2010 NBA Trade Deadline thread

From Sam Amick- Kings beat reporter

Amare Stoudemire on whether he talked to LeBron James today about joining him in Cleveland: "No comment," with a grin.

Cavs targeting Suns’ Stoudemire

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

As the Phoenix Suns engage in trade discussions with several teams for Amar’e Stoudemire(notes) – including negotiations with the Cleveland Cavaliers – general manager Steve Kerr has been exchanging contract extension proposals with the All-Star’s agent, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Suns made a multiyear offer last week, and Stoudemire’s representative, Happy Walters, replied with a counterproposal over the weekend. It is unclear what the Suns offered, but Stoudemire is believed to be using the three-year, $57 million extension Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) received this season as a framework for talks. There’s no indication the Suns’ offer has given Stoudemire pause about wanting to stay long-term with the team.

Nothing in the offer indicates that Stoudemire and the Suns are anywhere near an agreement. Stoudemire can opt out of his current contract’s $17.7 million final season and become part of this summer’s free-agent class. As much as anything, this appears to be motivation for the Suns to find a trading partner.

The Cavaliers have emerged as serious bidders for Stoudemire, and here’s a good reason for their pursuit: When presented with several trade proposals, LeBron James(notes) preferred Stoudemire, a league source said. It isn’t clear how center Shaquille O’Neal(notes) feels about the possibility of a Stoudemire deal. The two didn’t mesh well in Phoenix, where Stoudemire struggled to find space alongside Shaq.

The Cavs would probably have to part with a package that includes center Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes), forward J.J. Hickson(notes) and a possible first-round draft pick. Cleveland is also engaged in discussions for several forwards, including Washington’s Antawn Jamison(notes) and Indiana’s Troy Murphy(notes).

Privately, Stoudemire’s preferred destination is the Miami Heat, where he could pair with superstar Dwyane Wade(notes) in a far more warmer climate. Heat president Pat Riley has been relentless in his desire to make a deal for Stoudemire. He’s made available everyone on his roster but Wade, and yet it appears Miami’s offers simply aren’t attractive to the Suns.

What doesn’t hurt Cleveland’s chances to land Stoudemire is the relationship between the two GMs: Kerr and Cleveland’s Danny Ferry. They were teammates with the San Antonio Spurs and remain close friends. Over the past two years, the Suns have been sellers and the Cavs buyers, and they’ve been able to do business together – including last summer’s Shaq trade.

hmmmmm....

Jerry West's relationship with LA...

McHale's relationship with Boston...

Kerr's relationship...

nerd.gif

http://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/9065521787

Oh I agree Caron is a better player, but it's not by a significant margin like everybody is making it out to be...

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Miami needs to just give up Beasley, Cook, Q and a pick. Way better offer than Z, Hickson and a pick.
Yes, that's way better than what Cleveland is giving. I'm not too high on Hickson's potential, but Cleveland has done a good job of making it seem like he is an extremely hot asset.

There is nothing special about JJ Hickson.. He's good, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why all these teams appear to love him...

Hickson is good for the Cavs but will be Brandon Bass with the Magic status anywhere else.

As far as Arenas being high on the market this summer...naaaaah. Too much $ too many years too much baggage too many health concerns etc. He's like the Magnum PI Ferrari with 100k miles going for $200k and the seller telling you he has full schedule of buyers wanting a test drive. Yea sure.

Bass' situation isn't his fault, dude should be getting a lot more minutes w/the way Anderson has been playing. Hickson isn't all that great I don't see why he would be a hold up in any trade that gets offered to Ferry for Amare or Jamison.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Bass' situation isn't his fault, dude should be getting a lot more minutes w/the way Anderson has been playing. Hickson isn't all that great I don't see why he would be a hold up in any trade that gets offered to Ferry for Amare or Jamison.
He left us,
laugh.gif

We gave him an offer from what I heard, he went to get "a better opportunity."

roll.gif

I know dude wishes he were still in Dallas seeing as we don't have a true back-up PF other than Marion.

Oh, I meant his minutes situation and SVG burying him on the bench
laugh.gif

Not his leaving Dallas for greater things :Lol

Originally Posted by Proshares

Oh, I meant his minutes situation and SVG burying him on the bench
laugh.gif

Not his leaving Dallas for greater things :Lol
Getting the JJ Redick treatment.

If you can't make a three or your name ain't Dwight Howard, your chances of getting heavy minutes under SVG?

Slim to none.

hickson has a good upside cause he's tall, long, athletic, defends the rim, and tries to hustle with the hustle part making him better than Bass, and hell Bass is a good player. Another thing to remember, he's learning the game from two future HOF's which is a great advantage that most young players with upside aren't afforded. So saying you don't see what GM's see in him is an ignorant statement. I'd like the Cavs to get STAT, cause it means a title, but Hickson is cheaper, and in another few years could be the same kind of player. CAVS wanna win NOW though, which I believe could be POSSIBLE with Hickson

We need to make this Amare trade. He's #1 on my list over the rumored Jamison and AI2. Offer 2 or 3 1st round picks, who gives a #*!+.

but Hickson is cheaper, and in another few years could be the same kind of player.
chester, add this to the project..please. even if it really doesn't fit.

He could NOT be as good as Amare... Not nearly as talented or physically gifted.

Bottomline, when a Wizards team, Pacers team and a Suns team are thinking about trading away their starting PF, makes sense they want Hickson back. They get a younger PF back to groom.

Because really, outside of Big Z's expiring, who else would you want back from that Cavs team?

I'm hoping Ainge takes the Maloof brothers and Petrie out on the town tonight and gets them drunk enough to part with Kevin Martin.

At least one person believes the Mavs’ impending Caron Butler/Brendan Haywood acquisition puts Dallas “on par’’ with Kobe Bryant’s Lakers.

That person? Kobe Bryant of the Lakers.

“No question,’’ Kobe said Saturday when asked by our girl Gina Miller whether the trade moves the Mavs to the Lakers’ level. “I hate to say it, but it's true. … Trust me, I don't like it by any stretch of the imagination. But it's a great move by (Dallas). It pains me to say it. But you guys made two great pickups.’’

We need to make this Amare trade. He's #1 on my list over therumored Jamison and AI2. Offer 2 or 3 1st round picks, who gives a#*!+.

This...I NEVER thought we would have a chance at landing him, but it is supposedly extremely realistic at this point.  Danny and Steve being boys FTW.
pimp.gif

but Hickson is cheaper, and in another few years could be the same kind of player.
roll.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
Shut up, Kobe.
Sandbagging SOB.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

u gotta be insane if you dont think those additions to the mavs wont put them on LAs level

upgrade at 2 positions? of course it does.

Any team that gives up 52 points to Andre Miller, I'm not taking seriously.
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Nah, but with this deal, this should make Dallas the 2nd best team in the west.  They still ain't on the Lakers' level though.

And you could make an argument that the Nuggets are still just as good as the Mavs...

We'll have to see how this plays out.

Back
Top Bottom