2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Winky is an idiot. This fool prices himself out of every half-decent fight that comes his way, and REFUSES to take small money or short money in a gimme fightto keep busy and keep his name out there. That and he's boring as hell. No one wants to see him because last time he fought he lost a boring fight againstB-Hop. Give the people a reason to watch you Wink! It def aint gonna be cause your style, so get a string of W's together to at least get peeps interested.Wink has cost himself SOO much money its crazy at this point.

Also, am i the only one noticing how ridiculously dead its been in this post this week, especially with a WCB card on Saturday? Man, its like the only thingon this week is a shobox card or something. Hopefully this lets Arum now that nobody wants to see Pavlik fight bums, put this man in at least somewhatcompetitive fights.

ATLANTA -- Maybe now we know why former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield wants to keep fighting at age 45.

The "Real Deal" appears real broke.

His $10 million estate in suburban Atlanta is under foreclosure, the mother of one of his children is suing for unpaid child support, and a Utah consultingcompany has gone to court claiming the boxer failed to pay back more than a half million dollars for landscaping.

A legal notice that ran Wednesday in a small local newspaper said Holyfield's estate will be auctioned off "at public outcry to the highest bidderfor cash" at the Fayette County courthouse on July 1. The 54,000-square-foot home -- located on Evander Holyfield Highway -- has 109 rooms, including 17bathrooms, three kitchens and a bowling alley.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Jenni Girtman

Evander Holyfield's 109-room, 54,000-square foot house in suburban Atlanta is under foreclosure.

Meanwhile, Holyfield's handlers allegedly told the mother of one of his children that he will no longer be able to make his $3,000-a-month supportpayment. Toi Irvin claims the boxer has already missed two payments, so she has gone to court seeking restitution.

"My concern is there may be a lot of other mothers not be getting paid, and I would like my client to be at front of the line," said RandyKessler, Irvin's attorney.

Kessler said Thursday evening he has yet to hear from Holyfield's attorney and hopes to go before a judge in 30 days. He will request the boxer bejailed if he doesn't pay up.

"This is such a small amount given the scope of what he has," Kessler said. "If Evander Holyfield can get away with it, anybody can. Thereare guys making $15,000 a year who go to jail for missing a $100 payment."

Holyfield, the only four-time heavyweight champion, has at least nine children.

Further compounding his financial woes, a federal lawsuit was filed about two weeks ago in Utah seeking repayment of $550,000 in loans allegedly made toHolyfield in late 2006 and early 2007 to pay for landscaping on his 235-acre estate.

The case, filed two weeks ago in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City, said Robert Hall met Holyfield through a mutual friend and agreed to the loan, withthe understanding it would be paid back, with interest, after the boxer's next bout.

Since the initial transfer of $50,000 was made to Holyfield, he has fought four times but failed to pay back any of the loans, the suit claims. It also sayshe did not respond to a Sept. 10 letter demanding repayment.

Holyfield didn't return a message left on his cell phone by The Associated Press. His attorney, Frederick Gardner, did not respond to an e-mail nor acall to his Atlanta office.

Holyfield's apparent financial problems are a familiar story in boxing.

Joe Louis kept fighting well past his prime trying to pay off a crushing tax debt. Sugar Ray Robinson admitted he was broke by the time his long careerended. Mike Tyson has squandered most of the vast fortune he accumulated during a career that included two memorable fights with Holyfield.

Holyfield has likely made hundreds of millions of dollars during his 24-year boxing career, including a reported $34 million for his second bout with Tysonin 1997, the infamous "Bite Fight" that ended with Tyson being disqualified for gnawing off a chunk of Holyfield's ear.

At the time, it was the richest fight in boxing history. Now, he's defaulted on a $10 million loan to Washington Mutual Bank, which will auction off hishome on the courthouse steps.

The child support case involves Holyfield 10-year-old son, whose mother was initially awarded $2,000 a month in support. A flight attendant, she lost herjob when airlines downsized in the wake of the Sept. 11, attacks, prompting her to return to court seeking an increase.

