2011 New York Jets Season Thread ( 8-8 ) SHOTTY STEPS DOWN , PLAYERS BASH SANCHEZ ....

and things should be interesting this offseason.

i'm just going to put it like this, i've defended the guy, i want him to be a decent qb, and i want to see him succeed but yesterday and other games this year speak for themself. it's inexcusable, the dumb horrible timed turnovers and missed passes.

my take is that this better be the wake up call and writing on the wall for mark sanchez to get it together or else. 

i'm not questioning his work ethic as i feel he's willing to put the effort in to improve but if he doesn't have what it takes then he just doesn't have what it takes and it's no sugarcoating that.

the more then likely situation is the jets bring in a decent backup, sanchez goes into the season next year as the starter and if he screws up he's benched but a decent backup is needed.

that said i could easily see baltimore beating the bengals considering that game is either going to make them a 2 seed with a bye or a wild card road team.

the raiders are up and down and them losing to san diego wouldn't necessarily suprise me neither  as would the tebows losing at home to kc.

the texans are locked into the 3 seed but i think they play this game sunday to win as they don't want to go into their first playoffs on a 3 game losing streak and i really don't think the titans are a good team.  they win the games their supposed to win at home and are a crappy road team,  losses to the colts and jags are proof of that.

that said i could see all those teams losing giving the jets a shot to get in  and they go ahead and lose to the dolphins on sunday
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82567d34/article/jets-reportedly-unsure-if-franchise-qb-is-on-their-roster?module=HP11_headline_stack

If the New York Jets and Mark Sanchez end up parting ways sometime in the near future, people might point toward his ill-advised retreat into his own end zone Saturday -- and another untimely fourth-quarter giveaway -- as the beginning of the end of his tenure as the Jets' quarterbackWith his team desperately needing a victory in order to stay alive in the AFC wild-card chase, Sanchez laid an egg in a 29-14 loss loss to the New York Giants. The third-year pro completed 30 of 59 passes for 258 yards with one touchdown to two interceptions. He also took five sacks -- one of which resulted in a safety with the Jets trailing by six in the fourth-quarter.

Sanchez's poor play, as well as his overall up-and-down performance this season, now has the Jets seriously considering whether or not they have their franchise quarterback on their roster.A league source told ProFootballTalk.com on Sunday that the Jets are beginning to realize that Sanchez, whom the team drafted with its first-round pick in 2009, might not be their guy.Jets coach Rex Ryan has been very outspoken in his support for his beleaguered quarterback this season, but PFT reported that the team would not publicly acknowledge even a hint of a change in tune in regard to Sanchez.

Sanchez has two years remaining on his his rookie contract after this season -- he will earn a base salary of $8.5 million next year, according to PFT.

While the Jets have not been officially eliminated from the postseason, they will need a win against the Dolphins next week and a lot of help to earn a wild-card spot.
Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Originally Posted by OmarsOK

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

I'm actually not surprised at all that we lost. Coming into this week, I knew we had a HUGE chance of losing rather than winning. WE DO NOT AT ALL matchup well against the Eagles. They are simply too fast for us. I'm not worried because the two teams we have left matchup well against us. Whoever said it up top, the NFL is about matchups was absolutely correct.

The Jets can beat any team in the league with their style of play aside from the teams with a mobile quarterback and use speed as their main weapon. Teams like the Eagles, Saints and Packers would be terrible for us to matchup against but everyone else, with the right game plan we matchup well.

Mark Sanchez will be a good qb. In my opinion, he already is one. But when you give the guy no time to read his progressions which is what happened today he will fail. Also, we need to open up the routes. These slant and dig routes have been implemented for the last 3 years. Holmes runs some of the best routes in the league, let him double and triple move. Keller should be lined up in the slot or outside more often, he is just as good as a receiver. But then again you need him to chip linemen since Wayne Hunter blocks like hes blind.

