2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez has made up his mind.

Marquez will stay at 135 pounds for a possible fall fight with Michael Katsidis rather than move up to junior welterweight to attempt to become the first Mexican to win titles in four weight classes, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Wednesday after meeting with Marquez in Mexico City.

Schaefer met with Marquez to discuss the options, which included him remaining at lightweight to fight Katsidis (27-2, 22 KOs), the all-action Australian brawler, an interim titlist who is Marquez's mandatory challenger, or moving up to junior welterweight for a possible fight with 140-pound titlist Amir Khan.

Marquez elected to stay at lightweight, where he defended the title with a lopsided decision against Juan Diaz on July 31 in a rematch of Marquez's ninth-round knockout win in the 2009 fight of the year.

"It was clear. He will stay at 135 pounds," Schaefer said.

The decision also could pave the way for Khan, who needs an opponent, to defend his title against Marcos Maidana in December, Schaefer said.

Schaefer said Nacho Beristain, Marquez's trainer and a proponent of him remaining at 135 pounds, was at their meeting.

"So now we are going to try to put together the deal for Marquez and Katsidis. Hell of a fight. Toe to toe. Mano a mano," Schaefer said. "This is a great fight. I'm excited for the fighters and the fans as well. This is going to be non-stop action. Pound for pound, these are two of the most exciting fighters in boxing."

Schaefer said the HBO date he has for the fight is Nov. 27, which is Thanksgiving weekend, not the best on the calendar for a major fight.

"That's what they gave me," Schaefer said. "I don't love it. It's not the best date, but it's what we have and we'll make it work."

He said the fight would probably be at the Mandalay Bay or MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Schaefer said he only briefly discussed the particulars of a deal for the Katsidis fight with Marquez (51-5-1, 37 KOs) and has not negotiated it with the Katsidis camp.

"I can't negotiate the purses until I know the HBO license fee, but when I work it out with HBO, then I can go back and forth with the fighters and work out the purses," Schaefer said.

He said he did not expect a hard time making the deal with Katsidis and his manager/trainer Brendon Smith. The Marquez fight is what both have wanted for quite some time.

"I talked to them before and informed them that I was going to see Marquez," Schaefer said. "They made it clear to me that this was the fight they wanted. So I had those conversations with them and I told them I needed to see what Marquez wanted to do. Now Marquez has told me what he wants to do and, in the coming days, I will be talking to the parties on both sides and trying to put that fight together."

Long-range, Schaefer said if Marquez defeated Katsidis, he would still attempt to move to junior welterweight with his eye on a title shot.

"Marquez didn't say he didn't want to fight at 140, only that right now he wants to stay at 135," Schaefer said. "But moving to 140 next year is very possible. We talked about him fighting Erik Morales at 140 next year. He can establish himself at 140, or if Morales wins, it would be big for him. The winner of that possible fight could be a potential opponent for Amir Khan."

Morales (49-6, 34 KOs), the faded Mexican star, who also has won titles in three divisions, ended a 2½-year retirement in March by outpointing Jose Alfaro in a welterweight bout. He is scheduled to fight Willie Limond at junior welterweight on Sept. 11.

Schaefer said he envisions a pay-per-view fight between Marquez and Morales taking place in March at famed Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. Marquez-Morales is the one match that never happened among the featherweight/junior lightweight quartet of stars of the 2000s that also included Manny Pacquiao and Marco Antonio Barrera.

"I already knew Morales was interested in that fight," Schaefer said. "And I know now that Marquez is interested in it too."

With Marquez electing to remain in the lightweight division, it leaves Khan (23-1, 17 KOs) in need of a fall opponent. He is penciled in for an HBO fight on Dec. 11, either in the United States or in his native England.

"I just talked to the Khans and we'll see if we can put together a fight with [interim titlist Marcos] Maidana," Schaefer said.

Maidana (28-1, 27 KOs) would have to win his fight on Saturday night, when he defends his belt in his native Argentina against former titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley.

"If Maidana wins, we will see if we can put that together for Dec. 11," Schaefer said. "I don't know yet if it would be in the U.K. or the U.S. The Khans are checking with [British broadcaster] Sky and I will be talking to HBO to see what makes the most sense."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez has made up his mind.

Marquez will stay at 135 pounds for a possible fall fight with Michael Katsidis rather than move up to junior welterweight to attempt to become the first Mexican to win titles in four weight classes, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Wednesday after meeting with Marquez in Mexico City.

Schaefer met with Marquez to discuss the options, which included him remaining at lightweight to fight Katsidis (27-2, 22 KOs), the all-action Australian brawler, an interim titlist who is Marquez's mandatory challenger, or moving up to junior welterweight for a possible fight with 140-pound titlist Amir Khan.

Marquez elected to stay at lightweight, where he defended the title with a lopsided decision against Juan Diaz on July 31 in a rematch of Marquez's ninth-round knockout win in the 2009 fight of the year.

"It was clear. He will stay at 135 pounds," Schaefer said.

The decision also could pave the way for Khan, who needs an opponent, to defend his title against Marcos Maidana in December, Schaefer said.

Schaefer said Nacho Beristain, Marquez's trainer and a proponent of him remaining at 135 pounds, was at their meeting.

"So now we are going to try to put together the deal for Marquez and Katsidis. Hell of a fight. Toe to toe. Mano a mano," Schaefer said. "This is a great fight. I'm excited for the fighters and the fans as well. This is going to be non-stop action. Pound for pound, these are two of the most exciting fighters in boxing."

Schaefer said the HBO date he has for the fight is Nov. 27, which is Thanksgiving weekend, not the best on the calendar for a major fight.

"That's what they gave me," Schaefer said. "I don't love it. It's not the best date, but it's what we have and we'll make it work."

He said the fight would probably be at the Mandalay Bay or MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Schaefer said he only briefly discussed the particulars of a deal for the Katsidis fight with Marquez (51-5-1, 37 KOs) and has not negotiated it with the Katsidis camp.

"I can't negotiate the purses until I know the HBO license fee, but when I work it out with HBO, then I can go back and forth with the fighters and work out the purses," Schaefer said.

He said he did not expect a hard time making the deal with Katsidis and his manager/trainer Brendon Smith. The Marquez fight is what both have wanted for quite some time.

"I talked to them before and informed them that I was going to see Marquez," Schaefer said. "They made it clear to me that this was the fight they wanted. So I had those conversations with them and I told them I needed to see what Marquez wanted to do. Now Marquez has told me what he wants to do and, in the coming days, I will be talking to the parties on both sides and trying to put that fight together."

Long-range, Schaefer said if Marquez defeated Katsidis, he would still attempt to move to junior welterweight with his eye on a title shot.

"Marquez didn't say he didn't want to fight at 140, only that right now he wants to stay at 135," Schaefer said. "But moving to 140 next year is very possible. We talked about him fighting Erik Morales at 140 next year. He can establish himself at 140, or if Morales wins, it would be big for him. The winner of that possible fight could be a potential opponent for Amir Khan."

Morales (49-6, 34 KOs), the faded Mexican star, who also has won titles in three divisions, ended a 2½-year retirement in March by outpointing Jose Alfaro in a welterweight bout. He is scheduled to fight Willie Limond at junior welterweight on Sept. 11.

Schaefer said he envisions a pay-per-view fight between Marquez and Morales taking place in March at famed Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. Marquez-Morales is the one match that never happened among the featherweight/junior lightweight quartet of stars of the 2000s that also included Manny Pacquiao and Marco Antonio Barrera.

"I already knew Morales was interested in that fight," Schaefer said. "And I know now that Marquez is interested in it too."

With Marquez electing to remain in the lightweight division, it leaves Khan (23-1, 17 KOs) in need of a fall opponent. He is penciled in for an HBO fight on Dec. 11, either in the United States or in his native England.

"I just talked to the Khans and we'll see if we can put together a fight with [interim titlist Marcos] Maidana," Schaefer said.

Maidana (28-1, 27 KOs) would have to win his fight on Saturday night, when he defends his belt in his native Argentina against former titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley.

"If Maidana wins, we will see if we can put that together for Dec. 11," Schaefer said. "I don't know yet if it would be in the U.K. or the U.S. The Khans are checking with [British broadcaster] Sky and I will be talking to HBO to see what makes the most sense."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Tarver's heavyweight debut being worked on for October
laugh.gif
smh.gif

With that gash, I think he might be more November? And I think they had brought up another name for Adamek for the fall/winter, a taller dude.

Speaking of Adamek, his promoter Kathy Duva said they want Haye early 11, Vlad in the summer and if he wins that then Wlad in the fall.

http://www.philstar.com/A...licationSubCategoryId=69

Hagler: Mayweather ain't marvelous

MANILA, Philippines - Floyd Mayweather Jr. isn’t too marvelous in the eyes of Marvin Hagler.

The former world champion yesterday told On the Ropes Boxing Radio there’s more than just the concessions that led to the breakup of negotiations for the Mayweather’s superfight with Manny Pacquiao.

Hagler, who waged some of history’s biggest fights when he squared off with Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran in the ‘80s, said the undefeated Mayweather may be ducking Pacquiao.

“With the Pacquiao and Mayweather fight, I think that Mayweather might be a little scared,

Martinez-Williams II Nov. 20th

Should be another close fight im excited for it

Oh and Ivan Calderon - Giovanni Segura is this weekend
Seugra can punch but Caldron is a master at his craft should be interesting

That should be an excellent fight and with a good undercard worth the $25 to me IMO.

Title change, no FNF tonight the season finale is tomorrow night.

Mex, Sergio/Paul set for AC?  

[h6]Los (harlem, ny)[/h6]

How close is the Martinez/Williams fight to being sealed?
[h6]Dan Rafael
  (11:59 AM)
[/h6]

I am told it's close, but that is coming from the Martinez side. I still sense a reluctance on the Williams side. So who knows?

Originally Posted by Proshares

Sounds like it'll be Pavlik, Mike Jones and Rigondeaux on the undercard.

That looks promising but knowing Arum he'll probably match them against non-competitive opponents.

No Donaire either
smh.gif

Well Pavlik will be a no name at a catch weight of like 164, Jones trying to get that Turkish kid Aydin or Collazo and Rigondeaux against Bernabe Concepcion. Not bad but not worth it.

Donaire and Montiel are no where close to a deal
laugh.gif
they should have just joined the Bantanweight tourney.

Peter has actually been in pretty good shape his last few fights.  Looking good with abouth two weeks left before he fights Wlad.

82610sampeter00t.jpg

Originally Posted by CLOISER

is maidana-corley fight gonna be on US television tonight?
Nope. HBO took that venue off of their network. Not sure why. Anyone have a stream for the Maidana-Corley fight?

I THINK this is it:

http://www.$%$*$#%$@/brujita_deprimera32#/w/348706512/2

They block out J.ustinTV.  Just type in J.ustinTV.com (w/o the . between J and u) and paste this after it:

/brujita_deprimera32#/w/348706512/2

Welp, Ivan Calderon is undefeated no more. Segura knocked him out in the 8th on body shots. He was ripping him all night and Calderon took a knee a la Cotto. Fight of the year.

Maidana is CRACKING Chop Chop so far. Chop Chop trying to wrestle him
laugh.gif

Proshares, good looks on the link.

The ref did a turrible job tonight in the Maidana & Corley fight. Points should have been deducted from both sides. Corley look more interested in wrestling Maidana than boxing him.

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior flyweight
Giovani Segura KO8 Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon
Unifies junior flyweight titles
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Segura, 25-1, 21 KOs; Calderon, 34-1-1, 6 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: It took a while, but at long last we have a honest-to-goodness fight of the year candidate. That this fight is a candidate is a surprise, because Calderon, although one of the best technical boxers of the generation, typically does not make enthralling fights. He's about boxing your ears off in a methodical, sometimes boring, way. Segura is the exact opposite. The Mexico native living in Bell Gardens, Calif., is a straight brawler. His style won out as he made Calderon fight his kind of fight, which made it an all-action fight and a gem to watch.

Segura won the Integrated Sports pay-per-view main event in Calderon's hometown in a rare 108-pound unification match, the first since Rosendo Alvarez and Victor Burgos battled to a draw in their 2003 unification bout in Atlantic City, N.J. Calderon, already recognized as the division's lineal champion, was making the seventh defense of his alphabet belt. Segura was making the fourth defense of his version of the title.

Although Calderon put his smooth skills to work early by making Segura miss wildly, he is 35, and his legs have been fading gradually in the past few years. Segura, meanwhile, is 28 and has way less wear and tear on his body.

Segura was simply relentless. He pressured Calderon throughout the fight until he simply could take it no more. Calderon did his best to try to keep away and made Segura miss a lot, but Segura also landed a lot. He landed on Calderon's arms, body and head. You name it: If there was an opening, Segura was pounding it and doing it at a blistering pace. By the heated fourth round, when Segura was all over Calderon, it seemed it was going to be a matter of time until he finally wore him down.

In his younger days, Calderon would be able to box, move and avoid being cornered by the bigger, stronger man. No such luck against Segura, who was 4 inches taller and whose swarming style was overwhelming. Segura threw so many punches and made Calderon fight at such a fast pace that it was exhausting just to watch. He also wobbled Calderon several times. Although Calderon also landed his fair share of shots, he is not a big puncher at all, and the defensively deficient Segura simply walked through the blows.

Entering the eighth round, Calderon's eyes were swelling. After Segura, who was ahead on two of the three scorecards, pinned him into a corner, Calderon had nearly had enough. Segura's onslaught included head shots and body shots as Calderon began to wilt. Finally, a left hand to the liver area body bent Calderon in half and forced him to take a knee. Down with one arm resting on his knee, his other arm resting on the ring rope and his head down, Calderon took the full count from referee Jose Rivera without making an attempt to get to his feet. He was done at 1 minute, 34 seconds of the eighth round, and so was a thrilling, high-stakes fight.

Calderon, a 2000 Olympian and the longtime strawweight champion before moving up in weight and claiming the junior flyweight title, had defeated an assortment of Mexican fighters throughout the years in fashioning an 18-0-1 record in world title fights before running into Segura, who had vowed revenge for his countrymen in one of boxing's greatest rivalries, Puerto Rico versus Mexico.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Bantamweight
McJoe Arroyo W6 Sigfredo Medina
Scores: 60-54 (three times)
[tr][td]Records: Arroyo, 5-0, 2 KOs; Medina, 3-2, 2 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Like his twin brother McWilliams Arroyo, McJoe represented Puerto Rico in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. But although McJoe Arroyo, 24, does not seem to pack the punch of his brother, he is considered a slightly better prospect because he has remained unbeaten while his brother was upset in June. Against Medina, who was fighting for the first time in 10 months, Arroyo rolled to the lopsided win as he swept all six rounds on each scorecard.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Flyweight
McWilliams Arroyo W6 Jovanne Fuentes
[tr][td]Records: Arroyo, 4-1, 3 KOs; Fuentes, 2-1, 1 KO
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Arroyo, who represented Puerto Rico in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing and was the 2009 world amateur champion, is the 24-year-old twin brother of fellow pro McJoe Arroyo. But unlike McJoe, McWilliams suffered a surprising upset loss to Takashi Okada in an action-packed four-rounder in New York in June. Returning from that stunning defeat, Arroyo outclassed fellow Puerto Rican Fuentes, who was fighting for only the third time since turning pro 11 months ago. Arroyo swept every round for the easy win.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Buenos Aires
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Marcos Maidana W12 DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley
Retains an interim junior welterweight title
Scores: 117-110, 116-110, 115-112
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Maidana, 29-1, 27 KOs; Corley, 37-14-1, 22 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: What was supposed to be an easy win for Maidana against a faded former titleholder in Corley instead turned into an epic struggle in front his hometown fans. Maidana is lucky to have escaped with the win in a fight in which the scores do not really indicate just how close and competitive it was. If you are an Amir Khan fan, Maidana's performance should have you licking your chops for Khan to meet his mandatory challenger in a possible Dec. 11 fight.

Maidana, 27, was making the third defense of a vacant interim trinket that he won when he made Victor Ortiz quit in the sixth round last summer. With his management issues behind him, Maidana wanted to get in a hometown defense before returning to the United States for a big fight later in the year. Corley, 36, of Washington, D.C., seemed to fit the bill. He has a good name, is a former titleholder and is not nearly the fighter he once was. He came into the fight having lost two of his past three but having scored a nice win over Damian Fuller in July.

As usual, Corley was in tremendous condition. Maidana looked a little soft and nearly paid the price, as Corley gave him everything he could possibly handle in a highly entertaining match. Maidana unleashed his right hand often and rocked Corley in the third round, the same frame in which an accidental head butt opened a cut over Maidana's right eye. In the sixth round, Maidana had Corley in some trouble and looking to hold on after landing several hard shots.

As much as Maidana was landing, Corley was standing his ground until the seventh round. That was when Maidana trapped him against the ropes and landed a nasty flush right hand on the chin. Corley slumped forward to grab on to him and then fell to all fours. He survived the knockdown and eventually rallied in a big way during the final few rounds of the fight. Maidana, clearly tiring, got tagged with some flush left hands that did damage in the 10th and 11th rounds. They finished strong, slugging it out toe-to-toe in the final 30 seconds of the 12th round. In the end, Maidana got the decision, but he did not look like the monster he has in recent fights. He'll need to be in better shape to have a strong chance to beat Khan. And what can you say about Corley? Good dude, good fighter, an honest effort fight in and fight out, but came up a little short. Top guys might beat him, but they'll have to work for that win every time.
[/td][/tr]

[/table][table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Montreal
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Hank Lundy W10 Omri Lowther
Scores: 100-90 (twice), 98-92
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Lundy, 19-1-1, 10 KOs; Lowther, 14-2, 10 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: On July 9, Lundy headlined "Friday Night Fights" on ESPN2. He talked a lot of smack about opponent John Molina, whom he called stupid. After dominating most of the fight, Lundy got dropped hard in the eighth round and then stopped in 11th round as Molina made a big comeback in a fight in which he was being outclassed.

It was perhaps a humbling experience for Philadelphia's Lundy, 26, although probably not because Lundy did little other than complain about the stoppage, which had been on point. But looking to rebound as quickly as possible, Lundy took the fight with Atlanta-born, Ontario-based Lowther on just three days' notice, came to his turf and shut him down in fairly easy fashion as the "Friday Night Fights" season closed with a special Saturday edition. Lundy was quicker than Lowther and hit him almost at will. Lowther, 26, didn't go down, though, because Lundy, despite his nickname of "Hammerin'," is no puncher. But he is a skillful boxer, has good defense and put his technical ability to good use against an opponent who just could not cope with his movement and speed.

The card had been a nightmare to put together. In its original incarnation, the main event was supposed to feature former junior welterweight titlist Juan Urango against Julio Diaz. Then, Montreal top prospect David Lemieux was supposed to headline with 2008 U.S. Olympian Demetrius Andrade on the undercard. When Lemieux was injured, he dropped out. Andrade did as well. That left promoter Yvon Michel to put together Lowther against Edner Cherry on short notice. Then, just a few days after Cherry had taken the fight, he fell out because of a visa problem. In came Lundy, who gave up 20 percent of his purse because he was a pound over the 139-pound contract weight and refused to lose it, to save the show and get his career back on track.
[/td][/tr]

Saturday at Atlantic City, N.J.
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Chazz Witherspoon TKO7 Livin Castillo
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Witherspoon, 27-2, 19 KOs; Castillo, 16-9, 10 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Witherspoon, 28, got a lot of hype earlier in his career because of his famous last name: He's a cousin of former two-time heavyweight titleholder Tim Witherspoon. But that did not help him in the ring when he stepped up in competition for the first time and was soundly beaten by Cristobal Arreola in June 2008. Witherspoon rebounded with three wins in a row, then faced top-10 contender Tony Thompson and was stopped in nine rounds in December.

Making his comeback nine months later, Witherspoon faced the less-than-fearsome Castillo, 34, who lost for fourth time in his past five fights, all by stoppage. In fact, Castillo, who lives in Atlantic City, has been stopped in eight of his nine losses, so it came as no surprise that Witherspoon was able to take him out. It took Witherspoon several rounds to get warmed up, as he approached Castillo somewhat cautiously while the Ecuador native put a lot of those early rounds in the bank. But as Castillo began to tire, Witherspoon slowly picked up his offense. Finally, he dropped Castillo in the seventh with a barrage of blows. The fight continued, but Witherspoon continued to impose himself, battering Castillo around until referee Earl Brown stopped it at 2 minutes, 21 seconds. Surprisingly, Castillo was ahead on all three scorecards -- 59-55 and 58-56 (twice) -- at the time of the stoppage. Witherspoon can beat the second- and third-tier guys all day long, even if it's a struggle sometimes, but when he steps up in class, it's a different story.

