2011 Oscar Nominees Announced......

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by bijald0331

True Grit
pimp.gif

Best movie of the year. Deserves every nomination it received.

not even in the top 5 of best movies this year...#@+$$...Coen bros suck

this is why a serious movie discussion on NT will never happen. 
it's called an opinion, just like bijald has his, I disagreed.

IMO

Black Swan, Social Network, The Kings Speech, Blue Valentine, Inception, The Fighter, Winters Bone were all better than True Grit

True Grit was a God damn remake, with almost identical dialogue.  How the hell it best picture worthy? 
grin.gif
  I barely understood a word Bridges said. 
laugh.gif

That said, the little girl, I vote her for an oscar any day, she was amazing in that movie, like a lil mini lawyer. 

Inception was nominated for damn near everything except director and actor. 
sick.gif
  That's plain dumb. 

And I would have loved to have seen Affleck get a nod for The Town, honestly, I don't think Fincher should be in there for The Social Network.  The greatness of that movie was the script, and the actors.  I don't think the directing was all that important for that particular film.  They sit in a board room giving testimony for half the film, the other half is a dude talking fast in his dorm room, not the same kind of directing as what Nolan or Affleck did.  *shrugs* 

Still need to see King's Speech, I need to get on that........

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

how is the social network an original score when the titular theme song was kanye west's Power?

Score and song are not the same thing. Trent Reznor got the Golden Globe for best score, he might get the Oscar too.

winters bone was one of the worst movies i've ever seen praised. It was a straight to dvd bore fest with terrible acting. I'm not sure what to think of people who thought it was entertaining at all

I just watched True Grit over the weekend and I didn't think it was as good as everyone thought.  
I liked Black Swan and Inception a lot more.

If you think Lawrence and Wilkes were bad in Winter's Bone, you're shot. I can understand saying it was boring but to discredit the acting in that movie is wrong.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

how is the social network an original score when the titular theme song was kanye west's Power?
laugh.gif

Did you watch the film? Trailers have nothing to do with a film's score.

Reznor has the Oscar on lock BTW which is fairly surprising since the soundtrack has no live instruments.

Leo did not get snubbed this year, his acting in Inception was far from special. I'd like to see James Franco win Best Actor, but that's not gonna happen. The Academy loves when actors portray people with disabilities that overcome adversity.

The true snub was Inception not getting a nomination for Editing. To be honest, being a Nolan fan, even though he deserved a nomination for Best Director (which I think Fincher should win anyways), this is more important to me:
Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Nominees:

Another Year (2010): Mike Leigh
The Fighter (2010): Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson, Keith Dorrington
Inception (2010): Christopher Nolan
The Kids Are All Right (2010): Lisa Cholodenko, Stuart Blumberg
The King's Speech (2010): David Seidler
And just to add, the 10 nominees structure for Best Picture is an absolute joke. I remember it was introduced so that films like The Dark Knight would have a shot, but it's terrible to have that many films nominated.

Also I find it ironic how I hate Facebook, yet feel The Social Network and Fincher should win their respective awards.

Originally Posted by CP1708

True Grit was a God damn remake, with almost identical dialogue.  How the hell it best picture worthy? 
grin.gif
  I barely understood a word Bridges said. 
laugh.gif

That said, the little girl, I vote her for an oscar any day, she was amazing in that movie, like a lil mini lawyer. 

Inception was nominated for damn near everything except director and actor. 
sick.gif
  That's plain dumb. 

And I would have loved to have seen Affleck get a nod for The Town, honestly, I don't think Fincher should be in there for The Social Network.  The greatness of that movie was the script, and the actors.  I don't think the directing was all that important for that particular film.  They sit in a board room giving testimony for half the film, the other half is a dude talking fast in his dorm room, not the same kind of directing as what Nolan or Affleck did.  *shrugs* 

Still need to see King's Speech, I need to get on that........

1. Agreed, Haile Steinfeld is an actress to keep your eye on for the next 5 years. She is 14 now so depending on her roles, she could really make a name for herself, this was a great start. She stood out way more than Bridges. Damon was ordinary with a forced accent and there was 0 point of having Brolin in the film for 8 minutes or w/e his screen time was.

2. I think Affleck was really good in the town but there was so much supporting help that it kind of took away from his individual performance from an Oscar nominated standpoint.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Wow....regardless if Toy Story 3 was good or bad, I think this is the second cartoon to be given this nomination ever since Beauty and the Beast. That is some sort of an accomplishment in itself.

Wall-E doesnt count for you?

TRUE GRIT was boring ashell.. great feel of the movie but it wasnt that good.

Inception = perfection

the town? no love for affleck? i dont like the guy but i thought the movie was damn near perfect.. 9.5/10 .. second to inception

toy story? i fell asleep watching it.

Social network? its good for what it is simple back story of how facebook came about.

I thought Mila Kunis would get a nod for Best Supporting Actress
but i've only seen a handful of these movies so really don't have much of an opinion
on the matter

Back
Top Bottom