2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

Well Jean Pascal just became another Victim of Bernard Hopkins mind games
Hopkins does his usual thing and Pascal Snaps at the press conference and starts pushing and shoving and had to be restrained .
Its on Fightnews ..

Look for Pascal to fight the wrong fight and Get walked into right hand counters all night by the Old Man

Well Jean Pascal just became another Victim of Bernard Hopkins mind games
Hopkins does his usual thing and Pascal Snaps at the press conference and starts pushing and shoving and had to be restrained .
Its on Fightnews ..

Look for Pascal to fight the wrong fight and Get walked into right hand counters all night by the Old Man

Hopkins told a Pascal Homeboy "$@%@% all it takes is one phone call. I do this, I live what you talkin"

#@@**@ bout to get the philly mosque set called down on them
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Hopkins told a Pascal Homeboy "$@%@% all it takes is one phone call. I do this, I live what you talkin"

#@@**@ bout to get the philly mosque set called down on them
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Erislandy Lara just got a gift decision

Him and rigedeaux have dailed to impress me at all in their last couple fights.

Did you see Rigondeaux's fight the other week?  He came out blazing and destroyed Casey in the first round. 

Erislandy Lara just got a gift decision

Him and rigedeaux have dailed to impress me at all in their last couple fights.

Did you see Rigondeaux's fight the other week?  He came out blazing and destroyed Casey in the first round. 

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Mannnn Nah I missed that fight. %%* Damn, I was talking about the twi previous fights.

Oh okay.� Here's the Casey fight.� Not exactly a top tier guy but still impressive how easily he disposed of him and it was nice to see him fight aggressive.� His body shots brutal.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Mannnn Nah I missed that fight. %%* Damn, I was talking about the twi previous fights.

Oh okay.� Here's the Casey fight.� Not exactly a top tier guy but still impressive how easily he disposed of him and it was nice to see him fight aggressive.� His body shots brutal.

Pascal is coming off sounding like a real +++%* in all of this. Who the hell signs for a first fights, doesn't raise any drug test questions, gets his %@% whooped, signs for a rematch and then on the day of the presser decide to starting crying about testing Hopkins? Why not put that in the contract or mention something about it before signing up for a rematch?

Pascal is coming off sounding like a real +++%* in all of this. Who the hell signs for a first fights, doesn't raise any drug test questions, gets his %@% whooped, signs for a rematch and then on the day of the presser decide to starting crying about testing Hopkins? Why not put that in the contract or mention something about it before signing up for a rematch?

LAS VEGAS – Top Rank has won the first hurdle in the battle for the rights to promote burgeoning superstar Nonito Donaire.

Arbiter Daniel Weinstein, a retired California Superior Court judge, ruled Monday that Golden Boy Promotions violated a previous agreement with Top Rank not to poach each other’s fighters when it signed Donaire, the World Boxing Council/World Boxing Organization bantamweight champion, to a promotional agreement on March 16.

Weinstein told the parties of his decision on Monday and is expected to release his ruling in writing shortly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_toprank_wins_round_in_donaire_case032911

LAS VEGAS – Top Rank has won the first hurdle in the battle for the rights to promote burgeoning superstar Nonito Donaire.

Arbiter Daniel Weinstein, a retired California Superior Court judge, ruled Monday that Golden Boy Promotions violated a previous agreement with Top Rank not to poach each other’s fighters when it signed Donaire, the World Boxing Council/World Boxing Organization bantamweight champion, to a promotional agreement on March 16.

Weinstein told the parties of his decision on Monday and is expected to release his ruling in writing shortly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_toprank_wins_round_in_donaire_case032911

Just saw the Gamboa fight yesterday. Why Solis looked like the first dude you fight on Punchout?  
laugh.gif

Just saw the Gamboa fight yesterday. Why Solis looked like the first dude you fight on Punchout?  
laugh.gif

Apparently Dawson backed out of the Diaconu fight last night but now is reconsidering
laugh.gif

At last, the semifinals of Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic are upon us, meaning we are in the home stretch of the long -- too long, frankly -- six-man super middleweight tournament, which has been going on since late 2009.

The Carl Froch-Glen Johnson semifinal on June 4 looks like a quality action fight on paper. I'm looking forward to this one.

Froch has been on a great run, despite a close loss to Mikkel Kessler in the round-robin stage of the tournament. Johnson, the former light heavyweight champion, dropped down in weight to replace the injured Kessler last fall and looked great knocking out Allan Green (another replacement) to advance to the semifinals for a shot at Froch's belt.

On the other side of the bracket, the excitement isn't quite as high, to put it kindly. That's because you have Andre Ward (23-0, 13 KOs) -- the Oakland, Calif., native and 2004 Olympic gold medalist, who has emerged as the class of the field -- defending his title May 14 against Germany-based Armenian Arthur Abraham (32-2, 26 KOs), whose presence in the semifinals is unfortunate.

Ward deserves to be in the semifinals, no question. He has been dominant in the tournament. But Abraham "earned" his spot simply because he knocked out Jermain Taylor (who then dropped out) to pick up three points in the opening round of the tournament in October 2009.

The problem is that those three points turned out to be enough to put Abraham into the semifinals, even though he looked absolutely horrible in his next two tournament fights, both lopsided losses.

Andre Dirrell manhandled Abraham before the latter was disqualified in the 11th round for a blatant foul -- an illegal punch that knocked Dirrell cold after he had slipped to the canvas. (Dirrell later withdrew from the tournament, citing a neurological issue stemming from that illegal punch.)

In his next fight, Abraham was routed by Froch in a shockingly one-sided bout in which Froch won 35 of the 36 combined rounds scored by the three judges. Now Abraham must fight Ward in a semifinal match, which will take place at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

On paper, at least, the fight looks like a mismatch. But Ward is a focused athlete who said he isn't buying into that notion.

"In my preparation, I'm probably giving him more respect than he deserves," Ward said at Tuesday's kickoff news conference in Los Angeles. "My job is to put him away from the opening bell. My job is to make him feel the same way he felt right after the Carl Froch fight, as soon as possible."

Dan Goossen, Ward's promoter, who is handling the fight, is up for the challenge of promoting an event many would view as a hard sell because of Abraham's recent ineptitude.

Goossen knows the Southern California area because that's where he promotes the bulk of his shows. He hopes to bring in fans from the large Armenian community, who would support Abraham. Goossen also added heavyweight contender Cristobal Arreola, from nearby Riverside, Calif., to the undercard. And of course, Goossen is saying all the right things about the main event.

"Abraham is dangerous because he can punch. Abraham has his followers who will believe up until that last second that he has the chance to land the home run shot and that will always keep him in the fight," Goossen told me before Tuesday's press conference. "Andre is very aware of that. Fans know Andre will come to fight and do whatever it takes because he is there to accomplish his ultimate goal of winning.

"Then you throw in the fact that this is in the Super Six and Andre is fighting to put himself in the finals. There is even more intrigue of, Can Abraham land that punch? Can Andre stop him? What style will Andre use in this fight? He's used different styles. There is a lot at stake."

Goossen was doing his best to drum up interest in the fight, even if Abraham and his team didn't do their part in the promotion. They didn't show up at the press conference. Abraham, claiming to be ill, spoke via video conference from Berlin.

"We are getting ready for a good fight," said Abraham, who scored a second-round TKO of Stjepan Bozic in a non-tournament tuneup fight on Feb. 12. "The tuneup fight didn't give me as much as I wanted, but it was OK. It was good to get back in the ring and get that feeling. I know [Ward] is the favorite, but that motivates me even more. Over history, many favorites have crashed down.

"I don't want to speak about what went wrong in the past. I want to focus on Andre. I will use my heart, my fists, my body and my hands to defeat Andre. I look forward to coming over to the U.S. I will give 120 percent. Together, with the Armenian fans, I will win the title and reach the finals. The Armenian fans will motivate me. That makes this fight more special for me. I will not disappoint them."

Goossen doubted the veracity of Abraham's illness claim because he said he was willing to postpone the news conference to accommodate the fighter. However, Goossen said he never got the courtesy of a response from Sauerland Event, Abraham's promoter, when he made the offer.

"I was willing to move the press conference another week. They ignored me. It's unprofessional," a perturbed Goossen said. "They promised to come out here for the press conference, but Abraham is not going to take that travel. He's going to stay home and train and try to get into Andre's head. When everything is said and done, Andre is too smart for that. He won't allow that to happen.

"Andre has an effect on these fighters. For some reason, they are afraid to stand there and pose with him at the press conference. It just adds incentive for Andre."

Goossen talked about how Green also failed to show up for the kickoff news conference before his fight with Ward.

Even though Abraham was routed in his tournament losses, Goossen still supports the tournament format that allows a fighter to lose and get another chance.

"This is what makes the tournament so great," he said. "Everyone is diminishing Abraham's chances against Andre, but he is a great position. He's in the semifinals and everyone will forget everything if he beats Andre and is in the finals. The Super Six affords you the chance to lose and come back. On the other hand, it puts you in position to have one tough fight after another."

Ward was also doing his best to ignore those who were downplaying the matchup with Abraham.

"I'm not buying into people saying that Abraham is not the same," Ward said. "I know Arthur and his team are preparing for a storybook ending, but it won't be at my expense. I'm ready to defend my title.

"It's the same story every time -- people doubting me and asking if I'm ready. I think people forget that I have a family to feed. I need to win just as badly as anyone else. I have two more fights before I'm the best super middleweight in the world, and I plan on winning both of them. It's as simple as that."

Apparently Dawson backed out of the Diaconu fight last night but now is reconsidering
laugh.gif

At last, the semifinals of Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic are upon us, meaning we are in the home stretch of the long -- too long, frankly -- six-man super middleweight tournament, which has been going on since late 2009.

The Carl Froch-Glen Johnson semifinal on June 4 looks like a quality action fight on paper. I'm looking forward to this one.

Froch has been on a great run, despite a close loss to Mikkel Kessler in the round-robin stage of the tournament. Johnson, the former light heavyweight champion, dropped down in weight to replace the injured Kessler last fall and looked great knocking out Allan Green (another replacement) to advance to the semifinals for a shot at Froch's belt.

On the other side of the bracket, the excitement isn't quite as high, to put it kindly. That's because you have Andre Ward (23-0, 13 KOs) -- the Oakland, Calif., native and 2004 Olympic gold medalist, who has emerged as the class of the field -- defending his title May 14 against Germany-based Armenian Arthur Abraham (32-2, 26 KOs), whose presence in the semifinals is unfortunate.

Ward deserves to be in the semifinals, no question. He has been dominant in the tournament. But Abraham "earned" his spot simply because he knocked out Jermain Taylor (who then dropped out) to pick up three points in the opening round of the tournament in October 2009.

The problem is that those three points turned out to be enough to put Abraham into the semifinals, even though he looked absolutely horrible in his next two tournament fights, both lopsided losses.

Andre Dirrell manhandled Abraham before the latter was disqualified in the 11th round for a blatant foul -- an illegal punch that knocked Dirrell cold after he had slipped to the canvas. (Dirrell later withdrew from the tournament, citing a neurological issue stemming from that illegal punch.)

In his next fight, Abraham was routed by Froch in a shockingly one-sided bout in which Froch won 35 of the 36 combined rounds scored by the three judges. Now Abraham must fight Ward in a semifinal match, which will take place at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

On paper, at least, the fight looks like a mismatch. But Ward is a focused athlete who said he isn't buying into that notion.

"In my preparation, I'm probably giving him more respect than he deserves," Ward said at Tuesday's kickoff news conference in Los Angeles. "My job is to put him away from the opening bell. My job is to make him feel the same way he felt right after the Carl Froch fight, as soon as possible."

Dan Goossen, Ward's promoter, who is handling the fight, is up for the challenge of promoting an event many would view as a hard sell because of Abraham's recent ineptitude.

Goossen knows the Southern California area because that's where he promotes the bulk of his shows. He hopes to bring in fans from the large Armenian community, who would support Abraham. Goossen also added heavyweight contender Cristobal Arreola, from nearby Riverside, Calif., to the undercard. And of course, Goossen is saying all the right things about the main event.

"Abraham is dangerous because he can punch. Abraham has his followers who will believe up until that last second that he has the chance to land the home run shot and that will always keep him in the fight," Goossen told me before Tuesday's press conference. "Andre is very aware of that. Fans know Andre will come to fight and do whatever it takes because he is there to accomplish his ultimate goal of winning.

"Then you throw in the fact that this is in the Super Six and Andre is fighting to put himself in the finals. There is even more intrigue of, Can Abraham land that punch? Can Andre stop him? What style will Andre use in this fight? He's used different styles. There is a lot at stake."

Goossen was doing his best to drum up interest in the fight, even if Abraham and his team didn't do their part in the promotion. They didn't show up at the press conference. Abraham, claiming to be ill, spoke via video conference from Berlin.

"We are getting ready for a good fight," said Abraham, who scored a second-round TKO of Stjepan Bozic in a non-tournament tuneup fight on Feb. 12. "The tuneup fight didn't give me as much as I wanted, but it was OK. It was good to get back in the ring and get that feeling. I know [Ward] is the favorite, but that motivates me even more. Over history, many favorites have crashed down.

"I don't want to speak about what went wrong in the past. I want to focus on Andre. I will use my heart, my fists, my body and my hands to defeat Andre. I look forward to coming over to the U.S. I will give 120 percent. Together, with the Armenian fans, I will win the title and reach the finals. The Armenian fans will motivate me. That makes this fight more special for me. I will not disappoint them."

Goossen doubted the veracity of Abraham's illness claim because he said he was willing to postpone the news conference to accommodate the fighter. However, Goossen said he never got the courtesy of a response from Sauerland Event, Abraham's promoter, when he made the offer.

"I was willing to move the press conference another week. They ignored me. It's unprofessional," a perturbed Goossen said. "They promised to come out here for the press conference, but Abraham is not going to take that travel. He's going to stay home and train and try to get into Andre's head. When everything is said and done, Andre is too smart for that. He won't allow that to happen.

"Andre has an effect on these fighters. For some reason, they are afraid to stand there and pose with him at the press conference. It just adds incentive for Andre."

Goossen talked about how Green also failed to show up for the kickoff news conference before his fight with Ward.

Even though Abraham was routed in his tournament losses, Goossen still supports the tournament format that allows a fighter to lose and get another chance.

"This is what makes the tournament so great," he said. "Everyone is diminishing Abraham's chances against Andre, but he is a great position. He's in the semifinals and everyone will forget everything if he beats Andre and is in the finals. The Super Six affords you the chance to lose and come back. On the other hand, it puts you in position to have one tough fight after another."

Ward was also doing his best to ignore those who were downplaying the matchup with Abraham.

"I'm not buying into people saying that Abraham is not the same," Ward said. "I know Arthur and his team are preparing for a storybook ending, but it won't be at my expense. I'm ready to defend my title.

"It's the same story every time -- people doubting me and asking if I'm ready. I think people forget that I have a family to feed. I need to win just as badly as anyone else. I have two more fights before I'm the best super middleweight in the world, and I plan on winning both of them. It's as simple as that."

Well the reason Chad was considering pulling out was because of Canada.

He thought he won the Pascal fight (which he didn't) and he looked at what happened to Bute-Andrade and Hopkins-Pascal.

But the fight is still on for the undercard of the Pascal-Hopkins II card.

Back
Top Bottom