2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Yeah that Catch Weight !#*! is wack...
For all that, he should just fight at 147....

Oh wait, that means he won't be able to win a title in a 8th different weight class!

!#*! is nonsense...he shouldn't even get a belt for this...

With trainer Rosendo Alvarez acting as a mediator, former champin Ricardo Mayorga and promoter Don King smoked a peace pipe over the weekend in Florida. And that reconciliation is happened because King apparently negotiated a very good contract for Mayorga "to confront the German Felix Sturm" on the 4th of September in Cologne, Germany, for the middleweight title of the World Boxing Association (WBA). 

"I am happy with this fight and the  negotiating that we did with Mr. King", Mayorga told BoxingScene.com/Notifight.com by telephone.  "I know I said many bad things about him to few days ago, but  I want to publicly apologize for what I said and look forward to working with him to win a new title."

According to Rosendo

Im upset this year.
pimp.gif
  Pacquiao/Margarito
smh.gif

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is not interested in a fall bout with unbeaten WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto, according to a source within Cotto's camp.

Berto's promoter, Lou DiBella, was hoping to match his fighter against Cotto in the fall. Cotto has other plans, like landing a rematch against the winner of Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, which is scheduled for November 13. Top Rank CEO Bob Arum selected Margarito as the opponent for Pacquiao. Cotto was the other frontrunner to land the November fight. Until Pacquiao approves the proposal to face Margarito, Cotto will stand back and wait for a possible opportunity to snatch the fight if the Margarito proposal is rejected.

As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, sources close to the situation have named unbeaten Vanes Martirosyan (28-0, 17KOs) as being a serious consideration for Cotto's first defense of his 154-pound title. Arum wants to bring Cotto back in the winter.

grin.gif
come on son...

Originally Posted by Proshares

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is not interested in a fall bout with unbeaten WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto, according to a source within Cotto's camp.

Berto's promoter, Lou DiBella, was hoping to match his fighter against Cotto in the fall. Cotto has other plans, like landing a rematch against the winner of Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, which is scheduled for November 13. Top Rank CEO Bob Arum selected Margarito as the opponent for Pacquiao. Cotto was the other frontrunner to land the November fight. Until Pacquiao approves the proposal to face Margarito, Cotto will stand back and wait for a possible opportunity to snatch the fight if the Margarito proposal is rejected.

As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, sources close to the situation have named unbeaten Vanes Martirosyan (28-0, 17KOs) as being a serious consideration for Cotto's first defense of his 154-pound title. Arum wants to bring Cotto back in the winter.
grin.gif
come on son...
%@**%#% $@+@...
It seems like Cotto has his heart out on the big money a Pacquiao rematch would bring...he doesnt want to risk that with a fight he could lose, I guess...

I %@**%#% hate boxing

As pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao moves on to a probable Nov. 13 fight against Antonio Margarito -- now that Floyd Mayweather has said he is not interested in making boxing's biggest fight, at least this year -- there is still some unfinished business from the messiness of last week's cliffhanger: Were the Pacquiao and Mayweather camps negotiating the fight or not?

Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, insists they were, using HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg as an intermediary.

The Mayweather camp said that is not true and that there were never any negotiations.

The man in the middle of the storm, Greenburg, remained silent even when pressed repeatedly to offer his version of events.

On Monday night, Greenburg finally did.

He took the Arum/Pacquiao side.

"Fights like Mayweather vs. Pacquiao are significant because of these fighters' ability to connect with sports fans around the world. It's unfortunate that it won't happen in 2010," Greenburg said in a statement. "I had been negotiating with a representative from each side since May 2nd, carefully trying to put the fight together. Hopefully, someday this fight will happen. Sports fans deserve it."

The date Greenburg mentioned was the day after Mayweather's resounding decision win against Shane Mosley.

Arum had said over and over during the past two weeks, beginning on a 3 a.m. ET July 17 conference call to announce that the exclusive window to negotiate with Mayweather had closed, that he was negotiating the fight with Al Haymon, Mayweather's adviser, with Greenburg as the go-between.

Arum said he would discuss deal points with Greenburg, who would then take them to Haymon and vice versa.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's other adviser and the public voice because Haymon refuses to speak to the press, said a few days after Arum outlined how the talks went that there had never been any negotiations.

He released a statement a few days after Arum's teleconference that said, "Here are the facts. Al Haymon, (Golden Boy Promotions CEO) Richard Schaefer and myself speak to each other on a regular basis, and the truth is no negotiations have ever taken place, nor was there ever a deal agreed upon by Team Mayweather or Floyd Mayweather to fight Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 13. Either Ross Greenburg or Bob Arum is not telling the truth, but history tells us who is lying."

Ellerbe was clearly taking a shot at Arum, whose history of playing fast and loose with the truth is legendary in boxing circles.

Schaefer, who has promoted Mayweather's past several fights, also denied the negotiations and said he stood behind Ellerbe's statement.

Arum was pleased that Greenburg supported his version of events and cut him slack for taking a week to say so publicly.

"He works for a major public company and he has to clear this sort of thing with his bosses," Arum told ESPN.com. "I understand that he had to get his statement cleared."

Arum was not so kind to Schaefer.

"The one you should all be taking to task is Schaefer for lying to the press," Arum said. "You don't do that. You can say 'no comment' or say nothing. Richard Schaefer owes an apology to the press, not to me, because I've written him off a long time ago. But now anything he says will be suspect. I don't feel vindicated by Ross' statement because that's what happened. I knew what happened because I know I lived through the negotiations. I knew what I said about them was absolutely truthful so I didn't give a damn who believed me. No skin off my back.

"Indeed, when I made the statement about the negotiations on the conference call, I wasn't looking for controversy. I was kind to Mayweather. But Mayweather is the boss on his side and when he says, 'jump,' you're supposed to ask, 'how high.' That's why none of them have any credibility. Schaefer and Haymon and Ellerbe, they cling to the Mayweather boat because that's the source of their riches. So the fact is that Ellerbe, who is not a bad guy, will do anything that Floyd asks, but Floyd is not quite a rational person. For Schaefer to be part of this drinking the Kool Aid is really pathetic. It's really sad. Doesn't he have any pride?"

Ellerbe was surprised to hear what Greenburg said, but told ESPN.com, "I stand behind my statement 100 percent. Obviously, the term negotiation needs to be defined to those parties who are making these comments. Calling to inquire about what Floyd is thinking about doing is not a negotiation. There was never any negotiation. I respect Ross but I am 100 percent sure there were no negotiations."

Schaefer, in Las Vegas promoting Saturday night's Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz lightweight championship fight on HBO PPV, once again backed Ellerbe.

"I think it's unfortunate that Ross made that statement," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I fully stand behind the statement I made. I have not negotiated with Ross and I am not aware of any negotiations that have taken place.

"If Ross or Arum wants to go through a lie detector test, we can arrange that. I can only tell you I have regular contact with Al and Leonard and there were no negotiations going on. I don't know exactly what Ross is referring to or what he is talking about. But I have been very consistent. There were none going on. Arum should just get a life and stop attacking me on a nonstop basis. This is really childish."

Arum is now focused on finalizing the Pacquiao-Margarito fight, which if completed, will take place at a maximum weight of 150 pounds for the WBC's vacant junior middleweight title. If Pacquiao wins, he would extend his record of winning world titles to an eighth weight class. Pacquiao has won titles from flyweight to welterweight.

Arum said although he has deals in principle with Pacquiao and Margarito, there is no site yet, mainly because Margarito is not licensed in the United States following the hand-wrapping scandal that engulfed him before his fight with Shane Mosley in January 2009. Before the fight, illegal pads coated in a plaster-like substance were found in Margarito's hand wraps. His hands were re-wrapped and Mosley wound up knocking out Margarito, who later had his license revoked by the California State Athletic Commission. Javier Capetillo, Margarito's former trainer and the man who wrapped his hands, also had his license revoked.

With the revocation period up earlier this year, Margarito returned to win a fight in Mexico and recently applied for a license in Nevada, where Arum hopes to stage the fight. However, Nevada officials declined to rule on his application, directing him to first go back to California, which has yet to listen to his appeal.

"Frankly, my desire is to keep the fight in the United States," said Arum, who said there is interest from Abu Dhabi and Monterrey, Mexico, in hosting the fight. "Manny would like to fight in Mexico to save on the taxes. He saves 30 percent. But we have a number of states we are talking to that will listen to Margarito."

Arum said he and Margarito's attorney are hoping that Nevada will reconsider his application and give him a one-fight license to face Pacquiao in an HBO PPV fight that would be a boon economically to a struggling city.

"There's a lot of pressure on me to get it done in Las Vegas from everyone in town," Arum said. "The fight is important to the city. But I want it known that if it is not in Las Vegas, it's not because of Bob Arum. I live there and I feel the town needs this. It's not because of me if the fight is caused to go elsewhere."

Daniel Jacobs will fight for the WBO middleweight title on Saturday night despite the recent death of his grandmother.

Cordelia Jacobs died last weekend, but her undefeated grandson told The Associated Press on Monday he will still fight Dmitry Pirog for the vacant belt on the undercard of Juan Manuel Marquez's rematch with Juan Diaz at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

"I know she wants me to pursue my dream," Jacobs said of his first world title shot. "She would want me to do what I have to do to win, so I'm really focused."

The Brooklyn boxer was exceptionally close to his grandmother, known as Lady Bird. She raised Jacobs along with his mother, Yvette -- but as a devout member of the Jehovah's Witness church, Cordelia Jacobs never saw her grandson fight.

The 23-year-old Jacobs (20-0, 17 KOs) is from the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, which produced Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe and Shannon Briggs.

He has been a rising star at 160 pounds since he failed to make the U.S. national team for the Beijing Olympics despite a stellar amateur record and four New York Golden Gloves titles. Jacobs was upset by Shawn Estrada in the trials for a spot on the least successful boxing team in U.S. Olympic history.

As a pro, Jacobs has eclipsed every member of that Olympic team with guidance from Golden Boy Promotions and adviser Al Haymon -- the same team behind Floyd Mayweather Jr., among other fighters. Jacobs won 12 fights in 2008 and five more in 2009, including a victory on eight days' rest on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao's victory over Ricky Hatton.

He has earned two early-round stoppages this year to set up his first fight for a major title against Pirog, an undefeated Russian boxer making his U.S. debut.

Pirog fights in a North American style that appeals to Jacobs, but the fighters are fairly unfamiliar with each other. During a workout in Los Angeles on Monday, Pirog said he has studied film on Jacobs to formulate a game plan.

"I wouldn't say he has been tested more than me," Pirog said. "We've both had a couple of big fights, and we've both had good amateur careers. He's an interesting opponent, and it should be a good matchup."

BoxingScene.com was advised by several sources, that WBC featherweight champion Elio Rojas injured his shoulder in training camp and is unlikely to move forward with his HBO televised unification clash with WBA champion Yuriorkis Gamboa. The fight is set for September 11 in Las Vegas.

The injury is yet another chapter in a string of bad luck for that particular card. Gamboa was originally scheduled to fight IBF champion Orlando Salido in July. Salido suffered a cut in his May win over Cristobal Cruz, and the injury did not heal in time to hold a proper training camp for the July date. A deal was later reached with promoter Don King for Rojas to step in but the fight was moved to a September date.

BoxingScene.com was informed by promoter Lou DiBella that Celestino Caballero is "ready, willing and able" to replace the injured Elio Rojas on September 11 in Las Vegas.

Rojas, the WBC featherweight champion, was scheduled to fight WBA champion Yuriorkis Gamboa in an HBO televised unification bout. BoxingScene was informed by several reliable sources on Monday that Rojas suffered a shoulder injury in training camp and was likely out of the fight. Rojas is scheduled to have an MRI on Tuesday.

"Caballero is ready and willing to stop Gamboa's unbeaten streak. Caballero will fight anyone. Gamboa can't say he's the best featherweight in boxing if he won't fight Caballero," DiBella said.

BoxingScene.com was advised by manager/trainer Kevin Cunningham that IBF/WBC junior welterweight champion Devon Alexander would have no problem moving up to the welterweight division to fight WBC champion Andre Berto. The Berto fight would only be considered if a deal fell through for a unification with WBO champion Timothy Bradley. HBO is pushing to stage a Bradley-Alexander unification on January 29. Alexander has a fight scheduled for August 7 against former champion Andrey Kotelnik.

"Devon would fight Berto. We would move to 147 to fight Andre Berto. But, we want to get Timothy Bradley first," Cunningham told BoxingScene.com.

Cunningham is still steaming over Bradley's recent challenge to WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao.

"What has Tim Bradley ever done to deserve a fight with Manny Pacquiao? What did he do? Beat [Carlos] Abregu? What has Abregu ever done? Name one thing that Abregu ever did. Devon and Bradley are the two best fighters at 140, but Bradley doesn't want to fight the other best fighter at 140. Did you see that [televised] piece on HBO with Bradley Sr.? He was on there saying 'I smell p*ssy, I smell p*ssy.' Well the p*ssy he smelled was sitting right next to him, his son," Cunningham said.

[h1]W. Klitschko, Peter agree to fight terms[/h1]

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and former titleholder Samuel Peter will meet in a rematch on Sept. 11 in Frankfurt, Germany, their representatives told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"The Sam Peter thing has been agreed to," Top Rank's Bob Arum, Peter's promoter, said. "They're coming into the [Las Vegas] office to sign [on Thursday]. It was a relatively easy negotiation."

[h4]Rafael's Boxing Blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

Bernd Boente, Klitschko's manager, told ESPN.com in an email, "We found an agreement which is not signed yet, but hopefully [Thursday] so that we can send out a press release."

Boente said they were planning a Monday news conference to formally announce the fight, which will take place at the 55,000-seat Commerzbank Arena.

Peter emerged as the likely candidate to land the fight last week after Alexander Povetkin, one of Klitschko's mandatory challengers for more than two years, withdrew. Peter was next in line in the IBF's rankings.

Povetkin had been scheduled for the fight after K2 Promotions, Klitschko's company, won a purse bid for $8.313 million. However, there has been an ongoing power struggle between Povetkin's promoter, Sauerland Event, and his trainer, Teddy Atlas, who did not want Povetkin to take the fight, felling that he was not ready. Povetkin listened to Atlas, who is also ESPN2's ringside commentator on "Friday Night Fights," and pulled out of the fight.

Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs) and Peter (34-3, 27 KOs) first met in a 2005 title elimination bout at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Peter scored three knockdowns, but lost each round that he did not drop Klitschko and lost a decision.

Seven months later, Klitschko knocked out Chris Byrd in the seventh round to win a title and has made eight defenses while picking up other belts along the way.

"Peter came close last time. This time he has the experience that if he gets Klitschko in trouble again, he can finish him," Arum said. "If Peter happened to upset Klitschko that would really start a lot of talk in the heavyweight division."

Said Boente, "This is a very interesting fight especially with the history of the first one in 2005. By the way, we have already sold 15,000 tickets in the Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt without an opponent."

Arum would not divulge terms of the deal, but the financial package for Top Rank and Peter is certainly less than the slightly more than $2 million Povetkin was due under the terms of the purse bid. Arum said they agreed to give Klitschko a rematch clause in the event he loses.

Besides an opportunity to avenge his loss to Klitschko, Peter can also make up for a poor performance against his older brother, Vitali Klitschko, who stopped Peter in the eighth round and relieved him of his title in Germany in 2008.

"We're going [Thursday] morning to sign. We're good to go," said Ivaylo Gotzev, Peter's manager. "My prediction has always been the same if we got a rematch. This time we're going to finish the job and not leave it to the judges' scorecard. We are going into the lion's den to take him out."

[h1]Salido to fight Gamboa with Rojas out[/h1]

Featherweight titlist Elio Rojas has formally withdrawn from his Sept. 11 unification match against Yuriorkis Gamboa because of hand and shoulder problems, manager Tony Tineo told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

With Rojas out, Gamboa will instead face Orlando Salido, who also holds one of the 126-pound world titles, at The Palms resort in Las Vegas in the HBO "Boxing After Dark" main event, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said.

Rojas, training for the first time with Kevin Cunningham, was having problems with his right hand and left shoulder last week. He broke his Las Vegas camp to return to New York to see his doctor this week and hoped to go through with the bout.

"The doctor recommended that he be out for two months, so the fight is off," Tineo said. "Elio is very disappointed because he wanted to fight Gamboa and prove to the world that he is the best featherweight. He is very, very disappointed. He told me yesterday, 'Oh, Tony, I have all my plans on how I'm going to beat Gamboa and then it all goes down.' I told him, 'We can fight him in the future.' "

Tineo said Rojas (22-1, 13 KOs) hurt the shoulder hitting the heavy bag and was going to have an MRI on it later this week. The right hand, Tineo said, has a bone chip and would require surgery. He said Rojas' hand injury happened during his February decision win in a title defense against former titleholder Guty Espadas.

"The hand was injured in that fight and that is why he didn't knock Espadas out," Tineo said. "Now it's still giving him problems. Elio wants to fight, but as the manager, I spoke with the doctor and we made the decision. We decided no fight because the arm and hand were bothering him too much. We have to follow the doctor's instructions. This is his future. I can't send him into a fight with damage. I can't let him fight with an injury."

That leaves Gamboa (18-0, 15 KOs), the flashy Cuban defector, to go back to facing Mexico's Salido (34-10-2, 22 KOs). They had been scheduled to unify their titles on HBO on July 24, but Salido suffered a cut in his split-decision, title-winning effort against Cristobal Cruz on May 15. The cut had not healed enough to allow him to train properly for a July 24 fight.

When HBO moved Gamboa to September, it asked Top Rank to make another run at Rojas, the network's preferred opponent all along.

"We had Salido and wanted to make that fight. HBO wanted Rojas," Arum said. "So they went to [Rojas' promoter] Don King and they got Rojas done. And then Rojas got hurt and he can't fight and now we've gone back to Salido and HBO has OK'd Salido. Salido is a big puncher and it probably will be a more exciting fight than Rojas anyway because Rojas is more of a boxer. The fight with Gamboa should be a really good fight between two big punchers."

By taking the fight with Gamboa, Salido will scrap a planned Sept. 15 defense in Mexico, Arum said.

Arum said HBO asked Top Rank to reconsider trying to make a deal for Gamboa to face Celestino Caballero, the former unified junior featherweight titlist who moved up in weight and made his HBO debut with a tremendous performance against Daud Yordan in April.

"We said, 'Listen, it's only about a month until the fight and the big guy [Caballero] towers over everybody,' " Arum said. "You have to get the right sparring partners. It's not fair to do that to Gamboa on short notice. But what I told HBO is that we have no problem fighting the guy next as long as the money is right. I even told them we'll do a nice Caballero fight on one of our pay-per-view undercards as long as it doesn't cost me a lot of money and we can set up the fight next."

The Sept. 11 co-feature is a lightweight title eliminator between Anthony Peterson (30-0, 20 KOs), of Washington, D.C., and Brandon Rios (24-0-1, 18 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., both of whom are promoted by Top Rank. The winner is supposed to become the mandatory challenger for titlist Miguel Acosta, another Top Rank fighter.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Originally Posted by Dapper D

grin.gif
come on son...
%@**%#% $@+@...
It seems like Cotto has his heart out on the big money a Pacquiao rematch would bring...he doesnt want to risk that with a fight he could lose, I guess...

I %@**%#% hate boxing

...until he found out about the catch weight Pacquiao's imposing on Margarito.

I am hyped as hell for this weekend.  Two of my favorite fighters in Linares and Guerrero fighting
pimp.gif

LAS VEGAS -- Juan Diaz began his career by winning his first 33 fights and unifying three lightweight titles. Big stuff for a kid who wasn't even 25. He was making good money and climbing the pound-for-pound list after a string of impressive title defenses and exciting fights.

That was then. This is now.

Diaz still makes exciting fights, but some view him as close to washed up at age 26. He no longer has his belts and he is 2-3 in his past five fights. Take away a highly controversial win by decision against Paulie Malignaggi in their first fight last summer and Diaz's record very well could be 1-4 in his past five.

[h4]Heavy Hitting Boxing Podcast[/h4]
Kieran Mulvaney is excited for this Saturday's pay-per-view card from Las Vegas, which boasts exciting matchups from top to bottom.

More Podcasts »

So Diaz is facing the cold reality that he badly needs a win to remain a main event player in big fights.

That is what the "Baby Bull" faces against lightweight world champion Juan Manuel Marquez in a rematch of the 2009 fight of the year on Saturday night (9 ET, HBO PPV, $49.95) at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

"This is going to be a great fight," Marquez said. "It will definitely live up to the 'fight of the year' hype. I know Diaz is working hard and is going to do everything he can to avenge the knockout and regain the lightweight title. He has a lot to prove and I am going to do everything I can to defend my title."

Indeed, Diaz understands the importance of the fight, but he doesn't appear to be putting a lot of pressure on himself.

"I see this as a win-win situation for me, because this fight is going to prove to me whether I have it or I don't," Diaz said. "This fight right here is what's going to take me to the top and make me the superstar that I've been wanting to be in the lightweight division. But if it doesn't happen then that means it's not meant to be and I'll move on to bigger and better things, which could be start from the bottom and pick up the pieces to rebuild myself up or just completely do a 180 and just go in the opposite direction."

That direction could be to move on from boxing. Diaz, a recent college graduate, is studying for his law school entrance exam and plans to become a lawyer. He has always made his studies a priority and done well balancing them with boxing. Win or lose, Diaz, who also owns a construction business with younger brother Jose, has plans for the future that don't necessarily include boxing.

"This fight here, a lot of people have been mentioning to me that it's a do-or-die fight," Diaz said. "Well, I don't think it is a do-or-die fight. I think it's a win-win situation because either I become a world champion once again and become a superstar or it opens up doors for me to do other things and focus on other aspects of my life.

"I'm not going to close any doors, because I'm still a young fighter. If my plan is to continue fighting after this fight then that's exactly what I'm going to do. If it's not the best decision when I sit down and talk to my family and my managers and my promoter, if that's not the best thing to do then I'm not going to be stubborn. I'm smart enough. I have a college degree. I'm smart enough to know that I'm not going to be chasing a dream that's not going to come true again. I know when it's time to go and I know when it's time to stop."

Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) was in his hometown of Houston when he and Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KOs) fought an epic battle in February 2009. Diaz sprinted to an early lead, but a nasty cut over his eye, carelessness on defense and veteran champion Marquez making adjustments led to a ninth-round knockout loss in a thrilling action fight.

It was named fight of the year by ESPN.com, Ring magazine and the Boxing Writers Association of America, and although both men moved on to other business -- Diaz splitting two fights at junior welterweight with Malignaggi and Marquez getting routed at welterweight by Floyd Mayweather Jr. -- it was such a great fight that Golden Boy put together the rematch back at their more effective weight.

"I'm 10 times more comfortable at 135 because at 140, the last fight we fought [against Malignaggi in December] I came in weighing 139 and then the night of the fight I stepped on the scales -- and that was with my shoes and my pants on -- and I was weighing 143. So that goes to show you that I don't gain too much weight. … I'm a pretty solid 135. At 140, I'm not that solid."

Marquez also feels more comfortable at lightweight. The move to welterweight as the hand-picked opponent for Mayweather in September was a business decision -- he was guaranteed his biggest payday, a $3.2 million purse plus a piece of the pay-per-view.

"At 147, I felt very heavy," said Marquez, 36. "Welterweight was just too much weight for me. I know that now.

"I am not worried about the drop in weight. I am feeling great. I feel stronger and faster. I definitely think this is my ideal weight."

Although Marquez won the first fight with Diaz by spectacular knockout, connecting with a brutal uppercut to end matters, he said he's not over confident.

"I'm not thinking of any way I can be different or do anything differently," he said. "I'm coming with everything. I'm not going to be overconfident because I've beaten him, because I've knocked him out. I'm going in just like as [if] it was the first fight,100 percent ready to take care of business.

"The first fight is in the past. Diaz could completely change his style for this fight."

Diaz making a drastic change is unlikely, but he said he wants to be more relaxed. In the first fight, he said the cheering throng of more than 14,000 in his hometown really pumped him up.

"This time I am going to be more relaxed," Diaz said. "I have already done this on a big world stage, so I know what it feels like. I am concentrating on what I am going to do in the fight. I need to outsmart him. I can't fight recklessly. I need to focus on what punches I throw.

"The first fight was my fight to win, and I didn't. When you leave something undone, it's a terrible feeling. I want nothing more than to be world champion again and I know what I need to do to get there."

[h4]Casamayor's last stand[/h4]

box_fw_casamayor_b1_576.jpg
Chris Cozzone/Fightwireimages.com He might be 39, but that doesn't mean Joel Casamayor, left, is riding into the sunset quietly.

Joel Casamayor, the former lightweight and junior lightweight champion, is 39 and has fought just once since he lost the lineal lightweight title to Marquez via spectacular 11th-round knockout in September 2008. In his only bout since, Casamayor was career-heavy 146 pounds and had some struggles against journeyman Jason Davis in November.

But now Casamayor (37-4-1, 22 KOs) is back against a high-level opponent, former two-division titlist and fellow southpaw Robert Guerrero (26-1-1, 18 KOs), 28, to prove he's not done just yet when they meet in a junior welterweight bout on Saturday night's Marquez-Diaz II undercard.

Although Casamayor will only make $50,000, big chunks of which will go toward satisfying an IRS issue and court-ordered child support, he views the fight as an opportunity to put himself in position for a much bigger fight.

"You know Robert Guerrero is one of the best up and coming fighters in the world and it's a great opportunity to bring him to my den," Casamayor said. "If I beat Guerrero, I'm in line for anybody and I could fight any fight I would want. I've been pushing Golden Boy and my manager, Luis DeCubas [Jr.]., because I want a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez. I think by beating Robert Guerrero, I'll be in line for Juan Manuel Marquez or [junior welterweight titlist] Amir Khan or whoever it is, but that's the fight I'm hoping for and it's the reason I took this fight."

Casamayor, a 1992 Olympic gold medalist for Cuba, said although he would prefer to fight in the junior welterweight division, he would make lightweight if it was for a big fight.

"I'm at 140 pounds right now, but, as I said, if the opportunity opens itself at 135 pounds I could still probably make the weight," Casamayor said. "Whatever it takes to get Marquez back in the ring. Marquez is a great Mexican warrior. A lot of people have been asking for that rematch. It was a very, very close fight. I thought the fight was stopped unjustly, but I mean that's boxing. Basically, wherever [Golden Boy's] Richard [Schaefer] tells me there's a great opportunity at '35 or '40, whichever it is, I'm there."

[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]

box_g_margarito_65.jpg
Margarito

• Another potential American site has emerged as a possible host for the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito fight that Top Rank is planning for Nov. 13: Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Top Rank hopes that Margarito, who remains unlicensed in the United States after last year's hand wrap scandal and his subsequent license revocation in California, will obtain a provisional one-fight license in Nevada so they can have the fight in Las Vegas. But even if he doesn't, Top Rank's Bob Arum is confident he'll be licensed elsewhere. Any state can license Margarito since he served his revocation period. Arum said Atlantic City was a possibility and Ken Condon, the longtime casino executive who books fights at Boardwalk Hall, told ESPN.com he was having "very, very preliminary discussions" with Top Rank's Carl Moretti. "We have a whole list of states ready to license him," Arum said. "We filed for a license in California [on Wednesday] and that makes everybody happy even if they don't give it to us. That's California's call, but there is no legal impediment from anyone else licensing him." Margarito's application in Nevada was tabled recently when the commission told him they wouldn't vote on it until he applied in California. "I'm now in the enviable position of having choices for this fight," said Arum, who also has an offer from Abu Dhabi. "I got strong armed into giving them an extension until Aug. 2 to come up with the money," Arum said. "It's a lot of money. I'm embarrassed by how much it is, but if it's real, I'm ready to ride there on my camel."

box_bika_cross_65.jpg
Bika

• Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer announced that Saturday's super middleweight title eliminator between Sakio Bika (28-3-2, 19 KOs)) and Jean Paul Mendy (28-0-1, 16 KOs), which is on the Marquez-Diaz II undercard, will be available on satellite services and many cable systems as part of a one-hour free preview (8 ET) before the HBO PPV telecast begins. "Fight fans from around the world are going to have an opportunity to see that great fight, that great battle, as well," Schaefer said. The winner becomes the mandatory challenger for the winner of the Oct. 15 fight between titlist Lucian Bute and Jesse Brinkley.

box_perez1x_65.jpg
Perez

• Bantamweight titlist Yonnhy Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs) has signed a managerial contract with Frank Espinoza. Espinoza saw Perez up close in his last fight when retained his title via majority draw in grueling May defense against Abner Mares, another of Espinoza's fighters. "Yonnhy has demonstrated world class abilities and heart," he said. "He's a true warrior in every sense of the word. The future is only going to get better and brighter for Yonnhy." Perez, 31, is due to for a mandatory rematch with Joseph Agbeko, from whom he won the title by decision in a thrilling battle in October. A purse bid is scheduled for Friday, although there has been talk of Perez seeking an exception to face Mexican star Jorge Arce in the fall.

box_g_morales1_sw_65.jpg
Morales

• Former three-division champ Erik Morales is planning his second fight since ending a 2½-year retirement by outpointing Jose Alfaro in a March welterweight bout. Morales (49-6, 34 KOs) is slated to face Willie Limond (33-2, 8 KOs) of Scotland on Sept. 11 (Integrated Sports PPV) in Mexico City. Limond has won five in a row since Amir Khan stopped him in the eighth round in 2007.

box_fw_latimore1_sw_65.jpg
Latimore

• Junior middleweight contender Deandre Latimore (21-3, 17 KOs), who dropped journeyman Darien Ford three times in the second round for the knockout on Saturday, is seeking a bigger fight. He'd like to fight Alfredo "Perro" Angulo. "They call Alfredo Angulo a beast and say he's the next big deal at 154. I'd love to fight him," Latimore said. "We're both all action aggressive fighters that can't help but make for a good TV fight. The last guy Angulo fought, Jochim Alcine [on HBO on July 17], didn't even want to be in the ring with him. Before that it was against [Joel] Julio, who's really a welterweight, and two guys, [Harry Joe] Yorgey and [Gabe] Rosado, who didn't belong in the same elevator with him let alone the ring. And off these four fights, he's the next monster at 154? Same thing with Miguel Cotto. I'm ready to go right now. He's a great fighter and I know he's looking for a fight in the fall. I'm ready to hit Madison Square Garden, his home turf, and give him the fight of his life. Just like Angulo, we can't help but make a terrific action fight. HBO and Showtime talk about wanting action fights. Well that's what I bring. Whether it's Angulo, Cotto or the younger guys like Vanes Martirosyan or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., I'm ready to go right now." In Latimore's only title fight, he dropped a split decision to Cory Spinks in April 2009.

box_adamek_65.jpg
Adamek

• Main Events formally announced heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek's fight against former title challenger Michael Grant (46-3, 34 KOs) this week. They'll meet Aug. 21 (Integrated Sports PPV, $29.95) at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Adamek's handlers selected Grant because he's 6-foot-7 and Adamek (41-1, 27 KOs) has designs on eventually fighting one of the equally big Klitschko brothers for a title. "I am working with tall sparring partners to get ready for Grant's height," Adamek said. "I am learning more movement everyday. I have a stronger right hand and left hook now. I am quick, much more quick than most heavyweights." Roger Bloodworth, Adamek's trainer, said they are not taking Grant lightly even though he hasn't been a factor in the division for almost a decade, despite winning eighth in a row since 2003 against lesser opponents. "You can be surprised sometimes, because when everyone is saying a fighter is down, that is when he can be most dangerous," Bloodworth said.

box_a_ross_65.jpg
Ross

• Troy Ross, a former winner of "The Contender," is angling for a fight with Danny Green, whom he called a fraud after his controversial 29-second knockout last week of Paul Briggs, who went down without being hit with anything other than a grazing jab. "He (fought) a guy who hadn't fought in nearly three years, who was a light heavyweight that had retired on medical grounds," Ross said. "To add further insult he calls Paul Briggs a dog and humiliates him by hurling insults from inside the ring. I saw YouTube and couldn't believe it. In America he would be lucky to leave the ring alive with a low act like that -- but in this case the commissions would never allow a farce like that to happen here in the first place. Said Jeff Wald, Ross' co-promoter, "The message is loud and clear -- anywhere anytime Danny. Troy is happy to come to your backyard and knock you out in your home country. It's sure to generate plenty of revenue because from what we are hearing over hear, it looks like the Australian public will be happy to pay to see you knocked out."

box_a_tua_65.jpg
Tua

• After David Tua was trounced by challenging then-heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis in 2000, he said that a rib injury in training had hampered him in the lopsided decision loss. Now, Tua's handlers are attributing his poor performance in a draw July 17 with Monte Barrett, who dropped Tua hard for the first knockdown of his career in the 12th round, to a left shoulder injury. Although Tua hasn't spoken about it, promoter Cedric Kushner is using it as excuse for Tua's struggle with Barrett. "I have a letter from David's doctor, whom he went to see in California, where he had planned to spend a couple of weeks before returning home to New Zealand," Kushner said. "The doctor suggested that he take some time off before returning to the ring. David specifically stated he didn't want to take anything away from Monte, who fought the fight of his life, but that he felt entitled to set the record straight as to his injury."

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]

box_g_delahoya_65.jpg
De La Hoya
"Up until now, it's been a very difficult negotiation process for various reasons but right now we're very close. We're very close in finalizing the contracts that were once very complicated. The two fighters now realize that this fight must be made. It has to be made because the boxing fans want to see it happen and right now it's the biggest fight that can be made in the world. It's going to be a big, big fight. I think right now we are very, very close in finalizing the contracts. I can't talk right now in detail about the negotiations but I will say that we are very close." -- Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya, speaking about negotiations for a Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight on June 11 in translated comments from Univision's "Republica Deportiva," which he recanted this week following statements from the Mayweather camp and business partner Richard Schaefer saying negotiations never happened.

Juan Manuel Marquez, left, wants another crack at Manny Pacquiao.
LAS VEGAS -- If Juan Manuel Marquez retains the lightweight title by beating Juan Diaz again in their rematch of the 2009 fight of the year on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay, there's a good chance Marquez will step up to junior welterweight for a Dec. 11 fight with titlist Amir Khan of England.

Khan, who, like Marquez, is promoted by Golden Boy, is in Las Vegas for the fight. While the fight appeals to Marquez because a victory would make him the first Mexican to win a title in four weight classes, Marquez has a bigger dream fight.

He wants a third fight with Manny Pacquiao. They've fought twice and Marquez came away with a draw in their featherweight championship fight and lost a split decision in the rematch for the junior lightweight title. I was ringside for both outstanding fights and scored both for Marquez, as did many ringside observers.

Since then, Pacquiao and promoter Top Rank have never shown any interest in a third bout, but Marquez is hopeful that someday he'll get another shot at the Pacman.

"Manny Pacquiao, that's my desire; I want it so bad," Marquez said. "I want that third fight with him before my career ends. And maybe another one would be to fight Erik Morales or Ricky Hatton, but Manny Pacquiao for sure."

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer is not optimistic that Marquez will ever get the third fight with Pacquiao.

"I pushed for the [third fight] and I was told [by Top Rank], 'well, it's not right, the timing is not right'," Schaefer said. "I can assure you that the timing is never going to be right. I don't think that Pacquiao is ever going to -- or maybe Bob Arum is never going to want to have another piece of Marquez because, even though I'm not a boxing expert, I have learned one thing: styles make fights and somebody might have somebody's number, and Marquez has Pacquiao's number. That's why I think that fight is never going to happen again. But that's OK, because there are so many great fights out there for the winner of Marquez and Diaz."

Linares back in spotlight

The first time Jorge Linares fought in the United States, he stopped Oscar Larios in the 10th round to win a vacant featherweight title. It was a sensational performance on the Bernard Hopkins-Winky Wright undercard at Mandalay Bay in July 2007.

Now Linares, 24, returns to Mandalay Bay to face Rocky Juarez in a lightweight bout on the Marquez-Diaz II undercard. But no longer is Linares the can't-miss future star. Instead, he's a talented young fighter with an uncertain future.

Larios, who eventually claimed a junior lightweight title, lost it in October when Juan Carlos Salgado scored a shocking first-round knockout in one of the biggest upsets of 2009. It was just a few weeks after Linares signed a heavily hyped deal with Golden Boy.

Linares rebounded with a shaky performance in a majority decision win in his native Venezuela against Francisco Lorenzo in March and is returning to a much bigger stage against Juarez.

Linares is confident he'll put the recent difficulties behind him against Juarez.

"You win and lose in this sport. That is part of life," Linares said. "I had some personal issues and they are behind me now. This is not a title fight, but it is a stepping stone to a title shot. All of my training and preparations have been great. I am ready for the fight."

Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya likens Linares' setback to that of Khan, who was knocked out in one round by Breidis Prescott, but rebounded to eventually win a junior welterweight title and become one of the top 140-pounders in the world.

"Linares actually reminds me of what Amir Khan went through," De La Hoya said. "If you recall, Amir Khan got knocked out in one round, and then he came back. People thought he was washed up and then he came back in a spectacular fashion and now is on top of the world. I feel the same way for Linares. Suffering a knockout in your career is not easy, and coming back from it is even harder, but this fight here, it's not going to be an easy one against Rocky Juarez. This is a true, tough test against a real fighter. If Linares is not going to pass this test, if he's not going to win this fight, then we have to re-evaluate his career. We have high hopes for Linares and, obviously, we still have high hopes for Rocky Juarez; that's what makes it so special."

Schaefer said he'll try to get the winner a title shot.

"I do think that the winner, if they decide to stay at lightweight, you have another name there that could fight the winner of Marquez-Diaz, or fight Michael Katsidis," Schaefer said. "If they decide to fight at junior lightweight, we'll have conversations with our friends and partners in Germany [at Universum] who are the promoter of Vitali Tajbert, the WBC champion, so there are definitely opportunities there for whoever might win."

• I talked to Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday and got the list of purses for the main fights on Saturday's card. Here you go: Marquez ($1 million), Diaz ($540,000), Daniel Jacobs ($200,000), Dmitry Pirog ($50,000), Robert Guerrero ($75,000), Joel Casamayor ($50,000), Linares ($30,000), Juarez ($45,000), Sakio Bika ($18,000) and Jean Paul Mendy ($12,000). Keep in mind these are the official purses as per the Nevada bout agreements, but it is common for other revenue to be paid through other streams.

LAS VEGAS -- Prefight news conferences in the Mandalay Bay normally take place in the bowels of the property, in the windowless media room in a corner of the arena.

This time around, Golden Boy brought the final conference for Saturday's Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz rematch into the light, in the airy surroundings of the hotel lobby, opening the proceedings to the eyes of tourists and fans as well as cynical hacks.

Standing near the back, largely out of view, two men watched with particular interest.

Australian lightweight Michael Katsidis looked to be painting himself into a corner as an exciting but limited slugger after back-to-back 2008 defeats to Diaz and Joel Casamayor [Casamayor faces Robert Guerrero on the undercard Saturday]. But since then four straight wins, capped by an impressive third-round stoppage of Kevin Mitchell in England in May, have placed him once more on the verge of title contention.

Katsidis will be the mandatory challenger for the winner of Saturday's main event but wouldn't be drawn on whom he picked.

"Look, I'm sitting on the fence for this fight," he told ESPN.com. "They're both very good fighters. But I'm a much better fighter than I was before, so either one of those guys would be a great fight for me.

"I think there may be a psychological advantage maybe against Juan Diaz, because he has been knocked out. But, having said that, this is his ticket back to the top of the game. So I'm sure he's at the top of his game. He looks very hard at the moment. He looks like he's in great shape for this fight -- better than I've ever seen him before."

A few feet away, junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan clearly had his eyes specifically focused on one of the two main event combatants.

"Yeah, definitely," Khan agreed when it was suggested that the veteran Marquez would be a particularly shining name on his résumé. "That's one of the reasons I came here. I want to see Marquez fight. We offered a fight to Marquez before I fought Paulie Malignaggi [in May] but he refused the deal, refused to fight. But if he wins this fight, I think he'd be a great opponent."

That, of course, assumes that a victorious Marquez would choose not to defend his belt against Katsidis but would instead to elect to move five pounds north, into Khan's weight division, a firmament littered with bright stars such as Devon Alexander, Timothy Bradley, Marcos Maidana, Victor Ortiz, Zab Judah and Guerrero.

It is far and away the deepest, most talented top tier in any weight division, and Khan knows as much.

"Every weight division has its era. It's been the heavyweights and the middleweights, and now it's the junior welters," he said. "You've got so many names in there and so many styles, and all young fighters in their primes. I think it's very exciting. It's the most exciting division. I think everyone knows that the 140-pound division is the best division to be in, and everyone wants to move up or down to be in it. I don't want to leave the division until I unify it. And I know by the time I unify the division, I'll be one of the pound-for-pound best fighters in the world."

According to Khan, he has given Golden Boy a list of names he would like to face.

"I'll fight anyone. I've told them the names I'd like to fight," he said. Pushed gently, two names apart from Marquez elicited particular interest.

"I'd like to fight [Marcos] Maidana to shut people up. With my boxing skills, I know I can beat him. I've got long leverage, long arms; I don't think he can cope with the speed and power. And seeing Timothy Bradley fight, he's made for my style. He's a lot shorter than me. He's never fought anyone as quick as me, anyone as strong as me. I think I'd be the first guy to beat him up and knock him out."

would yall be shocked if Casamayor beat Ghost?

amir khan...

cmon man

I dont think Khan matches up well vs Maidana. but Bradley a lil better but his chin... still scares me. extremely skilled tho.

can someone pleaseeeeeee knock Katsidis out again so I dont have to see him on HBO and be forced to listen to Max Kellerman suck him off for an entire broadcast
smh.gif

Not really. Joel didn't look all that great at 140 but he's had more time to condition and Ghost is fighting above 135 for the first time. I'm hoping for a Ghost win not only as a fan and having met him a few times but for what he's been through with his wife I'd love to see him get some wins on a big stage and show the world how good he is.

I really wanna see Maidana/Khan before Bradley/Khan. I get a slight feeling Bradley might duck Devon. No one mentions his name. Cunningham already called Bradley a @$++%.

I don't think String will take kindly to Katsidis getting knocked out
laugh.gif

BTW, how did you guys score JMM/Pac 1 and 2? Curious to hear, I recently re-watched em and had JMM winning both fights. Originally had it split and over the years I've stuck to Manny winning the 1st and JMM winning the 2nd.

BTW, how did you guys score JMM/Pac 1 and 2? Curious to hear, I recently re-watched em and had JMM winning both fights. Originally had it split and over the years I've stuck to Manny winning the 1st and JMM winning the 2nd.
Watching it live, I had Pac winning by a point in the first bout. Rewatched it and gave it to Marquez.
2nd bout for Marquez definitely.

You got Marquez against Diaz?

I think JMM will KO Diaz alot faster this go round, maybe by the 5th round.

I had Pac Winning the 1st and JMM winning the 2nd. BRadley is Most definitely ducking Devon

laugh.gif
I smell {()}

I am nto a Bradley fan. in fact he reminds me of Juan Diaz.

they talkin about fighting Berto but is he even healthy? torn biceps is no joke.

I dunno it sounds like Diaz isn't 100% focused on the fight. IMO I think the fighter should be saying "I'll win this fight" not "if I lose, I have other options". I mean, I give him a ton of credit for pursuing other options but I'm not a fan of that talk.

I got Marquez in the 8th or 9th again, Jacobs in 5 or 6, Guerrero UD and Linares in 3 hopefully.

Berto better be healthy talking all that %*$$ about Shane then demanding 50/50 HBO spolied the hell out of that kid. He thinks he deserves big paydays now.

Jay you ain't read that article where Cunningham said his father talking about he smell {()} it's probably his son standing next to him
laugh.gif

[h6]courtney jackson (lindenwold, nj)[/h6]

hi dan, is there any deals being done for the next fight for timothy bradley?
[h6]Dan Rafael
  (12:02 PM)
[/h6]

His pronmoter, Gary Shaw, has been talking with Richard Schaefer about a possible Khan fight in December. I doubt it happens though. I would think it's more likely for a Devon Alexander fight in January.
[h6]luis (sealy)[/h6]
if diaz wins who do who think he will fight next,thanks dan
[h6]Dan Rafael
  (12:07 PM)
[/h6]
If Diaz wins, he plans to stay at lightweight and his mandatory would be Katsidis, so I think a rematch would be possible. I could also see the possibility of a fight with Linares if Linares beats Juarez on the undercard. Diaz-Linares would be a very interesting fight.
[h6]Bobby (Louisville)[/h6]
Hey Dan! So, how's Goosen's search for a PWill welterweight opponent going?!
[h6]Dan Rafael
  (12:08 PM)
[/h6]
I think about as well as O.J.'s search for the real killer.
[h6]Malik (Philly)[/h6]
Now that Margarito appears to be the choice for Pac, where does Cotto go for a major fight?
[h6]Dan Rafael
  (12:13 PM)
[/h6]
There are three names out there Top Rank has mentioned -- Chavez Jr, Angulo and Martirosyan. Bring me Angulo any day of the week. Chavez I doubt they would really make and Martirosyan isn't ready nor do I think HBO would buy it.

I can't wait for Devon to dress up Bradley's !+#+@ %**.

What Super Six fights are left this year - Froch/Abraham? Is that it?

Ward/Dirrell and Kessler/Green are on the 25th of September as a double header I think Kessler/Green is on tape delay.

pac won the 1st and JMM the 2nd.

i have the same question as jay about Berto. they keep throwing his name out for fights but im not sure if he can fight

He wanted the Shane fight for late September so I assume he was ready or thought he would be in time for training camp.

I really hope Cotto gets put there in with those names being mentioned. Eat every one of those dudes' lunch and get a nice paycheck. Not ready to give up on him yet. Berto on the other hand.........

Back
Top Bottom