2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

box_a_williams_576.jpg

the guy under pauls right arm... he's basically in the ring of every major fight
him and his sons basically run boxing.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

box_a_williams_576.jpg

the guy under pauls right arm... he's basically in the ring of every major fight
Any word on who Williams is gonna face next?

box_a_williams_576.jpg

The guy holding up the #1

box_a_williams_576.jpg

Nah, that dude works for Al, the dude in the black suit is Al Haymon.

868749fd0a345ac91d362e5cd4db7d3d_custom_665xauto.jpg

BTW... I'm pretty sure Shane would agree to give Floyd a piggy-back ride to ring to get that check, so the blood test is a no brainer.
laugh.gif

o word. damn for like 15 yrs I thought that was Al....

laugh.gif

They bout to get PAID! How much does PBF give up to Golden Boy in his workign agreement with them?

I have always wondered who that guy and the guy who looked exactly like that guy were. So they work for Al Haymon?

Al Haymon was like Keyser Söze to me. Always heard about him and his workings, just never seen the dude. And quite frankly, I always envisioned Al Haymon asa white, old jewish man.

theres an old thread on Boxingscene, says that is Haymon. and dude in the ring just works real close with Al...

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

I thought I head Mayweather was going to ask for Olympic-style testing for the rest of his fights?

thats right, and I also heard that he is pushing to have that rule permanent in boxing.

If he gets Nevada to sway their stance on the blood testing that by itself would be a huge accomplishment (for him).

i was debating with one of my extremely pro-pacquiao friends about the need for blood testing to find things that urine cant (hiv for example). i used tommymorrison as a reference as to just how dirty the boxing world is because he recently fought in mexico with a positive test result on his resume. looking at hiswikipedia entry, i got even more confused.
does anyone remember anything else about the testing issues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Morrison

Originally Posted by BennyBlanko

i was debating with one of my extremely pro-pacquiao friends about the need for blood testing to find things that urine cant (hiv for example). i used tommy morrison as a reference as to just how dirty the boxing world is because he recently fought in mexico with a positive test result on his resume. looking at his wikipedia entry, i got even more confused.
does anyone remember anything else about the testing issues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Morrison

so they told him he had the virus..........when in fact he didnt?

this lying POS roach was on ESPN news right now saying they threw out 14 days to the mayweather camp and they turned it down

really roach? you mean it was the other way around clown

I've been reading some quality articles these past weeks
naming the top 10 fighters of all time.

Here's the intro article: http://www.thesweetscienc...war-series-introduction/

and here's

#10: http://www.thesweetscienc...-god-war-charley-burley/
9.http://www.thesweetscienc...inth-god-war-willie-pep/
8.http://www.thesweetscienc...h-god-war-benny-leonard/
7.http://www.thesweetscienc...h-god-war-mickey-walker/
6.http://www.thesweetscienc...th-god-war-archie-moore/
5.http://www.thesweetscienc...h-god-war-roberto-duran/

He hasn't finished the list yet, but damn if these are not some of the best written pieces I've seen about boxing.

[h2]Report: MSG reserved, for Cotto?[/h2]

Comment Email Print ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Top Rank president Todd duBoef said he has Madison Square Garden on hold for June 12, the day before the annual Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York, a date that former welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has regularly headlined the card. The Associated Press is reporting Cotto could possibly challenge junior middleweight titleholder Yuri Foreman on that day.

Cotto plans to watch countryman Juan Manuel Lopez fight Steven Luevano for a featherweight title on Saturday night in the theater at MSG. That fight is part of a double-header that sees Yuriorkis Gamboa and Rogers Mtagwa fighting for another featherweight belt.

"Cotto is coming in for the fight, and we'll start discussing it," duBoef said Wednesday. "They're the ones who called us and said, 'We want to fight Yuri Foreman,' so we'll see what we can do."

A substantial segment of the city's roughly 800,000 residents with Puerto Rican roots come out in support on Puerto Rican Day.

The significance of the date wasn't lost on Foreman, either.

"Friends say, 'Yuri, you're fighting in New York, Madison Square Garden, everybody is going to be rooting for you!' I say, 'Um, well, it's the day before the Puerto Rican Day Parade,'" he said with a broad grin.

"It's the opportunity of a lifetime," said Foreman, a New York-based native of Belarus who also is studying to become a rabbi. "You have to understand, where I come from, the Soviet Union, then Israel, to fight in Madison Square Garden is huge."

Foreman won his title with a comprehensive victory over Daniel Santos on the undercard of Cotto's brutal fight against Manny Pacquiao in November.

Foreman was considered a possible opponent for Pacquiao before the pound-for-pound king decided the height difference was too much. Pacquiao instead decided to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.

"He's a great champion, pound-for-pound one of the best fighters out there," Foreman said of Cotto, who would be moving up to 154 pounds. "I'm very hopeful it gets made, but I don't know where I'm standing. Hopefully we're very close to closing the door."

Cotto has had perhaps the most difficult year of his professional life, splitting with his uncle and longtime trainer Evangelista Cotto before losing that bloody fight to Pacquiao.

Outside the ring, the Puerto Rican star lost his father, Miguel Sr., to an apparent heart attack earlier this month. He also had a breach of contract lawsuit filed against him by his uncle and a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against him by an administrator of a residential property he owns in the U.S. territory.

DuBoef said he doesn't believe the distractions will prevent Cotto from fighting.

"I think he's going to come in here [Saturday] not really that concerned, because June is a while from now," duBoef said.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
[h2]Khan, Maidana get 2-week extension[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

The junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan and interim titleholder Marcos Maidana have been given a two-week extension to see if they can work out an agreement for their mandatory fight, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

Golden Boy signed England's Khan to a promotional deal last weekend and co-promotes Maidana with Universum, one of the leading promoters in Germany.

The WBA had scheduled a Monday purse bid for Khan-Maidana in their offices in Panama before agreeing to the extension.

There was some confusion, however, because several media outlets reported that the sides had made a deal after the WBA announced on its Web site that the purse bid had been canceled because they struck a "tentative agreement" for the bout to take place "approximately" at the "end of March or beginning of April."

That is not the case, Schaefer said. He said Golden Boy asked for the extension, which is why the purse bid was called off, not because a deal for the fight had been made.

"Amir Khan just changed promoters and is with us now, so we asked the WBA to allow us to discuss things with him to see what he wants to do and so we can speak with our co-promoters with Maidana to see if we could come to terms without a purse bid, or work out a situation acceptable to both parties, and that was granted," Schaefer said. "We have two weeks to see what we can work out. If we can't work anything out we will go to a purse bid."

Freddie Roach, Khan's trainer, would prefer for Khan to face somebody else in his next fight rather than the big puncher from Argentina.

One possibility, according to Schaefer, is for Khan, who wants to fight in the United States, to make an optional defense with Maidana fighting on the undercard, before eventually matching them.

"A situation where they are on the same card would make sense. Let's build up the fight," Schaefer said. "We want to explore what other fights are out there."

Schaefer has discussed a match between Khan and former titlist Paulie Malignaggi with Malignaggi promoter Lou DiBella, but said that Khan facing Maidana is still possible for his next bout.

"Amir has not said to me, nor has Freddie said to me, that they are afraid to fight Maidana," Schaefer said. "But at this point of his career, there are other bigger names out there."

Schaefer mentioned Malignaggi along with former lightweight titleholders Juan Diaz and Nate Campbell, both of whom are promoted by Golden Boy, as potential opponents.

"If they are not available, Khan is not saying he won't fight Maidana," Schaefer said. "We have two weeks to figure it out."

The 23-year-old Khan (22-1, 16 KOs), a 2004 British Olympic silver medalist and the 2007 ESPN.com prospect of the year, won a 140-pound belt in July with a dominant decision victory against Andreas Kotelnik. Khan made his first defense on Dec. 5, stopping outgunned mandatory challenger Dmitriy Salita in 76 seconds.

Maidana (27-1, 26 KOs), 26, lost a debatable split decision to Kotelnik in a February 2009 title challenge before making a name for himself in June, when he stopped rising prospect Victor Ortiz in the sixth round in an HBO main event to claim the vacant interim title. Maidana has made one defense, a third-round knockout of William Gonzalez in November.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.
[h2]The top three pound-for-pound fighters[/h2]

Comment Email Print >http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-i... rel="nofollow">Share </div><cite class= By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Who is the world's best fighter regardless of weight class? See my top 20 below.

And don't forget to check out the divisional rankings, now updated weekly.

For a list of the current champions in all weight classes, click here.

Note: Results through Jan. 19.
[table][tr][td]1[/td] [td]
box_ap_pacquiao_65.jpg

Manny Pacquiao

Welterweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: Pacquiao is boxing's biggest star and the ESPN.com Fighter of the Year in three of the past four years. When he (and his team at Top Rank) and Floyd Mayweather Jr. (and his people, along with Golden Boy) screwed up the biggest fight in boxing, Pacquiao at least moved on to the next best available welterweight: former titleholder Joshua Clottey. It should be a good fight, and the fact that it will take place at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas adds a bit of sizzle to the promotion.

Misses: Pacquiao could have made the Mayweather fight, made boxing fans around the world ecstatic -- and earned perhaps as much as $40 million for the match -- if he had just agreed to drug testing (via blood) up to 14 days before the fight. He wouldn't budge off an arbitrary 24-day window. This is not an accusation that Pacquiao uses performance-enhancing drugs, but it's easy to understand why many believe he should just take the test if he has nothing to hide.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]
box_g_mayweather_65.jpg

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Welterweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: Since the fight with Pacquiao has fallen apart, there's a chance that Mayweather will face Shane Mosley in the spring instead. Aside from a fight with Pacquiao, Mosley is the biggest match Mayweather could possibly make -- and one that many fight fans have wanted to see for a long, long time.

Misses: Even if Mosley-Mayweather happens -- still a big "if" because Mayweather has avoided the top welterweights for years -- it's still not Pacquiao-Mayweather. Both camps screwed up that fight. We might eventually forgive, but we do not forget. Mayweather deserves a giant share of the blame for the fight falling apart because he wanted additional drug testing for Pacquiao (as well as himself) that isn't covered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]3[/td] [td]
box_g_hokins3_65.jpg

Bernard Hopkins

Light heavyweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: Even at 45, Hopkins remains a physical marvel. Six weeks before his Jan. 15 birthday, Hopkins ended a 14-month layoff and looked very good rolling to a near-shutout decision against a game Enrique Ornelas. Hopkins may be an old man, but he remains a master technician. He is one of the greatest fighters in history and would have had success boxing in any era.

Misses: Even though Roy Jones Jr. got blasted out in one round by Danny Green on the same day that Hopkins beat Ornelas -- which should have killed the Jones-Hopkins rematch that had previously been agreed to -- Hopkins still pressed for the fight. Jones, with nowhere else to go after such a pathetic loss, reworked their deal. The result is a spring rematch on pay-per-view. What a miserable idea.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[h2]Top pound-for-pound fighters[/h2]

Comment Email Print >http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-i... rel="nofollow">Share </div><cite class= By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
[table][tr][td]4[/td] [td]
box_a_mosley_65.jpg

Shane Mosley

Welterweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: Although Mosley's much-anticipated Jan. 30 unification bout against Andre Berto was canceled because of Berto's family tragedy, Mosley could wind up with a much, much bigger fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. if the negotiations work out. Mosley-Mayweather is one of the biggest fights boxing has to offer, even if it isn't as big as the ruined Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.

Misses: If Mosley-Mayweather is made for early May, the time frame being discussed, Mosley will have been out of the ring for 16 months since his spectacular destruction of Antonio Margarito in January 2009.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]5[/td] [td]
box_f_williams_65.jpg

Paul Williams

Middleweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: There are two outstanding options out there for Williams to go after this year. One is a rematch with junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez, whom Williams edged via majority decision in December in one of the best fights of 2009. The other is to challenge middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik, with whom he has tried to make a fight three times only to see it fall apart each time. Williams also continues to say he's willing to drop back to welterweight for the right fight.

Misses: As long as the Williams camp insists on parity to fight Pavlik, the bout is dead in the water. Besides, Pavlik may end up defending against Martinez in the spring, and that would leave Williams without either of his most significant opponents. And the answer won't be facing obscure welterweight belt holder Jan Zaveck, an opponent the Williams camp has reached out to.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]6[/td] [td]
box_a_dawson1_sw_65.jpg

Chad Dawson

Interim light heavyweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: In 2009, Dawson closed the book on rivalries with Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver, a pair of 40-plus fighters. In 2010, it finally looks as though Dawson will tangle with some of the talented younger guys in the division, beginning with a mandatory fight against 27-year-old titleholder Jean Pascal of Canada. Not only is it a legitimate matchup, it also figures to be a very good fight.

Misses: Although Dawson and his team would have preferred for the Pascal fight to take place in April, he'll have to wait until late June because Pascal is rehabilitating a shoulder injury that he suffered in his December rematch victory over Adrian Diaconu.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]7[/td] [td]
box_marquez_65.jpg

Juan Manuel Marquez

Lightweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: How good has the three-division champion been throughout his 17-year pro career? You can make a reasonable argument that the only absolutely clear loss of his career came in September when he moved up two divisions and dropped a lopsided decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr., who had all the advantages, including coming in heavier than the contract weight. The other blemishes on Marquez's record all have question marks: Two highly controversial fights (a split-decision loss and a draw) with Manny Pacquiao, a controversial decision loss to Chris John in John's native Indonesia, a debatable decision to Freddie Norwood in a fight in which Norwood did nothing but try to stink him out, and a first-round disqualification in Marquez's 1993 pro debut to long-forgotten journeyman Javier Duran.

Misses: He's 36 and coming off two very tough fights in 2009: the loss to Mayweather and the brutal ninth-round knockout victory against Juan Diaz. So you have to wonder just how much is left in the tank at this point.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8[/td] [td]
box_cotto_weighin_65.jpg

Miguel Cotto

Welterweight
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: Despite taking a pounding from Manny Pacquiao in November in a 12th-round TKO loss, the former welterweight and junior welterweight titleholder is hungry to come back. And when he does, he'll take the challenge of moving up to junior middleweight to face titlist Yuri Foreman in a fight Top Rank is negotiating with both fighters. Cotto has given so much of himself to boxing and should be appreciated every time he steps between the ropes, regardless of whom he faces.

Misses: Although Cotto has only two defeats to Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito, both fights ended in knockout losses with Cotto taking a beating in the later rounds. You wonder how much more he can take before it's over.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]9[/td] [td]
box_g_ndonaire1_65.jpg

Nonito Donaire

Interim junior bantamweight titlist
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: The "Filipino Flash" returns to action on Feb. 13 to open a year that has so much promise for him. If he takes care of business against Gerson Guerrero on Top Rank's pay-per-view card, and champion Vic Darchinyan wins his fight on March 6, we could see a rematch between Donaire and Darchinyan. Their 2007 fight was quite memorable, with Donaire scoring the sensational fifth-round knockout in an upset. Fight fans have talked about a rematch ever since.

Misses: It's too bad that a fighter with the talent and charisma of Donaire is stuck fighting low-profile (and poor) opponents such as Guerrero.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]10[/td] [td]
box_calderon_65.jpg

Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon

Junior flyweight champion
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Hits: Calderon, who celebrated his 35th birthday on Jan. 7, has been one of the best pure boxers of his generation, even if he has slowed just a tad in the past year or so. Even when Rodel Mayol, who would go on to win a belt, made him look bad in their two bouts in 2009 -- both of which ended with Calderon suffering severe cuts and forced a technical decision -- he still pulled out a decision and draw.

Misses: Calderon, who has won titles in two divisions, still has not had a defining fight despite fighting all sorts of former and future titleholders. He needs a significant fight. There's no reason a unification match with titleholder Brian Viloria can't be made if Viloria retains his title Friday, especially because Viloria promoter Top Rank and Calderon promoter PR Best Boxing have a very close relationship.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

The next 10:
11. Arthur Abraham
12. Kelly Pavlik
13. Chris John
14. Sergio Martinez
15. Tomasz Adamek
16. Timothy Bradley Jr.
17. Hozumi Hasegawa
18. Andre Ward
19. Celestino Caballero
20. Joshua Clottey

As much as i would like for Mosley vs Mayweather to happen i would've preferred Mosley vs Pacquiao first because i believe that Mosley would have a betterchance at beating Pacquiao as opposed to beating Mayweather.

i think Mosley could be outboxed if he fights Mayweather and that would prevent him from fighting Pacquaio should Mosley lose.

anyone think berto made a GREAT decison in pulling out.....on paper he still undefeated idk why i alway think he loss to collazo

He needs to focus on his family for a while so I think it was a great decision. Boxing comes second.

Originally Posted by EdWord

anyone think berto made a GREAT decison in pulling out.....
Well, he had to do what he had to do.

He could've made his name in the sport on Jan. 30th. IMO, when he comes back his options will be loser of PBF/Mosley (well only if mosley loses, PBF wontfight him because it wouldn't be big enough) or rematch with Collazo.

I'd like to see Maidana/Khan. But from what I read, Roach doesn't want Khan to fight a dangerous puncher at this point in his career. I'm stillhoping for a jr. welter tourney.

They've stuck him in w/Prescott and Kotelnik who can both crack. He's had enough coddling in his career and he has a belt, no more soft pushovers.It's time to take on the big boys and try to get to the top of the division. The sooner Roach realizes that, the sooner we'll get to see this fight.

Back
Top Bottom