* 2010 NFC North Trash Talk Thread: Green Bay Packers win the Super Bowl *

A free agent success story

Charles Woodson was a not golden ticket free agent when I negotiated his deal with the Packers in 2006. Saddled with a surly reputation in Oakland, he was available a month into free agency with only tepid interest from the Bucs. Still, I felt like the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce trying to convince Charles and agent Carl Poston that Green Bay was right for him. We were coming off a 4-12 season, had no commitment from Brett Favre whether he was going to play, and his visit was in the middle of a snowstorm.

Wood-2.jpg
ICONWoodson is everything the Packers hoped for and more.

We finally worked out a deal that paid Charles $18 million over the first three years – with several million tied to 45-man active roster bonuses, protecting the Packers from his recent injury history – and much upside. When Charles was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in January, the Packers – with not-so-subtle nudges from Woodson and Poston – realized an upgrade was needed.

Woodson’s upgrade is vastly superior to previous upgraded veterans whose performance had surpassed their contracts – Donald Driver (twice), Mark Tauscher and Al Harris among them.

Woodson had three years left on his contract (sound familiar?) with $21 million remaining. The renegotiated amount is $29.6 million dollars although with continued performance as a Pro Bowl corner, Woodson should earn $33 million over that time, an APY (Average Per Year) of $11 million that puts him where he wanted to be in 2006 without the market to get it.

Woodson’s 2010 compensation is relatively unchanged at $7.5 million, although most of that compensation is being paid now as an advance. I am also told that the Packers are advancing future bonus amounts of $21 million over the next couple of years so Woodson has the money in his pocket prior to the amounts  being due.

The five-year contract has a maximum value of $55.1 million, but the key is the upgraded amount over the next three years.

Woodson, who turns 34 on October 7th, was not going to contest the outlier deal of Nnamdi Asomugha (who just turned 29) nor the new deal of Darrelle Revis (who just turned 25). The deal, however, validates his worth despite being 5 and 9 years older.

From the moment Woodson stepped on the practice field in his first minicamp with the team, it was easy to tell this was a truly special athlete. To this day, I have only seen one athlete as naturally fluid and strong as Woodson, and that was a classmate at Stanford named John Elway. Woodson just moved, covered and caught the ball effortlessly.

The deal we did in 2006 certainly did not reflect the player he would become. Although Woodson initially clashed with coach Mike McCarthy, their relationship eventually warmed and Charles even grew to enjoy the small-town atmosphere of Green Bay. The Packers received the benefit of that deal due to Woodson’s elite performance and have now torn up that deal to replace it with a deal more worthy for one of the best free agent signings since Reggie White.

well good thing i put money on the saints lol time for the rest of the league to play their 1st game! DET 1-0
wink.gif
 limit the dumb mistakes and we got this

supposedly the vikings are trying to make a "major move" right now. first thought is obviously vjax

supposedly the vikings are trying to make a "major move" right now. first thought is obviously vjax

well good thing i put money on the saints lol time for the rest of the league to play their 1st game! DET 1-0
wink.gif
 limit the dumb mistakes and we got this

Vikings D is somewhat nice, still.

That offense? uhh. average AT BEST.

NINE POINTS!?

9 POINTS?

Nueve Puntos?!?

Hell outta here.

Vikings D is somewhat nice, still.

That offense? uhh. average AT BEST.

NINE POINTS!?

9 POINTS?

Nueve Puntos?!?

Hell outta here.

am i the only one thinking the Lions can win 5-7 games this year.

and i really think they win on sunday vs the Bears..

am i the only one thinking the Lions can win 5-7 games this year.

and i really think they win on sunday vs the Bears..

dudes must be high really believing that lions O has a chance in hell of doing any type of work on the bears ill be in vegas so i wont be able to post much if any at all but ill be
nerd.gif
to see you dudes take yall words back by half when its 21-0 bears or worse

dudes must be high really believing that lions O has a chance in hell of doing any type of work on the bears ill be in vegas so i wont be able to post much if any at all but ill be
nerd.gif
to see you dudes take yall words back by half when its 21-0 bears or worse

Originally Posted by SFN 155

i was going to ask you guys this. with how poor the wr's and brett looked, if you were going to up the offer for VJ?

Originally Posted by SFN 155

i was going to ask you guys this. with how poor the wr's and brett looked, if you were going to up the offer for VJ?

Word its soooo close im bout to off myself at work... It needs to be tomorrow at 3pm right now.

Hoping I can get this new job as Catering Coordinator at my hotel and have weekends offfffffffffffffffffffff!!!

Word its soooo close im bout to off myself at work... It needs to be tomorrow at 3pm right now.

Hoping I can get this new job as Catering Coordinator at my hotel and have weekends offfffffffffffffffffffff!!!

excited already for the start of the season . Da Bears better be on point this season. i am worried about the O-line but we shall see. they should beat the lions tomorrow

excited already for the start of the season . Da Bears better be on point this season. i am worried about the O-line but we shall see. they should beat the lions tomorrow

Vjax won't help Minny's playcalling.

After the game on Thursday I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio and everyone is ready to hit the panic button.

It's only the first game of the year, and the problem with the Vikings passing had little to do with not having a deep threat. Predictable playcalling and no urgency was the number one culprits.

Berrian and Harvin are more than capable to give this team enough big plays down the field while Rice is out.

Jackson would be nice though.

Vjax won't help Minny's playcalling.

After the game on Thursday I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio and everyone is ready to hit the panic button.

It's only the first game of the year, and the problem with the Vikings passing had little to do with not having a deep threat. Predictable playcalling and no urgency was the number one culprits.

Berrian and Harvin are more than capable to give this team enough big plays down the field while Rice is out.

Jackson would be nice though.

Back
Top Bottom