2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

A junior welterweight unification match between undefeated titleholders Devon Alexander, who has two belts, and Timothy Bradley Jr., who has one, is one of boxing's most anticipated fights.

HBO has been hot for the match for quite some time and has it penciled in for Jan. 29, the week before the Super Bowl, a date the network typically holds for a major fight. Fans and media have been clamoring for the fight between the two young Americans with star potential.

Promoter Gary Shaw, who handles Bradley, and Don King, who promotes Alexander, met with HBO on Aug. 19 and reached an agreement with the network on a license fee for the fight. I don't know the exact number but I would guess it's in the $2.5 million ballpark.

But just because Shaw and King reached terms with HBO doesn't mean the fight was made. That was the easy part. Now the promoters must make deals with their fighters and management.

Although I do think the fight will ultimately be made (because neither guy has too many high-profile options at the moment and I don't think HBO is going to hand either a date if they are not fighting each other), it's not necessarily going to be so easy.

Shaw extended a $1.1 million offer to Bradley and manager Cameron Dunkin almost two weeks ago. Shaw says he has not received a response of any kind. Not yes, not no and not "let's talk about it." Nothing but silence.

On the other side, Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's manager and trainer, told me that he has yet to receive an offer from King. In fact, Cunningham said he has not heard anything from King since Alexander's Aug. 7 victory against Andriy Kotelnik, a fight that did big business in Alexander's hometown of St. Louis, drawing nearly 10,000 fans for his first headline fight there.

"We haven't heard from our promoter. We haven't been offered anything," Cunningham said.

Cunningham didn't seem too upset by the lack of communication with King, adding, "I don't want to hear from Don unless the deal is right, because there's no way Devon is going to consider fighting Tim Bradley without being offered a fair offer. I've worked with Don on purses. I've taken less money on several occasions in the past to make a fight happen. But in this fight here, this kid has to get every penny due him. You're talking about the two best junior welterweights in the division, three world titles on the line, both guys are undefeated. This is the biggest fight you can make in the division. There's no other fight in boxing you can make like this with three titles, best in the division and both undefeated.

"This fight has major ramifications and they need to be compensated fairly. And I don't think Tim Bradley will take the fight either if the money isn't right. I ain't upset about not hearing from Don. I'm good. I don't need to hear from him until he has the right deal. I don't want to hear from Don until he has good news."

Cunningham went on to make the point that Alexander-Bradley is the kind of fight boxing needs, especially at a time when so many other important fights that fans want to see aren't being made, especially Manny Pacquiao against Floyd Mayweather.

"People are so sick and tired of the fights they want to see not get made," Cunningham said. "That's driving fans away from this sport. They don't want to see the bulls--- fights the networks and promoters and managers are doing as favors. That's killing this sport. This fight here has to be made. They need to do what's right. Everybody involved, everybody responsible for this. Promoters, networks, whatever. If they want this fight to be made they know what's fair. That's all we're asking for."

Cunningham listed off a bunch of fights that should be made.

"To save our sport and attract casual fans, these fights have to happen," he said. Among the fights on his list: Pacquiao-Mayweather, Alexander-Bradley, Amir Khan-Marcos Maidana, Juan Manuel Lopez-Yuriorkis Gamboa, Wladimir Klitschko-David Haye and Miguel Cotto-Andre Berto.

"UFC wouldn't stand a chance against this line-up," Cunningham said.

As for Alexander-Bradley, the one fight on his list he can help make or break, Cunningham said, "We have an opportunity to make a big fight, so let's get it made. This fight needs to get made and the guys got to get paid. I feel positive about this fight. I think it will get done. HBO wants the fight, the fans want the fight, we really want the fight, but both of these kids have to be compensated equal to the level of the fight."

The postponed fight between featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Lopez and former two-division champion Rafael Marquez has been rescheduled.

Lopez will make his second defense against Marquez on Nov. 6 on Showtime at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Marquez co-promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com on Monday.

They had been scheduled to meet Sept. 18 -- the weekend of Mexican Independence Day -- at the MGM Grand, but the fight was postponed Aug. 21 because Marquez suffered a freak injury to his right thumb when he slammed it in a car door.

"It's done, we're good," Shaw said. "I talked to the Marquez camp and [Lopez promoter] Top Rank was fine with it. I spoke to [Top Rank president] Todd duBoef about it to get it done."

Marquez was happy the injury did not prevent the fight from being rescheduled.

"Fortunately, my thumb injury did not prevent me from continuing my conditioning, including running daily," Marquez said. "I am extremely grateful that my fight with Juan Manuel Lopez was rescheduled so quickly. On Nov. 6, 'Juanma' and I have a date with destiny. I can't wait."

Shaw said Showtime has not committed to buying an opening bout for the telecast, but he is working on it.

"So far we have just one TV fight, but I'm trying to get [Showtime's] Kenny [Hershman] to buy another one," Shaw said. "I have an idea for a very good fight. The question is if Kenny has the money in the budget."

Shaw said he'd like to match junior middleweight titlist Sergei Dzinziruk, who he co-promotes with Artie Pelullo, against Vanes Martirosyan, who is promoted by Top Rank.

"Ken was not opposed to the fight. It's a question of money," Shaw said. "I know Top Rank is fine with making that fight."

Martirosyan (28-0, 17 KOs), a 2004 U.S. Olympian, has said repeatedly that he'd like to challenge Dzinziruk (37-0, 23 KOs) for his belt. They sparred together earlier this year when they were preparing for bouts around the same time and Martirosyan said he had a lot of success against him.

Puerto Rico's Lopez (29-0, 26 KOs), 26, a former junior featherweight titleholder, moved up to featherweight and stopped Steven Luevano in the seventh round in January to win a belt. He made his first defense on July 10, knocking out Manny Pacquiao protégé Bernabe Concepcion in the second round to set the stage for the fight with Marquez.

Marquez (39-5, 35 KOs), 35, of Mexico, the younger brother of lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez, is coming off the conclusion of his epic four-fight series with Israel Vazquez in May. Marquez, a former junior featherweight and bantamweight champion, stopped him on cuts in the third round to even their historic rivalry 2-2 and set up the much-anticipated fight with Lopez.

Supposedly, HBO is giving them until the end of the week to come to a deal or they may pull their offer.  Don't know how good that info is, though.

- Rumor going around that Ward and Dirrell (being very good friends) do not want to fight each other.  That's the reason the picking of the venue being so troublesome and the fight being pushed back.  Just a rumor, though.

Say a little prayer for Bob Arum's son:
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum's son has been reported missing, forcing Arum to leave the three-city press tour that kicked off in Los Angeles on Tuesday to promote the Nov. 13 Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito junior middleweight title bout.

John Arum, 49, was reported missing Sunday after hiking in mountains north of Seattle, Top Rank spokesman Lee Samuels said.

"We got a call today that he had gone hiking and is missing, so Bob told the staff this morning that he would leave the tour and take a flight to Seattle," Samuels said. "Bob and his wife, Lovee, have left the tour and proceeded to Seattle."

Arum could not be reached for comment, but he told the Los Angeles Times before leaving for Seattle, "They've got search parties looking for him right now."

The tour continues on Wednesday in New York and then will move to Dallas on Thursday for two days. Top Rank president Todd duBoef, Arum's stepson, will run the press conferences in place of Arum.

The fight will take place at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, where Pacquiao will fight for the second consecutive bout. He outpointed Joshua Clottey there on March 13 in a welterweight title bout.

wow, that's messed up.  i hope they find him.  makes me worried because my sister camps and hikes alot in places like that. 

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bernard Hopkins, Jean Pascal to fight[/h1]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Bernard Hopkins has made a career of proving naysayers wrong.

"The Executioner" did it when he knocked out Felix Trinidad to become the undisputed middleweight champion in 2001 in a major upset. He did it again when he dominated heavily favored Antonio Tarver to win the light heavyweight title in 2006. And he did it yet again when he thrashed then-middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik, the big favorite, in a 2008 nontitle bout.

Now, Hopkins is hoping to do it one more time when he meets newly crowned light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal.

They are slated to meet Dec. 18 in Quebec City after agreeing to terms, both sides told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

"We agreed on everything," Hopkins said. "There is no issue. There is no problem with my side or Pascal's side. The contracts have been drafted. It's a done deal. All I gotta do is sign."

Hopkins said he is reviewing the contract, but "I'll probably sign it before Friday because the [Labor Day] holiday is coming up and I'm going away for a few days."

Said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, "The fact is that both sides have agreed to the terms. Now we have to get it signed, but I don't anticipate any problems.

"Both fighters really wanted the fight. If you have two fighters who really want to fight each other then I think the promoters just have to cross the T's and dot the I's. I am excited to work with [Pascal promoter] Yvon Michel. I'm really looking forward to it."

Don Majeski, an agent for Michel, also said the fight had been agreed to.

"It's a big fight for Pascal and a big fight in Quebec," Majeski said. "Hopkins is one of the biggest stars in boxing and those are the kind of fights Pascal wants."

Schaefer said he and Michel were still working out television plans.

"It could be live on Showtime. We're having discussions," Schaefer said. "Or it could be pay-per-view."

Schaefer said he hoped to make a deal with Showtime. He called it the "perfect platform" for the fight because the winner, particularly if it's Pascal, would be a logical opponent to face the winner of the network's Super Six World Boxing Classic super middleweight tournament, which is taking place in the weight class just below light heavyweight. Although HBO televised Pascal-Dawson, it is not interested in Pascal-Hopkins, Schaefer said.

Pascal, 27, who was born in Haiti but lives in the province of Quebec, scored a major upset when he clearly won an 11-round technical decision against Chad Dawson on Aug. 14 in Montreal to retain his alphabet title and win the vacant Ring magazine title, which recognizes the lineal champion of a division.

"I was impressed by one thing in Dawson that's very important," Hopkins said. "I was impressed that he came in to win no matter what and he delivered. You are judged by delivery and Pascal delivered. He bewildered, befuddled and he took Chad Dawson's confidence."

Although Pascal owes Dawson a contractual rematch, he is permitted to take an interim fight and has said repeatedly he wanted to fight Hopkins.

"It's a crossroads fight. It doesn't get more crossroads than this one," Schaefer said. "You have the young guy coming off the biggest win of his career and he's at an all-time high. Can he beat another star like he did with Dawson? Then you have Hopkins, the experienced veteran wanting to again turn back the clock. Can he do it again and beat an emerging star like he's done before? It's a fascinating fight."

Hopkins, who made a record 20 middleweight title defenses, won the lineal light heavyweight title against Tarver and lost it on a split decision to Joe Calzaghe in 2008. Regaining it is important to Hopkins.

"I need it around my waist," Hopkins said. "This fight will prove to the world that I am not done.

I hold no malice or bad feelings to those who are concerned about me, but I've always been a son of a $@#@% when it comes to rising up to the occasion. This for me is the type of fight where I have to top what I've done before. I want to keep giving them something where they can't understand how I'm doing it."

Many called for Hopkins' retirement after his sloppy and lackluster decision victory against faded Roy Jones Jr. in April in a rematch that came 17 years after Jones had won their first encounter.

But Hopkins, who will turn 46 less than a month after he faces Pascal, likes the idea of becoming one of the few fighters in boxing history to win a major title fight in his 40s.

"I was going through my memory and I had a conversation with [trainer] Naazim [Richardson] and we got stuck on just [two] guys," Hopkins said of heavyweight George Foreman and light heavyweight Archie Moore.

Hopkins is already 6-3 in his 40s, but wants to add another win to that record.

"It's a very short list of the guys who've done that, so that's one of my motivations," Hopkins said. "To make that happen and to add it on top of all the other unusual things I have done in my career, it's very motivating to me."

Hopkins said going to Canada to fight is not an issue for him.

"I have no problem going to Canada," he said. "I suggested we go to Canada based on the fans that Pascal has up there. And the Canadians have been making a lot of noise lately with [super middleweight titlist Lucian] Bute and Pascal."

Hopkins, of Philadelphia, has not fought outside the United States since 1994, when he received a draw against hometown fighter Segundo Mercado in a vacant middleweight title bout in Quito, Ecuador.

"I'd rather be fighting in Canada than Ecuador," Hopkins said.

B-Hop
pimp.gif

October 2: Arthur Abraham vs Carl Froch
October 2: Zab Judah vs Michael Clark
October 15: Antonio Tarver vs Nagy Aguilera
October 15: Lucian Bute vs Jesse Brinkley
October 16: Vitali Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs
October 16: Wilfredo Vazquez vs TBA
October 24: Toshiaki Nishioka vs Rendall Munroe
October 24: Jorge Linares vs Jesus Chavez
October 30: Sebastian Sylvester vs Mahir Oral
October 30: Alexander Povetkin vs TBA
November 5: Evander Holyfield vs Sherman Williams
November 6: Juan Manuel Lopez vs Rafael Marquez
November 6: Robert Guerrero vs TBA
November 6: James Kirkland vs TBA
November 13: Manny Pacquiao vs Antonio Margarito
November 13: Guillermo Rigondeaux vs TBA
November 13: Mike Jones vs TBA
November 13: Kelly Pavlik vs TBA
November 13: David Haye vs TBA (Audley Harrison?)
November 27: Juan Manuel Marquez vs Michael Katsidis
December 4: Miguel Cotto vs Julio Cesar Chavez
December 4: Vic Darchinyan vs Abner Mares
December 4: Yohnny Perez vs Joseph Agbeko
December 11: Amir Khan vs Marcos Maidana
December 11: Alexander Povetkin vs TBA
December 18: Jean Pascal vs Bernard Hopkins

There are some great match ups coming ,that Dec 4 card is going to be action packed

so manny says he thinks the cheater new his gloves where loaded and that he will ask for extra people to watch him wrap his hands

yet he took the fight

and roach said he wanted the fight VS JMM but top ranked picked the cheating bum

I really hope that December 4th bantam mini-tourney comes to fruition.

Got a good fight IMO this weekend with Roman Martinez vs. Ricky Burns for a 130 lb belt and also have the other 147 title being defended by Jan Zaveck.
I think Peter/Wlad next week might be a good heavy weight fight.  Gamboa/Salido will be fireworks as long as it lasts.

NEW YORK -- Manny Pacquiao and his trainer Freddie Roach wanted the exact same thing that boxing fans everywhere wanted: Floyd Mayweather Jr.

They got Antonio Margarito instead.

Pacquiao and Roach said Wednesday that they agreed to every demand put forward by Mayweather for what could have been the richest fight in boxing history. But the former pound-for-pound king chose not to accept the fight, leaving Pacquiao to look elsewhere for a fall opponent.

He'll face Margarito, the former welterweight champ, on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

"I don't need him, he needs me," Pacquiao said of Mayweather, during a stop Wednesday in New York to promote his upcoming fight. "Compare my achievements in boxing to his achievements."

They've both achieved plenty, which is why fans have been clamoring for the high-profile matchup for the better part of two years -- and why so many are upset it hasn't happened.

The fight was nearly made in January, then fell apart when Pacquiao refused Olympic-style drug testing in the weeks leading up to the fight. But the newly minted congressman from the Philippines said he's even agreed to the strict blood testing in an effort to make the fight, but he hasn't heard from Mayweather's side why an agreement couldn't be reached.

"We agree with, you know, his demands," Pacquiao said, referring specifically to the blood testing. "I wanted to know if that's his real reason [for not fighting]."

The entire negotiation process came to resemble an unsavory soap opera, with HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg publicly stating that he had worked tirelessly as an intermediary between the two sides. Pacquiao's promoter Top Rank has a poor relationship with Mayweather, who rose to become a world champion under its banner, so it's not unreasonable to assume there was an intermediary.

Shortly after a deadline imposed by Top Rank for Mayweather to accept the fight had passed, his adviser Leonard Ellerbe issued a bizarre statement in which he said no negotiations ever took place -- contradicting Greenburg and the folks at Top Rank.

Roach said that Top Rank had been calling him for advice on what gloves to wear, what ring size to use, what weight to fight at -- standard details during a negotiation process.

"When people are calling me and asking me, 'Is this OK? Is this OK? Is this OK?' There's something going on," Roach said. "I know there must have been negotiations going on.

"Whatever he wanted to do, we were accepting it. Whatever he wanted. Manny said, 'I want to fight. I'll agree to anything.' I thought the fight was a shoo-in."

Roach was recently in Ukraine to watch one of his other fighters, Vyacheslav Senchenko, retain a welterweight title. But all he heard from fans were questions about Pacquiao-Mayweather -- not about Senchenko, and certainly not about Margarito.

"You know, I really truly think boxing needs that fight to happen," Roach said. "All people want to know, 'When's he fighting Mayweather?' Wherever I go, that's what I'm asked."

I think he'll outbox him eventually but Katsidis will get his shots in. Dude looked like a completely different fighter against Mitchell. Way more well rounded.

Zab Judah has not fought on HBO in more than two years, but that could change if plans in the works are finalized.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and HBO are working on a Nov. 6 "Boxing After Dark" card, which could take place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., where Schaefer would co-promote with Main Events, Judah's promoter.

[h4]Rafael's Boxing Blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

The proposed main event: Golden Boy junior welterweight knockout artist Lucas Matthysse (27-0, 25 KOs) of Argentina against New York's Judah (39-6, 27 KOs), the former undisputed welterweight champ and two-time junior welterweight titlist.

Judah, whose last HBO fight was a ninth-round technical decision loss to Joshua Clottey for a vacant welterweight belt in August 2008, returned to 140 pounds in July and stopped Jose Armando Santa Cruz in the third round at the Prudential Center on ESPN2.

HBO has been featuring top junior welterweight Devon Alexander, Timothy Bradley, Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana and Victor Ortiz. It views the winner of the potential Judah-Matthysse fight fitting into the picture for a major bout with any of those fighters.

"HBO likes the match," Schaefer said. "So we are trying to work it out."

Said Main Events chief Kathy Duva, "We are trying very hard to make it happen, but Zab is definitely interested. I'm all for it, but it's a complicated thing to do. But I think if it's going to happen, we'll have it worked out in the next couple of days."

If it comes off, Duva said Judah's Oct. 2 bout against Michael Clark at the Prudential Center would be canceled.

In February, Matthysse scored his most notable win, a controversial fourth-round stoppage of former junior welterweight Vivian Harris.

Schaefer said former featherweight and junior lightweight titlist Robert Guerrero is slated for the televised co-feature. Schaefer said he could challenge lightweight titlist Miguel Vazquez.

"We've discussed that fight and HBO is interested. We're talking to the Vazquez camp," Schaefer said.

Junior middleweight James Kirkland, who will be released from prison Sept. 17 after serving time on a probation violation, will make his return on the undercard, Schaefer said. Kirkland has not fought since March 2009.

Cameron Dunkin, Kirkland's manager, said he would fight an eight-rounder against an opponent to be determined. However, Dunkin added that Kirkland would not face Ishe Smith, whose name has surfaced in some media reports.

Dunkin and Schaefer said HBO will air highlights of Kirkland's bout. If the Judah-Matthysse matchup is not made, Schaefer said the card could move to Austin, Texas, Kirkland's hometown, with a new main event.

The Prudential Center became available on Nov. 6 because heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek, a Main Events fighter who was slated to fight at the arena on that date, suffered a cut in his win there against Michael Grant last month. The cut forced Adamek, a big draw in Newark, to delay his next fight until late November or December.

Adamek's change of plans allowed Judah to move to Nov. 6. Adamek's next fight will take place in Atlantic City because there are no other dates available at the Prudential Center for the rest of the year, Duva said.

"We were already planning to move Tomasz's fight when the call came from HBO about the Judah fight," Duva said.

They're trying to make JMM/Katsidis a triple header with Berto/Aydin and Caballero vs. an opponent to be determined but probably won't be Berto since HBO has spoiled him with paydays and he won't take short money.

[h4]
[h4]Peter finally gets another crack at W. Klitschko[/h4]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_g_peter_sy_576.jpg
Alex Grimm/Bongarts/Getty ImagesSamuel Peter, above, finally gets a long-awaited rematch with Wladimir Klitschko.

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko hasn't been in a competitive fight for five years, routing his last nine opponents -- eight by knockout -- while winning two belts and earning recognition as the lineal champion.

The last time he was in a real fight? Sept. 24, 2005, in Atlantic City, N.J. That's when he faced Samuel Peter in a title eliminator.

Although Klitschko won a unanimous decision -- 114-111 on all three scorecards -- and went on to blow out Chris Byrd in his next fight to win a world title, Peter left a lasting impression on Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs), dropping him three times in their dramatic fight.

From the moment the fight was over, Peter and manager Ivaylo Gotzev sought a rematch. Now, they've finally got it.

Peter, a former titleholder, will challenge Klitschko at the Commerzbank Arena, which will be scaled for 45,000, in Frankfurt, Germany, on Sept. 11. The fight can be seen live in the United States on ESPN3.com (5 p.m. ET) as well as at 8 p.m. ET on same-day tape delay on ESPN Deportes with a Sept. 12 replay at 4:30 p.m. ET on ESPN.

"Our roads have collided on two occasions and Sam will provide the biggest challenge to Klitschko in the last five years," Gotzev said. "You have seen the first fight and you will see a great fight on Sept. 11."

Peter (34-3, 27 KOs) landed the title shot after Alexander Povetkin, a Klitschko mandatory challenger for more than two years, withdrew, declining a career-best purse of more than $2 million. Peter, next in line in the IBF's ratings, jumped at the opportunity to fill in for Povetkin.

"Samuel is a true warrior and there was really no hesitation at all for him wanting to get back in the ring with Wladimir," said Tom Loeffler, managing director for Klitschko's K2 Promotions. "In fact, ever since the first fight, Ivaylo has told me he wanted a rematch and now it's coming to fruition."

Since the loss, Peter has had his ups and downs.

He went on to knock out Oleg Maskaev in 2008 to win a world title only to lose it in his first defense when Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir's big brother, made him quit after eight rounds of bruising punishment.

Peter lost his next fight too, coming into a match with Eddie Chambers in horrible condition. At a career-heavy 265 pounds, Peter lumbered through a decision loss. Many wrote Peter off after that fight, but a change of scenery to promoter Top Rank and trainer Abel Sanchez seems to have helped.

"I have been with Sam now since last May. The dedication has been the big difference I have seen in Sam," Sanchez said. "I have been able to keep him in the gym six or seven days a week. We have been in camp for eight weeks and we are looking forward to a great heavyweight fight because I think he has put in the work this time. I think in the past he has allowed outside sources to distract him and he had a lack of commitment, but I think his time, to me, it has changed."

With Sanchez in his corner, Peter has won four fights in a row -- albeit against soft opposition -- all by knockout. But he's been in top condition each time, including for a second-round destruction of Nagy Aguilera in March in a title eliminator that put him in position behind Povetkin.

Peter is confident and excited for his second opportunity against Klitschko.

"I have a lot to prove," Peter said. "I have a chance to redeem myself from the 2005 fight. It is going to be a great fight. I am getting another chance to prove that I am the best heavyweight champion in all. The loss was a bad mistake. This time I am going to prove that I can become a champion again. For sure, on Sept. 11 in Germany it is going to be a great fight. I don't have much to say because I know that my gloves will speak for me in the ring."

The loss to Chambers was rock bottom for Peter. He went into the fight unhappy with his promotional situation with Dino Duva and his partner, Don King. Obviously, Peter hadn't trained very hard based on his conditioning.

"Everything was frustrating at that time," Peter said. "I had lost the championship and the promotion was so bad. I am OK now and everything is straight up. I have the best promoter in the world and the best coach in the world. I have the best manager in the world and I am going to be the best."

Sanchez brought him to the isolation of the mountains of Big Bear, Calif., to train, and Peter, who usually trains near his home in Las Vegas, took to the new routine.

"Everything in Big Bear is great. It's a great place to train. It's very peaceful," Peter said. "I didn't know about Big Bear for all these years, but it is a great place to train. Abel brought me up here and he doesn't take my nonsense. He doesn't take no for an answer. He wants to see me working. I am happy about being here."

Next week, Peter will be in Germany, where his only experience was the loss to Vitali Klitschko. But this time, Peter says he's in a better frame of mind and will be looking to finish what he started with the three knockdowns against Wladimir five years ago.

"On Sept. 11, he will be down and will not stand up again," Peter said. "The victory and my judges I have in my right hand and the judge is my left hook. There will not be a decision this time around. This time he will not get up from my left hook. I am ready and I am prepared and I will not need a referee or a judge."

