2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Again the scoring was messed up one judge had it 115-112 Pacquiao and the other had it 115-112 for Marquez if the other judge would of scored it 114-114 itwould've been a draw instead he scored it 114-113 for Pacquiao.

I had Marquez winning but i would not be upset if the judges gave it a draw.

ha I don't know why ya'll are so salty...this mexican vs phillipino ++#* is gettin a little outta hand
smh.gif

in all honesty, the fight could've gone either way and I wouldn't have argued with the result...yall sayin Marquez was robbed (again?) are trippin, thefight was way to close to call...But I'm glad to see Pacman won...
pimp.gif

ha I don't know why ya'll are so salty...this mexican vs phillipino ++#* is gettin a little outta hand
smh.gif

Not even

laugh.gif

90% of Manny NT's fan base were nowhere to be seen when The Golden Boy Cup took place last year.

These dudes know who they are, I know who these dudes are along with all the regular boxing vets.

pimp.gif

I can't believe the judge that had Marquez Manny by 4 rounds. That's insane.

The way Gabi was coming in, it was over really fast. 2nd round TKO

Mares looked good

I wouldn't mind seeing him against Jorge Arce down the road

^?

my thoughts:

I know many people aren't really convinced by Manny's win. Lots of fans just reminisce the days when he'd just walk over everyone but a W and W.Truly, that knockdown was the difference and if that didn't happen I'm giving it to Marquez. I didn't like his performance to be honest and Marquezdid a good job neutralizing that left hand.

I'd like to see Manny take the undisputed title before he moves up to be honest.

great fight.. possibly fight of the year, imo.

the fight could have gone either way and any boxing fan has to love how cerebral marquez is in the ring. marquez had that counter right locked and loaded.anytime manny missed with that straight left, that counter right was there.

i was surprised that both fighters didn't go down at least twice with the type of shots they were taking. it'll be interesting to see where bothfighters go from here. manny has a tough time with smarter opponents and i wonder how much longer he can live off wild aggression.

also, a question to boxing experts here:

Can a successful boxer (such as Manny) develop a style, which is the opposite of what he has right now at the prime of his career? Anyone who did that? As headvances to other weight classes I think he's gotta develop his counter punching skills to some extent. It'd be hard to see him fight without havingthat in other weight classes.

Originally Posted by aRog27

Great boxing. Thats what it's all about man.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Gothams Terror

spectacular, I was on the edge of my seat whole night through

nice showing by both fighters

Pacman FTW
pimp.gif

Seriously... fight could've gone either way. At the end, when Buffer was calling it... I was saying, "DO NOT SAY STILL, DO NOT SAY STILL!!"
Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

MANNY PACMIZZLE FTW!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

take that mexicanz...
mad.gif
devil.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
Originally Posted by Bastitch

I'll straight end NTers' careers tonight like I'm Lawrence Taylor and you dudes are Joe Theisman if you bring that type of **** into this thread.

nerd.gif
eyes.gif

Wasn't as if Manny dominated this fight in any way...
ohwell.gif
Like I said, Marquez didn't back down for ****. Dude's a warrior straight up. Could've EASILY gone JMM's way or a draw. Props to both sides for putting on a great fight.

Can a successful boxer (such as Manny) develop a style, which is the opposite of what he has right now at the prime of his career? Anyone who did that? As he advances to other weight classes I think he's gotta develop his counter punching skills to some extent. It'd be hard to see him fight without having that in other weight classes.
I'm no expert but I'll try to give my opinion. First, I think it depends on the boxer. Bernard Hopkins, for example, has been able tochange his style up some over the years to compensate for his age. He's become more of a patient counter-puncher and less of an aggressor, but Hopkinsis/was a more rounded boxer then Manny and had the tools in place. Manny has improved his skills in other areas to an extent, but for the most part he'sthe same fighter he was years ago and I don't see him excelling too much in other areas as him career moves on, possibly to an upper weight class.Therefore if he does move up I think he's going to have some problems.

Originally Posted by mike23theking

Wasn't as if Manny dominated this fight in any way...
ohwell.gif
Like I said, Marquez didn't back down for ****. Dude's a warrior straight up. Could've EASILY gone JMM's way or a draw. Props to both sides for putting on a great fight.

thats what kind of irked me about manny last night. when marquez brought it, manny kinda backed down, where as before you;d see the smile on his facetrading blows cause he knows hes about to get what he wants. what was the point of manny winning? isnt he about to go up in weight now and drop whatever hejust won?

thats what kind of irked me about manny last night. when marquez brought it, manny kinda backed down, where as before you;d see the smile on his face trading blows cause he knows hes about to get what he wants. what was the point of manny winning? isnt he about to go up in weight now and drop whatever he just won?
The point of winning? He knocked Marquez down 3 times in one round then proceeded to get beat to the punch for the next 11 rounds how do youthink that made him feel as a fighter to get a draw when he thought it was over in the 1st? It was exactly as the title read Unfinished Business and at leastthis time we got a winner. Doesn't matter if he's moving up and giving up the titles he just won, the fact is that he won them and can always layclaim to that.

I'm no expert but I'll try to give my opinion. First, I think it depends on the boxer. Bernard Hopkins, for example, has been able to change his style up some over the years to compensate for his age. He's become more of a patient counter-puncher and less of an aggressor, but Hopkins is/was a more rounded boxer then Manny and had the tools in place. Manny has improved his skills in other areas to an extent, but for the most part he's the same fighter he was years ago and I don't see him excelling too much in other areas as him career moves on, possibly to an upper weight class. Therefore if he does move up I think he's going to have some problems.

Good answer, Hopkins was a lot more polished but as he got older and realized he couldn't stand toe to toe as much as he used to (not that he did all thatmuch) he had to become and even better counter puncher. Manny did well to develop that right hand, but if he doesn't develop some kind of hook or uppercutto go with that straight left and underrated jab he's not going to do as well as he had in the past.

I had it 115-112 Marquez. Friends who watched with me had it 114-113 Marquez too... no one had Manny winning. We were quiet the entire fight except duringthe round 3 knock down, and the final decision. But after we cheered for Manny's win, we were still shaking our heads on the decision.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Sooooooo many new faces
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

oh, here's the CompuBox stats
Pacquiao connected 114 power punches out of 305 he thrown while Marquez landed 130 out of 310 power punches he thrown. Pacquiao connected 43 out of 314 jabs thrown while Marquez landed 42 out of 201 jabs thrown. All in all, Pacquao connected 25% of his punches thrown by connecting 157 out of 619 thrown while Marquez landed 34% of his punches by landing 172 out of 511 thrown.

Tough fight to score, about 3-4 rounds could have gone to either of them. Manny has a chin of a champion. Here are some pictures that were not uploaded.

94276020.jpg
r3713675830sy2.jpg

307706.gif

Back
Top Bottom