2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Bobby, I'll eat crow; I really didn't think Berto was going to stop Quintana. But reading some of these comments, it seems like he didn't have the greatest performance. I'm still not on the Berto bandwagon. IMO, he will always be a 2nd tier fighter AT BEST.

Yooooo, I forgot to post but I met Nonito Donaire 2 weeks ago at some Filipino convention out in the Bay Area. Dude is my favorite Pinoy fighter. He confirmed fighting Vic in August (he said that its up to Vic's team to agree to it) and fighting a tune-up in May.

i dont know if its just me but did caballero seem a lil sugary...his punching was so ugly...although it did do damage. i feel sorry for little dude. the mayweather camp better get those punches straightened out for him. i kept falling asleep on the berto fight. dude is quick and nice but i dont know about him vs shane....

mayweather is hilarious my fav quote "Shane says im playing for money...you **#$!ng dummy! I'm a prize fighter i'm supposed to play for a prize!" I was in tears. That is my dude

Originally Posted by Proshares

Watching him destroy Yordan has me more convinced that Caballero would have given JML a beating at 122. I hope money doesn't get in the way of Gamboa/Caballero.

laugh.gif
HELL NOOOOO
I cant ride wit u on that

that dude more feather fisted than Juan Diaz. andddd Yourdan almost K'd his %** in that last round
eek.gif

laugh.gif

who the hell ever heard of a Puerto rican in the nation of islam
laugh.gif
this %%$$% was screamin allahuakbar I was like what
eek.gif

Yo if Yourdan thru some body punches it woulda been a different fight.
 Gamboa gonna put his lanky %+* to SLEEP I know yall heard us get the " Juan Ma "
 chant goin
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

it was one Cuban Yunel Jonhson , on the undercard, dude was Nice and I mean NICEEE
eek.gif

Nah man, I can not agree with the Juan Diaz part you're wild on that one
laugh.gif

He'll make a good fight because he'll just go right in there toe to toe.

You know he's a reggae singer too, right?

Evander knocked out Botha.

Im with jay on that one, all I though durning the fight was jml would knock this fool out. He was getting hit just as much as he was hitting the other dude. With jml power he would be seen stars

You know he's a reggae singer too, right?

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Mike, dude was gettin hit with the kitchen sink ... Yourdan was just fightin real young, throwin one wild shot at a time.

and Berto still be with that flurry then hold %$*%. yo he got Dropped and they aint even count it, what was the ref call, slip?

Quintana need to take a seat nexct to Miguel Cotto in the PR retirement home.

I still can't believe Paul lost to this guy.

Watching the replay now but I watched this at the bar last night so did not hear any of the commentators but I had no idea Arthur Mercante died. RIP.

Just watched the HBO card...

What was with the HBO team last night...they were acting like Yordan was taking a life changing beating
laugh.gif
  As far as I could tell he was blocking most of the head punches and mainly only taking clean body shots.  Plus it seemed like most of Caballero's punches didn't really have a whole lot on them.  Yordan was also getting a fair amount of clean punches in himself.

Caballero reminds of Margarito with some defense in the sense that he's tall and throws a ton of punches without a whole lot of power or speed, but instead the damage can come from accumulation.  As far as his defense he does some good things like rolling with and slipping punches but then other times it's almost like he was complete lapses where he gets hit cleanly.

I think JML fight would be interesting as it was shown he Caballero is open for hooks and JML has a pretty good one.  On other hand JML doesn't have the greatest defense and would probably take some punishment as well. 

Impressive showing from Berto as far as the KO.  I didn't think that would happen. 

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Sunrise, Fla.
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Andre Berto TKO8 Carlos Quintana
Retains a welterweight title
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Berto, 26-0, 20 KOs; Quintana, 27-3, 21 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Considering everything Berto has been through in recent months coupled with an 11-month layoff, he looked pretty good against Quintana, whose awkward style can sometimes be difficult to deal with. First, to Berto's situation, which has been well-documented: He was training to fight Shane Mosley in a Jan. 30 welterweight unification bout. Just a couple of weeks before the biggest fight of his career, a massive earthquake devastated Haiti, the Caribbean island nation where his parents are from and where he has many family members and close ties. Eight members of his family were killed and, with his anguished family dealing with so much, Berto pulled out of the Mosley fight and went with his brother, Cleveland, on a weeklong relief mission to the island, where he was right in the middle of the post-quake chaos doing whatever he could do to help.

