$1K+ VALUE ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
15k on shoes and your kitchen looks like that?
mean.gif

I don't know how some of you guys do it. I've dropped a couple hundred on a single pair of sneakers before, but I cringe at the thought of paying $1,000+ for a pair of sneakers, let alone for something that I know I wouldn't wear like that. *Shrugs*

lol ive got some things ive paid a few hundred for that have risen to 1000, but never dropped that type of bread on one pair of kicks....... yet. will spend whatever for those kanye louis vuitton jaspers

One other thing I can't stand - and again, this is just my opinion - is when people chase super expensive items but don't really hold on to them. If you're a collector, that means - to me - that you should have a collection in your possession.

So many people buy a really expensive piece, hold on to it and take a million pics. Then, they sell it and use the money to buy something else. Rinse, lather, repeat.

At the end, they have a collection of PICTURES. They've had a lot of great pieces pass through their hands, but essentially they are renters of sneakers... which really is as pathetic as it sounds.

That's why when people post pics of ridiculous collections, I like to see lots of pieces together in the same pics. I know guys like Sunshing, Phase2x, JayJones, Joerdan, NYGiants11, Carter, SoleSupreme, and many others I'm forgetting have deep collections of incredibly rare and valuable pieces. I can definitely respect that - but the dude who sells a Yeezy to buy a Galaxy, which he sells to buy a PE... that's lame to me.

All that said, this thread needs one man and one man only to save it -- the Immortal A. "Kobe Penis Logo" Powers!!

Last edited:
 I know guys like Sunshing, Phase2x, JayJones, Joerdan, NYGiants11, Carter, SoleSupreme, and many others I'm forgetting have deep collections of incredibly rare and valuable pieces. I can definitely respect that - but the dude who sells a Yeezy to buy a Galaxy, which he sells to buy a PE... that's lame to me
You do know that just about all those guys you mentioned all sell stuff also? I have seen a bunch of stuff posted by SoleSupreme and then listed on ebay. 

Some people have to sell stuff to afford new pairs.I wish I could of kept all the stuff I had but I don't get it like that. I'm piss poor so I gotta do what I can to come up. 

You do know that just about all those guys you mentioned all sell stuff also? I have seen a bunch of stuff posted by SoleSupreme and then listed on ebay. 

Some people have to sell stuff to afford new pairs.I wish I could of kept all the stuff I had but I don't get it like that. I'm piss poor so I gotta do what I can to come up. 

Of course. I've sold things too. We all have. I certainly did not mean that it's not acceptable, in my eyes, to sell things. It's just that when your "collection" is just a carousel, then it's not really a collection at all.

And, I'm not hating on the dude with the small collection and little disposable income. I'm calling out people who play musical chairs with $1,000 kicks and high post online like they are getting it, but are really just robbing Peter to pay Paul.. or rather robbing Michael to pay Lebron.

I've sold my share of kicks too. It's not an absolute issue, it's a matter of what patterns define your behavior. ...I just don't take that kind of person seriously as somebody who loves sneakers.

In fact, once you get into thousand dollar PEs (not samples, but PEs specifically), I personally think you've pretty much crossed the boundary where you aren't even buying sneakers primarily so much as you are collecting "sports memorabilia." But, that's another discussion altogether.

^^^ I can def agree with you as far as people buying shoes only to try and impress people on the internet then selling right away

Why does this look shopped, cut-out style? 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
value of the shoe is relative. i wouldn't even pay $50 for those 2 pairs. a thread that focuses on the cost of a shoe and not the shoe itself is a bad idea IMO.

:lol: This my NT brethren, is what we call... A hypebeast thread

I understand both perspectives.
And, Monte, I don't think anybody is telling you that you SHOULD feel embarrassed.
But, personally, I'm with "Mike." I don't really like talking about how much I pay for things. Outside the community, those conversations make me uneasy. When people ask me, How much do you think you've spent on sneakers? How much is your collection worth? Or, what is the most you've ever spent on a single pair?...My first reaction is, it's not about that. ..I don't ask my friends how much their vacation to Thailand set them back when they are showing me pics - it's about taking part in things that make you happy.
You got kids nowadays who don't even have organic love for shoes, but just want to have a "crazy collection" and be some sort of sneaker celebrity. And, that's what embarrasses me about being involved in this hobby - sharing it with those fools.Threads like this are the breeding grounds for those attitudes - no matter their original intention.
I love to see pics of rare PEs as much as the next guy, whether I hate or love the shoes themselves. But focusing on value alone lures people into this hobby for the wrong reasons.
Great post man, I couldn't agree more.  Instagram is a safe haven for the nonsense that goes on with the hobby you described in this post.

Wheres the rest of your collection?

I hope Monte's got joints. ...Though that other pic does look badly photoshopped - US Weekly Kardashian photoshop level of obvious.

But, generally, if you have a handful of $1,000+ kicks without a "normal" collection underpinning it, you are one of those European airbrush cats who can piece like crazy, but can't tag or rock a decent throw up. ...That's cool, but you don't actually write.

That's why I made my comment about sports memorabilia. "Aerosol art" isn't graffit, and a collection consisting entirely of rare, exclusive sneakers isn't being a "sneakerhead." (God, I hate that term though).