[h4]Pavlik returns[/h4]

box_g_pavlik_b1_576.jpg
Jeff Zelevansky/Getty ImagesExpect to see Kelly Pavlik, above, on the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito undercard.

Former middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik, who lost his title to Sergio Martinez in April, is planning a return on the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito HBO PPV undercard on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

Top Rank and manager Cameron Dunkin have been going over potential opponents and trying to lock in a deal.

Dunkin said Pavlik was anxious to fight again and loved the idea of being on a card with Pacquiao and fighting at Cowboys Stadium in front of a crowd that could push 70,000.

"I want to go over things with Kelly," Dunkin said. "We kinda know the money, but I'm supposed to get a contract and we're going over the names. But Kelly is willing to fight on the card. The bottom line is I have to say to him, This is who you are fighting, this is what you are making.' He really wants to do it. He'd love to go to Dallas. He thinks it's really neat down there and he loves the stadium and he loves [Cowboys owner] Jerry Jones. To go to Dallas with the Cowboys and Jerry Jones and fight at that stadium and get that kind of exposure with the best fighter in the world in front of that crowd? He wants that. He wants to fight again and what better place to do it? Kelly is willing to work on the money, but I just want to go over all of it with him and get his thoughts. I feel he's definitely going to fight. But I want him happy and ready to come back. I want boxing to be fun again for him."

Another fighter who could appear on the card is hot welterweight Mike Jones (22-0, 18 KOs), the rising Philadelphia prospect, against Jesus Soto Karass (24-4-3, 16 KOs). If Jones appears on the card it will only be if his promoter, Hall of Famer Russell Peltz, enters into a co-promotional deal with Top Rank. No decision has been made, Peltz told ESPN.com. He is also weighing an offer from Main Events, he said.

[h4]The Chinese are coming[/h4]

Promoter Dino Duva has been logging the frequent flyer miles going back and forth to China for the past couple of years as he's been working closely with the Chinese Boxing Federation to gain a foothold in the potentially lucrative Chinese market as well as expose the Chinese prospects in the United States.

The first tangible evidence of the effort will take place Oct. 1 in New York when he, Global Sports & Entertainment and the Chinese federation put on an amateur boxing card featuring some of China's 2012 Olympic hopefuls facing a team of top Americans
[/h4]

hiking in that area in a group is risky but doing it alone is nuts. no reception, no day trip hikers and no highways/towns anywhere nearby. during that weekend it went from sunny and 60 degrees on friday to heavy mixed rain/snow by sunday. if you've ever seen the deer hunter, the mountain and cabin scenes were shot close to storm king. RIP

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Glasgow, Scotland
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior lightweight
Ricky Burns W12 Rocky Martinez
Wins a junior lightweight title
Scores: 115-113, 115-112 (twice)
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Burns, 29-2, 7 KOs; Martinez, 24-1-1, 15 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: When it rains it pours doesn't it? For months, we've been in search of a fight of the year candidate. They have been few and far between in 2010. But now, for the second week in a row, we have ourselves a legitimate candidate. Last week, it was Giovani Segura unifying junior flyweight titles with an eighth-round knockout against Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon in a tremendous battle. And now we can add to the list Burns' dramatic upset of Puerto Rico's Martinez. What a terrific, action-packed fight, one that was made even better by the incredibly raucous Scottish crowd rooting Burns on.

The first time Martinez, 27, fought in the United Kingdom, he knocked out hometown fighter Nicky Cook in the fourth round in England to win a title in March 2009. Martinez made two defenses in Puerto Rico and then returned to the United Kingdom to make his mandatory defense on Burns' home turf. It looked like Martinez, the more physical and better puncher, might make it an early night. With 30 seconds left in the first round, he cracked Burns on the jaw with a right hand and he collapsed to the mat against the ropes on his backside. But Burns, 27, survived and shook off the knockdown to come back strong in what was fierce battle that saw them trade toe-to-toe for throughout the fight. Both men were rocked and wobbled several times in, as they say in the U.K., a cracker. Pick a round and you will probably find bursts of heated back and forth action. They were both hurt in the third round and both hurt again in the wild fifth round. Martinez had Burns in serious trouble in the seventh. Back and forth it went, although Burns seemed to be inching ahead as the fight came down the stretch, perhaps motivated by the overwhelming volume of the passionate crowd. Martinez was clearly looking for the knockout in the 12th round, but Burns blunted his attack when a combination rocked him. Burns continued throwing punches, but Martinez kept coming at him as they traded with abandon in the final minute of the fight. In the end, Burns had done a little bit more than Martinez to earn the hard-fought upset victory in a tremendous battle. Hopefully, a scrap like this bodes well for the fall.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Guadalajara, Mexico
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior lightweight
Jorge Solis TKO6 Francisco Cordero
Retains an interim junior lightweight title
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Solis, 40-2-2, 29 KOs; Cordero, 23-1, 15 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

Rafael's remark: Solis is establishing himself as one of the top fighters in the 130-pound division, which, at least right now, is not very strong. But Solis is a good fighter, regardless. The brother of former junior flyweight titlist Ulises "Archie" Solis has only two losses, a knockout defeat to Manny Pacquiao (forgivable) and a decision loss to then-featherweight titlist Cristobal Cruz 14 months ago in a rematch of Solis' 2003 win. Following the loss to Cruz, Solis, 30, moved up to junior lightweight and claimed an interim belt by stopping Likar Ramos in the seventh round in February. Of course, it was one of the horrible WBA interim belts, but Solis has now defended it twice, bumping off the solid Mario Santiago by decision in May and ending Cordero's undefeated run.

Headlining a "Top Rank Live" card and fighting in his hometown, Solis started fast. He put together an excellent flurry that trapped Cordero, 24, of Colombia, against the ropes in the first round. Solis dug to the body several times during the attack and Cordero went down to his knees after absorbing a left hand to the gut. Cordero fought better in the second and third rounds, but Solis remained in control. In the fourth round, Solis put together another sustained flurry, hammering Cordero with body punches and straight left hands as he trapped him against the ropes again. Once again, Cordero went down under heavy pressure and he barely survived. Solis continued to inflict damage in the fifth round, especially with body shots. After taking a shot to the midsection, Cordero looked like he was just about to take a knee when the bell rang to the end the round. Cordero was spent by the sixth round and Solis went after him again. As he pounded him, referee Guillermo Perez Pineda finally jumped in to stop the bout at 1 minute, 46 seconds. Cordero had no complaints.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Junior flyweight
Omar Niño TKO6 Ronald Barrera
Retains a junior flyweight title
[tr][td]Records: Niño, 30-3-2, 12 KOs; Barrera, 27-8-2, 16 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In February, Niño challenged titlist Rodel Mayol and wound up with a three-round no decision after Niño knocked out Mayol with a punch on the referee's break and he could not continue. The odd ending on an accidental foul meant there would be an immediate rematch. And in June, Niño, 34, won a unanimous decision in a foul-filled fight to claim the belt. Making the first defense of his second title reign -- the first ended after he beat Brian Viloria in a 2006 rematch, but the result was changed to a no decision because Niño tested positive for a banned substance -- Niño picked on the hapless Barrera, who came to Niño's hometown and got shellacked. Niño was in total command all the way as he ripped Barrera with head and body shots. It was just a matter of time until Niño was going to put him away. The fight was a one-sided target practice. Finally, after six rounds of punishment, Barrera did not come out for the seventh round. There was no reason to think Barrera, 25, of Colombia, was going to pull off the upset, having lost all four of his previous title bouts. He had dropped strawweight title bouts to Yutaka Niida (2006), Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon (2007) and Raul Garcia (2009), who knocked him out in the sixth round. In an interim junior flyweight title bout in December, Juan Carlos Reveco knocked him out in the third round. Barrera is 1-3-1 in his past five fights.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Cologne, Germany
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Felix Sturm W12 Giovanni Lorenzo
Retains a middleweight title
Scores: 118-111, 117-111 (twice)
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Sturm, 34-2-1, 14 KOs; Lorenzo, 29-3, 21 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Sturm had been rolling along in his third reign with a 160-pound title when he ran into promotional issues with Universum. After outpointing Khoren Gevor 14 months ago, Sturm sat idle while dealing with the dispute. After finally reaching a settlement and parting ways with Universum, Sturm, 31, of Germany, returned to the ring and made the eighth defense of his belt with an easier-than-expected victory. Sturm totally dominated Lorenzo, 29, a Dominican Republic native living in New York. While Sturm was more aggressive and displayed his outstanding jab as though he had not been out of action for more than a year, Lorenzo refused to press the action. There was no chance for him to win, especially with Sturm backing him up for most of the fight. Lorenzo started well, but perhaps that was because it took Sturm a couple of rounds to shake off the rust from the layoff. After the second round, it was all Sturm, who looked very good. Lorenzo dropped to 3-3 in his past six fights, including losing his only other world title bout, which came in Germany against titlist Sebastian Sylvester last September. And wasn't it a beautiful thing that the fight was available live and free in the United States, either on ESPN3.com or on Spanish-language ESPN Deportes? Hopefully, we will see many more overseas fights made available like that.
[/td][/tr]

[/table][table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Chihuahua, Mexico
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Flyweight
Julio Cesar Miranda TKO9 Ronald Ramos
Retains a flyweight title
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Miranda, 33-5-1, 26 KOs; Ramos, 29-9-3, 15 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: Miranda, 30, of Mexico, had come up short in his first two flyweight title opportunities, losing decisions to Pongsaklek Wonjongkam and Moruti Mthalane in 2009. But when he faced Richie Mepranum in June for the belt that longtime titlist Omar Narvaez had vacated, Miranda scored a fifth-round knockout and claimed a title. Making his first defense, Miranda faced Ramos, 33, of Colombia, and dominated. Miranda dropped Ramos in the first round, which simply set the stage for the remainder of the fight. After taking a pounding for most of the fight, Ramos retired on his stool one second into the ninth round. Ramos has been stopped in two of his last three bouts, including a fourth-round knockout to junior flyweight champ Giovani Segura in a March nontitle bout.
[/td][/tr]

Saturday at Mar del Plata, Argentina
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior flyweight
Luis Lazarte W12 Nerys Espinoza
Retains a junior flyweight title
Scores: 116-111 (three times)
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Lazarte, 48-9-1, 18 KOs; Espinoza, 29-6-1, 20 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In May, Lazarte won a split decision in his native Argentina to win a 108-pound belt from Carlos Tamara. It was a stirring scene as Lazarte, at age 39, finally claimed a world title in his sixth try and broke down in tears of joy after the decision was announced. Now, instead of facing Tamara in a rematch that was originally planned, Lazarte made his first defense of Nicaragua's Espinoza, 29, who had failed in his previous two title shots for junior flyweight belts. He lost decisions to Roberto Vasquez in 2005 and Ulises "Archie" Solis in 2008. Lazarte, who is 5-foot-1, was giving up five inches to Espinoza. He's almost always the shorter man in the ring, but he made up for it as he outboxed Espinoza in a competitive fight that featured some solid exchanges with Lazarte generally getting the better of the action. If there was any doubt Lazarte was winning, he closed strong. He wobbled Espinoza near the end of the 11th round and dished out more punishment in the final round, in which Espinoza was docked a point for hitting on the break.
[/td][/tr]

Saturday at Ljubljana, Slovenia
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Jan Zaveck W12 Rafal Jackiewicz
Retains a welterweight title
scores: 117-111 (twice), 114-114
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Zaveck, 30-1, 17 KOs; Jackiewicz, 36-9-1, 18 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In 2008, Jackiewicz retained the European title at home in Poland with a split decision win against Zaveck. Three fights later, Slovenia's Zaveck, 34, went to South Africa and knocked out Isaac Hlatshwayo in December to claim a world title. Making his second defense, and fighting at home, Zaveck faced Jackiewicz, 33, in a rematch, and took a majority decision. The draw scorecard, however, seemed quite off, but here's probably why: It was rendered by Polish judge Leszek Jankowiak. With the crowd roaring in support of Zaveck, he showed more energy and was busier as he piled up rounds. Jackiewicz was accurate with his punches, but he just didn't throw enough of them, and there was no way he was going to win a decision with that kind of output on Zaveck's turf. The win was Zaveck's fifth in a row since the 2008 loss to Jackiewicz, who saw his 21-fight winning streak since 2005 come to an end.
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Friday at Chiang Mai, Thailand
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Strawweight
Oleydong Sithsamerchai D12 Pornsawan Porpramook
Retains a strawweight title
Scores: 114-114 (twice), 114-113 Sithsamerchai
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Sithsamerchai, 34-0-1, 12 KOs; Porpramook, 22-3-1, 16 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In a rare all-Thailand world title bout, Sithsamerchai, 25, barely retained his 105-pound belt for the sixth time on a majority draw against Porpramook, 32. The result of the often toe-to-toe fight was a surprising result considering that they had met in a title bout in 2008 and Sithsamerchai had won a convincing decision. Porpramook dropped to 2-3-1 in his last six fights. He is also 0-3-1 in title bouts. Besides the previous loss to Sithsamerchai, Porpramook has lost a junior flyweight title bout to Edgar Sosa (2009) and a strawweight title bout to Donnie Nietes (2007).
[/td][/tr]

[/table]

[table][tr][th=""]
Wednesday at Brakpan, South Africa
[/th][/tr][tr][td]
Junior lightweight
Mzonke Fana W12 Cassius Baloyi
Wins a vacant junior lightweight title
Scores: 119-110, 119-109, 118-110
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Records: Fana, 30-4, 12 KOs; Baloyi, 37-5-1, 19 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In 2008, Fana, 36, lost his 130-pound belt to South African countryman Baloyi, 35, on a majority decision. Meeting in a rematch to fill the vacancy for that same belt that was created when Robert Guerrero relinquished the title and moved up in weight earlier this year, Fana exacted revenge with a lopsided decision and won his third fight in a row since that loss to Baloyi. Fana took it to Baloyi from the outset, backing him up throughout the fight and winning handily. Baloyi's right eye began swelling in the second round and he said he had trouble seeing out of it for the rest of the fight. Fana rocked him with a series of uppercuts in the seventh round and had him holding on in the eighth round. The outcome was academic. It was only a matter of whether Baloyi could make it to the final bell.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Flyweight
Moruti Mthalane TKO5 Zolani Tete
Retains a flyweight title
[tr][td]Records: Mthalane, 26-2, 17 KOs; Tete, 13-1, 11 KOs
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Rafael's remark: In November 2008, Mthalane challenged Nonito Donaire for a flyweight belt and was stopped in the sixth round in Las Vegas. Two fights later, Mthalane took a unanimous decision from Julio Cesar Miranda to claim the vacant belt, which Donaire had given up in order to move up in weight. Making his first defense in an all-South African showdown, Mthalane, 27, had an easy time with Tete. He sent Tete, 22, reeling into the ropes from a right hand in the second round, buckled his knees in the third and dropped him with a left-right combination early in the fifth. Although Tete survived the knockdown, he went down moments later from a jab. Although the fight continued, Tete was finished and referee Tonio Tiberi called it off as he was being battered along the ropes.
[/td][/tr][/table]
  @danrafaelespn BJ Flores told me he is signed to fight Danny Green, Nov. 17 in Australia.

By Terence Dooley

Sky Sports News has revealed that David Haye will take on Audley Harrison at the MEN Arena, Manchester on November the 13th, the fight will be broadcast on Sky Box Office pay-per-view and Haye's WBA heavyweight title will be on the line.  The fight gives Harrison an unlikely shot at fulfilling his oft-stated destiny of becoming a world heavyweight title holder; Haye needed to keep busy, he has only fought once this year, a stoppage win over John Ruiz, and the fight with Harrison, though derided by many, will at least  keep him in action ahead of stiffer tests.

By Mark Vester

Veteran scribe Dave Anderson of The Mirror was advised by Amir Khan's camp that Marcos Maidana has not yet agreed to the financial terms of their proposed junior welterweight contest for December 11, confirming our earlier report. Khan's camp is sending a message that Maidana is requesting too much money for the fight. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told BoxingScene.com last week that Maidana is not going to take "short money" for a clash with Khan.

It's expected that a deal will be reached. In the event the negotiations fall apart, Victor Ortiz has been named as a secondary option for Khan's next defense of the WBA title. To keep his name in the running, Ortiz will have to beat former champion Vivian Harris on September 18 at Staples Center.

By Mark Vester

According to Elias Nassar, manager of IBO bantamweight champion Vic Darchinyan, the fight against unbeaten Abner Mares will take place on December 18 in either Las Vegas or California. Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs) and Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs) appeared to have a date set for November 6 on Showtime. It was moved when the postponed featherweight clash between Juan Manuel Lopez and Rafael Marquez took over the date.

In the co-feature, IBF bantamweight champion Yonnhy Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs) will have a rematch with former champion Joseph Agbeko (27-2, 22 KOs).

Both bantamweight bouts are part of Showtime's four man elimination tournament. The winners of both fights will meet in 2011.

By Jhonny Gonzalez

According to sources in Mexico, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is reportedly not happy with the idea of having to spend several weeks in the Philippines to prepare for a fight with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto. Chavez's new trainer, Freddie Roach, will be in the Philippines for several weeks to train Manny Pacquiao for his fight with Antonio Margarito on November 13. Cotto vs. Chavez is tentative for December 4.

Several of Roach's fighters, including 140-pound champion Amir Khan and junior middleweight Vanes Martirosyan, have fights scheduled around the same period. Roach wanted to train several of them, including Chavez, at the same time in the Philippines before returning to the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles. Roach wanted to use Chavez as the chief sparring partner for Pacquiao. He says Chavez has the ability and the physical form to duplicate the style of Margarito.

There is a three week gap between Pacquiao-Margarito and Cotto-Chavez. It's hard to see Chavez going forward with such a tough fight without a full training camp with Roach and conditioning expert Alex Ariza. Chavez needs extra attention for this camp because he's had trouble making 154-pounds. Roach says "it'll be a little tough, but he'll make it."

Roach and Ariza will have to sort out the situation to ensure all of their schedules cooperate, or maybe Chavez changes his mind and gets with the program.

Four of the top bantamweights in the world -- Vic Darchinyan, Yonnhy Perez, Joseph Agbeko and Abner Mares -- will be part of a single-elimination tournament on Showtime, which finalized the event Wednesday, promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com.

The semifinals will take place in Leon, Mexico, on Dec. 11. Darchinyan, the junior bantamweight champion, who is staying at bantamweight after winning a fight in the division in May, will face Mares in the main event. Perez will defend his 118-pound title in a mandatory rematch against former titlist Joseph Agbeko in the co-feature.

The winners are slated to meet in the first quarter of 2011 or early in the second quarter, Shaw said.

Shaw, who promotes Darchinyan and Perez, said the tournament, which has been in the works for a couple of months, was finalized during an afternoon conference call.

"It's a very exciting night of fights for a great year-ending card on Showtime," Shaw said. "Time to see who the real 118-pound champion will be."

The participants have familiarity with each other.

Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs), a California-based Colombian, claimed his title with a decision win against Agbeko (27-2, 22 KOs), who is from Ghana but living in New York, in October in one of the best fights of 2009. In his first defense, Perez and Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs), a 2004 Mexican Olympian living in Los Angeles, battled to a majority draw in a barnburner in May.

Before Agbeko lost to Perez, he made a successful title defense against Australia's Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs), winning by unanimous decision in a July 2009 slugfest.

Each of those bouts were televised on Showtime.

"I think it's a great opportunity for these guys," said Frank Espinoza, who manages Mares and Perez. "I think what Showtime is doing for the bantamweight division is great. You have four top boxers in the division. The winner of the tournament will be a superstar in the making. There's a lot of good stuff in this tournament and I am looking forward to this.

"I know Abner and Yonnhy are also looking forward to the tournament. We are happy that everyone involved, Gary Shaw, [Mares promoter] Golden Boy, [Agbeko promoter] Don King and Ken Hershman from Showtime made this happen. We're really excited."

Showtime had hoped to stage a six-man tournament similar to the Super Six World Boxing Classic that it is in the midst of in the super middleweight division. It invited unified titleholder Fernando Montiel and junior bantamweight Nonito Donaire, who is moving up in weight, owns a win a knockout against Darchinyan and is on most pound-for-pound lists. However, neither is in the field because their promoter, Top Rank, declined to participate.

box_g_klitschko2_sy_576.jpg
Alex Grimm/Bongarts/Getty ImagesWladimir Klitschko might be favored over Sam Peter, but he is still proceeding with caution.

Five years have passed since the last time heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko faced Samuel Peter, but he has not forgotten the fight -- and he probably never will.

On that September night in 2005 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., Klitschko found himself on the canvas three times courtesy of the powerful "Nigerian Nightmare," but three times, Klitschko picked himself up and kept on truckin' to essentially save his career.

Other than the rounds in which he was dropped, Klitschko won the rest of the fight -- including staggering Peter in the final round -- to claim a unanimous decision, 114-111 on all three scorecards.

The victory against Peter, which came in a title elimination match, was a turning point for Klitschko, who proved he could remain calm in the face of adversity after falling apart in previous bouts when under duress. The win propelled him into a title fight against Chris Byrd seven months later. Klitschko pounded him for a one-sided seventh-round TKO to win a belt. Since then, he has not been in a fight that has been even remotely competitive.

Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs) has mowed through all comers in his eight title defenses, mostly against top opponents, while unifying titles along the way.

[h4]Heavy Hitting Boxing Podcast[/h4]
http://active.macromedia....lash.cab#version=8,0,0,0 height=70 width=86 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>http://a.espncdn.com/swf/...o_player_circular_v2.swf swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=86 HEIGHT=70 QUALITY=best SCALE=noorder wmode=transparent ID=flashPodcastSwf NAME=flash2 MENU=false DEVICEFONT=false FlashVars=&soundLink=http://c.espnradio.com/au...2010-09-09-103434.32.mp3 TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com...d_Version=ShockwaveFlash>

The careers of Wladimir Klitschko and Samuel Peter are at very different points than when they first met five years ago. Kieran Mulvaney previews their rematch.

More Podcasts »

The fight with Peter (34-3, 27 KOs) remains Klitschko's most competitive fight since 2005, and now he's going back into the ring with the former titleholder, who lost his belt to Wladimir's older brother, Vitali Klitschko, in 2008.

"This is the most dangerous opponent Wladimir has fought in five years," trainer Emanuel Steward said. "All of the fighters Wladimir has faced were good fighters, but we never really had to worry about their punching power. But Sam Peter is a puncher and -- as I have learned with Lennox Lewis with a guy named Hasim Rahman, who landed one single punch when Lennox was winning the fight so easily -- that reminds me what a puncher can do. We're going against a fighter who can punch."

Klitschko, a big puncher in his own right, and Peter will meet again in a mandatory rematch Saturday at Commerzbank Arena, which will be configured for 45,000, in Frankfurt, Germany.

ESPN3.com will carry live coverage at 5 p.m. ET with same-day taped coverage available on ESPN Deportes at 8 p.m. ET. There will be a replay on ESPN at 4:30 p.m. ET Sunday.

"Considering all the history five years ago, I am very excited about this fight," Klitschko said. "I'm going to show, especially to the boxing fans in the United States, what the difference in Sam Peter and Wladimir Klitschko's development is in the past five years. He's still the most competitive fighter I've ever faced. It will be a really good fight. I am looking forward to it."

Said Steward, who could describe virtually every moment of the first fight if asked to do so, "I'm a little more on edge for this fight than I have been in a long time."

Although Klitschko defeated Peter in their initial encounter, the knockdowns are what most people remember, especially since the fight came at a time in Klitschko's career when many doubted that he would rise to the top of the division, success that had been widely predicted for him after he won the super heavyweight gold medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4] Don't miss a moment of the latest ....com/ESPNboxing][color=#225db7]Join »[/color][/b]
[/url]

It had been a difficult 2½ years for Klitschko leading up to the first fight with Peter. The three knockdowns came two fights after he was knocked down in a tough five-round technical-decision win against DaVarryl Williamson and three fights after he had been knocked down and was exhausted in a fifth-round knockout loss to Lamon Brewster when they met for a vacant title.

Three fights before the collapse against Brewster, Corrie Sanders destroyed Klitschko in two rounds to take his piece of the heavyweight title.

"The first fight he fought with Sam Peter was the most crucial event in his career," said Steward, whose first fight in Klitschko's corner was the ill-fated Brewster bout, a loss he avenged in 2007. "Most everybody had given up on him. Wladimir asked me, 'Who is the most dangerous and credible opponent I could fight?' It was Sam Peter. Wladimir could have taken an easier route."