When it was finally time to get back into the ring, Puerto Rico's Quintana, 33, a former titleholder who owns the only pro victory against pound-for-pound entrant Paul Williams (as well as a first-round knockout loss in their rematch) got the call. Quintana figured to give Berto a solid fight because of his tricky style and did for a few rounds. Berto, 26, was clearly rusty from his time off and it showed. Quintana appeared to score a knockdown in the first round with a punch high on the head, but referee Tommy Kimmons ruled that it was a slip. Quintana continued to look good in the second round and it looked like we might be in store for an upset. But Berto, who said he injured his left bicep either in the first or second round, showed heart and sucked it up in his fourth defense. Quintana was the third southpaw in a row Berto faced, so that didn't seem to give him too many problems, and by the third round Berto was starting to catch him with straight right hands. Kimmons took a point from Quintana in the third round for rabbit punching, but it wasn't going to make a difference, because Berto was gunning for the knockout.

Eventually, he got it -- and in style. Clearly ahead on the cards, despite the sloppy start, Berto, from nearby Winter Haven, Fla., went after Quintana in the eighth round and knocked him all over the ring. Quintana was trying to hold or get away, but could do neither, and with Kimmons looking in closely and about to stop the fight at any moment, Berto hammered him with a straight right hand along the ropes. Quintana's head snapped back like a rubber band being launched off a finger tip, and Kimmons jumped in to stop the fight. Quintana didn't complain and Berto had himself a very solid knockout against a quality opponent. You could just see the rust coming off him round by round, and by the end, he was in a rhythm that was interrupted only by Quintana's attempts to tie him up.

Berto dedicated the card to his devastated homeland, dubbing it "Fighting for Haiti," and promised to donate a percentage of the gate receipts to his Berto Dynasty Foundation, which has been helping with Haitian relief. Unfortunately, the card was a commercial bomb. The BankAtlantic Center, home to the NHL's Florida Panthers, is huge and barely 3,000 or so showed up, many because of free tickets. What a shame, because it was a good card for a good cause.

Lou DiBella, Berto's promoter, promised there would not be another 11-month layoff for his young titleholder. Berto wants to get a big fight with one of the big three in the division: Mosley, Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather. Mosley and Mayweather do battle on May 1. Pacquiao may fight the winner or Antonio Margarito in the fall. It could leave Berto without that huge fight, so they will have to go to Plan B. But Berto just needs to be active, and hope his left bicep isn't too badly injured so he can get back to work in a few months.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Featherweight
Celestino Caballero W12 Daud Yordan

Scores: 120-107, 119-108, 118-1008​
[tr][td]Records: Caballero, 34-2, 23 KOs; Yordan, 25-1, 19 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Caballero may have looked too good for his own good. Unable to get any significant fights at 122 pounds, the 33-year-old junior featherweight titleholder from Panama moved up to the 126-pound featherweight division in search of bigger business. He had made eight title defenses after winning his belt in 2006 (and unifying two belts in 2008) but couldn't lure top dogs in the division into the ring. He chased after titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez for ages only to see Lopez move up in weight and win a belt. So Caballero followed him up in weight.

When the HBO undercard fight between light heavyweight titlist Tavoris Cloud and Glen Johnson was called off because of Cloud's supposed injury and subsequent signing with promoter Don King, promoter Lou DiBella put this interesting match together. Caballero wound up dominating in an excellent performance while Indonesia's Yordan showed enormous courage in taking an absolute shellacking but making it to the final bell in a fight his corner should have probably stopped after about the ninth round. Yordan, 22, was relatively untested, although he had looked good for the first round and a half against Robert Guerrero in an HBO fight in March 2009. But that fight ended in the second round after an accidental head butt cut Guerrero, who elected not to continue, making it a no contest. Against Caballero, all Yordan could do was take massive punishment while occasionally landing single hard lefts and rights to at least catch Caballero's attention. But Caballero was like a man on a mission. He never stropped throwing punches and landed almost at will. Whether it was his solid and quick jab, a brutal body assault or nasty right uppercuts, Caballero laid a beating on Yordan.

At 5-foot-11 and with such an enormous punch output, Caballero will be a handful for anyone. Check out the CompuBox stats -- Caballero landed 325 of 1,248 punches (26 percent) while Yordan barely threw as many as Caballero landed, going 105 of 379 (28 percent). Caballero's punch output was the third-most thrown in a featherweight fight tracked by CompuBox, which has tracked fights for 25 years.

Before the fight, there had been talk that if Caballero beat Yordan, he would be at the top of the list to challenge featherweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa on an HBO card being planned for July 24. However, after the performance Caballero turned in, Gamboa's handlers may have second thoughts when it comes to making the fight. Don't be shocked if it doesn't happen. Caballero couldn't get big names to fight him at junior featherweight. He may have more of the same trouble at featherweight because he's really good, really risky to fight and doesn't bring a lot of economic muscle to the table.
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr]
Welterweight
Antwone Smith KO3 Franklin Gonzalez

[tr][td]Records: Smith, 18-1, 9 KOs; Gonzalez, 13-5, 9 KOs).
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Miami's Smith, 23, pulled a string of upsets over the past couple of years to turn himself from an opponent into a prospect. Smith continued his impressive run with a blistering body-shot knockout against the Dominican Republic's Gonzalez, who lost for the third time in four fights. It wasn't that Smith beat a top opponent that was impressive, it was how he did it. Smith dominated the first two rounds and then authored one of the most painful-looking knockouts you'll ever see. If he hadn't been wearing boxing gloves, you'd wear he pulled out a knife and stuck it through Gonzalez's rib cage. That's how brutal of a body shot he landed. Gonzalez was wide open when Smith just absolutely ripped him with a full-leverage left hook. Gonzalez went down in agony and when he grunted in pain it was audible at ringside. Referee Tommy Kimmons could have counted to 100, at least. Gonzalez stayed down for several minutes while being attended to by ringside personnel. It was about as long as you will ever see a fighter stay down after being knocked out with a body shot. He is probably still short of breath today.

It was an important win for Smith, who is under consideration to fight on HBO on June 5 in the opening television fight under the Yuri Foreman-Miguel Cotto junior middleweight title fight at Yankee Stadium. The being discussed is Smith against Philadelphia prospect Mike Jones, who first needs to win his bout on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J., on the Kelly Pavlik-Sergio Martinez undercard. HBO has approved two fights -- Jones against Smith or Jones against Carlos Luis Abregu. Whichever one the promoters can make in a timely fashion is probably the one we'll see. Smith at did his part, which is to win and do so decisively.
[/td][/tr]

[/table][table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Las Vegas
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Evander Holyfield TKO8 Francois Botha
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Holyfield, 43-10-2, 28 KOs; Botha, 47-5-3, 28 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Fifteen years ago this fight would have meant something. Today, it was just a pathetic disgrace that never should have been sanctioned between two guys who should have long ago left the ring. What's in the water in Las Vegas anyway? First the Nevada commission approved the seniors tour horror show between Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones two weeks ago. Now, it's the 47-year-old Holyfield facing the 41-year-old Botha in a pointless fight there was no demand for, as evidenced by the woeful turnout of 3,127 at the Thomas & Mack Center, a huge arena where Holyfield, the former four-time heavyweight champ fighting in Las Vegas for the first time since James Toney knocked him out in 2003, fought some of his most significant fights. This was not one of them. Instead, this was a sad sight as the main event on a horrendous pay-per-view card that looked as though it was produced by a high school audio/visual club. The bloated Botha easily dominated an inactive and old-looking Holyfield for the first five rounds. But, as he has done so many times before, South Africa's Botha faded in short order. After handling Holyfield with right hands and body shots, Botha slowed dramatically as Holyfield came on in the sixth round. By the eighth, Botha was gassed and Holyfield mounted his best offense of the fight, dropping him with a short right hand near the ropes. Botha made it to his feet, but Holyfield let whatever he had left hang out. He put together a good flurry that included a solid right hand and as Botha sagged into a corner, referee Russell Mora finally ended the freak show with 55 seconds left in the round. Botha now owns the inglorious achievement of being knocked out in all of his losses by the biggest names the era: Holyfield, Wladimir Klitschko (2002), Lennox Lewis (2001), Mike Tyson (1999) and Michael Moorer (1996). Holyfield ended a two-fight losing skid (although his last fight, a title bout against Nikolai Valuev in December 2008, was a robbery) and now wants a fight with either Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko for their titles. If that happens, the person responsible for approving such a heinous mismatch should be spit on.