Last edited:
BIP- your def on point with everything you are saying brotha, these dudes have no clue and yea its cool seeing pe's and stuff

LISHMAN- i can promise you this NONE OF THOSE DUDES HAVE TO SELL TO BUY ANOTHER PAIR..LOL.those guys have been in the game tooo long, .like alot of og heads in here sell but i can assure you we all have our own PERSONAL COLLECTION tht stuff will never be sold..PERIOD, i rock kicks for the LOVE not to get some dudes attention in the streets because half the time im rockin something people dont know about.. its about LOVE, MEANING before HYPE, NOTORIETY...

^ Waddup, my man.

BTW, I just want to reiterate again that my comments are not an attempt to pile on Monte. I don't know enough about dude to judge; i'm just speaking generally.

Another thing that a lot of the new generation of sneakerheads would be surprised to learn is how little so many of these older PE collectors paid for a lot of their stuff.

Go back like 10 years and $1,000 for a PE or sample was almost unheard of. Just like '94 III were on clearance racks for $50 or less in '94 and now command $450+, lots of the PEs going for $1,500+ today were originally acquired for like $250 or $300.

...And, that's for dudes who buy their stuff outright. Another common way PEs and samples were acquired back in the day (and today, still to a degree) was by simple hook-up. Dude knew a Nike corporate employee with connects. Dude knew a Nike marketing rep and bought his sales samples when he was done with them (the reps had to buy their own samples, IIRC). Dude knew the ballboy for a team, or somebody of note within an organization. The market for these items wasn't always what it is today.

If young kids are "aspiring" to get into the PE game, they damn well better have plans on finding an entry point in the pipeline a lot earlier Ihan the tertiary ebay market. Trying to get a collection that way is like trying to amass a ki by buying a gram at a time from your local nickel and dime dealer.

Last edited:
If young kids are "aspiring" to get into the PE game, they damn well better have plans on finding an entry point in the pipeline a lot earlier Ihan the tertiary ebay market.

Even connects charge crazy prices now. For the most part the days of a real connect are long gone.

Lot's of good points made in this thread.

^ Waddup, my man.
BTW, I just want to reiterate again that my comments are not an attempt to pile on Monte. I don't know enough about dude to judge; i'm just speaking generally.
Another thing that a lot of the new generation of sneakerheads would be surprised to learn is how little so many of these older PE collectors paid for a lot of their stuff.
Go back like 10 years and $1,000 for a PE or sample was almost unheard of. Just like '94 III were on clearance racks for $50 or less in '94 and now command $450+, lots of the PEs going for $1,500+ today were originally acquired for like $250 or $300.
...And, that's for dudes who buy their stuff outright. Another common way PEs and samples were acquired back in the day (and today, still to a degree) was by simple hook-up. Dude knew a Nike corporate employee with connects. Dude knew a Nike marketing rep and bought his sales samples when he was done with them (the reps had to buy their own samples, IIRC). Dude knew the ballboy for a team, or somebody of note within an organization. The market for these items wasn't always what it is today.
If young kids are "aspiring" to get into the PE game, they damn well better have plans on finding an entry point in the pipeline a lot earlier Ihan the tertiary ebay market. Trying to get a collection that way is like trying to amass a ki by buying a gram at a time from your local nickel and dime dealer.

I would say a great example of this would be people who were getting lebron 7 pe's when they first came out for 250-500 and now there 1k+

I would say a great example of this would be people who were getting lebron 7 pe's when they first came out for 250-500 and now there 1k+

Perfect example. I was able to grab 2 lebron 7 pe at 300 each. Then all of a sudden the price just started to rise. The pairs I'm looking for are going 1200-1500 now in my size

Last edited:
If you think those collectors that were listed hang onto all those PE's they "collect" you are sadly mistaken. LOL.

Perfect example. I was able to grab 2 lebron 7 pe at 300 each. Then all of a sudden the price just started to rise. The pairs I'm looking for are going 1200-1500 now in my size

I actually had much older stuff in mind, but that is a good example.

Of course, there's also the reverse. Things like Lebron 3 PEs that hit some insane amount and then have since died down.

I'm not majorly into these areas of the sneaker game, so my knowledge of specific price arcs on specific models, etc. is spotty at best. But, the overall dynamics have changed wildly over the years, as you and I both recognize.

If you think those collectors that were listed hang onto all those PE's they "collect" you are sadly mistaken. LOL.

Nobody said "all." But, you know what we're talking about here. Sure, many great pieces have passed through the many different hands at different times. Hell, in the Team AF1 thread, my main hangout here, there are individual pairs that have been owned by 4 or 5 different members at some point in their "life."

And, of course, some people get to a point when they want to give up the hobby entirely and they liquidate their collections and items change hands that way too. But, as matter of defining behavior, people don't tend to serially play hot potato with items that they genuinely love and sacrificed to obtain. ...And, the real question is: if there was no internet where you could post pics of you with your shoe of the month, would people behave the same way?

Last edited:
I've bought and sold single pairs for up to $15k.....and I'm not ashamed.  Why should I be?  I'm a collector and if I want something, I know I have to pay market.

What shoes have u bought for 15k?

What shoes have u sold for 15k?

curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom