2009 football/soccer summer transfer rumors

Originally Posted by socluis90

Can someone who follows Argentine football tell me how many damn teams play in the Buenos Aires area.

Off the top of my head, Huracan, Racing, Boca, San Lorenzo, River and I'm sure I missed some.

Why the hell are there so many teams in one city?
This is common in so many countries around the world. Usually you have a bunch of clubs based out of the capital city due to the disproportionateamount of people that reside around that one city.

For example, take a look at the Premiership and the number of teams based out of London. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Fulham, West Ham, and a few others thatgot relegated.

Big cities = more clubs.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Can someone who follows Argentine football tell me how many damn teams play in the Buenos Aires area.

Off the top of my head, Huracan, Racing, Boca, San Lorenzo, River and I'm sure I missed some.

This is common in so many countries around the world. Usually you have a bunch of clubs based out of the capital city due to the disproportionate amount of people that reside around that one city.

For example, take a look at the Premiership and the number of teams based out of London. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Fulham, West Ham, and a few others that got relegated.

Big cities = more clubs.

Yeah but Argentina is such a huge country so it surprised me. England is small so I understand that.

Argentino Juniors, Tigre, Huracan, River Plate, Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo, Velez-Sarsfield, Club Atletico Banfield, Independiente, Lanus
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Buenos Aires is HUGE. 13 million+. Outside of Buenos Aires, there's only 3 other major cities in Argentina: Rosario, Cordova, Mendoza and La Plata.
A reason way there's so much beef in Argentine football is cus it's so territorial that goes back decades.
[h1]
[/h1]

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

This is common in so many countries around the world. Usually you have a bunch of clubs based out of the capital city due to the disproportionate amount of people that reside around that one city.

For example, take a look at the Premiership and the number of teams based out of London. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Fulham, West Ham, and a few others that got relegated.

Big cities = more clubs.

Yeah but Argentina is such a huge country so it surprised me. England is small so I understand that.
It's not about geographic space, it's about population size.

According to wikipedia, the Buenos Aires region is home to over 13 million people (about 1/3 of the population resides there).

BTW, as much as I hate this club, Chelsea have 2 of the sickest jerseys in the world right now. Adidas did a great job on these 2 shirts (althoughChelsea's home shirt is ugly)...

Chelsea away...
new-chelsea-away-jersey.jpg

Chelsea's third shirt is beyond fire...I might have to buy this when it goes on clearance in 1 yrs time
embarassed.gif

new-chelsea-third-jersey.jpg

Manchester City finally expect to complete the signing of Everton defender Joleon Lescott on Thursday in a deal worth £22m.
Full story: The Sun

Chelsea have not given hope of signing midfielder Andrea Pirlo, despite AC Milan saying the 30-year-old is not for sale.
Full story: Daily Star Pirlo pledges future to AC Milan

Portsmouth goalkeeper David James could be set for a move to Sunderland with Pompey close to signing Antti Niemi on a free transfer.

Portsmouth striker David Nugent could be set for a move away from the club after a bust-up with team-mate Marc Wilson, with Stoke in discussions over a £4mmove.
Full story: Various Portsmouth duo fined over bust-up

Tottenham have had a £12m bid for 19-year-old Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko rejected by the French club who claim he is worth double thatamount.
Full story: Various

Spurs' pursuit of Real Madrid striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar appears to be at an end with the 25-year-old set to sign for AC Milan.
Full story: The Independent

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has insisted that midfielder Cesc Fabregas will not be leaving the club after reported interest from AC Milan.(Various)
Fabregas eyes Arsenal fightback

Lucas Neill, who is available on a free transfer after leaving West Ham, is set to sign for Sunderland on Thursday.
Full story: DailyMail

Bayern Munich have played down reports linking 32-year-old Italy striker Luca Toni with a move to West Ham.

Nottingham Forest are planning a £2m bid for Bolton defender Danny ****tu, who has been told he can leave the Reebok Stadium.
Full story:Various

Hull have given a trial to former Wigan and Stoke striker Henri Camara.
Full story:Various

Sunderland are close to signing 21-year-old Egyptian winger Ahmed Al-Muhammadi from ENPPI.

West Brom and Nottingham Forest are battling it out to sign 19-year-old Leicester full-back Joe Mattock for about £2m. (Daily Express)

Ipswich manager Roy Keane is attempting to resurrect a deal to sign Sunderland striker Daryl Murphy for about £2m.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Hamilton are still hoping to sign Inverness's Dougie Imrie, Motherwell's Jamie Murphy and Kilmarnock's Craig Bryson despite having bidsrejected for the players. (Daily Express)

http:// OTHER GOSSIP

Former Aston Villa and Leeds manager David O'Leary has turned down the chance to become Newcastle manager after being offered a two-yearcontract by owner Mike Ashley.
Fullstory: Daily Mail

Local businessman Barry Moat is set to buy Newcastle United from Mike Ashley for £100m and his first task will be to appoint Alan Shearer as manager.
Full story: Various Kinnear makes Newcastle job claim

American tycoon Clark Hunt is interested in buying West Ham for £120m. Hunt owns two Major League Soccer teams in the United States and his latebillionaire father founded the league in 1993.

Former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has said the club is living in the "stone age" compared to rivals Manchester United. (Daily Telegraph)

Manchester City forward Robinho believes the club are destined for "greatness" and are as big as Real Madrid and Brazil. Full story: The Sun

Chelsea have offered captain John Terry a new contract worth £151,000-a-week, putting him on a par with team-mate Frank Lampard.
Full story: The Times

New Manchester United striker Michael Owen is set to miss out on an England recall for the friendly with the Netherlands later this month.
Full story: Daily Star

Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky, who has just returned from an 18-month lay-off, could miss the first six weeks of the season after straining a hamstringin training. (The Sun)

Former England manager Terry Venables has warned Newcastle that are not too big a club to be relegated to League One. (The Sun)
Full story: TheSun

Scotland manager George Burley says his side can still make the World Cup qualifiers even if they lose to Norway in Oslo this month. (Various)

Burnley's Steven Caldwell is dreaming of partnering brother Gary in Scotland's defence for the World Cup qualifier against Norway.(Various)

Veteran Rangers defender David Weir says it was Scotland manager George Burley's decision to leave him out of the squad to face Norway. (DailyExpress)

David Weir says he will never turn his back on Scotland despite being left out of the latest squad. (Various)

Hibernian forward Derek Riordan was left out of the club's mini-tour of England after being disciplined by the club after spending the night in policecells following a nightclub altercation. (Daily Express)

Hibernian manager John Hughes says Derek Riordan is still in his plans despite the forward being disciplined by the club. (TheScotsman)

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon thinks summer football would help Scottish clubs compete better in Europe. (Various)

The Scottish Premier League will be forced to ditch its reserve league because of a lack of interest. (Daily Express)

East Stirlingshire chairman Spencer Fearn has called on the Scottish Football League management committee as they have brought the game into disrepute bydemoting Livingston to Division Three for financial problems. (Daily Record)

http:// AND FINALLY

Arsenal forward Andrey Arshavin is being mocked by his Gunners team-mates who say his accent sounds like the meerkat featured on the Compare theMarket television advert. (The Sun)
Fullstory: The Sun

Everton's plans for a new stadium in Kirby are on hold because the site is currently occupied by voles. The rodents are protected by law and have to berehoused before work can begin on the 50,000 seat venue. (The Sun)
West Brom will back England's bid to stage the 2018 World Cup by displayingthe campaigns logo on the club's shirts for Saturday's Championship match against Newcastle. (Daily Star)

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

Took the wrong bus from fw to Seattle the slower one aka the 174 instead of the 194. That said I missed messi score a brace. got there for the second half and barca had pretty muc subbed in their b. Team. No messi Albee henry xavi etc. o well haha
no way... that really sucks...
frown.gif

The wrong bus caused you to be over 45 minutes late???

I know alot of people played Fantasy Football last year, but this years list looks short so let me know if you want to play so we can fill out the league.It's at http://fantasy.premierleague.com as usual. PM me for the password. If there other leagues let meknow, because I would love to join.

Originally Posted by rockforlight

Argentino Juniors, Tigre, Huracan, River Plate, Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo, Velez-Sarsfield, Club Atletico Banfield, Independiente, Lanus
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Buenos Aires is HUGE. 13 million+. Outside of Buenos Aires, there's only 3 other major cities in Argentina: Rosario, Cordova, Mendoza and La Plata.
A reason way there's so much beef in Argentine football is cus it's so territorial that goes back decades.
[h1]
[/h1]
Exactly, much of the football rivalries in Argentina are old neighborhood rivalries, for example Boca and River Plate used to both play in La Bocauntil River Plate moved to Nunez, Independiente's stadium is literally blocks away from Racing's, San Lorenzo and Huracan used to play a couple streetsdown from each other until San Lorenzo sold it's old stadium and moved to Bajo Flores, and even though some have moved to other parts of the city thehatred still stands and the violence seems to be increasing. It happens in other cities too, in Rosario the rivalry between Rosario Central and Newell'sOld Boys is insane, and so is the rivalry in La Plata between Estudiantes and Gimnasia.

Why does Ronaldo look so pissed off for? He must've been mad about the long flight. At least he didn't cry about it
laugh.gif

Man, I'm really rooting for Ronaldhino to do well this season. I just hope to see him in the world cup! This guy has potential to still cause lots ofdamage!

1323 BST: Paris St Germain winger Jerome Rothen, 31, is expected to arrive in Blackburn to discuss a move with Rovers manager SamAllardyce.
Full story: Football365

1255 BST: Bordeaux manager Laurent Blanc has accused Arsenal of not being serious in their attempts to sign striker Marouane Chamakh. The Gunners havereportedly bid £6m for the 25-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season, but the French club want about £10m.

"Do Arsenal really want Chamakh? It is exactly the question that I ask myself and I believe no," said Blanc. "Frankly, I believe if theyreally want him, he could join them within 48 hours."
Full story: Metro

1244 BST: Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has admitted that he is interested in signing Lyon defender John Mensah as he looks to bolster his defence."I was interested in Mensah when I was at Birmingham, but he went for a lot of money - £9m," said Bruce. "We'll see on him. Yes, there'san interest."
Full story: The Shields Gazette

Bruce has also said Sunderland have ended their interest in Chamakh.
Full story: The Shields Gazette

1218 BST: Atletico Madrid rejected an offer from city rivals Real Madrid for striker Uruguayan striker Diego Forlan earlier this summer. Real bid about £31mfor the 30-year-old Uruguay international before signing Karim Benzema from Lyon. (AFP)

1151 BST: Birmingham's hopes of signing Arsenal left-back Armand Traore on loan for the start of the season appear to have been dashed byGunners boss Arsene Wenger who will not make a decision until the end of the transfer window.
Full story: Teletext

0910 BST: Tottenham are looking to hijack West Ham's bid to sign Bayern Munich striker Luca Toni. Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has targeted the32-year-old after missing out on Klaas-Jan Huntelaar who has joined AC Milan from Real Madrid, while West Ham are unlikely to be able to meet Toni's£90,000-a-week wage demands.
Full story: Clubcall

http:// TRANSFER GOSSIP

Chelsea have turned down an £18m bid from Real Madrid for Brazilian defender Alex.

Manchester United are still monitoring Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery and Valencia's David Silva, despite insisting that their summer spending isover.

Liverpool's Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva has said he may leave the club and return to his homeland if he does not get more first-team actionnext season.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted he is interested in signing Fulham defender Brede Hangeland but said the club are yet to make an offer for the28-year-old Norwegian.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has expressed an interest in bringing Real Madrid's 25-year-old Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder to VillaPark.
Full story: The Guardian

Manchester City will make one final offer for Everton defender Joleon Lescott, believed to be about £22m. (Daily Mirror)

Wigan have agreed a £3.5m deal for highly-rated Rayo Vallecano midfielder Mohamed Diame and his team-mate, defender Antonio Amaya.

The move for Diame could signal the end of Lee Cattermole's Wigan career, he is a target for Sunderland, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton.

Portsmouth have made a £2m bid for Vitoria Guimaraes midfielder Nuno Assis and the 31-year-old said he is keen on a move to Fratton Park if"the money and sport aspects can be united". (The Sun)

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate admits that he is "amazed" that Tuncay is still with the club but expects the 27-year-old to leave bySeptember.
Full story: Daily Star

Wigan striker Olivier Kapo, 28, is a target for French club Nice. (The Sun)

West Brom are keen on 25-year-old St Mirren midfielder Billy Mehmet. (Daily Star)

Celtic are lining up a move for Indian international striker Sunil Chhetri, who signed for Dempo Sports Club in May but is available for £1m. (DailyExpress)

Portsmouth are poised to make a move for Celtic left-back Lee Naylor. (The Sun)

Falkirk could hand a contract to former Brann Bergen striker Robbie Winters a contract after the veteran striker impressed as a trialist withLivingston. (The Sun)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has said he is more worried about Aston Villa this season than he is about Manchester City and said that MarkHughes' side will not break into the Premier League's top four.
Full story:Daily Mirror

Wenger also believes that 17-year-old midfielder Jack Wilshere can make the same impact as when Wayne Rooney first played for Everton.
Full story: The Guardian

Liverpool are expected to end their 17-year association with shirt sponsor Carlsberg when their current £8m-a-year deal finishes at the end of theseason. Banking giants Standard Chartered are expected to replace Carlsberg for about £15m-a-year.

Darren Bent has taken a swipe at former club Tottenham after the striker completed a move to Sunderland. The 25-year-old said he never felt wanted at WhiteHart Lane and criticised manager Harry Redknapp for not giving him enough support.

Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Michael Owen to score goals for Manchester United this season after the striker missed four good chances in a friendlyagainst Valencia on Wednesday.

Livingston will today appeal against their relegation to the Third Division, forcing the Scottish Football League to postpone three opening-day fixtures.(The Sun)

Burnley manager Owen Coyle will not release his three Scotland internationals from their pre-season fixture against St Johnstone ahead of theinternational side's World Cup qualifier against Norway. (Daily Record)

Celtic's Scott McDonald and Glenn Loovens, plus Rangers' Kyle Lafferty, will learn today if they will be suspended at the start of the season afterthe SFA disciplinary committee reviews video evidence of incidents last season. (Daily Record)

Hearts are bracing themselves for a record fine today for their poor disciplinary record last season. (The Scotsman)

Derek Riordan has rejoined the Hibernian squad after the forward was disciplined by the club for a nightclub incident. (The Sun)

Manchester City's former Celtic striker Craig Bellamy has blamed Rangers' Lee McCulloch for a foot injury he picked up in Wednesday'sfriendly defeat at Ibrox. (Various)

Hull captain Ian Ashbee believes his career could be over as the 32-year-old is struggling to recover from a knee injury. (Daily Mail)

Burnley striker Steve Thompson has been fined for drinking a fan's pint of beer on the club's pre-season tour of the United States. The30-year-old fell over the advertising hoardings and took a swig from the fan's drink as a joke. (The Sun)

Chelsea's players are reported to have spent about £120,000 on champagne during a night out to celebrate Saloman Kalou's 25th birthday.(Various)

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has expressed an interest in bringing Real Madrid's 25-year-old Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder to Villa Park.
pimp.gif
Sneijder's one of my fav players and with all the newsignings hes seemingly been left out to dry (Van Der Vaart too)...dude is a beast in midfield though and it would be great to see him in the premier league,his game is suited for it

He won't go to Aston Villa much like Huntelaar rejected Stuttgart.

van der Vaart has to go but Sneijder may have a place. Pellegrini expressed desire to keep him some weeks ago. I'm not sure whether that idea has beenaffected by the signing of Xabi Alonso.

Arsenal have to go through Celtic to qualify for the UCL. Celtic are going to be tough, I hope Wenger's boys are up for the challenge. I wonder if thiswill have an affect on Arsenal's transfers if they do not advance. The 2nd leg goes on August 26 and the window closes on the last day of this month.

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]BEST-PLACED PATH[/td] [td][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Lyon[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Anderlecht[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Celtic[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Arsenal[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Politehnica Timisoara[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]VfB Stuttgart[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Sporting Lisbon[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Fiorentina[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Panathinaikos[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Atletico Madrid[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]CHAMPIONS PATH[/td] [td][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]FC Sheriff[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Olympiakos[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]FC Salzburg[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Maccabi Haifa[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]FK Ventspils[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]FC Zürich[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]FC Copenhagen[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]APOEL[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Levski Sofia[/td] [td]v[/td] [td]Debreceni
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

Michel Platini FTL...he's trying to give smaller clubs a chance at making the UCL so he divided up this final stage of qualifying. None of those clubs havea shot at advancing to the final 16 of the actual competition
indifferent.gif

yea i have a hard time believing that sneijder would go to villa. no knock on villa, but sneijder is the type of player that would want to be in a"bigger" club.

i agree that sneijder can still find a place at madrid, but he'll be a backup while starting here and there. he's much more versatile than VDV so thatwill help him.

when pellegrini said that sneijder was going to stay, i felt that was due to what looked like a collapse in the xabi alonso transfer.

who knows. we still have several weeks left in the market, and i'd assume that madrid would have budge on their prices by then.

VDV said he'll have to leave. he turned down hamburg. he or sneijder would be good for inter, i think.

VDV and Sneijder need to leave ASAP.

This is a World Cup year so players need to start in as many games as possible. Stars can no longer expect to come off the bench for the entire club season andthen get a national team call-up for the biggest tournament in the world. National team managers want guys who have shown good form in recent months, they nolonger care about what players did 2-3 years ago.

VDV and Sneijder need to find clubs where they can shine and prove that they still belong on the national team. Neither one of them have guaranteed spots for2010, especially when you have so many good Dutch players who come through the ranks every season.

Just by taking a quick glance on football-lineups.com I see that VDV has started in most of Holland's WCQ matches and Sneijder has usually replaced VDVaround the 75th minute.

It'll be interesting to see where each one of them goes, it seems like most of the big clubs have their teams set for the upcoming season.

thing is, with all the attacking talent, it's tough for vdv and sneijder to both start.

are holland still playing 4-2-3-1 from euro 2008?

with van persie, robben, vdv, and sneijder, someone's gonna be left out. i think vdv played in a deeper role in some euro 2008 matches, and sneijder playedcloser up front to the lone striker.

wrong thread, but taking a half day from work next wednesday to watch usa vs. mexico.

woot!

Any Barcelona fans want to give me some info on Martin Caceres? Juventus signed him on loan this week with the option to buy him out for 11m at seasons end.

I realize with Alves there it would be hard for the kid to get some playing time, i hear he very versatile, he can play both full back and center back.

How is he as a player? he's still young and has been loaned out a couple of times...is he one of those guys with "unfulfilled potential" and kindof a disappointment? or just couldn't get any run at a loaded Barca side?

Hopefully he comes to Juve and can be a solid starter at RB, and a back up at CB.

1346 BST: Celtic have announced the signing of 18-year-old defender Josh Thompson from Stockport. (Press Association)

1201 BST: Portsmouth manager Paul Hart is hopeful of signing Australia striker Mark Viduka on a free transfer before the start of the Premier League season.(Press Association).

0952 BST: Andrea Pirlo believes his decision to snub Chelsea proves that AC Milan are a team with ambition. "If I thought Milan's aim was agood place in the standings I'd be at Chelsea now," he said. (Reuters)

0722 BST: Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia believes defender Kolo Toure left the Gunners because he was "bored" and fears the same could happenwith captain Cesc Fabregas. (Press Association).

0716 BST: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has already sealed a deal with Bayern Munich to buy Franck Ribery on a five-year contract startingin 2010.
Full story:Goal.com

http:// TRANSFER GOSSIP

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is closing in on Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin after being priced out of a move for Manchester City'sRichard Dunne.

Liverpool have had a £6m move for defender Michael Turner rejected, with Hull demanding £12m.

Everton and Tottenham are both tracking Inter Milan's Nigerian striker Victor Obinna, who should cost around £3m.
Full story: Daily Mail

Sunderland are set to make a second attempt to prise Lee Cattermole from Wigan Athletic.

Luca Toni's agent believes the Italian international is close to joining countryman Gianfranco Zola at West Ham.
Full story: Independent

Manager Roy Hodgson fears for Brede Hangeland's Fulham future after Arsenal admitted an interest in the Norwegian defender.
Full story: TheSun

Free-agent Mark Viduka is holding out for a two-year, £40,000 a week deal to solve Portsmouth's striker crisis, although Pompey have offered theAustralian forward, 33, a one-year, £30,000-a- week contract.

Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storie has confirmed that the Fratton Park side are monitoring Celtic full-back Lee Naylor, while reiterating theclub's desire to hold onto Sylvain Distin, Niko Kranjcar and David James.

Bordeaux manager Laurent Blanc has questioned Arsene Wenger's desire to sign Marouane Chamakh and says he could have the striker within "48hours" if he really wanted him.
Full story:Daily Mail

Everton are monitoring 25-year-old Toulouse right back Albin Ebondo, who is available for around £2m.
Full story: Daily Mail

Spanish division two club Rayo Vallecano claim talks are at an advanced stage to transfer midfielder Mohamed Diame and centre-back Antonio Amaya toWigan Athletic. .
Full story: Manchester EveningNewsl

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor has branded the club "a joke", adding the players "haven't got a clue what is goingon".

Arsene Wenger has stressed that the looming Champions League qualifier against Celtic will carry a crucial significance for Arsenal from a sporting ratherthan financial perspective.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

Michael Owen will miss the cut when Fabio Capello trims his pre-selection squad to a 23-man party for England's friendly match against Hollandon Wednesday.

Frank Lampard has described himself as a "Chelsea lifer" and insisted he could play until he is 38. The England midfielder has also revealed hewould love to manage the Blues one day.

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway admits he will have mixed feelings when he leads his new side into battle with former club QPR. "If you met yourex-missus in a pub, would you have feelings for her? Of course you would," he said. (The Sun)

anyone watching the community shield tomorrow? fsc correct? football off season has gone fast. i remember the day of the fa cup final i was all
grin.gif
now its all
glasses.gif
again.

Back
Top Bottom