Also on the card, the first promoted by Atlantic City-based Spartan Fight Promotions, Isiah Seldon (2-0, 1 KO) scored a first-round knockout of Jason Johns (0-3). Seldon, a super middleweight from Atlantic City, is the son of former heavyweight titlist Bruce Seldon.
[/td][/tr]

Friday at Rosario, Argentina
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Lucas Matthysse TKO1 Rogelio Castaneda Jr.
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Matthysse, 27-0, 25 KOs; Castaneda Jr., 26-16-3, 8 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Argentina's Matthysse, 27, is the younger brother of onetime welterweight prospect Walter Matthysse and looks to be the better of the two. He certainly had an easy time with Mexico's Castaneda, 33, a journeyman who has faced a number of quality opponents such as Lamont Peterson and Demetrius Hopkins, and always has lost. Still, Castaneda has usually been pretty good at going rounds with opponents. Not on this night. Matthysse, who obviously has heavy hands, blew him out in the main event of Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo Tecate." He dropped Castaneda with a left hook midway through the opening round and it was basically over. Castaneda's legs were unsteady, and he went down again under another assault. Once again, he soldiered on, but when he went down for a third time under pressure again, the fight was called off. The fight was rematch of a September 2008 bout that was declared a no-contest in the third round because Castaneda was cut by an accidental head butt and unable to continue.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Welterweight
Sebastian Lujan TKO7 Emilio Julio
[tr][td]Records: Lujan, 34-5-2, 22 KOs; Julio, 16-8-1, 8 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Argentina's Lujan, 30, will always be remembered for one of the most grotesque ring injuries you will ever see when, in a 2005 welterweight title fight against Antonio Margarito on ESPN2, he nearly had his ear torn off the side of his head, which forced the fight to be stopped in the 10th round. Lujan then went on to fight Sergei Dzinziruk for a junior middleweight belt in 2006 and lost a decision, but he has been on a nice run since his last defeat in 2007. A physical fighter, Lujan won his eighth fight in a row and re-emerged as a contender at 147 pounds as he took care of the Colombian Julio, 31, with few problems. Lujan worked the head and body and had Julio ready to go down in the fifth round. But Julio did his best to hang on and was docked a point for excessive holding. Lujan continued to batter him in the sixth round, and Julio wanted no more, staying on the stool just after the bell had rung to begin the seventh round.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Thursday at Los Angeles
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior lightweight
Ronny Rios KO4 Leivi Brea
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Rios, 12-0, 6 KOs; Brea, 17-9-3, 9 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Just 20, Rios, of Santa Ana, Calif., is the kind of young fighter for whom Golden Boy Promotions created its "Fight Night Club" series -- a prospect who needs seasoning and can be built into an attraction with consistent performances in front of a crowd from his home region. A top amateur, Rios was a national amateur champion who lost to a future 2008 Olympian at the Olympic trials. As a pro, Rios is being moved slowly but surely. Despite Brea's lackluster record, he was most certainly a step up in competition for Rios, who passed the test impressively. Relying heavily on his jab and a relentless body attack, Rios wore down Brea, a 33-year-old Dominican. A borderline low blow in the third round cost Rios a point from referee Jose Cobian. But the penalty did not deter him. He kept banging away, dropping Brea twice in the fourth round on body blows to finish him.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Middleweight
Bastie Samir TKO1 Jacob Alvarez
[tr][td]Records: Samir, 4-0, 4 KOs; Alvarez, 0-2
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Samir, 24, represented his native Ghana in the 2008 Olympics and looked like a pro prospect with his aggressive style. He turned pro in late 2008 with manager Cameron Dunkin and a co-promotional deal with Top Rank and TKO Boxing. He quickly won his first three fights. But then he returned to Ghana to visit and wound up being unable to return to the United States for 16 months because of visa problems. Finally, the issues were resolved a couple of months ago, and he returned to the U.S. to train in Las Vegas, where he is now based. Top Rank gave him his release, as did financially troubled TKO, and Dunkin took him to Golden Boy, which has signed him and put him on a "Fight Night Club" undercard. Samir wasted no time taking out Alvarez, of Victor Valley, Calif. No surprise. After a bit of back-and-forth in the first half of the round, Samir picked up and simply overpowered Alvarez with a barrage of shots, including a powerful right hand that dropped him to a knee and forced referee Raul Caiz Sr. to call it off with 23 seconds left in the round.
[/td][/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom