15yrs ago an 11yr old from the southside of Chicago found his way national news headlines

Seymore CAKE wrote:
Originally Posted by lovemysole

Seymore CAKE wrote:
Originally Posted by AirCommanderMarsFiend

That poor little girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time...RIP.

I can see how Yummy was basically created and engineered to be what he was but, how are we supposed to stop this from happening?

Where do we start?

I mean we start by educating young kids as well as expecting young adults on the importance and difficulties of parenting because far too often they have a severely skewed outlook on all that goes into being a parent.

My question is how do we derail the train once it has embarked on this course for a collision with disaster and tragedy?
It's hard to stop this from happening since there is a already a pattern there; his grandmother had 10 children that she couldn't raise well and his own mother was a crack addict with more children than she could handle. I mean come on "chicken pox and not cigarette burns"?!! Really?
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

To stop and derail a train already on course you would need isolation and LOVE. Yes love, because when he was given even an ounce of it he would act like a "normal" kid. If you recall, one of the neighbors said that he was "sweet at jelly" when he was on his own and he had a great mind. He made a freaking working tandem! How many young kids could pull that off? For someone so young that could learn about cars, let alone operate one being so short could have been used for the better but there wasn't a place for him to go to channel his thoughts and ideas. WE NEED MENTORS!

Edit: Maybe I should log off and do more volunteering for the needy.

cut off the cancer.
Well put because if any kid were to stay in the same situation they would keep with the norm. On top of that they need to see that there is moreto this world than the world they live in.

Some kids do make it out okay but most don't. I know of 2 brothers who had a crack addicted mother and no father around that lived in a torn down house.The water leaked from the roof and the buckets that collected their water became their drinking water; the house was also infested with roaches and rats yetthey made it a point to change their own lives. They both became honor students, played football, basketball and were in band. They ended up getting a bunch ofscholarships that paid their way to MEDICAL SCHOOL. These cats make well over the 100K and they give back to their community in hopes that others can followtheir lead.

Once again, props to the OP.

I just posted the links to all this on my FB, so my FB friends can check it out.
although there are thousands of stories from every city just like this, i feel people should know one way or the other.

Avid reader here, so I went through the whole article..heart-breaking
tired.gif

I feel as thoughYummy was doomed from the start, sad but true. His mother was a negligent crackhead, no father figure, the world saw him as a monster. The onlyones who let him in were the thugs/gangsters..They never gave the poor boy a chance..Unfortunately, others have shared his same demise..Yummy is just one ofmany, there's hundreds of kids like him in every inner city across America. Kids who are forgotten and pushed aside because they're deemed"hopeless cause"..The only picture available for Yummy's funeral, how he was remembered, was a mugshot..
tired.gif

Great read, never heard of it until now. More people should hear his story..

Fighting the lost fight.
smh.gif

We have no foundation in our culture.....

F the mother?
The mother herself is a victim...

Great read, stories like this makes me appreciate all the good things in my upbringing more and motivate me to help the youngin's of today.

Originally Posted by GTEK

Fighting the lost fight.
smh.gif

We have no foundation in our culture.....

F the mother?
The mother herself is a victim...

exactly...

who paid for the funeral tho?

Originally Posted by behemothcoa

Cliff notes Por Favor
-Crackhead mom has a bunch of kids she is not suited to take care of, abuses them badly
-One of the kids "Lil Yummy" becomes corrupted by the abuse and the streets and acts out in a serious way; burning/stealing cars, beating other kidsup (although he is said to be a nice dude when offered love) and is too young to be put in juvie or a group home
-Joins a gang, amasses a looong rap sheet that includes murder, shoots kids playing football outside and kills one, gets killed by two dudes who are 14 and 16years old all before he even becomes 12 years old

Originally Posted by eight2one

there was an 11 yr old killer in MI named Nathaniel Abraham, now he stays in n out of jail
1st thing I thought of....Good looks on this %*%+ tho Cake, very eye-opening. You got a link to the documentary on this?

Originally Posted by Nash

Cliff notes Por Favor
-Crackhead mom has a bunch of kids she is not suited to take care of, abuses them badly
-One of the kids "Lil Yummy" becomes corrupted by the abuse and the streets and acts out in a serious way; burning/stealing cars, beating other kids up (although he is said to be a nice dude when offered love) and is too young to be put in juvie or a group home
-Joins a gang, amasses a looong rap sheet that includes murder, shoots kids playing football outside and kills one, gets killed by two dudes who are 14 and 16 years old all before he even becomes 12 years old

Fam you really just did that?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Baybully650

OP you got a link to the original article? I wanna put this up on my FB.

that is the original article... he just typed it out because it was just in the magazine seeing as though it came out in 1994. So everything from MinatureMurderer to "From The Goat" is TIME's article

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by Baybully650

OP you got a link to the original article? I wanna put this up on my FB.

that is the original article... he just typed it out because it was just in the magazine seeing as though it came out in 1994. So everything from Minature Murderer to "From The Goat" is TIME's article

thanks...just found it on time's website.

Cliff notes Por Favor
-One of the kids "Lil Yummy" becomes corrupted by the abuse and the streets and acts out in a serious way; burning/stealing cars, beating other kids up (although he is said to be a nice dude when offered love) and is too young to be put in juvie or a group home
-Joins a gang, amasses a looong rap sheet that includes murder, shoots kids playing football outside and kills one, gets killed by two dudes who are 14 and 16 years old all before he even becomes 12 years old

smh.gif

yes...what's the issue

Cliff notes Por Favor

smh.gif

yes...what's the issue

Honestly, Cliff Notes for a story like this does it no justice. If I didn't read the article before reading those cliff notes I would just brush it off.that story actually gave A LOT of insight to why things happen in inner city neighborhoods, and with troubled children everywhere. This article will make alotof the members of NT who only know the "hood" through rap music
eek.gif
and
smh.gif
and hopefully want to learn more and lend a helping hand.

Originally Posted by FrankDolla

Cliff notes Por Favor

smh.gif

yes...what's the issue

Honestly, Cliff Notes for a story like this does it no justice. If I didn't read the article before reading those cliff notes I would just brush it off. that story actually gave A LOT of insight to why things happen in inner city neighborhoods, and with troubled children everywhere. This article will make alot of the members of NT who only know the "hood" through rap music
eek.gif
and
smh.gif
and hopefully want to learn more and lend a helping hand.

I'd say it's better for them to read the Cliffnotes, do a little
eek.gif
and maybe even go back to the article to read it in detail since the Cliffnotes said such surprising things that they might want to read in detail than to seethat no one posted Cliffnotes, ignore the story/thread completely, and go to the next "Breathing Appreciation vol. Oxygen FTW" thread having nevergiven this article a second thought.

I don't know if any of you actually clicked the video but it actually showed footage from the funeral...
smh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

chokeonsmoke wrote:
do i smell a hater

- in all honesty....by definition, do you even know what a hater is?

- you dont smell a hater, but i see an idiot.......

-
roll.gif
these young cats kill me with these loose hater references that have nothing to do with being a hater........

dude just shut your damn mouth you dont even know who i was talking to

a bunch of college students who can't read an interesting 3 page article.. smh. that story was wild tho.. wild.

not to jack your thread...

but yummy and frank reynolds' struggles are the same.

smh.

the kids yummy terrorized had the exact same acess to education...

more often than we like to think, yummy's story isn't entirely unique....

YOOOO I remember this I was young as hell though.

My pops still got that Time magazine here in the crib. Re read the article like 2-3 years ago.... STILL a crazy story

Back
Top Bottom