2010: Drake 2011: J. Cole 2012: Kendrick 2013: ??? Vol. Who got next

Does being popular next year even matter? If current artists are still putting out good projects why are y'all worried about what it'll be cool to listen to
next? LOL rap fans.

Joey Bad***** is too "underground,, backpack rap" for a major label release that could compete w/ Drake, J Cole or Kendrick numbers
I think the Weeknd's release or A$AP will be pretty big.

The bolded. A$AP's buzz is slowly dying though, and I don't think people anticipating a full-length album from Rocky like Cole, Drizzy or Kendrick. Maybe the Weeknd will be the next big thing people anticipate for.

Kendrick plays with a lot of harmonies and stuff. That attracts more fans because melodic generally = catchy. i.e. *****, Don't Kill My Vibe, the "no way" part in Money Trees, Blow My High, etc. Joey straight up just gets east coast *** beats and gets really technical on them the whole time. he's nowhere near as musical as Kendrick is what I'm really getting at. That makes a huge difference.

I understand totally what you are saying regarding Kendrick being more musical and I couldn't disagree with that at all. However, I think Joey has shown that he has the potential to make good coherent songs with good hooks. I can't say for sure it will appeal to the masses but I do think he can have a similar impact that Cole and Kendrick did in hip-hop.

I'm hoping for something major from Joey Bad next year. I don't care how much it sells, but it will be a classic.

Does being popular next year even matter? If current artists are still putting out good projects why are y'all worried about what it'll be cool to listen to
next? LOL rap fans.
it's just for conversation bro...it's a forum. that's what you do...converse.

You could have made the same argument for Kendrick prior to this year and would have been wrong. Artists like Cole and Kendrick have proven you can make good music and sell without catering to the Teeny Boppers.

Joeys sound is much more old school boom bap type of hip hop than Kendricks n Coles tho and we all know those type of rappers arent really that successful nowadays. I wish dude the best tho and :smh: at myself for forgetting Dom Kennedy, he def can blow up soon especially if he pushes that My Type of Party remix

next? LOL rap fans.
it's just for conversation bro...it's a forum. that's what you do...converse.

For real. The question was basically "who got next?", as in, who do we think is gonna be the next "it" or breakthrough person, and people are making predictions. What's the harm in that?

"LOL rap fans"...I always laugh at these type of comments, because it's usually code for "I listen to 25 different genres, therefore I think I'm an expert on all music." These types of fans are far worse than fans who box themselves into just one :lol:

I gotta go with VSVP Rocky. Simply because dude has too much mainstream appeal, one mixtape out and he's already grabbed Rhianna's bootay on national tv. But real talk, if it's Rocky vs. Joey Bad***** then I go with Rocky( not saying he's a better wordsmith than joey). Rocky postponed his album for a reason, prolly heard Good kid maad city and decided to reload haha. If Rocky can drop something with the diversity of Liveloveasap and have dope content, I like his chances.

The Weeknd isn't as popular as you guys would like to think.

Although I'm a big A$AP Rocky fan, it's going to be Chief Keef.

These shorties love dude like when SB came out. They're all Sosa or screaming Bang Bang, 3hunna :smh:

Joeys sound is much more old school boom bap type of hip hop than Kendricks n Coles tho and we all know those type of rappers arent really that successful nowadays. I wish dude the best tho and :smh: at myself for forgetting Dom Kennedy, he def can blow up soon especially if he pushes that My Type of Party remix

See I don't know about that.....I think Joey is bringing something good to the table with a fresh twist on the NY boom bap sound and definitely can be successful. At the end of the day it all depends what you define as successful....unlike the majority of NT's hip-hop fans I do not define success by album sales but instead by the quality of projects release.

Honestly, if you want to define blowing up in hip-hop by album sales then what new hip-hop artist has really done that in the past 3-4 years other than Drake?! Kendrick put out a great debut and widely critically acclaimed album but probably will never produce Drake-like numbers. Cole and a very good debut and put up decent numbers as well. I wouldn't say the latter two artists blew up at all. I don't understand at times the infatuation with the NT hip-hop crowd for every artist to "blow up."

I accept that some hip-hop artists that I like who put out quality music will most likely never "blow up" and I am fine with that.

