2009 Oscars - Best Picture (competition is tight)

I think this is one of those years where there isn't one or two sure-fire films for best picture...there have been a ton of great/solid movies this year (*received Golden Globe Nomination already):
- Slumdog Millionaire (*)
- Revolutionary Road (*)
- Wall-E
- Doubt
- Gran Torino
- Man on Wire
- The Reader (*)
- Changeling
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (*)
- Mamma Mia
- Rachel Getting Married
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- The Dark Knight
- The Wrestler
- Milk
- Seven Pounds
- Frost/Nixon (*)
- Iron Man

The 5 nominees will be announced on Jan 22nd, and the Oscars will be on Feb 22nd. The Academy of Motion Picture Artsand Sciences mailed 5,810 official Oscar nominations ballots to voting members last week.

I'm leaning towards Slumdog Millionaire...although I think Wall-E is a serious underdog/darkhorse...what do you guys think?

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

saw it last nigh and ...WOW

I've only heard of like 4-5 of those movies....I guess i gotta hit up IMDB and see what's up.

Originally Posted by abok3

I think this is one of those years where there isn't one or two sure-fire films for best picture...there have been a ton of great/solid movies this year (* received Golden Globe Nomination already):
- Slumdog Millionaire (*)
- Revolutionary Road (*)
- Wall-E
- Doubt
- Gran Torino
- Man on Wire
- The Reader (*)
- Changeling
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (*)

- Mamma Mia
- Rachel Getting Married
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- The Dark Knight
- The Wrestler
- Milk
- Seven Pounds
- Frost/Nixon (*)
- Iron Man

The 5 nominees will be announced on Jan 22nd, and the Oscars will be on Feb 22nd. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences mailed 5,810 official Oscar nominations ballots to voting members last week.

I'm leaning towards Slumdog Millionaire...although I think Wall-E is a serious underdog/darkhorse...what do you guys think?
My 5 nominees and my winner. I hope Mickey Rourke wins best actor.

Maybe it was where my head was at going into the movie....but to me, Seven Pounds should win Best Picture.

although I think Wall-E is a serious underdog/darkhorse...what do you guys think?
Im thinking Wall-E must be the best film EVER if it has a legit shot at best picture
laugh.gif

FYI, they are only including The Dark Knight and Walle for a ratings boost, no real shot in the snotty, uptight oscar world
grin.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I'm gonna guess the nominees

Doubt
Ben Button
Slumdog
Milk
Revolutionary Road

outside chance for reader, wrestler, frost/nixon, and maaaaaybe torino or changeling could get looks b/c of eastwood.

Nothing else really has a shot in my opinion, but some other good movies on that list there.

No way Wall-E, TDK, IronMan and Mama Mia wins best picture, even though I love the first 3 movies I mentioned.

Slumdog Millionaire was a really good movie....Gran torino was also excellent....But on a serious note....i think you CANT over look The Dark Knight...althoughi am a batman fan (see avatar)....but movie junkies like myself can appreciate not the theatrics of Batman but his convictions as well....ALL movies that ihave stated was well written and directed

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Slumdog Millionaire was a really good movie....Gran torino was also excellent....But on a serious note....i think you CANT over look The Dark Knight...although i am a batman fan (see avatar)....but movie junkies like myself can appreciate not the theatrics of Batman but his convictions as well....ALL movies that i have stated was well written and directed
it's the oscars.. they are snobs, they won't give batman or wall-e any recognition... it's really not even about the quality of moviesanymore, it's all politics like everything else.. the academy is a bunch of pricks.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

People slept hard on Changeling.

I have Changeling and Seven Pounds on my macbook and I'm yet to watch them. They look really boring. I'm about to watch Benjamin Button once my foodarrives. I really liked Gran Torino tho....it was entertaining I don't know about best pictures.

Originally Posted by FreddyPee

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

saw it last nigh and ...WOW

is it really that good? i just got the phone with my homie who said the exact same thing. i may check it out tomorrow night.

Originally Posted by MvP07

Gran Torino

are you kidding me?
roll.gif

this movie was a complete joke.
What time was that movie se in, because nowadays kids would just leave Clint dead somewhere, or beat em senseless.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Slumdog Millionaire was a really good movie....Gran torino was also excellent....But on a serious note....i think you CANT over look The Dark Knight...although i am a batman fan (see avatar)....but movie junkies like myself can appreciate not the theatrics of Batman but his convictions as well....ALL movies that i have stated was well written and directed
it's the oscars.. they are snobs, they won't give batman or wall-e any recognition... it's really not even about the quality of movies anymore, it's all politics like everything else.. the academy is a bunch of pricks.
Indeed. I think TDK was brilliant hitting on so many different elements of filmaking. From the storytelling to the cinematography to thecharacters, it sorta re-awakened the film junkie in me.

I gotta go with Ben Button winning this IMO. Movie was def worth watching even with the length it still kept me pretty interested. Im still needing to watchMilk, Slumdog Millionaire, and The Wrestler. I also think 7 pounds will be nominated. TDK should be in there as well but it'll be lucky to get nominated Ibet.

They will prob give it to Frost/Nixon lol...they love historic crap like that (see Good Night, and Good Luck a few years back, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom