2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

According to sources who are close to the negotiations, the proposed junior welterweight unification between Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander, which is scheduled for the tentative date of January 29 on HBO, is in serious jeopardy of falling apart.

BoxingScene.com spoke to multiple parties with knowledge of the ongoing situation. There appears to be an internal dispute taking place between Bradley and his promoter Gary Shaw.

Bradley's promotional contract with Shaw is reportedly set to expire in May 2011. In order to finalize the deal for the Alexander fight, Shaw wants Bradley to sign a contract extension. However, Bradley is refusing to sign the contract extension because he wants to explore his options and review potential offers from other promoters.

There are no outstanding issues between Shaw and Bradley. The entire situation comes down to normal business practices. Like any athlete with a contract set to expire, Bradley wants to see which party, including Shaw, is going to provide him with best possible offer.

In the case of Shaw, he wants to protect himself by securing one of his star fighters, and preventing a competitor from snatching him away. Nobody can blame Shaw for taking this position. Shaw, along with Thompson Boxing, built Bradley up, but at the same time Bradley does have the right to explore his options in order to maximize his earning potential. The situation is similar, and some people may call it identical, to Bradley's recent network jump from Showtime to HBO, because the earning potential and fight possibilities were better on the other side of the fence.

There have been industry rumblings that Bradley has been in contact with Golden Boy Promotions about a potential future working relationship. Sources close to Golden Boy, and Bradley's team, have denied the rumblings. BoxingScene was informed that Shaw sent a letter to Golden Boy advising them that Bradley was still under contract and to cease any possible communications between the two parties.

LOS ANGELES -- In a year in which so many fights that boxing fans have wanted to see have not been made -- Manny Pacquiao against Floyd Mayweather, for example -- one of them is being delivered.

Junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan and interim titlist Marcos Maidana have reached agreement to meet on Dec. 11, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who promotes both of them, told ESPN.com Wednesday.The HBO-televised fight will take place at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

"We came to an agreement [Tuesday] night. Khan is on board. Maidana is on board and I am finalizing everything with Mandalay Bay," Schaefer said outside of Staples Center during a news conference promoting Saturday night's Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora HBO PPV card.

[h4]Rafael's Boxing Blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

It had been a hard negotiation with Khan preferring to fight in his native England and Maidana, of Argentina, wanting to fight on neutral ground in the United States. Schaefer said Maidana was willing to go England for a bigger payday, but Khan was unwilling to accommodate that.

So under the threat of a WBA-ordered purse bid on Sept. 21, which Maidana had asked for due to their impasse, the fight was finally agreed to.

"Amir wanted to have this fight in the U.K. and Maidana wanted the fight to be in the United States, but we worked on things and I was informed by Amir's lawyer that he would fight in the U.S.," Schaefer said. "There was some urgency for us to make a deal because of the purse bid coming up, but now we have a deal and I will inform the WBA that the fighters have reached agreement."

Had the fight gone to a purse bid, any promoter registered with the WBA could have won control of the fight, which Golden Boy did not want to happen, nor did Khan, who would have been entitled to 55 percent of the winning bid with 45 percent going to Maidana.

"We worked it out financially where everyone was happy," Schaefer said. "It was a difficult fight to put together but this was the fight I kept hearing from fans and media that they wanted to see. Golden Boy made some concessions and we got the fight done."

"I want this fight and the fans want to see this fight," said Khan, who had called Schaefer's cell phone from England and spoke to ESPN.com. "It's two explosive styles meeting up. It's the explosive puncher [Maidana] against the quick and explosive boxer. They say Maidana has a style to beat a boxer, so let's see how good he is. Maidana wants to stop me from having my legacy, but that is not going to happen. But let him try."

Khan, who will be making his third defense, will get at least $1.5 million, plus revenue from the television rights in the United Kingdom. Maidana will earn $550,000 plus an undisclosed bump if he wins the fight.

Khan (23-1, 17 KOs), 23, won an Olympic silver medal in 2004. In 2009, Khan claimed a 140-pound world title by easily out-boxing Andriy Kotelnik, who had handed Maidana his only loss, a decision, in the fight before losing the title to Khan.

Khan's first defense was a 76-second demolition of mandatory challenger Dmitriy Salita in December. In May, Khan made his American debut with a dominant 11th-round knockout of Paulie Malignaggi in New York, Malignaggi's hometown.

Khan said he has no problem coming back to the U.S. to fight Maidana.

"I'm coming to fight him where he wants to fight. But I want this fight, so I am going where he wants to fight," Khan said. "That's how much I want this fight."

Maidana (29-1, 27 KOs), 27, stopped Victor Ortiz in the sixth round in June 2009 to claim the interim belt. He's defended it three times, including a difficult decision win against former titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley in Argentina on Aug. 28.

Schaefer said a second televised bout will be added to the card. He said it could involve Ortiz, if he wins his fight with Vivian Harris on Saturday's Mosley-Mora undercard. Another possibility, Schaefer said, could be a match involving fast-rising middleweight Gennady Golovkin, who is promoted by Universum, Golden Boy's partner on Maidana's contract.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter @danrafaelespn.

BoxingScene.com has been advised by sources in Mexico that if Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. doesn't face Miguel Cotto on December 4, Top Rank is considering a possible move to split the two fighters into separate bouts on the same date in Atlantic City.

Cotto would defend his WBA junior middleweight title in the main event. One possible name being kicked around for Cotto is former welterweight champion Kermit Cintron. The name being mentioned as a possible opponent for Chavez Jr. is Pawel Wolak, who was scheduled to fight Chavez in September before their fight fell through.

Cotto vs. Chavez began to have problems when the Mexican star refused to train with Freddie Roach in the Philippines, where Roach is going to train Manny Pacquiao for his scheduled fight with Antonio Margarito on November 13.

According to Carl Moretti, Vice President for Top Rank, his company would "absolutley" entertain a potential fight between unbeaten WBA featherweight champions Chris John and Yuriorkis Gamboa. The WBA recently ordered John, the "champion in recess," and Gamboa, the "super champion" at the weight, to fight within 120 days or the fight will head to a purse bid.

Top Rank promotes Gamboa, and their business rival Golden Boy Promotions handle the career of John. The rift between the promotional companies will not prevent the fight from happening. Gamboa (19-0, 15 KOs) vs. John (43-0-2, 22 KOs) would likely be the Cuban fighter's last bout before a planned meeting with WBO champion Juan Manuel Lopez, who faces Rafael Marquez on November 6.

"We have no problem fighting the guy, Chris John, but you need a date to fight him on. So, that's really the thing that we're looking at is when is the next time that Gamboa could be on HBO," said Moretti.

"I think that would determine a little bit more what our position would be on Chris John. It's absolutely a fight that we would entertain. But for Gamboa and John, we're actually waiting for the WBA to give us some resolution as to timing. We'd love to fight Chris John."

There have been some comments from WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez about a possible unification with WBA/IBF champion Yuriorkis Gamboa in early 2011. Juanma's co-promoter, Peter Rivera of Puerto Rico Best Boxing, says the fight is likely for the month of June in New York City, around the time of the popular Puerto Rican Day Parade.

Rivera has been in contact with Juanma's other co-promoter Top Rank, and they have discussed the course of action to create the fight with Gamboa. Juanma is scheduled to fight Rafael Marquez on November 6. If Juanma retains his title, Rivera says he would return to the ring in a potential February doubleheader in Puerto Rico. Gamboa would appear in the co-headliner. The doubleheader would be the final showcase for both before a June meeting.

"This is the plan that we've had from the beginning. Even Juanma has long known about this. We want people to have the chance to see them both on a card before they fight in June. It's a big fight and it makes sense to have one show in Puerto Rico and then go to New York in June," Rivera told Carlitos Narvaez.

