2010 NBA Trade Deadline thread

We sure could use Humphries at backup PF right about now. Tim Thomas is out for personal reasons so who knows when or if he's coming back.

That bamma Drew Gooden always needs to keep a suitcase packed
laugh.gif
Sad to see Caron on his way out, because for a short time, he was one of the top 2-3 SF's in the NBA. He's having a down year, but I think a change of scenery would do wonders for him. It's a horrible environment in DC, and I wish him the best. Dallas is going to be getting a major upgrade over Josh Howard because this dude is going to come in MOTIVATED.

The only thing that bothers me about the trade is that the Wizards basically threw in Haywood JUST to get rid of Stevenson. I'm happy as hell that Stevenson is on his way out, but me being greedy, I would have liked to have seen the Wizards try to get a little more in return for Haywood. I think if they played it a little more patiently, they could have struck a deal with Portland and possibly landed one of their younger assets.

This leaves Jamison. He is the guy that the Wizards ABSOLUTELY have to move. He has a terrible contract (stupid, Ernie
smh.gif
), and is 33 years old. If they can somehow get him off the books that would be great. Butler had the easiest contract to unload, and that is why I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't more of a push to dump Jamison somewhere. He is in demand, and too bad Ernie was selfish to the point to where he wouldn't dump him to Cleveland....the last thing the Wizards need is to open the 2010-11 season with both Jamison and Gil in the starting lineup. I'm not too worried about Gil because he'll be either voided or traded. Whoever loses out on one of the big free agents this summer (assuming Gil isn't voided) will be inquiring about #0. Believe that.

I'm not sure how much STAT helps Cleveland defensively. We all know he's good for about 20/8, but he's about as good on the other end of the floor as Antawn Jamison. The deal looks good on paper, but I'd be curious to see how this works out late in a game when you absolutely need a stop. The thing that I don't get about the Cavs is why do they have to make a move? They are far and away the best team in the NBA and on a ridiculous win-streak. What's the point of shaking things up when it could backfire? Makes ZERO sense to me. As the cliche goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If I was a Cavs fan, I'd be a bit leery of any trade where a young player (Hickson) is given up to bring in a guy like Amare. If this trade is made and they don't win the chip', then what?

Interesting tidbit about what Washington may do after this trade because they are already at their roster limit...

The thinking is that the Wizards may use either Singleton or Ross, or perhaps both, to facilitate another trade.

Hmmmm....maybe Jamison IS going to the C's??

Link

What on earth are the Wizards thinking.

At least move their players to the western conference
laugh.gif

And i see no point in trading Haywood. Dallas getting away with highway robbery over here.

The Lakers commit highway robbery and get Pau Gasol...
The Celtics commit highway robbery and get Kevin Garnett...
The Mavs commit highway robbery and get... Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood. Womp womp.
laugh.gif

Caron is an All Star caliber player. I mean, who the hell are the Wizards getting back? Josh Howard? this dude cant even stay on the damn court.

I understand they're trying to save money, but how does trading Haywood help them when hes an expiring? As well as their only center.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Caron is an All Star caliber player. I mean, who the hell are the Wizards getting back? Josh Howard? this dude cant even stay on the damn court.

I understand they're trying to save money, but how does trading Haywood help them when hes an expiring? As well as their only center.
*shrugs*

The Wizards wouldn't be able to afford Haywood when he becomes a FA after this season.  They have to trade him to at least get something in return.  IMO, they are going about this all wrong.  Like I said before, he has initially become a throw-in on this deal JUST to dump Stevenson (who is still under contract for another year or two).  When Oden & Pryz went down, the Wizards offered Haywood for Batum and Fernandez which you can imagine was laughed off the table by the Blazers FO. 

I'm all for the Wizards shedding contracts and rebuilding, but I just wished they would get some young assets in return.  Haywood is an excellent interior defender, and this deal will really help the Mavs come playoff time. 

He was an All-Star caliber player. He's better than Josh Howard, but not by much anymore.

Same with Haywood and Erick Dampier. The depth is nice, though.

It's a solid deal, but not a difference-maker.

laugh.gif
I don't see why people think there's some massive gap between Caron and Josh... There's really not. At all.

Caron has been better this year but they've been virtually the same player for several years...

You Mavs fan stay hyping up Josh Howard. Dudes nice, but that was a few years ago. dude is hot garbage right now.

Mavs look good now though. Huge upgrades at two positions. A+ Job if this goes through.

Wizards,
laugh.gif
smh.gif

i like that idea going to Portland. They're overloaded at the wing, and Travis Outlaw, blake, and Rudy is definately better then what Dallas is giving for Haywood.

Or, they can take a project like Patty Mills. wont be bad either way.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
I don't see why people think there's some massive gap between Caron and Josh... There's really not. At all.

Caron has been better this year but they've been virtually the same player for several years...

let's take a look....

Caron Butler:

[table][tr][td]
Career Averages
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td] Career[/td][td][/td][td]FG[/td][td][/td][td]3PT[/td][td][/td][td]FT[/td][td][/td][td]Rebounds[/td][td][/td][td]Misc[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Year[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Min [/td] [td]M[/td][td]A[/td][td]Pct[/td][td] [/td][td]M[/td][td]A[/td][td]Pct[/td][td] [/td][td]M[/td][td]A[/td][td]Pct[/td][td] [/td][td]Off[/td][td]Def[/td][td]Tot[/td][td] [/td][td]Ast[/td][td]TO[/td][td]Stl[/td][td]Blk[/td][td]PF[/td][td]PPG[/td][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] 2002-03[/td][td]MIA[/td][td]78[/td][td]36:36 [/td][td]5.5[/td][td]13.2[/td][td]41.6[/td][td] [/td][td]0.4[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]31.8[/td][td] [/td][td]4.0[/td][td]4.8[/td][td]82.4[/td][td] [/td][td]1.7[/td][td]3.4[/td][td]5.1[/td][td] [/td][td]2.7[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]1.8[/td][td]0.4[/td][td]3.0[/td][td]15.4[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2003-04[/td][td]MIA[/td][td]68[/td][td]29:53 [/td][td]3.5[/td][td]9.3[/td][td]38.0[/td][td] [/td][td]0.2[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]23.8[/td][td] [/td][td]2.0[/td][td]2.6[/td][td]75.6[/td][td] [/td][td]1.4[/td][td]3.4[/td][td]4.8[/td][td] [/td][td]1.9[/td][td]1.3[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]0.2[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]9.2[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2004-05[/td][td]LAL[/td][td]77[/td][td]35:42 [/td][td]5.7[/td][td]12.9[/td][td]44.5[/td][td] [/td][td]0.5[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]30.4[/td][td] [/td][td]3.6[/td][td]4.1[/td][td]86.2[/td][td] [/td][td]1.9[/td][td]4.0[/td][td]5.8[/td][td] [/td][td]1.9[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]15.5[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2005-06[/td][td]WAS[/td][td]75[/td][td]36:06 [/td][td]6.6[/td][td]14.5[/td][td]45.5[/td][td] [/td][td]0.6[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]34.2[/td][td] [/td][td]3.9[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]87.1[/td][td] [/td][td]1.5[/td][td]4.7[/td][td]6.2[/td][td] [/td][td]2.5[/td][td]2.3[/td][td]1.7[/td][td]0.2[/td][td]3.2[/td][td]17.6[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2006-07[/td][td]WAS[/td][td]63[/td][td]39:17 [/td][td]7.2[/td][td]15.5[/td][td]46.3[/td][td] [/td][td]0.3[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]25.0[/td][td] [/td][td]4.5[/td][td]5.2[/td][td]86.3[/td][td] [/td][td]2.3[/td][td]5.1[/td][td]7.4[/td][td] [/td][td]3.7[/td][td]2.9[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]3.0[/td][td]19.1[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2007-08[/td][td]WAS[/td][td]58[/td][td]39:53 [/td][td]7.6[/td][td]16.3[/td][td]46.6[/td][td] [/td][td]1.1[/td][td]3.2[/td][td]35.7[/td][td] [/td][td]4.1[/td][td]4.5[/td][td]90.1[/td][td] [/td][td]1.6[/td][td]5.1[/td][td]6.7[/td][td] [/td][td]4.9[/td][td]2.6[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]20.3[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2008-09[/td][td]WAS[/td][td]67[/td][td]38:36 [/td][td]7.3[/td][td]16.2[/td][td]45.3[/td][td] [/td][td]1.0[/td][td]3.1[/td][td]31.0[/td][td] [/td][td]5.2[/td][td]6.0[/td][td]85.8[/td][td] [/td][td]1.8[/td][td]4.4[/td][td]6.2[/td][td] [/td][td]4.3[/td][td]3.1[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]20.8[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2009-10[/td][td]WAS[/td][td]47[/td][td]39:23 [/td][td]6.2[/td][td]14.8[/td][td]42.2[/td][td] [/td][td]0.5[/td][td]2.0[/td][td]26.3[/td][td] [/td][td]3.9[/td][td]4.5[/td][td]87.7[/td][td] [/td][td]1.5[/td][td]5.3[/td][td]6.7[/td][td] [/td][td]2.3[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]2.7[/td][td]16.9[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] Career[/td][td]533[/td][td]36:42 [/td][td]6.2[/td][td]14.0[/td][td]44.1[/td][td] [/td][td]0.6[/td][td]1.8[/td][td]31.1[/td][td] [/td][td]3.9[/td][td]4.5[/td][td]85.5[/td][td] [/td][td]1.7[/td][td]4.3[/td][td]6.1[/td][td] [/td][td]3.0[/td][td]2.3[/td][td]1.7[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]16.7[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Josh Howard:

[table][tr][td]
Career Averages
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td] Career[/td][td][/td][td]FG[/td][td][/td][td]3PT[/td][td][/td][td]FT[/td][td][/td][td]Rebounds[/td][td][/td][td]Misc[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Year[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Min [/td] [td]M[/td][td]A[/td][td]Pct[/td][td] [/td][td]M[/td][td]A[/td][td]Pct[/td][td] [/td][td]M[/td][td]A[/td][td]Pct[/td][td] [/td][td]Off[/td][td]Def[/td][td]Tot[/td][td] [/td][td]Ast[/td][td]TO[/td][td]Stl[/td][td]Blk[/td][td]PF[/td][td]PPG[/td][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] 2003-04[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]67[/td][td]23:41 [/td][td]3.4[/td][td]7.9[/td][td]43.1[/td][td] [/td][td]0.3[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]30.3[/td][td] [/td][td]1.5[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]70.3[/td][td] [/td][td]2.2[/td][td]3.3[/td][td]5.5[/td][td] [/td][td]1.5[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]1.0[/td][td]0.8[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]8.6[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2004-05[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]76[/td][td]32:12 [/td][td]5.0[/td][td]10.4[/td][td]47.5[/td][td] [/td][td]0.5[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]29.6[/td][td] [/td][td]2.2[/td][td]3.1[/td][td]73.3[/td][td] [/td][td]2.2[/td][td]4.1[/td][td]6.4[/td][td] [/td][td]1.4[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]12.6[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2005-06[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]59[/td][td]32:30 [/td][td]5.9[/td][td]12.6[/td][td]47.1[/td][td] [/td][td]0.5[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]42.9[/td][td] [/td][td]3.3[/td][td]4.5[/td][td]73.4[/td][td] [/td][td]2.1[/td][td]4.2[/td][td]6.3[/td][td] [/td][td]1.9[/td][td]1.3[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]0.4[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]15.6[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2006-07[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]70[/td][td]35:06 [/td][td]7.0[/td][td]15.4[/td][td]45.9[/td][td] [/td][td]1.3[/td][td]3.4[/td][td]38.5[/td][td] [/td][td]3.5[/td][td]4.2[/td][td]82.7[/td][td] [/td][td]1.9[/td][td]4.9[/td][td]6.8[/td][td] [/td][td]1.8[/td][td]1.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]0.8[/td][td]2.6[/td][td]18.9[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2007-08[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]76[/td][td]36:17 [/td][td]7.5[/td][td]16.4[/td][td]45.5[/td][td] [/td][td]0.9[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]31.9[/td][td] [/td][td]4.1[/td][td]5.1[/td][td]81.3[/td][td] [/td][td]1.6[/td][td]5.4[/td][td]7.0[/td][td] [/td][td]2.2[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]0.8[/td][td]0.4[/td][td]2.7[/td][td]19.9[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2008-09[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]52[/td][td]32:00 [/td][td]6.8[/td][td]15.1[/td][td]45.1[/td][td] [/td][td]1.1[/td][td]3.2[/td][td]34.5[/td][td] [/td][td]3.3[/td][td]4.2[/td][td]78.2[/td][td] [/td][td]1.1[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]5.1[/td][td] [/td][td]1.6[/td][td]1.7[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]2.6[/td][td]18.0[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] 2009-10[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]31[/td][td]26:41 [/td][td]4.4[/td][td]11.0[/td][td]40.1[/td][td] [/td][td]0.7[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]26.7[/td][td] [/td][td]3.0[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]79.0[/td][td] [/td][td]0.8[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]3.6[/td][td] [/td][td]1.4[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]0.7[/td][td]0.3[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]12.5[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] Career[/td][td]431[/td][td]31:41 [/td][td]5.8[/td][td]12.8[/td][td]45.4[/td][td] [/td][td]0.7[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]34.0[/td][td] [/td][td]3.0[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]77.6[/td][td] [/td][td]1.8[/td][td]4.2[/td][td]6.0[/td][td] [/td][td]1.7[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]2.7[/td][td]15.4[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

From 05-06 on, it's not all that different... Caron's overall Per-game production is a tad higher due to more minutes... *shrugs*

Howard is hot garbage now? He's been bad this year. I understand that. But he wasn't bad last year when he was healthy by any means...

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Whoever loses out on one of the big free agents this summer (assuming Gil isn't voided) will be inquiring about #0. Believe that.
Naaaah...maybe in 2012.

Who was? Josh? You're outta your damn mind.. When he was healthy, he was pretty damn solid... He shot as well as Caron from the field and was basically as productive in 6 fewer minutes a night...

Really, last year, what was the definitive difference between Josh and Caron that makes Caron a clearly better player?

And don't give me the health nonsense.. Caron has missed 15+ games three years running...

Drew Goodens bum *%%...
smh.gif
least we got rid of Deshawn.

this trade got the Wiz under the luxury tax but didnt really save us that much. despite how much he means to the Wizards, we're gonna have to move Jamison. he's 33 and not a franchise player, and his terrible contract is holding us back from rebuilding.

move Jamison (to anyone but the Cavs) + top 3 pick in the draft and we'll see how things go 2-3 years from now.

btw DJs, do you think we should keep Arenas or get rid of him? i dont mind either way, but i def think its worth considering keeping him around for our rebuilding process. obviously if we can we should void him, but if not it'll be interesting to see how the Wiz play it.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Whoever loses out on one of the big free agents this summer (assuming Gil isn't voided) will be inquiring about #0. Believe that. 
Meh, best I think they can do in the near future is swap Gil for another terrible contract (Elton Brand?).

DoubleJs07 wrote:

roll.gif

ya right, everyone in the NBA clowns the wiz for giving him that horrible contract and someone will trade for it? plzzzzzzzzzzz if the wiz cant void his contract they better buy him out or be stuck with him till the contract is up

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif

I prefer Caron over Josh, but I agree. It isn't leaps and bounds the difference between Josh + Caron.

Honestly, after the Magic retained Gortat after the Dallas made a play for him, getting Haywood back and his bird rights and/or the possibility of signing and trading him is the real key to this deal, IMO

I'm not sure it's even worth discussing Josh vs. Caron. Did the Wiz do this so that they could get the player or did they do it for the expiring contract(team option)?

Terry 9.8
Marion 7.3
Kidd 8.5
Carroll 4.3
Roddy B 1.6
Buckner 1.1
Caron 10.6
Stevenson 4.1

47.3 ... not enough room to sign a max. guy. They'd need to S&T.

btw DJs, do you think we should keep Arenas or get rid of him? i dont mind either way, but i def think its worth considering keeping him around for our rebuilding process. obviously if we can we should void him, but if not it'll be interesting to see how the Wiz play it.

As long as Ernie Grunfeld is at the helm, Gil will never play another game for the Wizards. That being said, all the rumors of Leonsis taking over could change the standpoint on both sides. If we can void him, then I'm all for it. When Gil is up for his sentencing in a few weeks a lot of this mess will become clearer. I just don't see how Gil's camp and the Wizards can reconcile. If Butler and Jamison are moved, is Gil the type of player you want to build your team around? He will in essence be 3-4 years removed from playing competitive (injuries and suspension) ball and will be turning 29 next season. I'm very skeptical about keeping him around under any circumstance.

ya right, everyone in the NBA clowns the wiz for giving him that horrible contract and someone will trade for it? plzzzzzzzzzzz if the wiz cant void his contract they better buy him out or be stuck with him till the contract is up

Many folks have said that Gil could possibly be a trade target this summer for a team that misses out on one of the big time FA's. It wasn't long after he was suspended indefinitely that the Gil/Magic rumors started. To say he won't be traded because of his contract is foolish. Stranger things have happened.

I don't know, it's not like we're getting Josh Howard for DeShawn Stevenson kind of difference, but I think the difference is significant enough. Josh just hasn't been motivated. He never really worked well with Kidd. He started to slash a little bit better, but still he never reached the potential we wanted. When was the last time you saw Josh throw down an athletic dunk?

Caron is tough, he'll be a much better defender than anything we've seen from Josh the past few years. He may not be a better shooter, but he can get down in the paint more efficiently, relying more on raw strength over athleticism.

And be real, Caron wouldn't have missed as much time recently if it weren't for the Wizards being craptacular.

The only reason I would have been upset if it was only Caron and DeShawn was taking on that contract, and knowing we could have gotten more. I would have been fine with the Caron-for-Josh, but Haywood is a very good sweetener.

I hope Caron can prove to be one of the pieces we've been looking for, and then Haywood too?

Count me in, I really like this deal.

And as someone else stated, I think Datz? whoever it was.... You mean you wouldn't want Najera over Hump?
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom