2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Yea and Mayorga is a psychopath w/a big right hand. Vernon should have had him done early.
[h2]Source: Khan to Golden Boy for 3 fights[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan of England, unhappy with an offer from career-long promoter Frank Warren for his mandatory defense, signed with Golden Boy Promotions.

Khan and Golden Boy came to terms on Friday, but it was not announced until Sunday.

Khan, who had been working with Warren on a fight-by-fight basis in recent bouts, agreed to a three-fight deal with Oscar De La Hoya's company, according to a source familiar with the agreement.

"I am really happy Khan Promotions is partnering with Golden Boy as I know that together they will be the right team to help me continue my career as an elite fighter and to expand my fan base to the United States and around the world," Khan said. "I'm ready to fight anyone, anywhere, anytime and know that Golden Boy will help me accomplish these goals."

Technically, the deal is between Golden Boy and Khan Promotions, the fighter's shell company.

Khan's deal could commence in the spring with a bout in the United States, where he has wanted to fight, despite his popularity and ability to draw large crowds in England.

Khan (22-1, 16 KOs) has a mandatory defense due against interim titlist Marcos Maidana of Argentina, and a purse bid is scheduled for Monday at the WBA offices in Panama.

It is unclear if Khan will face Maidana, a dangerous opponent whom trainer Freddie Roach would prefer for Khan not to face. If Khan does not face Maidana, he could be stripped of his title. It is also possible that Maidana could step aside and allow Khan an interim bout. Golden Boy is a partner with Germany promoter Universum on Maidana's promotional contract, so that scenario is possible.

"Amir Khan is one of the most talented fighters in the world at any weight," De La Hoya said. "That talent, combined with his charismatic and outgoing personality, makes him a promoter's dream, and I feel will one day lead him to being the face of boxing. We are extremely excited to team with Khan Promotions and look forward to introducing Amir to fight fans in the United States and around the world."

The signing puts Britain's three most significant fighters under the Golden Boy promotional banner -- Khan, heavyweight titleholder David Haye and former junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton, who looms as a potential huge-money opponent for Khan.

On a recent trip the United States, Khan discussed a promotional deal with Golden Boy and rival Top Rank. Roach told ESPN.com that Khan called him from England on Friday and asked for him to put him in touch with Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

"So I put them together," Roach said. "I know Amir was not happy with the offer to fight Maidana and wanted to see if there was a better deal out there."

Apparently, he got one from Golden Boy, which hopes to make Khan's American debut fight against New Yorker Paulie Malignaggi at Madison Square Garden, perhaps as soon as April.

HBO, which televised one of Khan's early bouts on a Joe Calzaghe undercard, is interested in televising his bouts regularly. Since HBO also has an output deal with Golden Boy, it's almost a certainty that Khan's fights will air on HBO in the United States while continuing to be on pay-per-view in the United Kingdom.

Schaefer began trying to lay the groundwork for a fight with Malignaggi on Friday by calling his promoter, Lou DiBella, to tell him about the deal with Khan. Schaefer also notified HBO that he had made a deal with Khan.

"We are going to do everything in our power to get the biggest and best fights for Amir," Schaefer said. "Amir is already a star in the United Kingdom and now, we are going to help him shine in the United States and across the world."

Khan, 23, was a 2004 British Olympic silver medalist and one of the most heralded prospects in boxing. He was the 2007 ESPN.com prospect of the year but suffered a shocking first-round knockout loss to Breidis Prescott in September 2008.

However, since then Khan has won four fights in a row. He claimed 140-pound title last July by easily outpointing Andreas Kotelnik with new trainer Roach in his corner, and made his first defense on Dec. 5 by knocking out mandatory challenger Dmitriy Salita in 76 seconds.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Promoter Gary Shaw has advised BoxingScene.com that a junior middleweight slugfest between Alfredo Angulo and Joel Julio has been finalized for April 24 on HBO. Shaw was advised by his matchmaker that a deal was reached with Russell Peltz, who was representing Julio's promoter Main Events. As previously reported, promoter Dan Goossen has that April date reserved on HBO. To make everything connect, Shaw reached a deal with Goossen to place Angulo-Julio on the card. Heavyweight Chris Arreola is scheduled for the main event, and the tentative opponent could end up being Tomasz Adamek.

WBC/WBC super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan's planned fight with Raul Martinez is in the toilet, but Shaw still plans to have him appear in the March 6 co-feature slot to Arthur Abraham vs. Andre Dirrell on Showtime. Martinez made a demand of $100,000 dollars for the fight. Top Rank confirmed that number to BoxingScene. Shaw had offered $70,000, a number that is higher than the $65,000 that Martinez received for his knockout loss to Nonito Donaire in 2009. Shaw is looking at a few different names to replace Martinez.

frown.gif
My boy "The Love Child" bout to catch another beating...

Kid can never seem to win when it counts....

We'll see though. Angulo isn't untouchable...ask Kermit Cintron.

By Andre Berto

Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood. I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica survived, but were left homeless. I have seen the pain in my parents' eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home.

As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30.

Throughout the past six days, I have received an incredible outpouring of support, and I sincerely appreciate everyone's prayers for the people of Haiti. I hope that everyone will continue to keep the Haitian people in their thoughts and prayers as we work to rebuild this proud nation. The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event.

mosley vs. PBF

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I will take him by his word but i don't know man

Golden boy been saying they will announce floyds fight by Tuesday or Wednesday and it was a big name

then this comes out?

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

By Andre Berto

Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood. I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica survived, but were left homeless. I have seen the pain in my parents' eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home.

As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30.

Throughout the past six days, I have received an incredible outpouring of support, and I sincerely appreciate everyone's prayers for the people of Haiti. I hope that everyone will continue to keep the Haitian people in their thoughts and prayers as we work to rebuild this proud nation. The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event.

mosley vs. PBF

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

%*#% that *#!! fight !#%+$!!! they're %*!%$%# alive,fight!!!!!

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Golden boy been saying they will announce floyds fight by Tuesday or Wednesday and it was a big name

then this comes out?

they said this 20 year old mexican is the front runner now..

cmon MM you gotta fight someone good.

Well I was wrong about the earthquake giving Berto motivation/inspiration for the fight.

Gotta believe that PBF/Shane is gonna take place in March. GBP is gonna want to stick it to Top Rank.

HBO will buy this fight over Pac/Clottey.

edit:
Richard Schaefer said if they are able to make this fight its unlikely to happen in March.

Ohhh yeah. PBF/Shane would sell way more than Pac/Clottey. That would be a great way for them to basically say "%!#+ Top Rank"

Originally Posted by CaponeCartels

War Mosley!

o ok so this is Mfresh

PBF VS Mosley is the PBF VS judah all over again, he will take a few rounds to figure out his speed and then start to pick him apart.

then this comes out?

my thoughts exactly.

War Mosley!

o ok so this is Mfresh

PBF VS Mosley is the PBF VS judah all over again, he will take a few rounds to figure out his speed and then start to pick him apart.

styles make fights.... we'll see.
my prob is shane dont jab. so he gonan be at a disadvantage.

I'll believe this fight is up next when the fighters are at the weigh in...

War Mosley!

o ok so this is Mfresh

It all depends if Mosley is still in good condition after that long layoff.
I'd say it's 60/40 in favor of Mayweather.

But I'm still gonna root for Mosley.
glasses.gif

War Mosley!

o ok so this is Mfresh

Lets just hope they get in there together. Is shane still with BHOP trainer? If so I see him beating Mayweather

I got the text that he pulled out of the fight as I passed by this enormous billboard/poster they have in Times Square of the upcoming fight. Hope we see thisfight eventually though.

Another 2 months off for Mosley doesn't bode well for him though.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I got the text that he pulled out of the fight as I passed by this enormous billboard/poster they have in Times Square of the upcoming fight. Hope we see this fight eventually though.

Another 2 months off for Mosley doesn't bode well for him though.
I'd love for this fight to take place in Feb, although most likely it'll happen around march/april.

There is absolutely nothing happening next month....

Back
Top Bottom