In 2003, a Fayette County jury increased the payment to $3,000 after hearing evidence that Holyfield's gross monthly income was $604,000, while Irvinwas bringing in less than $2,600 a month.

But Holyfield's earning power has been in steep decline since then. He went through a dismal six-fight stretch that produced only one win, prompting thestate of New York to strip him of his license after a dismal 2004 loss to Larry Donald.

Resisting calls to retire, Holyfield returned from a nearly two-year layoff to land yet another title shot last October. He lost a unanimous decision toSultan Ibragimov in Moscow for the WBO title, but still insisted that he would keep fighting until he's the undisputed champion -- a plan that appearsdownright ludicrous, even with the weak, muddled state of the heavyweight division.

Kessler said the boxer helped make a down payment on a Clayton County home for Irvin, set up a trust fund for his son and had been fairly consistent in hissupport payments until recently, when Holyfield's representatives told her she was being cut off.

"It wasn't like they told her, 'Hold on, hold your breath, we'll get it to you, we're just having some accounting difficulties,'" Kessler said. "It was like, 'He's not paying, and we don't know if or when he's going to pay you again.' "

Kessler said the foreclosure of Holyfield's estate could actually be good news for his client, noting the 2003 trial uncovered evidence that the boxerhad paid a $17,000 electric bill the previous December, largely because of an elaborate light display at the home.

"When people bring up foreclosure and bankruptcy, I'm not that concerned," Kessler said. "What that does is free up money for childsupport. If they foreclose on his house, that means he doesn't have to pay the mortgage. If he goes bankrupt, that frees up some other obligations.

"A $500,000 lawsuit, $10 million for his property, those are big deals. Child support of $6,000? The light bill is probably $6,000 at thatplace."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

I think the only thing that surprises me, is that you can get that kind of house for 10 mil. You'd be lucky to get a 6 bedroom house here in Frisco... Iknow housing in the south is cheap since I go to school there, but got damn.

109 rooms, 17 bathrooms, 3 kitchens, and a bowling alley?!?!?!?!?! He might actually be able to house all his kids in a house that big. Probably not full-timethough.

eek.gif

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Pound-for-pound king and welterweight world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced his retirement from boxing Friday.
"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today," Mayweather, 32, said in a statement. "I have decided to permanently retire from boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport." The retirement means that his scheduled Sept. 20 rematch with Oscar De La Hoya is off. "I have been informed of Floyd's decision and I wish him good luck," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I wish him good luck in his retirement. We will move on. Sometime next week I will announce a big fight for Oscar. There are different names out there and I will be working diligently to announce in the coming days Oscar's next fight." Bob Arum, here promoting Kelly Pavlik's middleweight defense against Gary Lockett on Saturday night, promoted Mayweather for most of his career until an acrimonious split. Still, Arum also wished him well in retirement. "I commend Floyd Mayweather for being so forthright," Arum said. "He's had a wonderful career He's decided to retire and to announce publicly his intention. I think we should all applaud him for his candor and his forthrightness. Boxing is a very dangerous sport and it involves serious risk of injury every time a person steps into the ring. Floyd has a accumulated a large nest egg through his fighting and promotional abilities the past couple of years and I, for one, see no reason why he should subject himself to additional risk when he appears to be set financially." Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) won a bronze medal in the 1996 Olympics and went on to win world championships at junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight.
I actually think he's serious this time, especially if he's walkin' away from 20+ million for the rematch.

Still there's some part of me that thinks he'll be back. But he's made enough money through Boxing and he's opened many doors for himselfoutside of the sport.

ALL HAIL MIGUEL ANGEL COTTO...THE NEW POUND 4 POUND KING!
glasses.gif
+
tongue.gif

EDIT: So where does Oscar go from here?

Floyd retiring again what else is new.
eyes.gif
If Floyd really retires he iswalking away from 25 Million dollars vs Oscar but i didn't want to see the rematch anyway so hopefully Oscar fights a real opponent maybe we get a MiguelCotto vs Oscar De La Hoya.

Anyone know if HBO will show the Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Juan Manuel Lopez tomorrow or will it just be Pavlik vs Lockett?

^
Both.

I was thinkin' Cotto but I doubt it. He'd have to go right into training after Margarito.

