2011 another great year for college football

Are you guys basing your award choices on perception or production/reality.

Justin Blackmon didn't have the season I expected, he wasn't as dominant as last year. Blietnekoff is a tough award, wouldn't give it to Woods either, he was banged up at the tail end of the season, dominant first half though.

Freshman, got to pick Lee over Watkins, eerily similar numbers. Lee's second half run was just insane, played big in big games down the stretch.

RGIII for Heisman, my goodness. He plays for Baylor,
laugh.gif
. 8-4, not even top 15. it's a factor *shrugs*

Originally Posted by IYE2

I'm really excited to see what he does with Miller and stoneburner the te.
apparently cinci is showing interest in Luke fickell..
butch getting fired?

Justin Blackmon was dominant. It doesnt effect me, if he was better last year.

Watkins/Lee. one was the go to guy on a team with Tahj Boyd at QB, the other was the complimentary WR and had Matt Barkely

Originally Posted by dreClark

Of course you'd pick Lee over Watkins
laugh.gif

I'm surprised he didn't suggest Curtis McNeal for the Doak Walker
laugh.gif

On the real though Lee was one of the most dynamic receivers out there over the last several weeks of the season. 

Cardo, 5 bucks paypal bet on Aghlor. If he doest sign with either the bet is nullified, deal?

The frosh of the year argument should probably include Mamba too, but even with how Sammy started off the year damn its hard to deny the last few games Marqise had. The kid had damn near 600 all purpose yards in his last 2 games. That said Sammy really looked like a man amongst boys early on in the year especially. I think he gets it, but all 3 should be 1st team freshman AA.

I really dont know who they are giving the Heisman too, just like the year Ingram won (Toby) Trent wasnt the best back in the country this year and I would vote Monty Ball ahead of him. I think RG3 should probably win it but dont think he will. Andrew was the shoe in but he really has been outplayed by Barkley down the stretch. Tuff call.

If Robert wasnt hurt all year he would win in a landslide, and im a huge Justin Blackmon fan too.

[h2]So who is the real number two?[/h2]
Posted on: November 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Edited on: November 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Score: 132

Log-in to rate:

numb2banner.png

Posted by Tom Fornelli

There's an inherent flaw in the way we determine the champion in college football. When you let human beings decide which teams are the best, you allow our emotions and opinions to become involved in the process. Making matters worse, we're all pretty stubborn when it comes to how we think and feel about a certain subject.

I knew a kid in college who would only drink Mr. Pibb and refused to drink Dr. Pepper. They're the same thing. The only difference between the two is that Dr. Pepper has more student loans to pay off and has a real good time beneath underpasses. When I'd ask my friend why he insisted on drinking Mr. Pibb over Dr. Pepper he said that Mr. Pibb just tasted better.

Which is a lie, because they taste the same, but in his mind Mr. Pibb was better. He had that preconcieved notion, possibly from having it in the house as a child, and there was nothing that could happen to convince him otherwise.

It's a lot like how we view college football teams. There's a group of people who feel that Alabama is the second-best team in the country, and no matter what arguments you make on another team's behalf, that opinion's not changing. There are groups of people that feel the exact same way about Oklahoma State, Stanford, or Virginia Tech. No matter what you say to them, they're already convinced that one of these teams is the team that deserves to face LSU for a BCS title, and you won't change their mind.

Which got me to thinking around 2am on Saturday night/Sunday morning. What if there was a way to present a team's case without a person knowing who that team was? If I remove the names of the schools, I'm removing the bias. All a fan can see is "Team X" not Alabama, not Oklahoma State, not Conference USA, none of that. Just the letter "X" and some numbers.

So I decided to take a look at six different schools and compare them in five separate categories to get a better idea of who the better team really is. I'd like to share this data with all of you and then have you vote on which team you think is the team that should be playing LSU based on the numbers you see. There is no right answer, there is no wrong answer. It's still opinion, but what I've done is I've stripped any possible biases you may already have.

Here's the chart.

postgraph.png

Now here's an explanation of the chart.

Top 20 W - This is the number of wins each team has against a team currently ranked in the top 20 of the Sagarin rankings, which are used as part of the BCS formula. Though I used Sagarin's Predictor formula, not the formula he has to use for BCS which removes point differential.

Top 40 W - This is the number of wins each team has against a team currently ranked in the top 40 of the Sagarin rankings.

Opp. Win % - Exactly what it looks like, the combined winning percentage of every FBS team each team has played. It's important to note that I did not count the games against that particular team. So for example, Team E's opponents had a .479 winning percentage in game not against Team E.

