2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

I'd still like to see if Gamboa could take a punch from a puncher like Donaire. Seen Donaire take decent shots and walk right through em.

Hopefully a lot of people saw Gamboa last night, give him more of a fanbase.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

who has a better skill set,

Nonito Donaire or Yuriokas Gamboa ?

Donaire is a better boxer technically.
Gamboa has more speed, and raw talent.

Originally Posted by thacapt

I wouldn't say 'more' speed. I honestly think they're both on the same level of quickness.

The differences to me are partial. Though Gamboa reminds me of lightweight Roy Jr. Dude is mad talented and quick, but very cocky! And one of these days, Gamboa is gonna get GOT!

Donaire on the other hand, is very precise on his decisions, very accurate on his punches and has proven to have a chin.

Right now I say Donaire > Gamboa... not by much though!

I wouldn't say 'more' speed. I honestly think they're both on the same level of quickness.

The differences to me are partial. Though Gamboa reminds me of lightweight Roy Jr. Dude is mad talented and quick, but very cocky! And one of these days, Gamboa is gonna get GOT!

Donaire on the other hand, is very precise on his decisions, very accurate on his punches and has proven to have a chin.

Here are some quotes regarding these two fighters at Boxingscene:

I'd say Gamboa is faster and hits a lot harder. But for right now Donaire is probably a bit for technically polished because he's in prime form right now whereas Gamboa is just getting started, still young and still a little reckless at times where you don't see Donaire having those types of problems at this point.
nonito ...not even a question....when you see gamboa fight in both orthodox and southpaw stance, let me know....
Donaire. Come on. Nonito dominates P4P fighters and Champs, He makes it look easy doing it too.. Gamboa has remarkable athletic abilities but the level of his opposition is still not up to par with Nonito's.
Gamboa has faster hand speed and better combination punching than Donaire. But Donaire has better boxing skills in terms of defense, timing and counter punching. Donaire has better overall boxing skills, is more polished and is a year younger. Both are at their primes and I don't think either will improve much more in their careers.
This is like comparing Hopkins and Roy Jones ; they're completely different animals...
Gamboa. However, Donaire is probably a more "intelligent" fighter, and he utilizes a much more advanced style and approach. Donaire seems to still be a better "read and react" fighter, and he has been in with better, more live competition. So despite Gamboa having the better skills, per se, Donaire seems suited to go further, with more success and not as likely to get tagged and stopped or something. Gamboa also appears to be really full at his current weight, and with his frame, i don't know if he can go up in weight without adding unnecessary bulk.

Donaire. I think everyone is exagerating Gamboas win last night. It was a good win no doubt but most of you acting as if we found the reincarnation of Ray Robinson. Donaire is not as incosistent, more technically sound, harder puncer, great counter-puncher. Donaire easy.
Donaire's fighting The best and he makes it look too easy!

Gamboa struggled with some bums and was Knock downed by some Nobodys!

It's not even close!!!
Gamboa gets far too reckless for me to say his boxing skills are better than Donaire's. He's really open when he moves in to throw combos.

All pretty much discusses how I feel about them 2.

I'd say Gamboa is faster and hits a lot harder. But for right now Donaire is probably a bit for technically polished because he's in prime form right now whereas Gamboa is just getting started, still young and still a little reckless at times where you don't see Donaire having those types of problems at this point.
nonito ...not even a question....when you see gamboa fight in both orthodox and southpaw stance, let me know....
Donaire. Come on. Nonito dominates P4P fighters and Champs, He makes it look easy doing it too.. Gamboa has remarkable athletic abilities but the level of his opposition is still not up to par with Nonito's.
Gamboa has faster hand speed and better combination punching than Donaire. But Donaire has better boxing skills in terms of defense, timing and counter punching. Donaire has better overall boxing skills, is more polished and is a year younger. Both are at their primes and I don't think either will improve much more in their careers.
This is like comparing Hopkins and Roy Jones ; they're completely different animals...
Gamboa. However, Donaire is probably a more "intelligent" fighter, and he utilizes a much more advanced style and approach. Donaire seems to still be a better "read and react" fighter, and he has been in with better, more live competition. So despite Gamboa having the better skills, per se, Donaire seems suited to go further, with more success and not as likely to get tagged and stopped or something. Gamboa also appears to be really full at his current weight, and with his frame, i don't know if he can go up in weight without adding unnecessary bulk.

Donaire. I think everyone is exagerating Gamboas win last night. It was a good win no doubt but most of you acting as if we found the reincarnation of Ray Robinson. Donaire is not as incosistent, more technically sound, harder puncer, great counter-puncher. Donaire easy.
Donaire's fighting The best and he makes it look too easy!

Gamboa struggled with some bums and was Knock downed by some Nobodys!

It's not even close!!!
Gamboa gets far too reckless for me to say his boxing skills are better than Donaire's. He's really open when he moves in to throw combos.

All pretty much discusses how I feel about them 2.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Who said this?  Gamboa is actually older than Nonito 

I was just responding to when he said who has the better skill set.
Gamboa imo is faster than Nonito, more raw talent, and you can even go as far as saying he has more power than Nonito as dako said.

Nonito overall is the more polished and better technically than Gamboa, since Gamboa is relatively new to professional boxing. 

And you can see Gamboa isn't as reckless as he used to be in his earlier fights when he fought Solis, he was fighting from the outside.

I was just responding to when he said who has the better skill set.
Gamboa imo is faster than Nonito, more raw talent, and you can even go as far as saying he has more power than Nonito as dako said.

Nonito overall is the more polished and better technically than Gamboa, since Gamboa is relatively new to professional boxing. 

And you can see Gamboa isn't as reckless as he used to be in his earlier fights when he fought Solis, he was fighting from the outside.

Speaking of boxing.

I was extremely impressed with Teon Kennedy.

He showed a lot of toughness and I saw Yohnny Perez in him.

Speaking of boxing.

I was extremely impressed with Teon Kennedy.

He showed a lot of toughness and I saw Yohnny Perez in him.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

That's what I thought, Donaire just turned 28 and Gamboa is about to turn 30.
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

It reminded of an old topic here in S & T a few years ago back when Manu Ginobili was a rookie.  Alot of peeps were saying at that time that he was a "younger" version of Kobe....  but actually he's like 2 years older than Kobe 
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

It reminded of an old topic here in S & T a few years ago back when Manu Ginobili was a rookie.  Alot of peeps were saying at that time that he was a "younger" version of Kobe....  but actually he's like 2 years older than Kobe 
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

That's completely understandable though, it seems as if Kobe has been playing in the league since he was in diapers!
laugh.gif
That dude is ONLY 32, like what the heck? You would think he's 50 or something
laugh.gif

It will be a sad day when he retires though!
frown.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif

That's completely understandable though, it seems as if Kobe has been playing in the league since he was in diapers!
laugh.gif
That dude is ONLY 32, like what the heck? You would think he's 50 or something
laugh.gif

It will be a sad day when he retires though!
frown.gif

The Gamboa fight was entertaining to say the least.

But who else is left for him to fight? How much weight could he put on and stay effective.

Really wish the Maidana fight wasn't pay-per-view. Guess im counting down to Berto Ortiz.

The Gamboa fight was entertaining to say the least.

But who else is left for him to fight? How much weight could he put on and stay effective.

Really wish the Maidana fight wasn't pay-per-view. Guess im counting down to Berto Ortiz.

Back
Top Bottom