For real. The question was basically "who got next?", as in, who do we think is gonna be the next "it" or breakthrough person, and people are making predictions. What's the harm in that?
"LOL rap fans"...I always laugh at these type of comments, because it's usually code for "I listen to 25 different genres, therefore I think I'm an expert on all music." These types of fans are far worse than fans who box themselves into just one :lol:
you sir...deserve a rep
REPPED

See I don't know about that.....I think Joey is bringing something good to the table with a fresh twist on the NY boom bap sound and definitely can be successful. At the end of the day it all depends what you define as successful....unlike the majority of NT's hip-hop fans I do not define success by album sales but instead by the quality of projects release.
Honestly, if you want to define blowing up in hip-hop by album sales then what new hip-hop artist has really done that in the past 3-4 years other than Drake?! Kendrick put out a great debut and widely critically acclaimed album but probably will never produce Drake-like numbers. Cole and a very good debut and put up decent numbers as well. I wouldn't say the latter two artists blew up at all. I don't understand at times the infatuation with the NT hip-hop crowd for every artist to "blow up."
I accept that some hip-hop artists that I like who put out quality music will most likely never "blow up" and I am fine with that.
....everybody wants to blow up...
so everybody wants their favorite artists to blow up.
*shrugs* pretty simple. :lol:

....everybody wants to blow up...
so everybody wants their favorite artists to blow up.
*shrugs* pretty simple. :lol:

I don't believe everyone thinks like that at all.

As I said I acknowledge that some of my favorite artists won't blow up because I am a realist and quite honestly I don't really care. I don't feel any more validation as a fan because the masses also like a particular artist I like based on sales. Whether they blow up or not what does it mean to me or if I am a fan of their music and they are putting out great music?! It means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things however the quality of music that the artist puts out will always mean something. I just don't get all the concern among hip-hop fans as to whether your favorite artist will blow up. Its as if hip-hop fans (especially on NT) don't realize that EVERYONE can't blow up.

I don't believe everyone thinks like that at all.
As I said I acknowledge that some of my favorite artists won't blow up because I am a realist and quite honestly I don't really care. I don't feel any more validation as a fan because the masses also like a particular artist I like based on sales. Whether they blow up or not what does it mean to me or if I am a fan of their music and they are putting out great music?! It means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things however the quality of music that the artist puts out will always mean something. I just don't get all the concern among hip-hop fans as to whether your favorite artist will blow up. Its as if hip-hop fans (especially on NT) don't realize that EVERYONE can't blow up.
idk man ...I'm blowed. i'll come back to this convo tomorrow. :lol:
View media item 118649

I think 2012 was Frank Ocean's year.. he had a ton of more buzz than Kendrick...

come at me breh
yawk yawk yawk

ASAP%2BRocky%2B-%2BPublic%2BService%2BAnnouncement%2B%2528Freestyle%2529.jpeg

:pimp:

Oh, the Weeknd is going to be all over EVERYTHING in the next year. Every hook and everything just the way that T-Pain, The Dream and Akon were before him. But if we're talking strictly rap music then there's really no other logical choice at the moment other than ASAP Rocky. I really like that dude Joey Bad*****...but I have a hard time believing somebody with that name will blow up commercially. He really does bring a fresh sound and look though. Sure does seem like Rocky's buzz has faded pretty hard since Kendrick officially blew up though.

As far as the south is concerned, I live in North Carolina, and people go into a damn trance every time a Chief Keef song comes on. So right now he's looking like a prime candidate, but I don't know how he's gonna make songs for the radio. I've heard a couple of his songs on the radio down here and half the song was bleeped out.

Once again where are ya'll getting the thought that Keef will do remotely anything positive in the real rap world. Most of his fans are 16 yr old hood cats who damn sure ain't copping the album.

He has absolutely zero charisma, has already reached his peak with don't like, NOTHING seperates him from any other trap rapper & his sound is heavily based on a sound that started two years ago and is going to begin to die.

I mean if your going to claim its someones year they have to have respectable sales and a critically acclaimed album (Based off the comparisons of drake, cole, Kendrick etc.... All three had national tours, hit singles, Rolled with legends in hiphop, Went atleast gold, & came out with good music)

Now based off that criteria what in the blur **** would have you believe that chief Keef is going to blow

Back
Top Bottom