Av. Point Diff. - This is the average point differential in each team's games against FBS opponents. In other words, how many points are you winning your games by on average.

Av. Sagarin Rank - This is the average Sagarin ranking of the FBS opponents each team has played in 2011. The lower this number, the better.

So, now that you have all the info, which team is the one that should be playing LSU? Vote below, and once you vote the teams will be revealed.

http://eye-on-collegefoot.../entry/24156338/33566427

^I saw that. The problem with the Sagarin rankings is that he has 6-6 Texas A&M at #12
laugh.gif
7-4 Texas is 14th as well. They are reliable some years but there are usually a lot of head scratchers there as well. In 07 a 2-loss VT that had lost 48-7 to LSU was #1 in those rankings over a 1 loss Ohio State and many other 2 loss teams.

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Originally Posted by IYE2

I'm really excited to see what he does with Miller and stoneburner the te.

apparently cinci is showing interest in Luke fickell..
butch getting fired?

SUPPOSEDLY, Butch has offers from UNC and UCLA. I don't know if BigMike and JuicyJ have heard the same? I feel like it's more of a bargaining tool right now they're working on an extension. After the Brian Kelly fiasco I'll never be surprised anymore, though.

I really hope Hoke doesn't close the door on mobile QB's that may be interested in coming to Michigan. I know Hoke wants a pro-style but I just hope after having a guy like Denard he becomes open to guys like him.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Who the %@#@ thinks VTech should be #2? Who?!

laugh.gif
You know the only people that voted for Team C there were either trolling or knew that was VT's resume and voted for them anyways.
Even most VT fans don't think we're deserving, but you'd be surprised how many people think that Stanford jumping us this week was some type of conspiracy and don't realize that it was the computer rankings and the weak $#@ ACC that caused that. 

Originally Posted by zs05wc

I really hope Hoke doesn't close the door on mobile QB's that may be interested in coming to Michigan. I know Hoke wants a pro-style but I just hope after having a guy like Denard he becomes open to guys like him.

Shane Morris is no statue. 
O$U has quite a lack of depth on that OL. Norwell Hall and Mewhort are the only 3 that I think are capable B1G OL. Those are some big bodies that have to get out and pull and hit that second level with ease as well.

Pretty much locks Bri'onte Dunn to Michigan.

Hoping Michigan made up some ground with Josh Garnett. Meeting Jake Long seemed to make his day. 

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Rick Neuheisel out at UCLA[/h2]

ESPN.com news services

Rick Neuheisel will not return as UCLA football coach next season, but will coach in the Pac-12 title game, the school said Monday.

[h4]More On UCLA[/h4]
26.gif

For the latest news on UCLA, check out ESPN Los Angeles' blog on the Bruins. Blog

Offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Mike Johnson will take over as interim coach after Friday's title game, while a national search for a permanent replacement will begin immediately, the school announced.

UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero was expected to hold a news conference at 5:30 p.m. ET at the J.D. Morgan Center on campus.

"I have a great deal of respect for Rick Neuheisel and the manner in which he has run this program," Guerrero said in a prepared statement.

"Decisions such as this one do not come without a great deal of heartache. However, it is apparent to me that a move was necessary at this time in order to give UCLA the best chance to enjoy the success that we all desire," Guerrero said.

The Bruins (6-6, 5-4 Pac-12) are representing the Pac-12 South in Friday's title game at Oregon (No. 9 BCS, No. 8 AP) because USC, the division champion, is ineligible. The Trojans (No. 9 AP) emphasized that point on Saturday, routing their city rivals 50-0.

Neuheisel said Sunday that winning five conference games and advancing to the Pac-12 championship game should be enough for him to keep his job, even if the Bruins backed in to the conference title game.

"I was told that we need to move the needle and if the needle moved that we would be fine and I'd get to continue along my five years of my five-year contract," Neuheisel said. "We have won five conference games as opposed to three last year. We have won the right to represent the South in the conference championship. We've certainly had some unfortunate evenings where things haven't gone our way, but I think the program is headed in the right direction."

shucks

Originally Posted by dreClark

Toby was better than Mark Ingram?
laugh.gif

He had a better year in college football then Mark did that year, yes. Of course I wouldnt expect anyone east of the colorado river to agree but just look at the numbers. Its hard to argue who meant more to their team considering Bama was pretty special that year but Toby was huge for a Stanford team that was just turning their program around.

If I recall the Heisman voting was pretty close between the two of them as well.

Bummer about slick rick, was looking forward to next year's quotables already....

Back
Top Bottom