2009 Oakland Athletics Season Thread:Rickey Henderson in Cooperstown...No. 24 Jersey Retired 8/1

Nomar really can't decide between Oakland and retirement? What does that say about the A's?

frown.gif

And is everyone on board with the thinking that there's absolutely no chance we resign Holliday? I mean, crazier things have happened, right? *thinks backto Boston winning in '04*
roll.gif

What do you guys think about adding Pedro? I doubt it'll happen, but I don't understand why we aren't even interested. How much is he looking for?

I'm all for adding Pedro, not quite sure what his pricetag is tho.

But I think at this point in his career his better suited pitching in the NL.

I PRAY the A's can stay in Oakland.
laugh.gif
I can't even explain my feelings if it was to happen...
laugh.gif

I didn't want Cabrera, but for 1 year, 4 mil, I'll take it. I was curious to see how Crosby would do with the help he received and it's hiscontract year, but he ran out of chances I guess. Weren't the Blue Jays interested in Cabrera? Well, they can have Crosby now.
laugh.gif
Aren't JP and Beanegood friends? Make something happen Beane! We still need to add Reyes and a starter (Mulder? Why not Pedro?!?!) tho. And I'll take Nomar.

[h1]Source: Garciaparra near deal to join Athletics[/h1]http://msn.foxsports.com/...r-deal-to-join-Athletics

Free agent infielder Nomar Garciaparra has made his decision: To continue playing baseball.

Opting against retirement, Garciaparra is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the A's, according to major-league sources.

The deal, expected to be between $1.5 and $2 million guaranteed, will be subject to Garciaparra passing a physical.

The A's on Monday reached agreement with free-agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera on a one-year, $4 million contract.

Garciaparra, 35, will serve as a right-handed alternative to Eric Chavez at third base, Daric Barton or Jason Giambi at first and Giambi or Jack Cust atdesignated hitter.The signing of Garciaparra along with Cabrera, which would leave incumbent shortstop Bobby Crosby as a $5.25million afterthought, would be the latest indication of how serious the A's are about competing for a postseason berth.
The A's began the off-season by trading for Rockies left fielder Matt Holliday. They made a strong run at free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal andcontinue to speak with free-agent left-hander Dennys Reyes about a bullpen job.

Garciaparra appeared in only 55 games for the Dodgers last season due to left-calf and left-knee injuries. He spent the latter part of the off-seasonworking out in Boston and weighing his options.

Retirement apparently was a possibility because of Garciaparra's long injury history and his desire to spend more time with his wife, former soccer starMia Hamm, and their twin daughters, Grace and Ava, who turn 1 on March 27.

Garciaparra, a .314 lifetime hitter, has earned more than $77.4 million in his 13-year career, according to baseball-reference.com.

Good stuff!! We have plenty of depth now to tackle any unforeseeable injuries.

I'm getting REAL nervous about Duke right now...if he goes down...it's a wrap unless we can add another pitcher...
ohwell.gif

I haven't really kept track of our Pitching staff since we had Zito/Mulder/Hudson, how are our starters?

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

I'm getting REAL nervous about Duke right now...if he goes down...it's a wrap unless we can add another pitcher...
ohwell.gif
Duke going down would seriously damage any hopes for the playoffs. I think that the team at this moment is just strong enough for the AL West,assuming a healthy Duchscherer. We need to add one more vet starter (Pedro?)

Reyes will NOT be going to the A's

http://msn.foxsports.com/...-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Dennys Reyes' agent, Casey Close, is informing clubs that his client is close to a decision. The pitcher will not be goingto the A's, the team to which he has been most closely linked, a source said.

Ohman has received offers from the Pirates, Marlins and Padres. Like Reyes, he also has drawn interest from the Cardinals and Phillies. His preference is toplay for a contender.
Joe Beimel, the third lefty on the market, could get a second look from the A's now that Reyes is headed elsewhere. TheA's contacted Beimel's agent earlier this offseason.

It's unfortunate, but our bullpen has become very solid throughout the offseason,especially with the addition of Russ Springer, who was probably my second favorite signing.

Yeah I saw that. I'm kinda disappointed because I really thought he would be a nice addition but whatever. Anyone know how much Beimel is asking for? Ifnot too much, I wouldn't mind adding him.

hey guys.

looking like a good offseason, as a dodger fan i hope for nothing but the best for nomar.

i'd imagine he's playing DH for you guys? he's a very clutch hitter, but even when he gets on the bases he seems to always get some sort of freakaccident.

Still has a pure swing, and can still play defense if he ever gets time at 1b

Originally Posted by bright nikes

hey guys.

looking like a good offseason, as a dodger fan i hope for nothing but the best for nomar.

i'd imagine he's playing DH for you guys? he's a very clutch hitter, but even when he gets on the bases he seems to always get some sort of freak accident.

Still has a pure swing, and can still play defense if he ever gets time at 1b

He'll probably spend time at DH, 1B, and 3B. Chavez is probably going to need a good amount of days off, so I can see him playing third quite a bit.

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

So what's gonna happen with Crosby?

Trade?

He asked for a trade so we'll see what happens. I want to keep him as a backup because we aren't going to get anything for trading him and we'llprobably have to eat most the salary too. But if he's going to cry about it, @%*+ it release him or just get rid of him. I understand he wants a shot tostart, but he doesn't deserve that chance. Is there any team in this league where he would even be starting? Maybe a few, but I can't think of any.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Normar as DH?

Giambi at first and Cust in right?
That's what it's looking like. Buck in center, Holliday in left.

It's a pretty strong offensive outfield, and I don't think Cust can do too much harm in right, especially if Buck is close by to aid him.

EDIT: Actually, word is Garciaparra would be used mostly for left-handed pitching, not a full time DH, and he would cover the left side of the infield wheneveranyone goes down and position changing needs to be done *glares at Chavez*.

Back
Top Bottom