'12 Bulls

[h1]Bulls possess assets, situation to trade for Howard[/h1]
It seems obvious to Sam Smith that the Bulls have by far the best combination of players to send to the Magic in a deal for Dwight Howard. Chicago would also provide the best destination for Howard to play if he seriously wants to challenge for a championship in a major market, which would be the only reason to leave where he is beloved, in Orlando.
Posted by Sam Smith | 12.05.2011 | 9:20 a.m. CT | [email protected] | @SamSmithHoops 
So, I guess, the big question for the Bulls with training camps opening Friday is whether they want Dwight Howard.

I’ve seen all the speculative deals, and we know the Orlando Magic is in a difficult position and may have to trade Howard. GM Otis Smith already has told the Orlando Sentinel such a trade is possible, though most league executives don’t expect the Magic to do anything until after the February All-Star game, which will be in Orlando this season.

But it seems obvious to me the Bulls have, by far, the best combination of players to trade to make the Magic as whole, as they can be while providing the best destination for Howard to play if he seriously wants to challenge for a championship in a major market, which would be the only reason to leave where he is beloved, in Orlando.

Brook Lopez and picks? C’mon. I still don’t get the joke. Avery Johnson gets hit on the head with more rebounds than Lopez gets.

The Knicks? They can’t even figure out how to get Chris Paul with as few assets for trade as they have. And, by the way, they are not getting Paul in a trade unless it is for Stoudemire.

The Lakers? That’s what we all hear. Andrew Bynum? Sure, you’re going to build around a guy perpetually injured and so erratic he’s opening the season suspended for his pathetic flagrant fouls to end the Lakers playoffs. Pau Gasol? He proved when he was in his athletic prime at 26 you couldn’t win a playoff game if he was your best player. Now going on 32 next summer you’re going to start building with him? I don’t think so. And if you are Howard why do you want to join Kobe Bryant at 33 and his best years behind him. Plus, why go to Los Angeles to be the fifth best center in franchise history?

Howard could come to the Bulls and be the best center in franchise history and not have to be the best player on the team, which is why Howard can’t win in Orlando. How about playing with a 23-year-old point guard who’d give you five lobs a game and, by the way, is the reigning league MVP? You want to win in a major market with a franchise with championship tradition? Then where else would you go?

In all the speculation thus far all you read is what is best for the team getting Howard. You don’t hear much of what is best for the Magic. But the Nuggets did pretty well for themselves holding out as they did with Carmelo Anthony. It’s not exactly complete desperation for the Magic. Where is Howard going if he opts out next summer? The Pacers? Kings? Hornets? None of the top, big market teams really have cap money. The Nets do if Deron Williams leaves. But then what? The Knicks have enough to give you half of what you’d get—maybe $50 million instead of $100 million-if you stayed or were traded. So the Magic can call Howard’s bluff. But he can then go and they get nothing.

They’ve said they want to resign Jason Richardson, who’d likely want to return as his other top prospects likely are just for the midlevel exception, like the Bulls.

So here it is: Joakim Noah, Luol Deng and Taj Gibson for Howard and Brandon Bass.

Noah is popular from the U. of Florida and probably would have been an All-Star center last season. Deng is a near All-Star and top defensive player. Gibson is one of the league’s top shot blockers despite being a backup. That would give the Magic a young, defensive oriented team with Richardson and Jameer Nelson. The Bulls then sweeten the deal with their No. 1 this season and the No. 1 they hold from Charlotte, which based on Charlotte’s roster likely would be an unprotected No. 1 in 2016.

I’m not going there, but maybe the Bulls even take Hedo Turkoglu off their hands for expiring contracts, like C.J. Watson and Ronnie Brewer. You assume with being able to use amnesty for Gilbert Arenas, the Magic might then drive Howard to Chicago.

And the Bulls still would be able to use their mid-level exception to add another player, presumably a small forward, maybe like Caron Butler or Josh Howard or Tayshaun Prince — assuming they can dream a little — to replace Deng. Maybe a Vince Carter for cheap. With Rose and Howard, how many players would want to sign up for what would have to be a run of championships?

If you are the Bulls you can have a starting lineup something like Rose, Brewer or Keith Bogans at shooting guard, Josh Howard, Caron Butler, Shane Battier, Tayshaun Prince or maybe you can get the State Department to grant Wilson Chandler asylum at small forward, Carlos Boozer and Bass at power forward and Dwight Howard with Omer Asik, Kyle Korver, rookie Jimmy Butler and perhaps some added pieces like Kurt Thomas off the bench depending on the Turkoglu element, which I’d probably stay away from. The deal would seem fair without that extra piece.

