2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Gunna and Mike convinced me to hate Margarito. I just conformed I couldn't argue anymore
laugh.gif

For some reason...I think PBF/Pac bout will still happen in March. ...of course I give hopes of that by the end of this week.

I actually like the proposed undercard for Pac/Clottey.

As far as Clottey's chin, yea I dunno. But IMO, Pac will not KO Clottey.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

why do people hat on marg
because he is a cheating BUM

1.best chin in the game
2.one of the most active dudes in the ring
3........name one one boring margarito fight....................i'll wait.........
hitlist is nice too

sergio martinez
joshua clottey
miguel cotto
kermit cintron

dudes mad....margarito's swag is appreciated.....real talk i want him to give cotto a rematch so he can beat that clown some more

gave away the williams fight too smh gave williams the first 6 took the next 5 lost the 12th :/

Thank God.

[h2]Desiring break, Taylor won't fight in April[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Former undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, who has lost four of his last five fights, including three by crushing knockout, withdrew Tuesday from Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic.

Taylor was due to face super middleweight titleholder Andre Ward in the second stage of the modified round-robin tournament on April 17.

"I'm going to take some time off from the sport of boxing and take myself out of [the] Showtime Sports World Boxing Classic tournament," Taylor said in a statement. "It's important that I give my body and mind some much-needed rest, because I have been boxing for nearly 20 years. I plan on keeping myself in shape and making a return to the sport sometime in the future."

This dude Salgado KOed Linares and got KOed himself this weekend.