If Shonn Greene doesn't run the ball 25 times a game, we will lose every time. He wears down defenses and GETS BETTER as the game goes along. The entire team should be Schottenheimer with his stupid %!% play calling sheet. Feed him the rock. And stop with this LT on 3rd down crap. We all know its a screen or dunk pass to him when hes in there on these short 3rd downs. Also Eric Smith would be one hell of a linebacker. I don't how hard it would be to convert someone from a safety to linebacker but I think he would be a good one. As a safety, he's too damn slow or dumb, I don't know you pick one. Hope we can win the next 2 weeks and cause havoc in the playoffs.

this is 2011, u need better than good sorry my friend.

here lemme buy u a drink

Spoiler [+]

2r53igi.jpg

pimp.gif
no hard feelings

Haha, its hard to defend someone after a game like that. I still want to see him have an OC that's not conservative. You're right when you say you need better than good but I still think we can win a superbowl with him. Our OC is just terrible though and Sanchez had absolute terrible pocket presence yesterday. But like I said in my previous post, if you watched the game yesterday, the routes were the same and horrendous and Shonn Green ran 14 times. He was effective but we still didn't keep pounding the ball with him.
Sanchez is an average quarterback and he usually comes through in the clutch. Yesterday was the first time, i really seen him fail in the 4th. But I do agree with a lot of his criticism. It also sucks he's playing in an era with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers. When you compare Sanchez to guys like that there is no contest. 

New OC and if he still continues with this rocky play then I'll firmly say that it's time to start over with a new QB (DON'T DRAFT ANOTHER USC QB IN MATT BARKLEY) I want to see what Greg McEelroy can do. 

Originally Posted by OmarsOK

Originally Posted by brownsuga1

I'm actually not surprised at all that we lost. Coming into this week, I knew we had a HUGE chance of losing rather than winning. WE DO NOT AT ALL matchup well against the Eagles. They are simply too fast for us. I'm not worried because the two teams we have left matchup well against us. Whoever said it up top, the NFL is about matchups was absolutely correct.

The Jets can beat any team in the league with their style of play aside from the teams with a mobile quarterback and use speed as their main weapon. Teams like the Eagles, Saints and Packers would be terrible for us to matchup against but everyone else, with the right game plan we matchup well.

Mark Sanchez will be a good qb. In my opinion, he already is one. But when you give the guy no time to read his progressions which is what happened today he will fail. Also, we need to open up the routes. These slant and dig routes have been implemented for the last 3 years. Holmes runs some of the best routes in the league, let him double and triple move. Keller should be lined up in the slot or outside more often, he is just as good as a receiver. But then again you need him to chip linemen since Wayne Hunter blocks like hes blind.

If Shonn Greene doesn't run the ball 25 times a game, we will lose every time. He wears down defenses and GETS BETTER as the game goes along. The entire team should be Schottenheimer with his stupid %!% play calling sheet. Feed him the rock. And stop with this LT on 3rd down crap. We all know its a screen or dunk pass to him when hes in there on these short 3rd downs. Also Eric Smith would be one hell of a linebacker. I don't how hard it would be to convert someone from a safety to linebacker but I think he would be a good one. As a safety, he's too damn slow or dumb, I don't know you pick one. Hope we can win the next 2 weeks and cause havoc in the playoffs.

this is 2011, u need better than good sorry my friend.

here lemme buy u a drink

Spoiler [+]

2r53igi.jpg

pimp.gif
no hard feelings

Haha, its hard to defend someone after a game like that. I still want to see him have an OC that's not conservative. You're right when you say you need better than good but I still think we can win a superbowl with him. Our OC is just terrible though and Sanchez had absolute terrible pocket presence yesterday. But like I said in my previous post, if you watched the game yesterday, the routes were the same and horrendous and Shonn Green ran 14 times. He was effective but we still didn't keep pounding the ball with him.
Sanchez is an average quarterback and he usually comes through in the clutch. Yesterday was the first time, i really seen him fail in the 4th. But I do agree with a lot of his criticism. It also sucks he's playing in an era with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers. When you compare Sanchez to guys like that there is no contest. 

New OC and if he still continues with this rocky play then I'll firmly say that it's time to start over with a new QB (DON'T DRAFT ANOTHER USC QB IN MATT BARKLEY) I want to see what Greg McEelroy can do. 

Sanchez just isn't any good. I've come to realize that that's why other NFL teams like Schottenheimer as a potential HC. Because he's done his best to help Sanchez look somewhat adequate. This guy can't throw deep passes thats why they never call it. He over throws guys on long routes and you guys know that. Every single time a guy gets wide open and is cruising down that sideline all you see is the ball sail past them by at least 5 yards. That's embarrassing for any NFL QB.

The Jets aren't going to fire Schotty any time soon. Because then they run the risk of hiring a less patient OC who would call plays that would embarrass Sanchez for not being able to execute them and embarrass the Jets for drafting such a bum.

Don't worry though. Once the God Greg McElroy comes off of IR I think it's over for Sanchez. Sanchez can be exciting to watch but he's also always been inefficient and unreliable. The Jets will need some glimmer of hope, luck, prayer or w/e to get in the playoffs and I think he knows that if they do he has to go all out to finally prove that he's the one without question.

Sanchez just isn't any good. I've come to realize that that's why other NFL teams like Schottenheimer as a potential HC. Because he's done his best to help Sanchez look somewhat adequate. This guy can't throw deep passes thats why they never call it. He over throws guys on long routes and you guys know that. Every single time a guy gets wide open and is cruising down that sideline all you see is the ball sail past them by at least 5 yards. That's embarrassing for any NFL QB.

The Jets aren't going to fire Schotty any time soon. Because then they run the risk of hiring a less patient OC who would call plays that would embarrass Sanchez for not being able to execute them and embarrass the Jets for drafting such a bum.

Don't worry though. Once the God Greg McElroy comes off of IR I think it's over for Sanchez. Sanchez can be exciting to watch but he's also always been inefficient and unreliable. The Jets will need some glimmer of hope, luck, prayer or w/e to get in the playoffs and I think he knows that if they do he has to go all out to finally prove that he's the one without question.

If the run is abandoned against Miami, we can kiss any chance we have of winning goodbye.

Sanchez should never have, what was it, 55+ pass attempts? He is not that type of QB, and won't ever be. He will need to make passes of course, but we need to feed Greene the ball. When Greene runs well, that's when Sanchez plays well.

It's realistically possible for the teams we need to lose to do just that, but we cannot come out flat against Miami, especially since they will be playing us hard.

If the run is abandoned against Miami, we can kiss any chance we have of winning goodbye.

Sanchez should never have, what was it, 55+ pass attempts? He is not that type of QB, and won't ever be. He will need to make passes of course, but we need to feed Greene the ball. When Greene runs well, that's when Sanchez plays well.

It's realistically possible for the teams we need to lose to do just that, but we cannot come out flat against Miami, especially since they will be playing us hard.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

Have you seen Brett Farve numbers as a jet? It was not good by his standard

The deep ball was thrown when Edwards was here. I don't care if Mark misses them by 5 yards. I should always be in the defender mind they might throw it deep. Instead of a predictable slant or in route

McElroy has a noodle arm he is not a solution

If we was to get a new OC and he still struggle. Then I will side with everyone else and say its all his fault
I have no idea if we are a ground n pound team or west coast offense

The deep ball was thrown when Edwards was here. I don't care if Mark misses them by 5 yards. I should always be in the defender mind they might throw it deep. Instead of a predictable slant or in route

If we was to get a new OC and he still struggle. Then I will side with everyone else and say its all his fault

the jets are overrated and have been for years.

i'm sorry but the giants are horrible this season and owned the jets.

i mean come one you really believe the jets are contenders?

the jets are overrated and have been for years.

i'm sorry but the giants are horrible this season and owned the jets.

i mean come one you really believe the jets are contenders?

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

The deep ball was there when Edwards was here which is why his regression in that situation is puzzling and infuriating. The Jets will find a new QB before they find a new OC. They just signed dude to an extension too. I've heard a lot of good things about McElroy and saw a little of him in preseason which is why I want to see him get a chance. I honestly can't see Sanchez getting lucky enough to win 4 playoff games to win a championship. That's impossible. 

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

The deep ball was there when Edwards was here which is why his regression in that situation is puzzling and infuriating. The Jets will find a new QB before they find a new OC. They just signed dude to an extension too. I've heard a lot of good things about McElroy and saw a little of him in preseason which is why I want to see him get a chance. I honestly can't see Sanchez getting lucky enough to win 4 playoff games to win a championship. That's impossible. 

sanchez actually had a good 1st half and was making nice throws in small windows. Once the 2nd half came and the dline kept getting to him he did get happy feet. I give him credit because he does give it his all, you can tell he was drained from getting hit and rushed after that td run. Imo he just needs to slow down and make better decisions. Def make better decisions
laugh.gif
But schotty is crazy for 55 attempts last game.

