09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

[h1]Expansion would boost Pac-10 but leave wake of disruption[/h1]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] Feel the ground shifting,college football? It should be shaking under your feet by now. In fact,it might be a good idea to head to the nearest doorway to avoid fallingdebris. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Caused by crumbling conferences. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]It seems the game, as we know it, is in for another round of expansionearthquakes. With Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott's announcement thisweek that, "we're looking at [expansion] very seriously," it's clearupheaval is on the horizon again. The Big Ten already is two monthsinto exploring the addition of a 12th team (at least). [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]It's only been five years since the ACC ripped apart major collegeathletics when it expanded. But this is bigger. Not since expansion bythe SEC and Big 12 in the 90s could the whims of two power conferencesimpact the sport as much. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Domino effect? By the beginning of the 2011 season, the Big 12 might belooking for two new members. It's still early in the process, but itlooks like Missouri (to the Big Ten) and Colorado (to the Pac-10) areprime candidates to leave the Big 12. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]"For this round, I think we can expect the Big Ten probably will go to12 and it sounds like the Pac-10 will go to 12, or at least take a longlook at it," said Neal Pilson, a noted sports television consultant andformer president of CBS Sports. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]That's only the beginning of the process. Such a loss would cause the14-year-old Big 12 to look for new members from other vulnerableconferences. And so on, and so on down the institutional food chain.When the ACC expanded in 2005, the aftershocks reached all the way downto the Mid-American Conference. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Whatever happens, if the Big Ten and Pac-10 expand and each addchampionship games, we could officially welcome in the era of thesuper-conference. Five of the current six BCS leagues would each have12 teams (at least). [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]When it all shakes out, the BCS could be a side issue. The real concernwould be the consolidation of power and money by a group of eliteschools within the BCS. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] For now, here's the fallout both short and long-term: [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] How we got here:The SEC and Big Ten drove the latest round of potential conferenceexpansions with their most recent media deals. In July, the SECfinalized a 15-year, $3 billion deal with ESPN and CBS. The 2½-year-oldBig Ten Network was part of a 25-year, $2.8 million deal in partnershipwith DirecTV and FOX. There is another 10-year deal with ESPN for $1billion. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] No other conference measures up. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]It was more than notable that on Monday, Pac-10 commissioner LarryScott hired former Big Ten deputy commissioner and Big 12 commissionerKevin Weiberg as the Pac-10's chief operating officer. Weiberg spent adecade working with Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and after eightyears with the Big 12, he returned in 2007 to oversee the Big TenNetwork start-up. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]At the Pac-10, Weiberg will be trying to maximize the Pac-10's TVrevenue through a better television package and/or expansion. Havingworked for Delany, arguably the most powerful man in college sports, heknows where Big Ten expansion is headed. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]"Very rarely does Jim engage in something like this [expansion] withoutit being significant," Weiberg said. "My take is this is a very seriousthing." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The most lucrative deal in college sports history puts the SEC in adominant position, both financially and athletically. As the TVcontracts now stand, annual SEC football doormat Vanderbilt makes $7million more a year than Big 12 power Texas ($7 million-$10 million). [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] In a down economy, the have nots have to do something. It is no coincidence that SEC schools have won the last four consecutive BCS title games. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] What it means for everyone else:Playing catch up. The Pac-10's TV deals expire after the 2011-2012season and it will be in negotiations for a new deal within a year.There has been speculation about a possible Pac-10 network (possibly inpartnership with the Big 12 and/or ACC) as well as that expanded leaguefeaturing a championship game. [/font]

[table][tr][td]Analysis[/td][/tr][tr][td]
rayratto50x50.jpg
Ray Ratto
The Pac-10 is pondering expansion? No matter which conferences are bitten, it will get messy. Read more
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Link[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Pac-10 to look into expansion possibilities
[/td][/tr][/table]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The Big 12's deals are staggered. The current $480 million agreementwith ABC/ESPN goes through 2016. A separate $78 million deal with FOXgoes through 2012. Missouri has been publicly critical of the Big 12'sunequal revenue distribution. More ominous for the Big 12, Missourisaid it would be receptive to interest from the Big Ten. Syracuse,Pittsburgh and Rutgers also remain possibilities for the Big Ten. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]This is the latest round of change brought on by the landmark SupremeCourt decision in 1984 that allowed individual conferences (and teams)to negotiate TV contracts on their own. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The shuffling essentially began in 1990 when Notre Dame left the oldCollege Football Association to negotiate its own TV deal. Former SECcommissioner Roy Kramer discovered a loophole in the NCAA rules thatallowed his league to invite Arkansas and South Carolina, expand to 12teams and stage a championship game beginning in 1992. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]That move nudged the Southwest Conference and Big Eight to begin talksin the mid-1990s. Apart, the two leagues could not exist financially.The SWC brand already had been damaged by repeated NCAA problems. TheBig Eight took in four SWC schools (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech,Baylor) to create the Big 12 beginning in 1996. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The Big 12 became the second conference with a championship game. Thefirst contract, $100 million with ABC and Liberty Media, seems puny bytoday's standards. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The BCS formed in 1998, further consolidating the earning power of thesix power conferences. In subsequent years, the WAC, MAC, ConferenceUSA and ACC added championship games with varying degrees of success.The Mountain West created its own network (The Mtn.) in September of2006. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Toward the end of his tenure as Big 12 commissioner (1998-2007),Weiberg was a proponent of a Big 12 network, but the subject never gottraction within the league. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]A network was, "almost overly complicated," to consider but,"strategically for the Big 12, it had value," Weiberg said. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Maybe that's why the Big Ten has the most successful collegiatenetwork. It is in 73 million homes, taking advantage of a "footprint"that includes a quarter of the country's population in the Big Tenregion. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]"To do a conference network, you really need a success story and youhave that with the Big Ten," Pilson said, "which is the most logicalconference to start a network given the states they're in andpopulation." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]That record SEC deal came together shortly before the economy tanked.Short of a college football playoff (see below), re-positioning itselfwithin the marketplace (expansion, networks, etc.) is the best way fora conference to add value. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] [table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] However, Pilson warns there is a limit to the rights fees for the 66 schools in the BCS. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]"There is a finite number that the networks can pay for collegefootball," Pilson said. "Frankly, television can probably do a nicetelevision package with 30 BCS schools, not 60. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]"I think the magic number is probably 30 or 40. The colleges better becareful that they don't get what they're asking for, [which] iscomplete freedom to make TV deals because TV is basically interested inthe big schools. I'm talking about the bigger schools within the bigconferences." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] How expansion impacts a college football playoff: ThePac-10 and Big Ten are two traditionally conservative leagues tied tothe Rose Bowl. The conferences and a bowl are all adamantly opposed toa playoff. With each conference potentially playing a championship game-- a huge step in itself -- it's hard envisioning those conferencepresidents signing off on a playoff that could expand the season evenfurther. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Short answer: Super conferences are bad for you playoff proponents. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] How it will shake out:It's way early but, as mentioned, Missouri to the Big Ten and Coloradoto the Pac-10 seem to be the early favorites. Big 12 commissioner DanBeebe already has indicated there wasn't much the conference to do todeter a team from leaving. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]That still leaves the Pac-10 with one more team to add, but first,let's eliminate Texas and Notre Dame from the equation. Either schoolwould be a slam dunk for the Big Ten -- if they were interested. Butmultiple sources say that Notre Dame is committed to its independentstatus. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Texas was mentioned in the 1990s as a possible Pac-10 addition beforethe Big 12 was formed. The geographic limitations still exist -- Texasisn't contiguous to any state with a Big Ten or Pac-10 school. Plus,the Big Ten shares its revenue equally. One reason Missouri favors theBig Ten is the Big 12's unbalanced revenue sharing formula. It's also abig reason Texas would favor staying in the Big 12 because as it is onTV more often, Texas makes significantly more than, say, Baylor. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]In the Pac-10, Utah, BYU and San Diego State have been mentioned alongwith Colorado. Both Utah and BYU could deliver the Salt Lake Citymarket. San Diego State is struggling mightily in football but bringingthe Pac-10 to the market would create a seamless coverage area for theconference from Seattle to the Mexican border. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Neither Fresno State nor Boise State has the market or earning power ofthe other four schools to be considered in the Pac-10. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The Big East has been nervous about the loss of any combination ofSyracuse/Pittsburgh/Rutgers to the Big Ten. It might be easy to ruleout Pittsburgh because the conference already has a presence inPennsylvania with Penn State. Pilson isn't the only one who saysneither Syracuse nor Rutgers deliver the New York market for the BigTen. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The Big East has financial penalties in place for schools that wouldleave the conference. However, those are meant more to bolster theexisting schools financially than to keep a school from leaving. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]That leaves Missouri, in a state that shares a border with Iowa andIllinois, homes of Big Ten schools. In addition, it has been ratherpublic about its academic profile being more of a match for the Big Tenthe Big 12. That fact wasn't lost on Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]"I'm not going to say anything bad about the Big 12," Nixon was quotedas saying in December, "but when you compare Oklahoma State toNorthwestern, when you compare Texas Tech to Wisconsin, I mean, youbegin looking at educational possibilities that are worth looking at." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]That comment could add some rancor to the next Big 12 meeting. Thereare already tremors rippling through the sport. Have your feet firmlyplanted. Whether it's the meeting room or the sideline, the ground isabout to shake. [/font]

Didnt see it posted but michigan offered Cardale Jones QB from Glenville. Maybe penn st too...?
What's the word on Jarrard Randall? Ohio State offered him along w/ Braxton. His coach played for Tress at YSU...any chance he leaves Florida?

I think depending on how things go that could be good in terms of Braxton coming to cbus and not uf. (by randall not coming..)

Originally Posted by KingJames23

I was in a hurry when i typed that
laugh.gif

The thing is, they are such different players it could work. We did it with Cam and Brantley. Granted we never saw how that would have played out. But it's the idea that if LeMay came in and won the job he'd run a Leak/Brantley offense. Then Randall could come in as the runner in specific situations. Randall would very likely take a RS year.
Honestly, I don't see LeMay going for that. Why go to UF and do that, when he can go be the man @ Oklahoma? And it not working out for Brantley and Newton might weigh in as well.
LeMay talks about the spread like it's the devil. I just think withScot as the QB coach and seeing how the offense will look this yearwill put him at ease. Taking 2 QB's is just a gut feeling for me.Without taking Randall I'd feel good about LeMay but it's tough tobring in 2 good QBs in the same class. If we offer Randall it's done.
That's because it is the devil for the majority of players going into the next Level. Lemay is an EE, and I thought he said he was going to make his decision by August? Meaning that y'all won't have time to show him what the new looked offense is going to look like. But you're right, it's hard to bring in 2 blue chip QB's in the same class. Hopefully y'all land Randall pretty soon
tongue.gif

At the next level Wilder is a DE all the way. That's what UF told himand that's what USC told him. Miami is saying RB which is what hewants. If Urban told him he'd be a RB it'd be a wrap. He's still gonnabe a Gator but it may take longer than expected.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. His future is on the defensive side of the ball. Didn't he have something like 140 tackles and 22 sacks this year?
laugh.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

yea wilder is probably gonna end up in gainesville. timmy jernigan too
“When I first heard about all of those guys coming in, I was like, ‘Wow,

That would be a killer to the big 12 if they lost UT.

Sucks Dixon couldn't qualify either. More embarrassment of riches for the likes of Navarro and Blinn lol

[h2]Big Ten making overtures to … Texas[/h2]

February 11, 2010

Asource with ties to the Big Ten said that while most people’s attentionhas been trained on the conference stealing Missouri, the Big Ten hasengaged in “preliminary exchanges

Sounding like Christian Westerman is going to stop by Michigans Junior Day next weekend. That would be nice just for him to get on campus. Had some luck with AZ 2 years ago with Lewan and Roh. I put the chances Michigan is a serious player at around 2% but hell at least we are getting a look.

dreClark wrote:And it not working out for Brantley and Newton might weigh in as well.

It only ended badly because Cam went and jacked some laptops. We never saw how that 2 QB system worked out.

That's because it is the devil for the majority of players going into the next Level. Lemay is an EE, and I thought he said he was going to make his decision by August? Meaning that y'all won't have time to show him what the new looked offense is going to look like. But you're right, it's hard to bring in 2 blue chip QB's in the same class. Hopefully y'all land Randall pretty soon
tongue.gif

Principles of the spread are starting to work it's way into the NFL. The NFL will never look like CFB obviously but some NFL teams are adapting some spread principles. A lot of talents translate to the NFL regardless of the offense you ran in college. If he came to UF it's not gonna be in shotgun 100% of the time. Scot's NFL record speaks for itself as well.

He said that but I doubt he has his decision wrapped up by August. So many variables

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. His future is on the defensive side of the ball. Didn't he have something like 140 tackles and 22 sacks this year?
laugh.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Something like that. Sharrif, Powell, Wilder, Easley, Timmy all on the DL in a few years is gonna be disgusting.

But UF been on dude since like 7th grade so he might just go there w/ all those dudes coming in before him
laugh.gif

The fact that he's been a huge Gator fan growing up helps too. His worst sports moment was UF losing to Bama this year. \

Anyone trying to take him from UF has a hell of a lot to overcome.

I've been hearing that Texas to the Big Ten stuff for a bit now...I just don't see it happening.  If that's the case, you might as well grab OU and Mizzou and go to 14 teams. 

That conference would be INSANE.
laugh.gif
sick.gif
smh.gif

The good thing is that it looks like 12 schools/teams is inevitable...Who? is the question.  My money is on Pitt at the moment.

Texas has reasons to really consider it...

Money, better academic conference, Big10 Network = even more exposure... Gotta figure they keep OU and/or A&M on the schedule plus pick up OSU, Michigan, etc...
sick.gif

Rumor is A&M might try to lure Trooper Taylor as full-time OC/WR coach to replace Nolan Cromwell..

It'll be interesting to see if Texas to the B10 is a legit possibility. I would be shocked if the Texas legislature let Texas go to the big 10 w/out A&M. Texas was set to join the Pac 10 and A&M was going to join the SEC but politics plus Baylor and Texas Tech's influence in the legislature (Gov. Ann Richards was a Baylor alum) led to the forming of the big 12 instead.

laugh.gif
going from prime time games on ABC family networks to being invovled in the Noon game with Pam Ward and Chris Spielman in the booth
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Troop from Texas, he might as well dip (get him out the SEC please)

I think he pulled Trovon, Dyer, Lemonier and Shon Coleman

I can't imagine Texas can make that decision independent of Texas A&M... Not sure if Tech and Baylor will have as much influence this time around, though..

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
going from prime time games on ABC family networks to being invovled in the Noon game with Pam Ward and Chris Spielman in the booth
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Troop from Texas, he might as well dip (get him out the SEC please)

I think he pulled Trovon, Dyer, Lemonier and Shon Coleman
True about game times... Gotta think Big10 would be able to work something out with Disney though... Texas/OSU/Michigan
sick.gif

And ain't it about time Troop got a shot to call a game? Has he even had a co-OC tag anywhere? Seems like dude has paid his dues... He'd be a huge, huge get for A&M... It appears Sherman is at least trying to hire the right guys this time around...

Back
Top Bottom