Steward described how when Klitschko went to training camp to get ready for the first fight with Peter, he eliminated most of the entourage and closed his camp.

"Wladimir said no one can come to the camp except basically me and him," Steward said. "We started over. During the fight, you could see the drama. Two of the knockdowns [I thought] weren't even clean knockdowns, but he was going through emotional drama. A lot of drama and he survived it all and came out in the 12th round and he had Sam Peter out in the 12th round. It was a turning point in his career and life. For the first time nobody believed in him, and winning that fight was a turning point in his life."

Klitschko and Steward have been on a roll since and expect it to continue, although they insist they have great respect for Peter.

"This time it's a different fighter than we saw with Vitali," Steward said. "We saw his last few fights and he's a different fighter. He's 20-something pounds lighter, focused. I think he's a much better fighter."

Peter got the shot when Russia's Alexander Povetkin, the mandatory challenger for more than two years, gave up a payday of more than $2 million that he was entitled to under the purse bid, because his trainer, Teddy Atlas, said he wasn't ready.

Klitschko had already held a press conference to announce the fight with Povetkin, who was a no-show. Peter, the leading available contender in the IBF's rankings, immediately accepted the rematch.

Klitschko remains mystified that Povetkin bailed.

"I've never faced anything like that in my 57 fights," he said. "I never had an issue that the fighter is to be paid over $2 million and everything was set and you can't get him to come over for a press conference or get someone from his management, promoter, coach, somebody from the camp to show up."

When Povetkin declined the fight, Klitschko quickly changed his mindset to facing Peter again.

"I also believe it is interesting to boxing fans to see the second fight," he said. "It's going to be shown on ESPN and lots of sports fans in the U.S. can see the fight. It's better than any other Klitschko fight [we could have done on TV] in the U.S. I think there will be comparisons to the first fight and the knockdowns and the 12th round. Peter is determined. He wants to fight and become a champion. And to stand in the ring in front of 45,000 people, that's something that makes me excited."
[h3]Pacquiao-Margarito undercard[/h3]
box_guillermo_rigondiaux1_sw_576.jpg
Marco Perez for ESPN.com Guillermo Rigondeaux, left, is ready to fight for a title -- in only his seventh pro fight.

The televised undercard for the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito fight Nov. 13 (HBO PPV) at Cowboys Stadium is close to being finalized. Top Rank is putting the finishing touches on three matches, all of which have been agreed to but are not yet signed.

Former middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs), returning from his title loss to Sergio Martinez in April, will face Daniel Edouard (23-3-2, 14 KOs) at a contract weight of 164 pounds in the co-feature, manager Cameron Dunkin told ESPN.com.

"We have a contract ready to go that I'm sending over to Kelly," Dunkin said. "Edouard is in and ready to go, according to Todd [duBoef of Top Rank]. So we're fine. Kelly is looking forward to fighting."

A verbal agreement is in place for Guillermo Rigondeaux (6-0, 5 KOs), the former two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist, to face former titlist Ricardo Cordoba (37-2-2, 23 KOs) for a vacant interim junior featherweight belt in only his seventh professional fight. At 29 and with about 400 amateur fights to his credit, his handlers believe he is ready for the test.

"I think it's going to be his toughest fight to date, but I don't think he'll see anything he's never seen before," said Top Rank matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman. "I think Rigondeaux is capable of competing with top-10 guys because of the amateur experience he had. The only thing that is left unsaid is how will he handle things when he gets into those late rounds, the 10th, 11th, 12th rounds. Is he capable of doing that? But he has Ronnie Shields training him and Ronnie is a helluva trainer and I think he'll have trouble in 12-round fights."

Philadelphia welterweight Mike Jones (22-0, 18 KOs) will open the card against Jesus Soto Karass (24-4-3, 16 KOs), promoter Russell Peltz told ESPN.com. Peltz is in the process of finalizing a co-promotional deal with Top Rank.

"We are fighting Soto-Karass in Dallas," Peltz said. "Nothing has been signed and there are a few long-term issues to discuss, but I have been in touch with [Top Rank's] Carl [Moretti], and Mike is preparing for Nov. 13."
[h3]Alexander-Bradley update[/h3]
box_e_alexanderjab_576.jpg
David Martin Warr Devon Alexander is ready to give fans what they want -- a fight with Timothy Bradley.

While Devon Alexander and manager/trainer Kevin Cunningham have accepted a seven-figure offer from promoter Don King for a Jan. 29 junior welterweight unification fight with Timothy Bradley Jr. on HBO, they're waiting for Bradley to finish his deal with promoter Gary Shaw.

The Alexander side is anxious to get the fight signed, sealed and delivered as it looms as the biggest fight of the first part of next year.

While Shaw waits for Bradley and manager Cameron Dunkin to agree to terms, Cunningham, Alexander and King agreed to their deal in short order.

"The offer could have been better, but this fight is not just about the money," Cunningham said. "Devon wants the opportunity to prove that he is the best at 140, and the only way that happens is to fight Bradley. Devon and Tim are both undefeated world champions. The other so-called top guys at 140 have been knocked out and beat already. The winner of this fight is in the mix with [Floyd] Mayweather, [Manny] Pacquiao and [Shane] Mosley.

"We didn't get what we wanted to get but we struck a deal with Don and give Don credit. He came to us with a fair offer. He made it easy to work out and now we're ready to give the fans the fight they want to see, give HBO the fight it wants and the fight Devon wants, so he can prove he's the best 140-pounder in the world. We've done our part. We've stepped up to the plate and did what we had to do to get this fight done. Devon honestly wants to prove he's the best at 140. We see this is an opportunity. If he handles his business, more money will come."

Alexander, coming off a tight decision against Andriy Kotelnik on Aug. 7, returned to the gym to begin strength training Wednesday.

Dunkin told ESPN.com he and Bradley are close to a deal with Shaw.

"I don't think anything would hold it up now," Dunkin said. "I think we're pretty much ready to go unless Gary wants to argue about something. We're real close."

box_e_yuriorkis-gamboa11_576.jpg
Chris Farina/Top Rank Yuriorkis Gamboa's first line of business: the man standing to his left, Orlando Salido.

Yuriorkis Gamboa, a 2004 Olympic champion, faces Mexico's Orlando Salido in a featherweight unification match on Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET/PT) at The Palms resort in Las Vegas. Sitting ringside with a vested interest in the outcome will be Juan Manuel Lopez, another of the 126-pound titleholders.

Although Gamboa-Salido and Lopez's Nov. 6 title defense against Rafael Marquez are significant in their own right, an eventual match between Gamboa and Lopez looms if they continue to win.

The fighters know it. Top Rank, which promotes both of them, also knows it. It's the reason why Top Rank chief Bob Arum has put them on the same card twice in the past year as he builds toward their showdown.

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4] Don't miss a moment of the latest ....com/ESPNboxing][color=#225db7]Join »[/color][/b]
[/url]

"I'm glad Lopez is coming in," Gamboa said of Lopez, who is traveling from Puerto Rico to attend the fight. "I go to all of his fights. Lopez comes to my fights. He knows where all of this is leading to, me and him in the ring."

Gamboa traveled to Puerto Rico in July to be at Lopez's second-round knockout of Bernabe Concepcion.

"It is a fight that is out there and when Top Rank feels that he is ready to face me, he will face me. In the meantime, all I have to do is beat whoever they put in front of me," Gamboa said.

That means Gamboa (18-0, 15 KOs) has to get through the hard-punching Salido (34-10-2, 22 KOs).

"This is a very important fight because this is an opportunity to prove that I can defeat the champions in this division," said Gamboa, who will be making his fourth defense. "I have worked very hard to become a better professional fighter and I think that it has shown over the last few fights. My defense is better and I am putting my combinations together much better."

Salido claimed his belt with a unanimous decision against countryman Cristobal Cruz in May. He got the fight with Gamboa when the original opponent, titleholder Elio Rojas, withdrew because of a shoulder injury that will sideline him for several months.

"He a very good fighter with a lot of professional experience, but he is not really at my level," Gamboa said of Salido. "My speed and power will be too much for him. I know I need to work very hard to get to the level that I want to be at. I want to one day be considered one of the best fighters not only in the world, but of all time."

In the HBO opener, lightweights Anthony Peterson (30-0, 20 KOs), of Washington, D.C., and Brandon Rios (24-0-1, 18 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., meet in a title eliminator. The winner becomes the mandatory challenger for titleholder Miguel Acosta.

A couple of top rank prospects are also in action on the undercard: 2008 Russian Olympic middleweight Matvey Korobov (11-0, 8 KOs) and Notre Dame graduate Mike Lee (1-0), a light heavyweight from Chicago who is trained by Ronnie Shields.

• Featherweight contender Celestino Caballero, a former unified junior featherweight titlist, has had a hard time finding top-tier fighters willing to face him. While he awaits possible bouts with Yuriorkis Gamboa or Juan Manuel Lopez, he will return Nov. 27 to open an HBO card headlined by the Juan Manuel Marquez-Michael Katsidis lightweight championship fight in Las Vegas, promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com. He'll appear on a Golden Boy card, but DiBella, Golden Boy and HBO worked out a deal for Caballero to appear. He'll face either featherweight Matt Remillard or go to junior lightweight and face Jason Litzau, DiBella said. "Remillard is the leading contender because he is at 126, undefeated and highly ranked by the organizations," DiBella said. "So he's our preference. But Caballero will go to 130 if he has to, but he prefers 126 because wants to fight the Lopez-Rafael Marquez winner or the Gamboa-(Orlando) Salido winner." Welterweight titlist Andre Berto, whom DiBella also promotes, may also land on the card and face mandatory Selcuk Aydin, which would extend the HBO telecast to a tripleheader.

• Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer said he's extended offers to junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan and interim titlist Marcos Maidana in the hopes finalizing a Dec. 11 HBO fight. But he's having a hard time sewing up the deal because Maidana, unhappy with the talks, has asked the WBA to call a purse bid. "I made an offer to both parties and I have been in communication with Amir's attorney and told them Maidana is pushing for a purse bid," Schaefer said. "The Khans have not responded to the offer yet. They want to evaluate it." One of the things they'll do, Schaefer said, is run the numbers and see if it makes more sense to have the fight in Khan's native England or come to the U.S., where Las Vegas and Detroit are possible sites. Schaefer said if Victor Ortiz defeats Vivian Harris on Sept. 18, he would open the Dec. 11 telecast. On another front, Schaefer said lightweight Robert Guerrero (27-1-1, 18 KOs), ticketed to fight on Golden Boy's Nov. 6 HBO card, probably will face 2004 U.S. Olympian Vicente Escobedo (22-2, 14 KOs), who is also with Golden Boy. Schaefer also said that the Jürgen Brahmer-Librado Andrade light heavyweight title bout he was working on for the Dec. 18 Jean Pascal-Bernard Hopkins undercard wouldn't happen because Brahmer's legal problems in Germany make him unavailable.

• Manny Pacquiao is dedicating his fight with Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 (HBO PPV) to John Arum and the entire Arum family. John Arum, 49, the son of Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, died last week while hiking in North Cascades National Park, north of Seattle. "John was an (environmental) lawyer who fought for the people, the same way I fight for the people of the Philippines," Pacquiao said. "Bob Arum is my promoter and my friend. I want to do this for the entire Arum family." Pacquiao has returned to the Philippines from last week's media tour and will train there with Freddie Roach for most of his camp before returning to Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif., to finish his training for the fight, which is for a vacant junior middleweight title. If Pacquiao wins, he'll collect a title in a record-extending eighth weight division.

• Lightweight titlist Humberto Soto's second defense is set after some date changes. Soto (52-7-2, 32 KOs) meets Colombia's Fidel Monterrosa (23-1, 18 KO) on Sept. 18 on "Top Rank Live" (FS en Espanol) in Culiacan, Mexico on a card that also features Mexican countrymen Jorge Arce (55-6-1, 42 KOs) in the main event and hometown fighter Omar Chavez, the son of the great Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. "I can say very little about my opponent, but his record indicates that he is a good fighter and obviously a dangerous contender," said Soto, who hopes to eventually challenge for a junior welterweight belt. "But here we are, ready for everything. They will have to kill me to take my belt from me." Soto could also defend his title against Marco Antonio Barrera, a match Top Rank has said it plans to make next year. Arce won a junior bantamweight belt in January but vacated without defending it to move up to junior featherweight, where has had his last two fights. He'll face former flyweight titlist Lorenzo Parra (31-2, 18 KOs) of Venezuela in the main event in a junior featherweight title eliminator. Chavez (23-0-1, 16 KOs) meets Rodrigo Juarez (15-11-1, 11 KOs) in a welterweight match.

• Rather than accept a purse bid that would have paid him about $40,000 to fight a title eliminator in Germany against Yohan Pablo Hernandez, American cruiserweight contender B.J. Flores instead will fight Danny Green (30-3, 27 KOs) on Nov. 17 in Australia for $225,000. They'll meet in Perth, Green's hometown. Flores (24-0-1, 15 KOs), idle since August 2009, was in Australia this week for the kickoff news conference. "This feels like Christmas has come a little early this year," said Flores, whose promotional deal with Roy Jones' Square Ring recently expired. "I have finally gotten the fight he has been craving. I am looking forward to finally getting an opportunity to face a top fighter. This is a fight I have wanted for a long time. I hope I'm the underdog. I hope everyone picks against me so when I completely destroy him I will get more opportunities to face top fighters. This will be a life changing fight for me. This will be my coming out party."

• Junior featherweight titlist Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.'s second defense is set for Oct. 16 (Integrated Sports PPV, $34.95). Vazquez (19-0-1, 16 KOs), the son of the former three-division titlist, will face former junior bantamweight titleholder Ivan "Choko" Hernandez (27-4-1, 17 KOs) of Mexico. Hernandez has won two in a row since being stopped in the third round by Toshiaki Nishioka in Japan in a title bout 11 months ago. They'll meet at Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee, Fla., an Orlando suburb where Vazquez has fought 13 times and developed a fan following.

• Strawweight titlist Roman Gonzalez (26-0, 22 KOs) of Nicaragua will move up in weight and challenge junior flyweight titlist Juan Carlos Reveco (25-1, 15 KOs) of Argentina, Teiken Promotions' Akihiko Honda announced. They'll meet Oct. 24 in Tokyo on the undercard of Toshiaki Nishioka's junior featherweight title defense against British challenger Rendall Munroe. Former junior lightweight and featherweight titlist Jorge Linares also fights on the card against former junior lightweight and lightweight titleholder Jesus Chavez in a lightweight fight.

• Light heavyweight titlist Beibut Shumenov (10-1, 6 KOs) retained his title in lopsided fashion when he easily outpointed previously unbeaten mandatory challenger Vyacheslav Uzelkov on ESPN2 on July 23. Now, Shumenov, who represented his native Kazakhstan in the 2004 Olympics and now lives in Las Vegas, is eyeing a unification bout. "I want a unification fight next," he said. "I'm ready to fight any of the other champions now. (Jean) Pascal and (Tavoris) Cloud are both good champions and I'd love to fight either one. Throw in world champion Jürgen Brahmer, too. My goal is to unify the titles. I have a lot of respect for all of the other champions but I want their titles."

• Golden Boy signed junior middleweight prospect Mikael Zewski (4-0, 3 KOs), 21, who becomes the company's Canadian fighter. "With packed arenas and some of the game's most exciting fighters emerging from around the country, the Canadian boxing market is exploding," Golden Boy's Oscar De La Hoya said. "We believe we have one of those exciting fighters in Mikael and we're expecting big things from him in the coming years." Zewski, of Quebec, was a four-time Canadian national champion and 138-29 in the amateurs. He's managed by Cameron Dunkin.
[h3]QUOTABLE[/h3]
"No disrespect to the young kid. I think it's wonderful that he's my mandatory. I'll go to Mexico and they can use Julio Sr. and Julio Jr.'s mom as two of the judges, because it still won't matter." -- middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, mocking the WBC's decision to name Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. his mandatory challenger for a fight that it has ordered to take place after Martinez makes an optional defense in the fall

"No disrespect to the young kid. I think it's wonderful that he's my mandatory. I'll go to Mexico and they can use Julio Sr. and Julio Jr.'s mom as two of the judges, because it still won't matter." -- middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, mocking the WBC's decision to name Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. his mandatory challenger for a fight that it has ordered to take place after Martinez makes an optional defense in the fall

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Where art thou Punisher?

Back
Top Bottom