Schotty needs to make him more comfortable with the playbook. It seems like they trust him then when one bad things happen they put the phsyco girlfriend leash on him. Which limits the playbook and the offense. A good feature rb would do wonders for sanchez too. Green is a nice complementary back imo

Defense def needs work as well.

sanchez actually had a good 1st half and was making nice throws in small windows. Once the 2nd half came and the dline kept getting to him he did get happy feet. I give him credit because he does give it his all, you can tell he was drained from getting hit and rushed after that td run. Imo he just needs to slow down and make better decisions. Def make better decisions
laugh.gif

Schotty needs to make him more comfortable with the playbook. It seems like they trust him then when one bad things happen they put the phsyco girlfriend leash on him. Which limits the playbook and the offense. A good feature rb would do wonders for sanchez too. Green is a nice complementary back imo

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

laugh.gif

bolded and underlined for emphasis.

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

laugh.gif

bolded and underlined for emphasis.

just saw this article on sanchez...some of y'all might agree, others might not:

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Cosell Talks: You’re Seeing the Real Mark Sanchez[/h3] [h4]by Greg Cosell[/h4]
No one should be surprised by the relative poor play of Mark Sanchez, certainly not Rex Ryan and the Jets. Ryan knew what he was getting when he traded up to draft Sanchez in 2009. He was looking for a complementary quarterback that would fit his world view of championship NFL football: Run the ball with power and efficiency, and dominate with a turnover-based defense. The quarterback was a puzzle piece, a role player more than a foundation.

That’s what Ryan got with Sanchez: A limited passer with above average arm strength who was at his best in a timing-and-rhythm pass game in which the ball could come out quickly to the primary read. If the Jets could stay ahead of the down, and play in manageable down and distance situations, then Sanchez could function effectively.

In 2009, Sanchez rookie year, the Jets led the NFL in rushing attempts and yards. Defensively, they allowed both the fewest yards and the fewest points. This was football the way Ryan envisioned it.

The Jets, despite Sanchez’s low completion percentage and AFC-high 20 interceptions, made the playoffs. In fact, they won 2 postseason games. In those wins, Sanchez totaled less than 40 attempts. In a passing league, this clearly defied the accepted methodology.

The Jets ’09 run ended in the AFC Championship against Peyton Manning and the Colts, when Ryan’s defense could not hold up in the second half after leading 17-13 at halftime. Lost in Manning’s brilliant performance that day was the fact the Jets did not score in the final 2 quarters.

In 2010, the Jets’ team profile remained essentially the same. They were second in the NFL in both rushing attempts and yards. Defensively, they were not quite as strong statistically, but the basic template was still in place. Sanchez was slightly more efficient, and he limited his interceptions to 13.  But he was still a component piece, nothing more. He won a few games in the fourth quarter, which elevated his public perception, but that did not alter Ryan’s fundamental philosophy nor meaningfully change Sanchez’s limitations as a passer.

Mark Sanchez is sacked by Chris Canty for a safety in the Jets loss to the Giants

The 2010 playoffs mirrored those of 2009. Sanchez threw for less than 200 yards against the Colts in the Wild Card game, as the Jets ran for 169 yards and held Manning to 54 offensive plays and 16 points. Then followed the big Divisional Playoff win against New England: 25 passes for Sanchez and less than 200 yards. A bad start in the AFC Championship doomed a Jets team not built to rally from a large deficit: after falling behind the Steelers 24-0 in the first half, New York could not come back.

What’s happened in 2011? The twin foundations of the team have not performed at the necessary levels: the Jets rank 22[sup]nd[/sup] in rushing, averaging only 104 yards per game. The defensive deterioration has been just as striking:  in points allowed, they also rank 22[sup]nd[/sup].  These failings have placed the burden on Sanchez to suddenly be something he was not ever expected to be: a lead quarterback who is the focal point of the offense.  Sanchez was not drafted to play that role, and he’s not capable of it.

So make no mistake, the Jets struggles are not merely surprisingly poor play.  They stem from the very heart of the team and how it’s seen itself during the 3 years of the Ryan era.  Nothing significant about Mark Sanchez has changed. It’s the rest of the team that has changed. That’s what has magnified their quarterback’s limitations.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Cosell Talks: You’re Seeing the Real Mark Sanchez[/h3] [h4]by Greg Cosell[/h4]
No one should be surprised by the relative poor play of Mark Sanchez, certainly not Rex Ryan and the Jets. Ryan knew what he was getting when he traded up to draft Sanchez in 2009. He was looking for a complementary quarterback that would fit his world view of championship NFL football: Run the ball with power and efficiency, and dominate with a turnover-based defense. The quarterback was a puzzle piece, a role player more than a foundation.