[/td][/tr]

Saturday at Rancho Mirage, Calif.
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
David Estrada TKO8 Orlando Lora
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Estrada, 24-6, 15 KOs; Lora, 25-1-1, 18 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Mexico's Lora, 29, entered the ESPN2 main event with a glossy record built against stiffs, so Estrada, a real fighter, was his first real test. Lora failed and failed miserably as Estrada laid a butt whuppin' on him from the opening bell until the ringside doctor mercifully recommended that referee Raul Caiz Jr. to stop the thrashing after the eighth round. Although Estrada, 31, of Chicago, has lost to the elite opponents he had faced, such as Shane Mosley, Andre Berto and Kermit Cintron, he came in with way more experience than Lora and it showed. Estrada couldn't miss with his right hand and also hammered Lora to the body. He opened a cut over Lora's left eye with an accidental head butt in the fourth round and dished out a brutal pounding Lora may never forget. Estrada has his eyes on two fights: a rematch with Luis Carlos Abregu, who won a split decision against him in December 2008, or a rematch with Berto, who stopped him in the 11th round of a very tough fight in 2007.
[/td][/tr]

Saturday, Las Vegas
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Mark Melligen W10 Norberto Gonzalez
Scores: 100-90 (three times)
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Melligen, 18-2, 13 KOs; Gonzalez, 18-2, 12 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In a surprisingly one-sided fight, Melligen, 24 of the Philippines, rolled past Mexico's Gonzalez, 28, with ease in the "Top Rank Live" main event. Melligen, a good prospect who has was lauded by Floyd Mayweather Jr. for the quality sparring he gave him before his fight last fall against Juan Manuel Marquez, was aggressive and busy against the more tentative Gonzalez. Melligen won his second in a row since suffering his lone defeat, which came under some tough circumstances. In November, Michel Rosales defeated him via 10-round split decision, but Melligen has reasonable excuse for his lackluster performance in that bout. Earlier on the card, his buddy, Z Gorres, had collapsed after a win and was rushed to the hospital for brain surgery, understandably throwing him off his game. Gorres survived and Melligen seems to have regained his footing as a quality prospect.

In three notable undercard bouts: Las Vegas lightweight Diego Magdaleno (15-0, 3 KOs) outboxed Denver's Manny Perez (14-6-1, 2 KOs) to win a unanimous decision, 100-90, 99-91, 97-93; Washington D.C. junior welterweight Lamont Peterson (28-1, 14 KOs), in his first bout since losing a lopsided decision challenging Timothy Bradley Jr. for his title in December, handed Detroit's Damian Fuller (30-7-1, 14 KOs) his third loss in a row via seventh-round knockout; and heralded Top Rank junior welterweight prospect Jose Benavidez (4-0, 4 KOs), 17, dropped Canada's Scott Paul (5-5-1) in the first round and stopped him at 1:30 of the second round.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Friday at London
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Audley Harrison KO12 Michael Sprott
Wins vacant European heavyweight title
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Harrison, 27-4, 20 KOs; Sprott, 32-15, 17 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Harrison, the 2000 British Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist, was a dud as a professional and what was left of his career took a huge nosedive in February 2007. That is when Sprott put him to sleep with a gargantuan one-punch knockout in the third round. Harrison had pretty much been off the radar since until meeting his British countryman in a rematch. Harrison was not looking good in the sequel against Sprott, 35, who had lost four of his six fights since the huge knockout of Harrison in their first fight but was soundly outpointing him through most of the rematch. Another loss to Sprott would have effectively ended any prayer of a big fight for the 38-year-old Harrison and perhaps sent him into retirement. But then Harrison rescued his career and claimed the European title with massive punch. It wasn't as big of a shot as Sprott cracked him with in their first bout, but Harrison landed the out-of-nowhere left hand 65 seconds into the final round and knocked Sprott out for the big comeback. Harrison said he injured his shoulder in the fight and that he knew he needed a knockout in the final round to salvage the fight. Congrats to him for digging down and getting it. As European champ, Harrison will get himself a bigger fight. It's up to him to see how far he can take it. He's always been blessed with terrific physical attributes, but sometimes lacked the heart for the fight. He didn't against Sprott and it showed.
[/td][/tr][/table]

Potential for big time fireworks this upcoming weekend.

For the most part, I was impressed with Berto's performance. He still doesnt put his punches together like he should with that kind of speed nor does he go to the body enough.

Im on my damn phone but I got text a link that isnt working, anyone know what its about? its something about The VVladimir K punking David Haye... Im tempted to pull in a Library or something and go online ande do an internet search

He basically just called him out to fight. Said he can't run away forever and you need me to be respected at heavyweight. Called him out about ducking Vitali too.

Berto diagnosed with biceps tear

Welterweight titlist Andre Berto suspected that he had torn his left biceps in either the first or second round of his defense against Carlos Quintana on Saturday night in Sunrise, Fla., and it turned out that he was correct.

Berto told ESPN.com that he was diagnosed with a tear in the muscle on Tuesday after seeing his doctor in Winter Haven, Fla., and undergoing an MRI.

"But my tendons are still intact as they can see," Berto said. "So I am gonna have to ice it and rest for a few weeks so the swelling can go down [and] then start rehab."

Berto (26-0, 20 KOs), who had been icing the arm since he knocked out Quintana in the eighth round of his fourth title defense, said his doctor told him he needed six to eight weeks to recover.

"But the doctor said it should be fine," Berto said. "Not a serious tear, just needs time to heal."

Berto added that he was going to Los Angeles to see another specialist for a second opinion.

Despite the injury, Berto, 26, who hadn't fought in 11 months, dominated the fight at the BankAtlantic Center after the second round before stopping former titleholder Quintana with an eighth-round onslaught on blows.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Maidana injures back, postpones fight

Argentina's power punching Marcos Maidana suffered a back injury, forcing his fight against junior welterweight titleholder Timothy Bradley Jr. to be postponed, Bradley co-promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Bradley was scheduled to defend his 140-pound title against Maidana, who holds an interim belt, on June 19 at the Agua Caliente resort in Rancho Mirage, Calif., which is just a few miles from Bradley's hometown of Palm Springs.

"Maidana got hurt and the fight will be postponed for about a month," Shaw said.

Shaw said he spoke to Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Eric Gomez and then to CEO Richard Schaefer, who co-promotes Maidana, on Tuesday, and they told him about the injury.

"They confirmed that Maidana hurt his back but that he still wants the fight, but that he's needs roughly 20 days [off]," Shaw said. "They said he still wanted the fight, otherwise, I could have switched back to [Luis Carlos Abregu]. I will take them at their word that it's Maidana's back and that he still wants to fight Tim."

Bradley (25-0, 11 KOs), 26, had been slated to make his HBO debut against Abregu on June 19 in a nontitle welterweight bout. However, last week, Shaw, Schaefer and HBO put together the more attractive fight against Maidana.

A new date has not been set, Shaw said.

"I've been on the phone with HBO but we need to work with HBO and Agua Caliente to find the right date that works," Shaw said.

Maidana (28-1, 27 KOs), 26, was looking to make a quick ring return after his impressive sixth-round knockout of Victor Cayo on HBO on March 27.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

6. Nikolai Valuev (50-2)

Valuev's people are negotiating a possible May 29 fight between the 7-foot, 320-pound former titleholder and James Toney, who is more than a foot shorter and would be outweighed by roughly 100 pounds.
Next: TBA.

3. Cory Spinks (37-5)

Spinks, who is awaiting a date for his overdue mandatory defense against Cornelius "K9" Bundrage (29-4), was charged with misdemeanor DUI and leaving the scene of an accident on April 10 in Vero Beach, Fla. Glad to see he's training hard for his next fight.
Next: TBA vs. Bundrage.

2. Devon Alexander (20-0)

Alexander looked spectacular knocking out Juan Urango in the eighth round to unify titles on March 6 in his HBO debut. The sky is the limit for the rising St. Louis star, who probably will return to fight in his hometown in early August on HBO. Maidana had been the main target, but now that he is facing Bradley instead, Alexander's handlers have turned their attention to former titlist Andreas Kotelnik.

6. Celestino Caballero (34-2)

Caballero, a longtime junior featherweight titlist, moved up in weight and laid a beating on previously undefeated Daud Yordan on HBO on the April 10 Andre Berto-Carlos Quintana undercard. Caballero simply overwhelmed Yordan with his incredible volume punching in an impressive performance that might give Gamboa second thoughts about facing him.

Won't be able to catch it tonight but HBO: Real Sports is doing a piece on the Gatti, Forrest, and Arguello deaths (RIP).

Just a heads up.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Dako, isn't Mark Melligan you're boy?
yup.  Southpaw, similar built with Pacman but just taller...  though he's about as fast as Clottey 
laugh.gif
  I'm happy to read that he dominated.  Dude used to have stamina problems.  Being with the Mayweather camp helped him alot. 

Back
Top Bottom