2009 Oakland Athletics Season Thread:Rickey Henderson in Cooperstown...No. 24 Jersey Retired 8/1

Ellis' offseason deal looks smart
Sunday, March 29, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

Mark Ellis likes playing for the Oakland Athletics and appreciates the way they have dealt with him during his time with the organization. That's why he agreed to a two-year, $11 million deal so quickly in the fall before the free-agency period. The timing of the deal really didn't have much to do with the economic forecasts.

Ellis' deal was privately criticized in the fall by agents and executives who weren't involved in his negotiations. But he looks pretty smart now, given how the offseason played out. "It wasn't a stressful winter at all the way it was for a lot of guys," Ellis said. "A lot of buddies had a tough time."

As Ellis and his agent, Jamie Murphy, spent some time in the fall considering what the market might look like, they believed the free-agent market for second basemen would be set by Orlando Hudson, who was recovering from a significant wrist injury but had an excellent track record.

By winter's end, however, Hudson had settled for a one-year guarantee for about a third of what Ellis signed, with incentives that could push the value of Hudson's deal to about $8 million if he achieves all his performance bonuses. If you had told baseball folks in August that Hudson would wind up signing a deal worth less than Ellis' contract, they would have scoffed.

But that was before baseball was T-boned by the economy. "I feel bad for [Hudson]," Ellis said. "He is a really good player."
Ellis said others have complimented him for making his deal at just the right time, but he chuckled at that idea. "We're not going to say we're geniuses or anything like that," he said in a phone interview. "I wanted to be here, and they offered me a good deal."

Ellis has come through well in his rehabilitation from shoulder surgery, and after some concern early in spring training, he and third baseman Eric Chavez appear ready to open the season together in Oakland's greatly improved starting lineup.

Ellis has played behind a couple of the Athletics' young starting pitchers, Brett Anderson and Trevor Cahill, whose performance will largely determine whether Oakland will contend in the American League West. "I think they can handle it," Ellis said. "Brett is a little more polished -- he looks like a veteran on the mound -- and his stuff is above-average. Cahill's stuff is ridiculous, but he falls behind hitters more. They both look really good so far."

smh.gif
at Devine going down also. #*@ is going on? We need a new training staff or some %#@@. I'm excited about this year, but these injuries are killing me.Our offense is looking nice, but our pitching is
sick.gif
. The loss of Devine definitely hurts the bullpen, but I think we can hold up for a bit. That startingrotation? That's a different story.
sick.gif
smh.gif

We definitely need a new training stafff. We can't keep our guys healthy and on the field.

I'm very excited about baseball this year. We have significantly upgraded our offense and if our pitching clicks, watch out, we could be the big surpriseof the league for the whole season, instead of just the first half.

We're looking promising this year.

I will be at opening day with my A's hat, A's jacket and Griffey's on my feet.
smile.gif

Just in case no one ever seen these pics; here is what the stadium was supposed to look like when we moved to Fremont...

cisco750.jpg

cisco752.jpg

cisco753.jpg

cisco754.jpg

cisco756.jpg

frown.gif
*Sigh*...how great it would have been...

I think theyre in talks with santa clara again, so that would be okay with me. just as long as they dont leave the bay

Can't make it to fan day.

Guess we're gonna have to rely on our offense this year.

Pitching should be decent but not lights out. I really hope Devine is not out for the year
smh.gif

Anderson and Cahill are gonna take their lumps and learn on the fly.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Can't make it to fan day.

Guess we're gonna have to rely on our offense this year.

Pitching should be decent but not lights out. I really hope Devine is not out for the year
smh.gif

Anderson and Cahill are gonna take their lumps and learn on the fly.
Yeah, complete opposite of last year in every way. More vets will be starting than younger players, more offense than pitching. I am stil mad wetraded Carlos Gonzales. Hopefully Ziegler keeps his game up and we can manage a few wins until Duke is back
ohwell.gif

Athletics at Angels 4/6-4/9

[table][tr][td]Braden[/td] [td]08 ERA 4.14[/td] [td]08 REC 5-4[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2008 appearances:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/11 vs TEX[/td] [td]4.0 IP, 5 ER[/td] [td]L, 6-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/05 at BAL[/td] [td]5.0 IP, 1 ER[/td] [td]W, 11-2[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]Saunders[/td] [td]08 ERA 3.41[/td] [td]08 REC 17-7[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2008 appearances:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/28 vs TEX[/td] [td]6.0 IP, 0 ER[/td] [td]W, 7-0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/18 at OAK[/td] [td]7.0 IP, 0 ER[/td] [td]W, 6-4[/td] [/tr][/table]

Athletics at Angels

[table][tr][td]Cahill[/td] [td]08 ERA 0.00[/td] [td]08 REC 0-0[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2008 appearances:[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]Moseley[/td] [td]08 ERA 6.79[/td] [td]08 REC 2-4[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2008 appearances:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/25 at SEA[/td] [td]5.0 IP, 2 ER[/td] [td]ND, 6-4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/20 at TEX[/td] [td]5.0 IP, 3 ER[/td] [td]ND, 7-3[/td] [/tr][/table]

Complete Team Schedule | Angels Tickets

Athletics at Angels

[table][tr][td]Eveland[/td] [td]08 ERA 4.34[/td] [td]08 REC 9-9[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2008 appearances:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/24 at TEX[/td] [td]5.0 IP, 7 ER[/td] [td]L, 14-4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/19 vs SEA[/td] [td]7.0 IP, 0 ER[/td] [td]W, 2-0[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]Loux[/td] [td]08 ERA 2.81[/td] [td]08 REC 0-0[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2008 appearances:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/26 vs TEX[/td] [td]3.1 IP, 2 ER[/td] [td]ND, 12-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9/23 at SEA[/td] [td]1.0 IP, 0 ER[/td] [td]ND, 9-6[/td] [/tr][/table]

Complete Team Schedule | Angels Tickets
Although I can't make it to the Home Opener, I can't wait
pimp.gif

Should be dope with Griffey coming back in a Mariners uni
pimp.gif

2 days
pimp.gif

come on Dallas don't let us down...

from those matchups looks like Angels picthing is in question just like ours...

Lackey, Santana, and Escobar start the year on the DL. The A's are catching the Angels at the right time.

P.S. I really like the Cabrera signing for Oakland.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

I think theyre in talks with santa clara again, so that would be okay with me. just as long as they dont leave the bay
Co-sign. I'm a Giants fan first but I don't want to see the A's leave the bay. I've always liked Oakland, too.
nerd.gif
embarassed.gif

Opening night! Have my DVR set to record the game with the NCAA finals and Raw on Monday Night too! Gonna be a fun night! I'm acutally looking forward moreto tomorrow's game with Cahill getting the start.

I'm located at UC Davis, and ESPN is blacked out and we don't have CSN, any live streams fellas?
frown.gif

Originally Posted by rrroth

I'm located at UC Davis, and ESPN is blacked out and we don't have CSN, any live streams fellas?
frown.gif

You can try $+$#$$!!! but I couldn't find it there. I feel your pain tho man, I got to Cal Poly SLO and the only reason I'm getting today's game isbecause we get FSN West.
Edit * @+@ are we not allowed to type the link?
laugh.gif
justin . tv

Eh, what f-in channel is the game on? It's supposed to be on ESPN but they're showing ESPNEWS. It's not on ESPN2, KICU or Comcast Sports channel40. How is an opening day game not on TV??

I don't have Comcast but for DirectTV subscribers its ch. 698 (CSN CA)

edit:
it should be ch. 89 for Comcast, 721 for HD

Back
Top Bottom