Maybe if the Oscar's "finale" in December still goes own, I could see it happening then.

Fights i would've wanted to see:

Mosley vs Mayweather (a prime Mosley would've won)
Cotto vs Mayweather (Floyd would've won)
Pacquiao vs Mayweather (Floyd would've showed how so Overrated Manny Pacquiao really is)

"The only real fighter you had on 'The Contender' show was the little guy, Stevie Forbes. That's the only real guy you had on your show. He damn near won the show. So, I am going to call that little boys club 'The Pretenders,' not 'The Contenders.' Now, I'm going to beat the dog s--- out of your main pretender on [Saturday]. I want you to know that." -- junior middleweight titleholder Vernon Forrest, addressing "Contender" promoter Jeff Wald during a conference call with reporters on his plans for first-season winner Sergio Mora when they meet Saturday night (Showtime, 9 ET/PT).

roll.gif
roll.gif

Man, there aint now way Floyd is gonna stay retired. I just going the Sugar Ray Leonard route. If you say your retired when you are really just taking a break,your next fight gets some extra hype because you are "coming back". I'm still convinced Floyd comes back and fights Cotto at some point.

Berto vs De La Pollo... Make it Happen Golden Fraud Promotions. So we can really see a Farewell Match

Eradicate this ++%+!@ Chicken of the ring bastard.
laugh.gif

Im Amped for Quintana/Willams, who else is?

I'm also hyped for Quintana-Williams. I'm dissappointed the fights are spread over 2 different cards. Williams-Quintana should have just been combinedwith Ponce De Leon-Lopez for a stacked BAD card. Instead we get 2 lopsided, and uninteresting main events, with the 2 best fights of the night thrown on theundercards.

I'm surprised HBO wasn't interested in Williams/Quintana II.

I haven't jumped off the wagon yet so i'll be rootin' for my man Paul...

Won't be able to see the Quintana vs Williams fight but i'll watch the Pavlik vs Lockett fight

MFreshM, If anyway possible, do like I used to Order Showtime on Saturday Morning, then Cancel Sunday, it will be proRated and will hardly cost a thing

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

MFreshM, If anyway possible, do like I used to Order Showtime on Saturday Morning, then Cancel Sunday, it will be proRated and will hardly cost a thing
yup doing it just like %!!$** do
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

"The only real fighter you had on 'The Contender' show was the little guy, Stevie Forbes. That's the only real guy you had on your show. He damn near won the show. So, I am going to call that little boys club 'The Pretenders,' not 'The Contenders.' Now, I'm going to beat the dog s--- out of your main pretender on [Saturday]. I want you to know that." -- junior middleweight titleholder Vernon Forrest, addressing "Contender" promoter Jeff Wald during a conference call with reporters on his plans for first-season winner Sergio Mora when they meet Saturday night (Showtime, 9 ET/PT).
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
never did like those dudes from Contender's 1st season

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yep i used to do that a lot but got tired of having to call customer service again and again.

Quintana vs Williams 1 was a huge upset all the hype on Williams was that he could be the next boxer to possibly dethrown Mayweather but Quintana had all theodds against him.

You guys think Quintana wins again?

I think Williams is draining himself too much trying to make this weight, Punisher aint got no power at less than 150.
Im callin Quintana in a TKO

Williams fighting at welterweight is not good i think if he moves up in weight he can get some punching power.

Mayweather's retirement is as much of a joke to me now as it was the first time. I think he's up to something. The public hasn't really shown anyinterest in the DLH and that may have dropped even more after the Forbes fight.

I'm hoping, and this may be wishful thinking, that he's waiting to see what happens with the Cotto-Margaritofight. From what I understand this fight is selling a lot of tickets so it's showing that Cotto can be a draw even in Vegas. Cotto's stock will riseeven more once he wins the fight and the pressure from the public for a Mayweather fight will continue to build. Mayweather wants this to happen and at somepoint he'll come out "retirement" to prove his critics wrong at an all time high demand from the public.

I dont know about yall but from looking at the weight in Williams has to be killing himself to make 147 he looks drained .

Back
Top Bottom