LOS ANGELES -- Shane Mosley and Sergio Mora, both Southern California natives, have experienced great moments in their careers at the Staples Center.

In the first main event in arena history, Mosley outpointed Oscar De La Hoya, now his good friend and promotional partner with Golden Boy, to win the welterweight title in their 2000 classic. Nine years later, Mosley returned and stunned the boxing world with his unexpected -- and unexpectedly easy -- ninth-round knockout of Antonio Margarito, who was caught with loaded hand wraps before the fight, to regain a welterweight title.

In 2005, Mora won the first season of "The Contender" reality show and the $1 million grand prize on NBC by defeating Peter Manfredo Jr. in Las Vegas. They had an immediate rematch in their first post-"Contender" fight at Staples Center five months later, and Mora edged him again on a split decision.

"It's always good to come back home and do some fights, especially at the Staples Center," Mosley said. "Being that Sergio Mora is from East L.A., he likes fighting at home as well. So this is going to be a night where both fighters have had great successes at the Staples Center."

http:///sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5582901&story=5582887">http://sports.espn.go.com...582901&...idth=640,height=550,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=5582887#">[+] Enlarge
box_g_mosley_300.jpg

Donald Miralle/Getty ImagesShane Mosley, right, has a history of delivering in big fights at Staples Center.

But, barring a draw, only one of them will leave the ring with another fond memory and big fight in front of him. The loser's career will take a massive hit following their junior middleweight fight Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET, $44.95) in the main event of Golden Boy's Mexican bicentennial celebration card.

Mosley, who is 39 and coming off a one-sided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May, is fighting to remain relevant. Given his age and recent performance, a victory is almost mandatory for him to continue to get any sort of meaningful, lucrative fights. And Mosley -- who is moving back up to junior middleweight, where he used to be champion -- has aspirations to fight Manny Pacquiao and have rematches with Mayweather and Miguel Cotto, who beat him in 2007.

Even with a win, that slate is unlikely. With a loss, forget it. Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs), a former three-division champion, knows he has a tough task in front of him against the naturally bigger and taller Mora.

[h4]200: Celebrate and Dominate[/h4]
TV lineup for the Golden Boy-promoted Mexican bicentennial card Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET, $44.95) at Staples Center in Los Angeles:

• Junior middleweights: Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs) vs. Sergio Mora (21-1-1, 6 KOs), 12 rounds

• Junior middleweights: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (33-0-1, 25 KOs) vs. Carlos Baldomir (45-12-6, 14 KOs), 10 rounds

• Junior welterweights: Victor Ortiz (27-2-1, 21 KOs) vs. Vivian Harris (29-4-1, 19 KOs), 10 rounds

• Featherweights: Daniel Ponce De Leon (39-2, 32 KOs) vs. Antonio Escalante (23-2, 15 KOs), 12 rounds, title eliminator

"Yes, it could be a setback," Mosley said of losing. "Some fans take it for granted that this guy is a little bigger. He's also fast. He works very hard. He's a competitor. He loves to win. He only lost one time, and that's to Vernon Forrest, in his whole career. So he can fight. So I think people are mistaken and thinking that it's just going to be a walk in the park when it's really not.

"I have to get past Sergio Mora. I thank him for taking the fight and accepting the challenge. This guy is not someone to take lightly. He beat Vernon Forrest. I never beat the late, great Vernon Forrest. He is a competitor and he comes to win."

Three years after his "Contender" victory, Mora (21-1-1, 6 KOs) became the first alumni of the show to win a world title, outpointing Forrest -- who twice defeated a prime Mosley -- to claim a junior middleweight belt. But Mora could not keep the momentum going. He lost to Forrest in their rematch three months later and has fought only once since, a win at middleweight in May in his first fight since signing with Golden Boy and hooking up with manager Cameron Dunkin.

A win over a fighter with Mosley's fame and résumé; would surely give Mora the career boost he's been looking for. Losing, he said, is not part of the plan.

"When do I have the leisure of a loss? I think when you're talking to a fighter, they're always scared to death to lose," said Mora, 29. "They have a lot of pride and they don't want that embarrassment. Nothing else matters but to win. It's a must-win. Every fight for me is a must-win. Whenever things go well for me in camp I have no excuses like I did for this camp, I really feel that I can beat the best. So this is just another opportunity for me to prove that."

Said Mosley, "Sergio has added pressure because he feels that he has to prove to the world that he is somebody."

Mora grew up a Mosley fan and has shown respect for him throughout the promotion, but he is also confident of victory.

"Sugar Shane Mosley is someone I respect and someone I value outside of the ring. He is a legend," Mora said. "I am fighting another Hall of Famer. He has everything behind him. He has the experience, the power and the chin. He has never been knocked out and he is undefeated at Staples Center. He is the real deal."

But?

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4] [b]Don't miss a moment of the late...PNboxing][color=#225db7][b]Join »[/b][/color]
[/url]

"The stars are aligning for something special to happen on Saturday," Mora said. "It is fate, faith and destiny. People don't believe in destiny, they believe in luck. If you believe in luck, go live in Las Vegas. This is my time, and I am finally with a promoter [Golden Boy] that believes in me. When you leave Staples Center, you're going to say '[Fernando] Vargas couldn't [beat Mosley]. De La Hoya couldn't do it. Margarito couldn't do it, but Sergio Mora did it.' It takes more than speed, experience and guts to beat Mosley, and I know I have what it takes."

One of the things Mora and trainer Dean Campos said they have done during training is forget about Mosley's poor performance against Mayweather, whom he hurt badly in the second round -- but he let the moment escape and lost the rest of the fight in non-competitive fashion.

"I don't think age caught up to him," Campos said. "I just think that the inactivity [and] the style that Mayweather has is a frustrating style. Mosley likes to fight and Floyd is the type of guy that takes the fight out of the fighter. He's constantly throwing water on you every time you want to start a fire. I think it's frustrating for a guy like Mosley. I'm not saying that he's not a smart fighter, because he is, but he's a very aggressive thinking fighter and Mayweather is just the opposite. He just feeds off of the little weaknesses you have and he fights in those small little spaces and he throws you off the game.

"That could happen to anybody. … We're going to see that one where he fought against Margarito. That's the guy we're going to see."

Campos said rather than dwelling on Mosley's fight with Mayweather, he's been studying some of Mosley's fights when he was in his prime.

"The Mayweather fight, that's the one I study the least," he said. "I look at all his younger days and when he was 28, 29, 30 and he was beating guys like Oscar. Those are the guys I look at, and I sort of look at what he does. I'm impressed with what I see, and hopefully we can defuse him a little bit and do some things that he's not too comfortable with."

Mosley looked lethargic and could not get off his punches after the second round, when he had Mayweather badly hurt. Mosley said he had a neck problem in that fight and vowed that if he gets Mora in the same position, he will end the fight this time.

"With the Floyd fight, it wasn't that I was tired," Mosley said. "It was just that my neck was a little tight and I couldn't throw any more punches like I wanted to. If I'm fighting the second round and I make it to the 12th round, then that says that I obviously wasn't that tired. I just got a little tight, and I couldn't throw the punches like I wanted to. I can assure you that that won't happen again."

[h1]
[h1]Quick hits: Cotto's next fight, more

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive [/h1]

box_a_cotto_sy_576.jpg
AP Photo/Mary AltafferQuestions abound: Miguel Cotto has a date but no opponent or even a definite venue for his next fight.

• Top Rank has Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., on hold for a Dec. 4 Miguel Cotto fight on HBO PPV vice president Carl Moretti told ESPN.com, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will fight there. Cotto could fight at New York's Madison Square Garden. "Atlantic City is a strong possibility, but we haven't made a final decision," Moretti said. "We're going to know shortly." Cotto's opponent is also up in the air. The junior middleweight titlist was being lined up to make his first defense against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., but that bout has lost steam. It could still happen, but likely not until 2011. Moretti said Top Rank boss Bob Arum was due to meet with Chavez and co-promoter Fernando Beltran to discuss the possibilities. One of the issues is Chavez's training schedule. He is trained by Freddie Roach, who will train Manny Pacquiao for the next month or so in the Philippines as he prepares to face Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 and Chavez elected not to go with them. Chavez could land on the Dec. 4 undercard against Pawel Wolak, whom he was scheduled to fight in September before pulling out.

If Cotto doesn't face Chavez in December, former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron, now a junior middleweight, is a possibility. Moretti and Top Rank boss Bob Arum have both discussed the fight with Cintron promoter Lou DiBella. "Cintron is definitely one of the names we've thrown around. It's a good fight in the ring," Moretti said, noting that big-name opponents for Cotto are hard to come by because he's already fought most of them. The Cintron side is interested. "I still need to have a more specific discussion with Top Rank, but if it's real, there's no way in the world Cintron would pass up this opportunity," DiBella said. Cintron is coming off a quirky technical decision loss to Paul Williams in May in which Cintron fell out of the ring and did not continue.

• Former light heavyweight champ Antonio Tarver's heavyweight debut against Nagy Aguilera on Oct. 15 (Showtime) will likely take place in McAllen, Texas. Opening the Gary Shaw-promoted card will be hot prospect Shawn Porter (16-0, 12 Kos). He has been fighting at junior middleweight but is a bit undersized for the division, so he's going down to welterweight to fight a 10-rounder against an opponent to be named. Also on the card, but not on television, is former junior welterweight titlist Kendall Holt (25-4, 13 KOs), who is scheduled to face an opponent to be determined at 144 pounds. Holt, idle since February, has lost two in a row, a title unification match against Timothy Bradley Jr. followed by a sixth-round TKO loss in a major upset to Kaizer Mabuza.

• Featherweight titlist Chris John's twice-postponed defense against Argentina's Fernando Saucedo (38-4-3, 1 KO) has been rescheduled for Dec. 1 in Jakarta, Indonesia, (John's home country) adviser Sampson Lewkowicz told ESPN.com. The fight was originally scheduled for May, but John (43-0-2, 22 KOs) postponed it because of a shoulder injury. A rib injury in July forced it to be delayed again. This time it seems John is ready to fight. "We have signed contracts with the venue and sponsors and opponent," Lewkowicz said. However, the WBA is threatening the fight because it ordered John to face Yuriorkis Gamboa, who the WBA also recognizes as a titleholder. The WBA ordered the winner of last week's Gamboa-Orlando Salido unification match to face John within 120 days. Gamboa won, but Lewkowicz said, "We never agreed to fight the winner in that time frame. We need to honor our contract with Saucedo and we will request that the WBA allow us to honor our word. We will fight Saucedo and then we'd love to fight Gamboa next, in February or March. If we can't make an agreement with Gamboa, we go to purse bid." It would be a 55-45 split in John's favor if there was a purse bid. Moretti of Top Rank, Gamboa's co-promoter, said the company welcomes a fight with John. "We're happy to do that fight, we just need a date to do it on," he said. "We need to talk to HBO and see when they want Gamboa back on. I would imagine early next year. If that's the case, we could make the fight with John, but we also need to know the WBA's position."

• It looks more and more like Celestino Caballero, the featherweight contender nobody wants to fight, will move up to junior lightweight to face Jason Litzau on the Juan Manuel Marquez-Michael Katsidis HBO undercard in Las Vegas on Nov. 27. Lou DiBella, Caballero's promoter, said he has a deal with Square Ring's John Wirt, Litzau's promoter. Caballero preferred to fight at featherweight but several potential opponents didn't work out. Jonathan Barros, who hurt titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa in a decision loss to him in March, was dropped over issues related to ownership of television rights in his native Argentina. Matt Remillard was on the short list, but that didn't work out because of problems between him and his promoter. Since the fight is on a Golden Boy card, there was talk of a match with undefeated prospect Carlos Velasquez, but that went nowhere because Golden Boy and DiBella couldn't work out an option agreement. "Caballero would prefer to fight in his own division, but if he can't, he will go up and fight Litzau," DiBella said. "One thing I know -- that's a good fight and a test for both guys."