[table][tr][th=""]
Monday at Tokyo
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior lightweight
Takashi Uchiyama TKO12 Juan Carlos Salgado
Wins a junior lightweight title
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Uchiyama, 14-0, 11 KOs; Salgado, 22-1-1, 16 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In the first surprise of the new year, Japan's Uchiyama, 30, controlled the fight with Salgado before stopping him with 12 seconds left to go on a card staged on a Japanese national holiday, Coming of Age Day. Although Uchiyama does not have a lot of pro experience, he had scored some solid victories against the likes of Hero Bando and Nedal Hussein, so it was no shock to see him in the title bout. In fact, Uchiyama led on all three scorecards going into the last round, 107-102 on two of them and 106-103 on the third. Then in the last stanza, Uchiyama ripped the fading Salgado with a right hand that knocked him down. Salgado, 25, of Mexico, got to his feet and referee Raul Caiz Sr. allowed the bout to continue, but not for long. Uchiyama launched another attack and Caiz quickly intervened to save Salgado from more of a beating. It was sure a different story for Salgado than his last fight. In October, Salgado came to Japan and scored a major upset, perhaps the biggest of 2009, when he knocked out Japan-based Jorge Linares in the first round. Linares had been heralded by many as a sure-fire future superstar, but Salgado blew him out in just 93 seconds. My how fortunes change in just a few months.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior featherweight
Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym W12 Satoshi Hosono
Retains a junior featherweight title
Scores: 117-113, 115-113, 114-114
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Kratingdaenggym, 40-1, 28 KOs; Hosono, 16-1, 12 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Thailand's Poonsawat, 29, went to Japan and beat the local fighter via majority decision, always something tough to do when you're on the road in a competitive fight. Poonsawat looked in great shape, worked well inside and did enough during the back-and-forth bout to get the nod in his first defense. Poonsawat was coming off a brilliant performance in a third-round knockout of Bernard Dunne to win the belt in Dunne's home country of Ireland in September. So you have to give Poonsawat a lot of credit for his willingness to travel in for his second consecutive title bout. And you could understand if Poonsawat didn't want to go on the road, because his lone defeat in 2006 came in Germany via decision to Wladimir Sidorenko in a bantamweight title bout that two judges had close and the third had it a ridiculous shutout for Sidorenko. Poonsawat and Hosono, 26, who was coming off an excellent decision victory against countryman Hiroyuki Enoki in October, spent a good deal of the fight exchanging punches at close quarters. Although Hosono is the better puncher, Poonsawat was a little busier and a little more accurate, which helped him to the victory. Now a word about Poonsawat's belt: He holds the pathetic WBA's "regular" title. Make no mistake who the legitimate titleholder is -- that's Celestino Caballero, who has unified belts.
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Magdeburg, Germany
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Super middleweight
Robert Stieglitz TKO5 Ruben Eduardo Acosta
Retains a super middleweight title
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Stieglitz, 37-2, 23 KOs; Acosta, 23-4-5, 7 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: The Russian-born, German-based Stieglitz, 28, was supposed to make his first title defense against Colombia's Edison Miranda, but Miranda withdrew from the bout on Dec. 28, citing flu-like symptoms and a nasal infection that his promoter said had him at barely 50 percent effectiveness. So on a few days' notice, Argentina's Acosta, 31, who had been training for another bout, took Stieglitz's camp up on the offer to fight. Stieglitz, who claimed the title in August with an 11th-round knockout of Karoly Balzsay in a minor upset, dominated the late substitute. He dropped Acosta with a left hook in the third round and again with a body blow in the fifth round that dumped Acosta to the seat of his pants in a corner. After Acosta survived the body punch, Stieglitz (who was fighting in his hometown) was all over him and Jose Hiram Rivera waived it off during the follow-up assault. Since Librado Andrade knocked him out in the eighth round in an HBO fight in March 2008, Stieglitz has won six in a row and a title in one of boxing's deepest divisions. Perhaps we could see a unification fight between Stieglitz and Lucian Bute, the two 168-pound titleholders not involved in Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic?
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Denis Boytsov TKO2 Kevin Montiy
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Boytsov, 27-0, 22 KOs; Montiy, 17-7-1, 13 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Boytsov, a 23-year-old Russian living in Germany, is right on the cusp of being a top-10 heavyweight, and he has looked very impressive in recent fights. His victory against journeyman Montiy was no exception. Boytsov thoroughly dominated him, dropping him in the second round before drilling him to the seat of his pants with a fight-ending left hook. Montiy, 34, fell to 0-4 with a no contest in his last five bouts. For Boytsov, who at 6-foot-1, 224 is a perhaps a tad undersized, it's time to take a step up in competition.
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]
Friday at Glendale, Calif.
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Roman Karmazin KO10 Dionisio Miranda
Title eliminator
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Karmazin, 40-3-1, 26 KOs; Miranda, 20-4-2, 18 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: What an excellent way to begin the 2010 season of ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights." The undercard was woeful, but the main event made up for it as Karmazin and Miranda put on an exciting fight with a dramatic ending, which happened to be our very first knockout of the year candidate just eight days into 2010. Karmazin pulled this one out in style. At 37, Karmazin himself said this fight was make or break. Win, and he would continue his career, especially with the winner due a mandatory title shot against the winner of the Jan. 30 bout between German beltholder Sebastian Sylvester and Spain's Pablo Navascues. Lose, and Karmazin said he'd have to seriously consider retirement. It did not look good for the Russian-born, Los Angeles-based Karmazin for much of the fight. Karmazin, a former junior middleweight titleholder before losing his belt to Cory Spinks in 2006 via majority decision, was badly hurt by Colombia's Miranda, 27, in the third round. Had Miranda been a bit more skilled, he may have been able to finish Karmazin off there. In the ninth round, Karmazin, his legs shaky, was in big trouble again. This time, Miranda knocked him down with a big right hand, the one punch that gave him a chance to win. But Karmazin, a former member of the Soviet army who is trained by Freddie Roach, survived because of his big heart. Miranda, who was bleeding from a cut next to his left because of an accidental head butt, appeared in control in the 10th round. But that's when out of nowhere, Karmazin dropped Miranda with a series of blows to end the fight in a dramatic style. Miranda did not appear to be badly hurt by the shots, but was clearly out of gas, so referee James Jen-Kin called it off. Miranda dropped to 2-3 in his past five, including a second-round knockout to Giovanni Lorenzo two fights ago in another title eliminator.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

^^^^^^^ taylor got me into boxing so i dont let go. i wanted him to go in there against ward and come out with a W . but hey its whats best for him

Originally Posted by SJSneakerheadIII

Is Berto favored over Shane??

Looks like I'm gonna have a sweet payday coming up.
pimp.gif

shane is favored over berto.......i got berto winning ....hopefully the time off helped him patch up that weak @*+ defense ...but at 38 and with a year off idont think mosley is ready for world class speed...should have got a easy fight in the fall to prepare for this one

Mayweather also fighting on March 13

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao will still compete against each other on March 13, but not in the ring. Instead, they will be duking it out forpay-per-view buys.

Two days after Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, announced plans for Pacquiao to defend his welterweight title against former titlist JoshuaClottey on March 13, Mayweather is making plans to fight on the same night.

While Pacquiao will face Clottey at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, just outside of Dallas -- Arum concluded a deal with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones onSunday -- Mayweather will face an opponent to be determined at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Sundaynight.

"It's a date Golden Boy has had for a long time and nothing has changed," Schaefer said. "We have been talking to Team Mayweather to see whothe opponent will be. I hope to have something to announce in the next few days."

The MGM Grand was supposed to host the Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight before it broke up for good on Friday over a month-long dispute between the camps on thedrug testing protocol for a bout that many believed would be the highest grossing fight in history.

According to sources, Mayweather's list of potential opponents includes former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi and Golden Boy-promoted formerlightweight titlist Nate Campbell, both smaller men than Mayweather, as well as former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron, who is a similar kind of opponentas Clottey is for Pacquiao. There is also a more remote possibility of Mayweather facing junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr., who has ties toShowtime, which may not want to let him walk away for a possible fight on rival HBO PPV.

One opponent Mayweather will not be facing is Matthew Hatton, the brother of former junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton, whom Mayweather knocked out in a2007 welterweight title fight. Reports in Matthew Hatton's native England indicate that he is under consideration.

However, Schaefer said that is not the case.

"There is absolutely no truth to the rumors about Matthew Hatton. I can't tell you for sure who Floyd will fight, but I can tell you for sure itwon't be Matthew Hatton," Schaefer said.

With Pacquiao and Mayweather going their separate ways against lesser opponents on competing pay-per-view cards, HBO, which has broadcast both fighters'biggest bouts on pay-per-view, is in a position where it will have to make a choice on whether it will support one fighter over the other or neither.

The network has been mum on its plans for March 13, although Arum and Schaefer both told ESPN.com that they have spoken to the network about their fights. Arumis also prepared to put on his event as a Top Rank-produced pay-per-view.

It would be highly unusual for there to be pay-per-view cards on the same night featuring major stars in separate bouts, but that is exactly what could happen.

"It is unusual, but what can I do," Schaefer said. "It wasn't Floyd who walked away from the Pacquiao fight. There is nothing I can reallysay about it. I've had the date [March 13] for a long time. Initially it was for the Bernard Hopkins-Roy Jones fight [which won't come off becauseJones was knocked out in a Dec. 2 interim bout]. You know what? It is what it is. I'm not getting excited about it anymore. I am sitting outside having acigar and [expletive]. It is what it is.

"It's not good. Its not good for Pacquiao to go on that date, which we had for a long time. We had that date, end of story. So it's not good. Howcan it be good? It's not good for boxing. It's not good for boxing that Pacquiao and Mayweather are not fighting each other. I worked really hard tomake that happen and it's not. And I am not belittling Pacquiao's fight with Clottey. It's OK. Hey, we have a piece of [the promotional contractof] Pacquiao. But is it ideal? No it's not. Is it the end of boxing? Is the world collapsing? No it is not. We all have to look to March 14. March 13 willpass and on March 14 boxing will still be there and there will be exciting fights, and nothing will change that."

Schaefer said he was unsure what HBO planned to do, but he hoped it would support Mayweather's bout.

"Nobody wants competing fights. HBO doesn't want it," he said. "Nobody in their clear mind can be happy about Mayweather fighting somebodyelse or Pacquiao fighting somebody else. But we all have to live with it and accept. I'm a boxing fan too and I am pissed off about what happened. Anyonewho says anything different is lying. I wish there had been something I could do about it, so I am very frustrated and disappointed, but Floyd Mayweather willstill fight."

If Mayweather wins his March bout, Schaefer said he could next meet Shane Mosley, the welterweight champion (and Golden Boy partner) who first faces AndreBerto in a Jan. 30 unification fight. Before taking the fight with Berto, Mosley spent months trying to land a bout with either Mayweather or Pacquiao.

Floyd can't seriously fight that pillow puncher. Most boring fight ever.

Can't wait for Shane/Berto. Re-watched Shane's fight with Margo and I forgot just how dominant he was. Damn shame he couldn't get a fight for ayear. He'll be looking to make a big time statement with this fight. SHould be great.

Anyone else think that Mosley and Berto will throw technique out the window and just slug it out? I'm imagining a somewhat welterweight version ofBarrera/Marquez

Good that JT gonna at least take some time off... He's the reason i use the double jab alot when i spar after seeing him do that against B-Hop

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

Anyone else think that Mosley and Berto will throw technique out the window and just slug it out? I'm imagining a somewhat welterweight version of Barrera/Marquez

Good that JT gonna at least take some time off... He's the reason i use the double jab alot when i spar after seeing him do that against B-Hop

that would be
eek.gif
, i dont think shane wants that tho , berto got too much speed . as cheap as it is berto better hold all day lol.......i need the $$

$%$ am i the last one to here about cotto's father passing? he should take some time off the ring forsure

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

So everyone likes Pacquiao over Clottey???

nerd.gif

I'm not a Pacquiao hater, but I don't see Manny winning that fight easily. Clottey is one of the bigger and stronger welters, and with that shell hepus up I don't think Manny's going to wear him down the way he did to Cotto. Besides the knockdowns, Cotto was doing very well the first 4 rds, andthen he faded because he took too many punches. Clottey won't leave himself open as much, and I think that fight will be competitive. Not paying for it ifit's on ppv though, just out of prinicple for the bickering btwn golden boy and top rank...

Also as a side note, I think this fight might ruin the chances of a mayweather/pac fight during the summer because Clottey is known to headbutt, and he mighttake some damage during the fight

floyd's possible fights for march 13
paul williams
kermit cintron
paulie Malignaggi
timothy Bradley
nate campbell

what u guys trynna see?

Andre Ward vs. Allan Green ?!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
That's the fight I BEEN wanting to see.

LOL @ Timmy stepping up to Welter to challenge PBF. PBF has to fight Pac. He'd be wasting his time fight those Jr. Welters or Cintron.

I missed it so would anyone care to reiterate what Teddy Atlas was saying about Pac-Man? The link Pro posted up wouldnt work for me. Are there any other links?

I think someone posted it up in the Pac/Steroids thread. Can't get into vids at work so if no one posts it up, I'll find it when I get home.

I doubt Berto will want to slug it out w/Shane. He's gonna stick outside and try and outbox him and use his better speed to win the fight. It all dependson what kinda shape he's in, I haven't seen any recent pictures of him.

Green and Bika are supposed to fight soon to determine who's the first alternate to the Super Six, Green has done nothing of note lately to deserve beingautomatically slotted in JT's place.

Wasted talent, if you ask me BUT Green is a "name" at 168...so it works, I guess. Bika hasn't done much since the Contender, either.

From a business standpoint, Floyd would be smart to fight Punisher. There's no way in hell Pac-Man/Clottey does more buys than Floyd/Pun....but there'sno way that fight happens.

From what I read, Campbell is getting the fight....considering dude has never weighed more than 138, it's not exactly a fight I wanna see. GBP should puton the better undercard, though.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I missed it so would anyone care to reiterate what Teddy Atlas was saying about Pac-Man? The link Pro posted up wouldnt work for me. Are there any other links?

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Wasted talent, if you ask me BUT Green is a "name" at 168...so it works, I guess. Bika hasn't done much since the Contender, either.

I don't know, I think Bika has done more making a name for himself in the division lately. Been knocking dudes out like it's his business. Greenreminds me of Dirrell, backing up a lot and dancing around a lot. I mean they fight the 5th so we'll see then.
Miguel Cotto typically fights in New York in June - right around the same time as the Puerto Rican Day Festival and this year is no different. Having just lost his WBO welterweight title to Manny Pacquiao in November, Cotto (34-2, 27 KOs) is eager to get back in the ring and Top Rank may already have a foe lined up in newly crowned WBA junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman.

Foreman (28-0, 8 KOs) defeated Daniel Santos on the Pacquiao-Cotto undercard, becoming the first world champion from Israel.

With both fighters being promoted by Top Rank and Cotto's interest in moving up to 154-pounds, this fight seems like a no-brainer especially considering that Foreman also has a solid fanbase in New York. Additionally, both fighters will be attending the Latin Fury 13 card on January 23 at Madison Square Garden and according to Top Rank's own Facebook page, we can expect to see them in the ring against one another sometime this year.
WBC Champion releases statement concerning his family and the earthquake.

As Andre Berto prepares in Winter Haven, Florida for the biggest fight of his career - his January 30th welterweight title showdown with "Sugar" Shane Mosley at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, NV on HBO Championship Boxing a much bigger fight looms on his mind - the fight to survive taking place in Haiti. The small island nation which makes up Hispanola (with the Dominican Republic) suffered a massive 7.0 earthquake on Tuesday. Berto released the following statement following the tragic disaster:

"I'm devastated by everything currently happening in Haiti. As everybody knows, I have a lot of family members in Haiti and proudly represented Haiti in the 2004 Olympic Games. Like many other Haitian-Americans, my family and I are working to reach my loved ones. From what we have learned to this point, some of my family members are still missing and we have already been informed that members of my family have passed away in the earthquake. We are currently working on starting our own Haitian relief efforts, and I will be releasing additional information on how everyone can help very soon. I am asking everyone for their continued thoughts and prayers for the people in Haiti during this devastating time."

Obviously it is a small gesture and not nearly fitting but myself and the entire 411mania family send our condolences, thoughts and prayers to Berto his family and the entire nation of Haiti.

Back
Top Bottom