11/23 Rockets v. Heat (ESPN - 5 PM pacific)

tired.gif
the rockets are starting to get on my nerves. and i reallyhate wade, he's like a damn woman, getting all those bs calls. can't even get close to dude. they need to take out that whole "it's a foul ifthe offensive player jumps into you thing" that *@%* is just straight ridicilous. couch needs to tell rafer to stop shooting! trade james, give em away,whatever just do it. t-mac needs to hit his freethrows. he also needs to drive more since his shot is not falling. yao needs to start dunking more. scola isgonna be a ball player! anyways i'm pissed and it really hurts me watching the rockets lately, i'm glad i didn't get league pass. i'd probablybe bald in 3 months ...sucks being a rox fan at the moment
tired.gif

Like he said, keep it real Heats fans, your boy doesn't get calls? I'm a Mavs fan who HATES flopping, and still hate it when Devin Harris does it.

^^^
The fact that you're a Mavs fan says a lot about how you feel about Wade and foul calls though. No offense, just making an observation.

Heat fans that can't at least admit that Wade gets calls that most others don't get have zero to no credibility.

Sure, admit that Kobe and LeBron and whoever else gets phantom calls as well. But you have to admit that your boy is that company of phantom call recipients'.

Because he is.

Why would Van Gundy say it... as an announcer? Because he still has beef from when he was a coach? Please.
No doubt Ska, no doubt. But here's the thing: I've never really understood why Wade gets called out for it so much on this board. Yes Kobehas more than his fair share of detractors as well, but he gets just as much love. I guess it's because this board is heavily populated by SoCal and NYCfolks, both of which have some understandable bad blood with the Heat, but I still don't really get it. That's why I mentioned in the Josh Smith blockthread (which was a FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE defensive play on his part) that if it were the same thread but with another particular 2-guard as the"victim" of the block, it wouldn't have lasted more than an hour before getting locked up.

Hell yes Wade gets cheap calls. But just as you ask Heat peeps to recognize this, it also needs to be recognized (and I'm by no means calling you outpersonally here) that he's not the only one that gets such treatment. And regardless of who it is getting these calls today, it all is a byproduct of theNBA's own monster it created with the God of NT, aka Bulls SG #23 (no, not Dirty). I know that many of the NT'ers around here today are relativelyyoung, but I also know that you and I are both old enough to have seen Mike in his prime and how it got to a point that you literally couldn't reach in onhim because the whistle would blow. Hell, remember Magic's little shot at him during the Dream Team photo shoot? "Can't get too close to Michael,'cause it's a foul."
laugh.gif
It sort of just became it's own unspoken codeof the league, that the perceived "superstars" get those "superstar" calls.

Does that make it right? Not really. But it's what the league has become, and it's a wart that came to be as a result of the league pushing it'ssuperstars so hard from a league marketing perspective starting in the late 90's. Does it make the game frustrating to watch sometimes? Yes, but I'llalso admit that I'm a Heat fan first and foremost, so I tend to not worry about it as much when it's Wade getting the calls, because it'sbenefiting my team. It just is what it is unfortunately, which is why I have to bite my tongue sometimes when I used to see Shaq bowl over defenders as aLaker (believe me, he was much better at it back then than he is now
laugh.gif
), or when I see Lebron get by with some ridiculous travels, or see Iverson palm thehell out of the ball.

i've been said that Wade gets his fair share of calls, i have no problem admitting that

but its only brought up that wade is getting calls when the heat win,

bring it up when they lose too, oh i forgot it doesnt matter then right ?

and i agree with eagleball, wade is not the only one who gets calls but he is the only one, according to NT, that does get calls

its very
laugh.gif
and predictable with this board

^ It's brought up when they win, lose, and don't even play.

D-Whistle is his nickname, and not just on our Sports Forum, but also on other basketball/sports forums. That's not just a nickname for when he wins,but... always.

eagle: two of the reasons Wade gets called on it more is because he's a recent champion (people love to knock the top dog), and because Kobe fans that hateShaq carry that over to Wade.

AND because he is one of the worst in the league with the phantom call treatment.

Those three things would be my answer as to why it seems like he gets called on it more than others might.

tired.gif

The first thing I saw when I flipped to the game, Rafer jacks up a three, *bricks*. A tap-out rebound to Rafer with a fresh shot clock, pulls up for 3,*brick*. I stoneface, then flip to Lakers.

After I get a stomach ulcer watching the Lakers lose, I flip back to the Rockets, only to see Shane Battier fly by Mr. Wade without touching him but get calledfor a foul.
indifferent.gif

Go cry myself to sleep.

"how was Penny in this game?"

Penny played well. Shot the ball nicely and played pretty good defense while he was in there.
He looks like a very smart role player, has a Grant Hill feeling to it.

Was a really wack game by the Rockets.

Shaq was a damn beast today though.

Well, it was just exciting to see Penny go up against the person that idolized him.

Houston's in trouble though. Offense looks horrible.

It's brought up when they win, lose, and don't even play.

D-Whistle is his nickname, and not just on our Sports Forum, but also on other basketball/sports forums. That's not just a nickname for when he wins, but... always.

eagle: two of the reasons Wade gets called on it more is because he's a recent champion (people love to knock the top dog), and because Kobe fans that hate Shaq carry that over to Wade.

AND because he is one of the worst in the league with the phantom call treatment.

Those three things would be my answer as to why it seems like he gets called on it more than others might.
Thank you SKA. Your whole post was on point as to the reasons Wade gets hated, including the phantom calls that he does get BUT i'm SOOOOglad that finally, someone that is a Laker fan admits that one of the reasons people hate Wade is because Kobe fans hated shaq and it just carried over in somesort of jealous rage.

I ALWAYS hated how these dudes on here fronted like the only reason they hate wade was because "of the phantom calls." However, we ALL knowthat's BS when the same dudes was hating him immediately after ESPN broke the news that Shaq was a Miami Heat.

don't forget that whistle likes to flop around a lot as well. always kissing the hardwood. it's rather annoying.

you look at this heat team, and you say to yourself, if this team stays healthy, they can do big things in the playoffs. however, they always find a way to getinjured right around march or so.

and it's only MAGNIFIED when the phantom calls are made down the stretch.
tired.gif

just like the mavs series.
tired.gif

it's a shame. when wade didn't get his calls in the first half, he looks ordinary as he threw up some of the wackiest layups i've seen a star does.

bam, he gets every call in the 2nd half.
tired.gif

I'm used to it, a factor that you have to deal with, there's no use complaining (not saying you are, but I know a lot of Mavericks fans did), itwont' change the ultimate outcome, just have to face the facts.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I'm used to it, a factor that you have to deal with, there's no use complaining (not saying you are, but I know a lot of Mavericks fans did), it wont' change the ultimate outcome, just have to face the facts.

again, missed calls are made throughout a game and that's fine. i have no problems with it. but PLEASE, the refs have to be on alert DOWN THE STRETCH.that happened in the finals and that shoudl have made the refs more alert than anything when wade is on the floor.
if u saw the first half of this game and wade didn't get calls when he drove and throughout up some of the wildest shots there were, he wasordinary. that's why we didn't look to double him one bit in the 2nd half.

I think there's a mindset in the refs minds when they see Wade drive, it's not just Wade, the most aggressive players in the L get calls too, Wade isjust more famous for his down the stretch foul calls, but most teams settle for jumpshots, and foul shots are much less likely to be called on jumpshots.

Now, let me say I didn't see the game, but I know how Wade works, all Mavericks fans should, and yeah I do think it's unjust, I just don't feelthere's anything we can do about it.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I think there's a mindset in the refs minds when they see Wade drive, it's not just Wade, the most aggressive players in the L get calls too, Wade is just more famous for his down the stretch foul calls, but most teams settle for jumpshots, and foul shots are much less likely to be called on jumpshots.

Now, let me say I didn't see the game, but I know how Wade works, all Mavericks fans should, and yeah I do think it's unjust, I just don't feel there's anything we can do about it.

wade was aggressive in the first half too, but he didn't get a lot of calls and ended up throwing ridiculous shots. he wasn't "bailed"out.

usually refs swallow the whistle down the stretch b/c they don't want to be the ones deciding a game, on a drive or a jumper. that's just the way itis (or the way it's used to).

but again, that phanton call turned a 3pt game to a 6pt game. houston scored on the next possession but then down by 4pts => a 2 possession game ratherthan 1.

^^^
Exactly. Wade definitely gets his share of questionable calls, but it's not like he's got the officials on his payroll as some of you like to believe.That was a very physical block Josh Smith had the other night, great play, and there was no call. And that was about as down the stretch as you can get.

but again, that phanton call turned a 3pt game to a 6pt game. houston scored on the next possession but then down by 4pts => a 2 possession game rather than 1.

Not true, both according to my recollection of events and the ESPN play-by play. Houston didn't score the next possession; in fact, they didn't scorefor the next minute-plus, despite having a bunch of great looks. ESPN and I may both be wrong, but here you go:
[table][tr][td]2:26[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-92[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade makes 14-foot jumper[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2:26[/td] [td]Shane Battier shooting foul (Dwyane Wade draws the foul)[/td] [td]87-92[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2:26[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade makes free throw 1 of 1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2:06[/td] [td]Tracy McGrady misses 17-foot jumper[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2:04[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]Jason Williams defensive rebound[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:51[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade misses 17-foot jumper[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:50[/td] [td]Rafer Alston defensive rebound[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:32[/td] [td]Luis Scola misses 17-foot jumper[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:31[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-93[/td] [td]Jason Williams defensive rebound[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:12[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]Udonis Haslem makes 15-foot jumper (Jason Williams assists)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:12[/td] [td]Houston full timeout[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:12[/td] [td]Mike James enters the game for Rafer Alston[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]Shane Battier misses 25-foot three point jumper[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]Udonis Haslem defensive rebound[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]Yao Ming personal foul (Udonis Haslem draws the foul)[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]Houston 20 Sec. timeout[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]Luther Head enters the game for Yao Ming[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-95[/td] [td]Anfernee Hardaway enters the game for Shaquille O'Neal[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]Udonis Haslem makes free throw 1 of 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:05[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]Udonis Haslem misses free throw 2 of 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1:04[/td] [td]Shane Battier defensive rebound[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:50[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade blocks Mike James's layup[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:49[/td] [td]Tracy McGrady offensive rebound[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:48[/td] [td]Tracy McGrady misses 25-foot three point jumper[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:47[/td] [td]Houston defensive rebound[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:46[/td] [td]Mike James personal foul (Dwyane Wade draws the foul)[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:46[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade misses free throw 1 of 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:46[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-96[/td] [td]Miami offensive rebound[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:46[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]87-97[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade makes free throw 2 of 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:34[/td] [td]Luis Scola makes layup[/td] [td]89-97[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:29[/td] [td]Tracy McGrady personal foul (Dwyane Wade draws the foul)[/td] [td]89-97[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:29[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]89-98[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade makes free throw 1 of 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:29[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]89-98[/td] [td]Dwyane Wade misses free throw 2 of 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:27[/td] [td]Shane Battier defensive rebound[/td] [td]89-98[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:22[/td] [td]Mike James makes driving layup[/td] [td]91-98[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:00[/td] [td]End of the 4th Quarter[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0:00[/td] [td]End Game[/td] [/tr][/table]
As you can see, after the 3-point play, T-Mac missed a jumper, Wade missed a jumper, Scola missed a jumper, and then Haslem hit a jumper to push the lead to 8.Even if you take away the free throw on the Battier play, there's never a time after Wade hits that shot that the game becomes anything less than twopossessions. In fact, after Haslem's jump shot, it was a three possession game the rest of the way until Mike James' meaningless layup with 22 secondsleft. So unfortunately, it looks like you're just making stuff up to support your disdain for Wade and the phantom call he got.

And to be honest, if I weren't a Wade/Heat fan, that type of play is the least of my worries. Those fouls happen in the league ALL the time. Theinterpretation of the rule has become that if you're undisciplined enough to leave your feet on a fake, you should get the foul even if the shooter jumpsinto you. Do I necessarily like that? No; I used to hate watching Reggie Miller flail his legs out on a pump fake to draw contact. But unfortunately it'sbecome part of the game and a lot of guys do it, and a lot of guys get the referee to anticipate the contact there and call a foul, even it the defender endsup managing to avoid any real contact like Battier did.

there will never be a fair look at the heat on nt due to all the haters..
good win for the heat

The fact that you're a Mavs fan says a lot about how you feel about Wade and foul calls though. No offense, just making an observation.
Except that anybody who knows me would remember I was talking about his propensity to pump fake and jump into you even before that playoff series.That has always been one of my basketball pet peeves.

I'll admit, there are other guys in the league who are as bad or worse about it. Chauncy Billups, for example, likes to get passed youthen literally jump sideways and backwards into you, as well as the classic pump fake and jump into you. Corey Maggette, EVERY time he goesaround a screen will purposely turn the corner too sharp and run into the big man that is hedging and do this little fairy move where his entire body flops andwaves like it doesn't have any bones in it, as well as the classic pump fake and jump into you, as well as the see a defender and just run and glide intohim and air flop with the hands. Kobe is king of the yelp, occassionally pump fake and jump into you (does it less though ever since KedrickBrown came down on his arm which actually led to a catastrophic series of events following), and the arm flail with leads the refs to somehow assume there wasa foul. And new to this group, Kevin Martin has mastered ALL OF THE ABOVE and is leading the NBA in fts with 12 a game.

End of the day, maybe I'm directing my anger the wrong way being mad at the players for what I consider a *@$+* way to score (especially for the allegedtop 450 players in the world and in most cases, the top 24 of those 450 [all stars]), and it would be better directed being mad at the refs and of course Sternfor trying to artificiallu inflate scoring and create a new next Jordan by making everything the defense does a foul.

End of the day, maybe I'm directing my anger the wrong way being mad at the players for what I consider a *@$+* way to score (especially for the alleged top 450 players in the world and in most cases, the top 24 of those 450 [all stars]), and it would be better directed being mad at the refs and of course Stern for trying to artificiallu inflate scoring and create a new next Jordan by making everything the defense does a foul.
I think I'm in total agreement with you here. Stern tried everything and anything to increase interest in the league after MJ left: zonedefenses, shorten the backcourt violation time from 10 to 8, tinkering with the 3-pt line length, and of course, cracking down on hand checking. He tried toincrease scoring, and he did, but it came at the price of more fouls and free throws than ever. The players have just adapted their superstar status even moreto parlay their abilities into cheap points.

Back
Top Bottom