• Golden Boy has interest in signing former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, who once railed against the company for his treatment during promotion for his first fight with Golden Boy's Juan Diaz. "Paulie talked to [Golden Boy executive] Dave [Itskowitch]," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said. "[Signing him] has crossed my mind but we haven't done a deal. It's something I would be interested in for the right deal. I don't know what Paulie wants to do." Malignaggi and Itskowitch have a longstanding relationship dating back to when Itskowitch was the right-hand man for DiBella, who promoted Malignaggi his entire career until they split during the summer. Schaefer said Malignaggi was planning to attend Saturday's Golden Boy-promoted Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora card at Staples Center in Los Angeles, but as a fan and not because they have any meetings scheduled. Malignaggi, who plans to move up to welterweight, is coming off a May loss to junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan, who is with Golden Boy. Malignaggi is a New Yorker and could fit in with Golden Boy, which recently announced a three-year deal to promote monthly cards at the Barclays Center in Malignaggi's home town of Brooklyn. The arena, the new home of the New Jersey Nets, is due to open in 2012.

• Top Rank's rising junior featherweight prospect Roberto Marroquin (15-0, 12 KOs) will fight Carlos Oliveira (25-2, 19 KOs) on the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito undercard at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Nov. 13. Marroquin, who is from Dallas, was also on Pacquiao's undercard there in March. Marroquin, 21, is looking for a new trainer ahead of the fight. His manager, Lou Mesorana, told ESPN.com that Marroquin has decided to leave trainer Roach. "We tried Freddie and it just didn't work out," Mesorana said. "Freddie is a great strategist and great on the mitts, but he just didn't have the time Roberto needed. We liked it there, [at Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif.] but we need a trainer to really work with him more and Freddie didn't have the time." Other than a new trainer, Mesorana said he is bringing on experienced manager Gary Gittelsohn as his co-manager.

• Junior middleweight prospect Glen Tapia (7-0, 5 KOs) is getting a big opportunity. The Passaic, N.J., fighter has been enlisted to serve as a main sparring partner to help Pacquiao get ready for his Nov. 13 fight with Margarito. Tapia, 20, previously helped Yuri Foreman and Joshua Clottey prepare for their fights with Cotto. "I feel excited," Tapia said. "It's a great opportunity for me to not only see how one of the greatest boxers of all time trains and fights, but to be there and actually experience it for myself. This experience will give me the knowledge and confidence to hopefully be one the greatest boxers, as well. It's truly an honor to go to the Philippines. I can't wait to see the culture, their way of life and interact with their wonderful people." Tapia has been with his trainer, Mikey Skowronski, at Roach's Wild Card Gym, getting to know Roach a bit before he and Roach head to the Philippines on Friday for the start of camp. Pat Lynch, Tapia's co-manager with Sal Alessi, worked with Top Rank's Moretti and Brad "Abdul" Goodman along with Pacquiao adviser Mike Koncz to set it up. "It's a tremendous opportunity for Glen to work with such an amazing fighter like Pacquiao," Lynch said.

• Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer said the company has signed lightweight prospect Sharif Bogere (16-0, 10 KOs). The 21-year-old, who is originally from Uganda but lives outside of Las Vegas, will fight on Saturday night's Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora undercard.

Quotable

"Meaningful match-ups with high stakes in boxing's most competitive divisions -- that's our promise to boxing fans. I hold these four world championship competitors in the highest regard for taking the fights that the fans want to see; for risking their status as one of the world's best to prove they are the sole champion in the division. When you consistently fight and defeat the best, you deserve to be recognized as such." -- Showtime's Ken Hershman, in formally announcing the network's four-man bantamweight tournament that begins Dec. 11. The semifinals feature Yonnhy Perez defending his belt in a rematch against Joseph Agbeko and Abner Mares facing Vic Darchinyan in Leon, Mexico.
[/h1]

box_a_tomasz_576.jpg
Ed Mulholland/US PresswireTomasz Adamek, left, proved he can hang with the big boys by taking out Michael Grant.

• Heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek's fight with brawler Vinny Maddalone (33-6, 24 KOs) will take place Dec. 9 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Main Events promoter Kathy Duva told ESPN.com. Although the fight had already been agreed to, the date and venue remained up in the air. Duva had hoped to have it at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., on Dec. 4. However, Duva said that plan fell through because Top Rank had reserved the arena for a possible Miguel Cotto fight on the same date, forcing her to move. Adamek (42-1, 27 KOs) has been drawing large crowds at the Prudential Center in recent fights, including close to 11,000 for his win against Michael Grant there last month, because of his passionate Polish fan base. However, the arena does not have any Saturday nights available for the rest of the year, so Duva is going to go on a Thursday, a far less popular day for boxing, although Adamek did defend the cruiserweight title against Steve Cunningham on a Thursday when Versus used to air monthly fights on that night. Adamek-Maddalone will be available on pay-per-view, Duva said.

• Fresh off his 10th-round demolition of Samuel Peter in their rematch last week, heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KOs) will make a third defense this year. Manager Bernd Boente told ESPN.com that Klitschko would be back in action Dec. 11 in Germany. It will be Klitschko's 10th title defense, although there is no set opponent yet, Boente said. A shoulder injury limited Klitschko to just one fight in 2009. He returned in March to dominate Eddie Chambers en route to a 12th-round knockout of the year candidate before facing Peter.

• Junior welterweight prospect Danny Garcia, 22, will face his most notable opponent to date when he meets Mike Arnaoutis (22-6-2, 10 KOs) on Oct. 8 in the main event of Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo Tecate." They'll meet in the scheduled 10-rounder in Philadelphia, Garcia's hometown. Garcia (18-0, 12 KOs), one of Golden Boy's most promising prospects, will be fighting in his hometown for the third time, all since December. "I'm very excited to give my home town another great show and put the city of Philadelphia back on the boxing map," Garcia said. "I'm very excited to be fighting Mike and after this win, all the top junior welterweights in the world will [know] Danny 'Swift' Garcia is for real." Arnaoutis, 31, a former world title challenger, has fought many top opponents, but has fallen on hard times, losing four of his last five.

• Tim Coleman (17-1-1, 4 KOs) will face Patrick Lopez (20-2, 12 KOs) in a 12-round junior welterweight bout Oct. 1 at the Chumash resort in Santa Ynez, Calif., in the "ShoBox" main event. Opening the broadcast in an eight-round lightweight fight, Archie Ray Marquez (10-0, 7 KOs) faces Juan Santiago (13-4-1, 8 KOs).

Quotable

"One 'Vicious' must go." -- junior welterweight contender Victor Ortiz, who shares the nickname "Vicious" with Vivian Harris, whom he fights on Saturday night's Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora HBO PPV undercard

Quotable

"Victor, make sure we don't get a head butt, because you might quit with a head butt," -- former junior welterweight titlist Harris, taunting Ortiz by referring to him quitting during a fight with Marcos Maidana at Staples Center in Los Angeles, site of their fight on Saturday night

Went out to a bar/lounge last night in Hollywood which happened to be right under Wildcard gym

I pulled up to park already buzzed and was
eek.gif
laugh.gif
when I saw where I was at.

Walked up there and met that homeless half blind short white guy who lives there... seemed pretty hammered himself.. told me he got banned for life from the bar I was going to "Three Clubs" which was downstairs because he fought a few dudes one night. Begged me to convince them to let him back in
laugh.gif

A lot of buzz going around that win or lose Mosley should retire...saying his tongue is already thick and when he gets interviewed he takes a long time to put his thoughts together and it has gotten worse over the last year...

Back
Top Bottom