But then, if you are the Bulls, have you changed your team too much? Why start over after where you’ve finally gone to?

Look, this was a 62-win Bulls team last season despite Noah missing almost half the season and Boozer a month and a bit more. One of the Bulls great strengths is depth and their front line size. Why mess with that, which no one else in the East has. Maybe you just tweak the thing with a shooting guard. Perhaps a trade for O.J. Mayo or Courtney Lee. Maybe a free agent like Richardson, Caron Butler or Jamal Crawford, or maybe a veteran like Carter or Shane Battier. That Miami conference finals series was a lot closer than that 4-1 with the Bulls losing a game in overtime in Miami and a fluke big blown lead at home in Game 5.

But then again...

People like to ask which player you would select if you were starting a team today. I’ve tested the hypothesis around the league and the consensus seems to be Rose, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin. Kobe, Dirk and Wade are too old. Anthony, Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Stoudemire need help and are best as No. 2 guys. So what if you can have two of basically the top five players in the league in Rose and Howard, the best point guard and the best center and defender and both young? Is that the formula for a championship? Or the talent and depth you have with perhaps one addition?

Of course, this all depends on what Orlando wants to do. Of course, they prefer to keep Howard. They could hang onto Howard all season and let him go and do amnesty for Arenas and get under the salary cap. And they’ve always been a top destination for NBA free agents. But that’s a big risk that could find them uncompetitive for years with a gleaming new arena.

Dealing with the Bulls — and it would seem to me only the Bulls — would enable them to be a 50-win type contender right away even with losing Howard. Yes, these next few months could be very, very interesting.
[h2]Captain Kirk back in Chicago?[/h2]
-- But here’s my solution: Trade for Kirk Hinrich. And it would seem a better chance now because Hinrich recently had surgery and is likely out for at least a month. That should expedite Atlanta’s desire to make a deal. Hinrich would love to return to the Bulls. I run into Hinrich occasionally at the public golf course jewel of the Northwest suburbs, Arboretum. I don’t play with Hinrich, but I’ll usually slice four or five balls a day into his fairway. This is the final season on his contract and he’s kept his home in the Northwest suburbs, where he’s settled.

Hinrich would be an ideal complement for Rose in the backcourt because he can make threes. But he also can handle the ball to allow Rose to play off the ball, something the Bulls want to do. Hinrich, we know, is a tough defender and always has given Dwyane Wade problems. He’d answer the Bulls primary needs, and you’d think the Hawks would be very motivated to trade him now.

The Atlanta franchise appears in financial trouble with another sale falling through this summer. The Bulls have an ace in the hole with unguaranteed contracts for Jannero Pargo, Keith Bogans and John Lucas. They equal about $4 million, which they could ship to the Hawks and the Hawks would cut them, saving $4 million. Hinrich makes $8 million. Then the Bulls trade them someone like C.J. Watson to finish the deal, which should be appealing since the Hawks get a replacement point guard while and Hinrich can’t play, perhaps until February. Maybe the Bulls throw in a pick. The Bulls could more afford to have Hinrich returning later in the season for a stretch run and playoffs since they are deep already. Hinrich remains much motivated to sign with the Bulls after this season. And that kind of acquisition gives the Bulls more flexibility with Hinrich going into the final season of his contract.

I continue to see much talk about various small forward free agents for the Bulls. But I think you need a guard because I am not convinced it will be good for Deng to play in the backcourt. Plus, he’s hardly the deep threat from on top of the floor and not the guy to have running back to protect when Rose drives, which is the responsibility of the other guard. The edge with someone like Hinrich is he can play both guard positions. I like that versatility, and it was a major factor for Isiah Thomas to eventually become a champion when the Pistons were able to get Joe Dumars, who could free Thomas to play more in the post and along the baseline, which is what the Bulls would like to do with Rose and which would give Rose more rest to enable him to be stronger throughout the playoffs.

Rose is the captain. I assume Kirk wouldn’t mind being demoted to lieutenant to get back to Chicago.

I didn't know Morningstar...I'm excited to see who we end up with. One of the posts a pg or two back really has me thinking J Rich is the answer. 20 days left to tip off.

Rodney Stuckey IS NOT 6' 5" ...
indifferent.gif
@ who ever believes that bull !@#%.

Now I will go back to read this garbage Sam wrote trying to hype up the masses for no reason.

Just as I suspected... POPPYCOCK!

I'm trying to keep Noah & Deng in any deal for Dwight, I know its a fairy tale scenario... I'm just saying.

realtuffjuice Caron Butler
That went great.. Now headed to the west...
59 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Always a good sign, lets just hope he is healthy.

Cake, you not letting Noah go this time? and how tall is Stuckey (since you stonefacing N's in here)?

Well according to NBA.com he is 6' 5" but I swear he didn't look that tall watching him play.

He plays like he's 6' 3"%$!

I will be glad when all this "who's going here and who's going there" is done! I like all these players and totally agree with their right to play where they want after contract ends, but it is too much media coverage on this stuff. Maybe I'm too old fashioned and just miss the old days without all the twitter updates. That system alone has made this !#!# too much.

Okay so from the two responses, it seems like a no-go on Stuckey. Who is your top three for SG? I personally believe if we get the right guy in here, we won't need to trade key pieces to get Dwight.

Mine:

1) Nick Young, young athletic scorer that has the ability to play D the Thibs way..
2) Caron Butler, toughness and skill, just concerned with his long term health
3) Jason Richardson, can fill it up and has no major injury history

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Well according to NBA.com he is 6' 5" but I swear he didn't look that tall watching him play.

no way stuckey is 6'5.

reggie miller himself has said that no player is really the height they are billed as and they get measured with their shoes on

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

no way stuckey is 6'5.

reggie miller himself has said that no player is really the height they are billed as and they get measured with their shoes on
Everyone knows that. They do measure them in socks at the combine though. But the general rule is subtract one or two inches from a listed height (I refuse to believe Derrick Rose is taller than 6'2", if that, for example).

I'd be ok with trading Noah and Boozer for Dwight but not Deng. Dwight alone is worth more than our two big guys on health alone. *knock on wood*

Deng IMO is the second most valuable player behind Rose.

Originally Posted by amel223

I'd be ok with trading Noah and Boozer for Dwight but not Deng. Dwight alone is worth more than our two big guys on health alone. *knock on wood*

Deng IMO is the second most valuable player behind Rose.

Def not IMO. Noah is probably the only current center in the league that can defend a guard on a switch, do you know the value of that? Deng is easily replaceable by someone such as Caron who imo is more consistent on the offensive end and a better slasher. Not to mention cheaper.

I don't give a damn who we have to trade to get Dwight! let's get it done.

Noah - As much as I like him, he's injury prone and lacks offensive skills. Besides we get D12 and that solves our 5 spot with Omir coming in to relieve.

Deng - Injury prone. I dont want to believe that last year was a fluke but we have waited a long time for this dude to come into his own. Let's not forget that he's the reason the Kobe trade didn't happen our FO was in love with his potential.
I truly don't know if his trade value will ever be this high again. We will all be kicking ourselves if he gets hurt and regresses again.

Boozer - He is not who we thought he was (or at least from what we saw last year). Another injury prone athlete more so than Deng and Noah. We saw what happened against Hansborough. More importantly he doesn't play good defense, that's why Thibs sat his @ss so much in the fourth, he became a liability. His huge contract was due in part to Deron Williams feeding him all those spot-up jumpers of the elbow coming of screen and rolls. I'm not sure if he can adapt and crash boards while Rose takes it to the cup. Hell I'm not sure if they're styles mesh.

We've all been here before so let's not pretend we don't know what happens when we get fixated on "potential" and what "could be"
We had our entire team chemistry destroyed with all those Kobe rumors, and for what...........Pax never did a damn thing.

We can't half @ss this one. We can't say well you can have player A and B, but not C.
Hell you can have any combination of player A, B and C.

Gar can not let Pax #%$@ around, or vice versa, just get it done!!!!

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

Def not IMO. Noah is probably the only current center in the league that can defend a guard on a switch, do you know the value of that? Deng is easily replaceable by someone such as Caron who imo is more consistent on the offensive end and a better slasher. Not to mention cheaper.
I understand the value in Noah being able to pick up ballhandlers on a switch.  Dwight doesn't have that ability but he makes up for it with better health, physicality, shot blocking ability - plus Dwight has post moves now while Noah is pretty limited in that department. 

Caron has the edge in the offensive end but at his age - plus the fact that he came off of a really bad injury - can he handle the minutes Luol takes on?  Luol had more minutes played than anyone on the Bulls last season because he was their only legit SF.  Luol was averaging 40 minute games.  If Caron replaces him he has to take on Luol's workload, unless we can somehow acquire an extra SF. 

Plus I value Luol's size.  He is called on to guard a player like Lebron and Melo.  Sometimes he is called to play the 4 if the Bulls go small.  It's something a guy like Butler would have trouble doing. 

Originally Posted by amel223

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

I understand the value in Noah being able to pick up ballhandlers on a switch.  Dwight doesn't have that ability but he makes up for it with better health, physicality, shot blocking ability - plus Dwight has post moves now while Noah is pretty limited in that department. 

Caron has the edge in the offensive end but at his age - plus the fact that he came off of a really bad injury - can he handle the minutes Luol takes on?  Luol had more minutes played than anyone on the Bulls last season because he was their only legit SF.  Luol was averaging 40 minute games.  If Caron replaces him he has to take on Luol's workload, unless we can somehow acquire an extra SF. 

Plus I value Luol's size.  He is called on to guard a player like Lebron and Melo.  Sometimes he is called to play the 4 if the Bulls go small.  It's something a guy like Butler would have trouble doing. 

I agree somewhat, but Noah has shown signs of offense. What I am saying is we were so close last year and our main deficiency wasn't at the center position, it was the fact that other than Rose, we didn't have another playmaker. And to trade basically a whole team for Dwight, (no matter how great of a player he is) is a step backwards in team chemistry, if not a step backwards in efficiency. Our issue is the playoffs, not the regular season. I'd prefer spend the extra money on a better shooting guard that can create his own shots than to give it all to Dwight.

As far as Boozer, I hope Thibs put him in some pick n rolls and pick n pops next year, that is the only way he plays well and can thrive on offense, if they run the same sets as they did last year with him, he's gonna be just as bad.

Good point about Caron/Deng, Deng has always in some way shape or form held Lebron to pretty humanlike performances, he knows how to defend him well. I'd like to keep him as well.

Haven't heard much about Rose in the offseason, but I'm sure he has improve his decision making after the ECF when Lebron was guarding him, he will do better next playoffs.

Originally Posted by SLP Product

I don't give a damn who we have to trade to get Dwight! let's get it done.

Noah - As much as I like him, he's injury prone and lacks offensive skills. Besides we get D12 and that solves our 5 spot with Omir coming in to relieve.

Deng - Injury prone. I dont want to believe that last year was a fluke but we have waited a long time for this dude to come into his own. Let's not forget that he's the reason the Kobe trade didn't happen our FO was in love with his potential.
I truly don't know if his trade value will ever be this high again. We will all be kicking ourselves if he gets hurt and regresses again.

Boozer - He is not who we thought he was (or at least from what we saw last year). Another injury prone athlete more so than Deng and Noah. We saw what happened against Hansborough. More importantly he doesn't play good defense, that's why Thibs sat his @ss so much in the fourth, he became a liability. His huge contract was due in part to Deron Williams feeding him all those spot-up jumpers of the elbow coming of screen and rolls. I'm not sure if he can adapt and crash boards while Rose takes it to the cup. Hell I'm not sure if they're styles mesh.

We've all been here before so let's not pretend we don't know what happens when we get fixated on "potential" and what "could be"
We had our entire team chemistry destroyed with all those Kobe rumors, and for what...........Pax never did a damn thing.

We can't half @ss this one. We can't say well you can have player A and B, but not C.
Hell you can have any combination of player A, B and C.

Gar can not let Pax #%$@ around, or vice versa, just get it done!!!!
I'm glad someone has some sense, everything you said was the truth
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

Anyone who wouldn't trade the team minus Rose for dwight is insane...

Basically. Trade anybody but Rose, Thibodeau and the Luvabulls included.

We play Miami 4 times this year.

I would be willing to give up Booz and Noah for Howard, but i wouldnt do Deng and Noah. We still need someone to guard Bron and Melo

I'd be willing to trade Noah & Boozer with the belief that Taj can step in and take care of Carlos's departure but I'd definitely be leery of trading Luol specifically for the reason JMause just stated. Who's going to guard Bron & Melo? We have no answer for them, hell they're still liable to get 25-30 on Lu who's a top 3-4 defensive SF in the league what do you think they're going to do to someone else?

SN: y'all better stop getting y'all hopes up about the possibility of this happening, gonna +!!# around and end up like Knick fans last summer
30t6p3b.gif

I am pretty positive that if the Bulls trade Noah and Booz for Dwight and also sign Butler that would be a championship team.

Rose Butler Deng Taj Dwight

Asik, Brewer, Korver, Watson

That's a championship rotation

I would miss the hell out of Noah though.  I love the guy. 

Back
Top Bottom