That’s what Ryan got with Sanchez: A limited passer with above average arm strength who was at his best in a timing-and-rhythm pass game in which the ball could come out quickly to the primary read. If the Jets could stay ahead of the down, and play in manageable down and distance situations, then Sanchez could function effectively.

In 2009, Sanchez rookie year, the Jets led the NFL in rushing attempts and yards. Defensively, they allowed both the fewest yards and the fewest points. This was football the way Ryan envisioned it.

The Jets, despite Sanchez’s low completion percentage and AFC-high 20 interceptions, made the playoffs. In fact, they won 2 postseason games. In those wins, Sanchez totaled less than 40 attempts. In a passing league, this clearly defied the accepted methodology.

The Jets ’09 run ended in the AFC Championship against Peyton Manning and the Colts, when Ryan’s defense could not hold up in the second half after leading 17-13 at halftime. Lost in Manning’s brilliant performance that day was the fact the Jets did not score in the final 2 quarters.

In 2010, the Jets’ team profile remained essentially the same. They were second in the NFL in both rushing attempts and yards. Defensively, they were not quite as strong statistically, but the basic template was still in place. Sanchez was slightly more efficient, and he limited his interceptions to 13.  But he was still a component piece, nothing more. He won a few games in the fourth quarter, which elevated his public perception, but that did not alter Ryan’s fundamental philosophy nor meaningfully change Sanchez’s limitations as a passer.

Mark Sanchez is sacked by Chris Canty for a safety in the Jets loss to the Giants

The 2010 playoffs mirrored those of 2009. Sanchez threw for less than 200 yards against the Colts in the Wild Card game, as the Jets ran for 169 yards and held Manning to 54 offensive plays and 16 points. Then followed the big Divisional Playoff win against New England: 25 passes for Sanchez and less than 200 yards. A bad start in the AFC Championship doomed a Jets team not built to rally from a large deficit: after falling behind the Steelers 24-0 in the first half, New York could not come back.

What’s happened in 2011? The twin foundations of the team have not performed at the necessary levels: the Jets rank 22[sup]nd[/sup] in rushing, averaging only 104 yards per game. The defensive deterioration has been just as striking:  in points allowed, they also rank 22[sup]nd[/sup].  These failings have placed the burden on Sanchez to suddenly be something he was not ever expected to be: a lead quarterback who is the focal point of the offense.  Sanchez was not drafted to play that role, and he’s not capable of it.

So make no mistake, the Jets struggles are not merely surprisingly poor play.  They stem from the very heart of the team and how it’s seen itself during the 3 years of the Ryan era.  Nothing significant about Mark Sanchez has changed. It’s the rest of the team that has changed. That’s what has magnified their quarterback’s limitations.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

I don't know how anyone can disagree with it. Sanchez has got talent but he's not experienced enough in total years played to operate like the assassins that are wrecking the league right now. I hope the NYC pressure forces them to change their strategy and approach at QB. Rex wanted to draft the next Trent Dilfer but the league has evolved to the point where that type of QB just can't take a team to the big game. He might be able to get through some situational matchups early in the playoffs but when it comes down to the two best teams in a conference and then the last two left in the league, someones going to get exposed. With our defense and rushing attack falling off of course all the pressure is on the QB. Look at GB, NE, and NO. They're being carried on the backs of elite and unwavering talent at the QB position. It's a different league. If you're not elite at QB or on D like a SF or Bmore you shouldn't expect much.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

I don't know how anyone can disagree with it. Sanchez has got talent but he's not experienced enough in total years played to operate like the assassins that are wrecking the league right now. I hope the NYC pressure forces them to change their strategy and approach at QB. Rex wanted to draft the next Trent Dilfer but the league has evolved to the point where that type of QB just can't take a team to the big game. He might be able to get through some situational matchups early in the playoffs but when it comes down to the two best teams in a conference and then the last two left in the league, someones going to get exposed. With our defense and rushing attack falling off of course all the pressure is on the QB. Look at GB, NE, and NO. They're being carried on the backs of elite and unwavering talent at the QB position. It's a different league. If you're not elite at QB or on D like a SF or Bmore you shouldn't expect much.

Back
Top Bottom