10,000 people apply for 400 jobs at new Wal Mart

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...tfollo_0111.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab#

For the fourth consecutive day, people waited in long lines Thursday for a shot at a job at a new Wal-Mart in DeKalb County, pushing the total number ofapplicants beyond 10,000.

That's four times the entire population of Avondale Estates, the community next to the planned Memorial Drive store.
[table][tr][td]

Joey Ivansco/AJC

(ENLARGE)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Payton Ranson (front) was in line with about 75 people outside the St. Philip AME Church in Decatur before 9 a.m. Thursday to apply for a job at the new Wal-Mart at the old Avondale Mall.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

Joey Ivansco/AJC

(ENLARGE)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Shantica Riley (right) of College Park and Cleo Moore of Decatur are among the more than 10,000 people who have applied so far for 350 to 400 jobs at the Wal-Mart near Avondale Estates.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]HOW TO APPLY
Must apply in person at St. Philip AME Church, 240 Candler Road, Atlanta. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday until Jan. 18.

RELATED:
More DeKalb news
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
Beginning Monday, after virtually no advertising or any signs, the throngs of hopeful applicants continued to pour into a church converted into a jobprocessing center - all vying for only 350 to 400 available jobs, according to Wal-Mart officials.

The job-seeking frenzy may be a peek into a larger economic picture. A report from the U.S. Labor Department last week indicated a surprising plunge in jobcreation by private employers in November, with new jobs far below the level needed to keep pace with population growth.

Christine Roberts, a 39-year-old married mother of six, is hoping to get a job at the Wal-Mart deli. Roberts, who has long worked as a nursing assistant inSandy Springs, wants a job closer to her Decatur home. At the Memorial Drive store, "I could walk to work," she said Thursday after filling out herapplication.

Wal-Mart has long declined to reveal starting salaries at the store, but reports that the average hourly wage for regular full-time associates is $10.65 anhour.

Kamal Oliver, an employment and training analyst with DeKalb Workforce Development, a county organization that helped facilitate Wal-Mart's job fairthis week, said the turnout dwarfed the numbers of job hunters who applied for a job last year at the Wal-Mart on Chamblee Tucker Road in north DeKalbCounty.

"This says to me that a lot of people are looking for work," he said.

Shhhhhh.....and I'm the __ walking up and down the line selling "stuff" like $%%! THAT! Walmart ain't got this fam.

The economy is baddddddddd. They were having a discussion on fox news about this. About us....the "lil man". I mean.....I hope this is not me....andI doubt it will be...but this%$*+ saddens my heart......when u see grown@$!! folk(in their 40's...50's...and EVEN 60's) working minimal jobs outhere...and can barely survive smh....like damn shouldn't u be retired and have a house/or nice apartment. I wish everyone could get rich...seriously.

I'll take that over people sitting at home waiting for a handout. Sucks though because I've heard so manycomplaints about how Wal-Mart treats their workers and drives small shops out of business. There's a documentary about Wal-Mart somebody sent me; hopefullyI can find it.

EDIT:

Walmart - High Cost of Low Prices

Gonna finally watch this in a little bit.

All major retailers like Walmart, Target, Kmart are crappy jobs...under-appreciated workers and terrible pay/hours

Originally Posted by iwhohavenothing

The economy is baddddddddd. They were having a discussion on fox news about this. About us....the "lil man". I mean.....I hope this is not me....and I doubt it will be...but this%$*+ saddens my heart......when u see grown@$!! folk(in their 40's...50's...and EVEN 60's) working minimal jobs out here...and can barely survive smh....like damn shouldn't u be retired and have a house/or nice apartment. I wish everyone could get rich...seriously.

yea man its real out here though. health insurance is crazy expensive, kids college cost more. electric bill goin up more and more, gas. Lot of ppl is justpickin up extra work or they outta work.

^ ur right lurkin....ish is so real out here that u got people making a good salary...picking up minimal jobs to take care of otha bills. Itsfunny......everything goes up(gas,food.etc...) but yet....the wages never go up smfh

^ ur right lurkin....ish is so real out here that u got people making a good salary...picking up minimal jobs to take care of otha bills. Its funny......everything goes up(gas,food.etc...) but yet....the wages never go up smfh

son ill give you an example. thats why i brought up health insurance. My mom 50, but insurance classify her as overweight and she got high blood pressure.word to everything her*%*% 550 a month right now cuz she her own boss. thats just 550 a month from insurance, then factor her work bills, house bills, collegebills, food, car insurance, car notes, lol etc. its crazy. yea man its real. But NT so funny they think they gonna be ballin right outta school and such aneverything gonna be so easy they can buy sneakers and other things with no problem. Theyll see. Hope things pick up.

Yea lurkin....see...that's why/if you can its important so save cash. Ish I'm on my grind (as far as that aspect goes) rite now...but I know once Iaccumlate some major bills..its probably be gone
laugh.gif

Yea lurkin....see...that's why/if you can its important so save cash. Ish I'm on my grind (as far as that aspect goes) rite now...but I know once I accumlate some major bills..its probably be gone
laugh.gif
i hear that. dudes just gotta do the best they can an get they priorities first. we not even gonna get social security they say right?

eek.gif
wow @ 10,000 people applying.

It's kind of conflicting in that there are good sides/bad sides, mostly the bad side.

Wal-Mart, the local businesses' killer

damn most of the people in line are blk....
smh.gif
i look at this for motivation....i cant let that be me.....i just cant

savin cash is cool and I guess smart. But I dont think cash mattered in the depression, not saying we're going back to there, but lol I know MY pocketsdepressed.

Sucks though because I've heard so many complaints about how Wal-Mart treats their workers and drives small shops out of business.
Right,wal-mart isn't the best place to work at or for so if 10,000 people are looking to work there it just shows youwhat type of problems we are facing.

laugh.gif
Good luck because the chances thatit wont be you,me or anyone else is slim.Cats with 4yr degree's really gonna wig-out when

Originally Posted by FlyDaily

damn most of the people in line are blk....
smh.gif

Second time in two/three days I agree with you. Keep preachin' fam
pimp.gif

damn the place where I was raised up. The "job market" there has always been slack though...lots of commuting going on around there.

Back
Top Bottom