16 year old girl lost at sea

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5272149
bby Sunderland, a 16-year-old attempting to circumnavigate the globe by herself in a sailboat, is feared lost at sea, according to ABCNews.com.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5272149#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5272225&story=5272149">http://sports.espn.go.com...272225&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
oly_a_sunderland_200.jpg

AP Photo/Richard HartogAbby Sunderland, pictured in January about to leave on her solo trip, is feared lost at sea.

Sunderland activated two emergency beacons between 7 and 9 a.m. ET Thursday, her mother, MaryAnne, told ABCNews.

An engineer on Sunderland's support team, Jeff Casher, said the beacons indicate that she is in trouble. He said that he last talked with Sunderland at about 9 a.m. ET, when she told him she had been knocked down twice because of strong winds. The wind ripped the radar off the boat, Casher said.

MaryAnne Sunderland told ABCNews that her daughter was in 20- to 25-foot waves off the coast of Madagascar. She is about 500 miles north of the Antarctic Islands.

Her last blog entry Wednesday night said she had encountered some rough weather. "The wind is beginning to pick up. It is back up to 20 knots and I am expecting that by midnight tonight I could have 35-50 knots with gusts to 60 so I am off to sleep before it really picks up," she wrote on her blog.

Sunderland, who is from Thousand Oaks, Calif., left from Marina del Rey on Jan. 24. Her 40-foot boat is called "Wild Eyes."

Sunderland was trying to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo, nonstop and unassisted. That hope ended when she had to stop in Cape Town, South Africa, for repairs.

But instead of returning home, she continued the voyage.

Australia's Jessica Watson, 16, became the youngest to achieve the feat May 15 when she sailed into Sydney Harbour after a 210-day journey.

Australia's Jesse Martin had been the previous record-holder, completing the journey in 1999 at the age of 18.

Sorry if late.

eyes.gif
at the situation. Moby +%%% probably digesting her at the moment.

A comedian touched on this whole "youngest person to ___" craze. Basically said it's not worth it. Eventually we'll have parents attempting to force/influence their children to climb mountains when they're still in grade school.

It's crazy to me.

Spoiler [+]
And how old is 16 really?

Why did she try to go around the world though? Fame?

Stupid girl she asked for it, there's better things a 16 year old could be doing.

Hope they find her though

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Lol she was asking for this stupid girl
smh.gif

hat doesn't consider her stupid. shes prolly a thrill seeker, an adrenaline junkie, or an adventurous person. I actually think shes pretty brave to do that so kudos to her for trying.

I knew this would happen ever since the last girl got her 15 mins. Walking around a city alone is dangerous enough for a kid. Hopefully they find this girl and she's safe and people stop with this madness

I really don't see how anyone can call this girl dumb. If any of us had 1/10 of the ambition she had people here would be doing great things.

Hate to say it, but she asked for it. To continue after going in for repairs was dumb. She obviously wasn't ready for such a feat....

How can you call her stupid? It isn't like she just hopped in a boat one day and took off all willy nilly.

If anything I am envious.

Most of us will never come close to accomplishing such feats.

I applaud people with no fear and an adventurous spirit, just imagine where we'd be without people willing
to take risks.

Back
Top Bottom