UCLA as 33 points

**I just looked, BigMike has this at 33 points not me LOL

my bad, quoted the wrong post. I only got 5 points on this game but i knew i shoulda went with my gut picked temple. Only reason UCLA is even in a bowl gamewas because army lost
smh.gif

Quote from Terrence Murphy's Facebook...
It is amazing that two coaches in the Big 12 are getting negative press for mis-treating players on their football teams. WOW, Coach Fran treated players at A&M like this the day he arrived at A&M. Now that I am a man, looking back it hurts my heart to know how many of my teammates will never come back to A&M because o...f those antics, and how many kid's life was altered because of it.
Not surprising at all, really... Odd though, given how hard Stephen McGee and some others apparently fought for Fran's job andhad his back all the way to the end...

Back
Top Bottom