**2012-13 "Gentlemanly" NBA PG Discussion Thread**

This thread was given the blessing by the good Bishop, Kevin Cleveland. Hopefully he'll grace this thread with his presence.

Well, PG play/rankings is always a hot button topic here in S&T. Rather than clutter the NBA thread w. PG talk and derail things, let's keep it here.

This is such a good time to be a fan of PG play in the NBA. I can't remember off hand the league having SO much talent at one position. There are a lot of questions going forward.

1. How will D.Rose bounce back from injury?
2. Will Kyrie Irving have a sophomore slump?
3. Is this a make or break year for John Wall?
4. Can Rondo make the leap from a "slightly above average" PG into the elite? (Kidding).
5. Which Deron Williams is going to show up this year running the point in BK?

and it goes on and on....

That being said, here's my CURRENT top-5. Subject to change at any moment. :lol:

1. Chris Paul
2. Rajon Rondo
3. Russ
4. Williams
5. Rose

*Another question...do any of you all think Tony Parker is very underrated? What exactly is he not doing to be considered a top-5 at the position? Of course these lists are subjective, but maybe I'm missing something.

interested in watching the freshman class of PGs this year, austin rivers and dame lillard specifically.

1. Rose won't be healthy enough to play 'til the spring and by then the Bulls will probably out of real contention. So he should sit the entire season. 

2. No

3. Wall will only be as good as his team. Sorry if you're a fan.

1. Rose won't be healthy enough to play 'til the spring and by then the Bulls will probably out of real contention. So he should sit the entire season. 
2. No
3. Wall will only be as good as his team. Sorry if you're a fan.

Why? AD was back on the football field cutting like a barber 8/9 months after blowing out his knee. I don't see why Rose will be out any longer than January/February. My guess is that he'll play 45+ games.

Parker been underrated for a grip and back when Nash was winnin MVP's I was sayin Parker was superior for a long while. And he's better now, than he was 5-6 years ago.

Rondo is probably my favorite PG in the league, I just wish his J was more trustworthy. I would love to see him come out with a an easy 17 footer and then I have no idea how you guard him at that point.

CP3 still has the title, but Rose and Rondo will take it from him soon. And if the league is serious about flopping, there goes 30% of Paul's game just like that. But his shot is still far above Rondo's, so he gets the nod from me for now.

Lillard is a Blazer, yes? He'll be destroyed before I remove my Christmas lights, bet the farm on that.

i've said it before, but on any given night the best PG in the league is pretty much subject to change.

CP3 and Tony Parker basically washed each other out in the playoffs last year, but the consensus is usually CP3 being the best.

Rondo averaged 17, 12, 7, and 2 for the playoffs last year, yet people can't seem to get past his broke jumper.

Russell Westbrook doesn't pass very often or very well, but he's a matchup nightmare.

my top tier (based on last season)

1. rondo
2. cp3
3. tony parker
4. westbrook
5. d will
6. rose (injuries)
7. nash

and then you got guys like Irving, Wall, Curry, LeGoran, Holiday, Ty Lawson and Rubio. there almost isn't a night off at the position.

Deron doesn't control the game the way Paul does.

Most of us have barely seen Deron play over the past year and half after the trade to the Nets. But during his time with the Jazz he definitely controlled the tempo of their team every time he was on the court. Deron is a great player in his own right, but as a POINT GUARD Chris Paul is the better player. Better passer, leader and defender. Everything you want out of your point guard.

Why? AD was back on the football field cutting like a barber 8/9 months after blowing out his knee. I don't see why Rose will be out any longer than January/February. My guess is that he'll play 45+ games.

Nah man. Gotta hold out a professional athlete 18 months from a 8/9 month rehab.

Group everyone else how u please but its Rondo > _________ when it comes to PGs

I really dont see how anyone could think otherwise.

Excited to see Kyrie Irving play this year :pimp: :pimp:

Most of us have barely seen Deron play over the past year and half after the trade to the Nets.
Thankfully for their eyes. He's under 40% from the field since the trade. I don't care how bad his teammates have been, the Deron/CP3 stuff needs to stop. It was already dumb when he was in Utah, it's even worse now.

Since I know someone is gonna gravedig this next spring, he's a good player and I expect him to bounce back this year... but he's not Chris Paul and never has been.

Last edited:
1. Paul
2. Deron

^ it's been that way with these guys at 1 and 2. It's just ever since d-will got traded y'all forgot about him like everyone forgot about cp3 when he had knee surgery when everyone was praising Deron. Rondo or rose do not belong ahead of these two.

3. Rondo
4. Rose

^ these two can be interchangeable. Both lack something the other has. Rose lacks some of the pure point gourd abilities such as passing, he's more of a slasher. . Where as Rondo as we all know can't shoot for **** while Rose can. Both of these reasons are why they are not better than Cp3 or Deron. Paul and Deron are a complete package at the PG position. They have full understanding of taking what you give them. They can make the shot if they leave you open, beat you off the dribble if you play to close, and know when to dish it if the D collapses on you. All w/o forcing anything. That's what you want out of your PG and they dominate games this way.

5. Nash
6. Parker

^ gettin up there in age, still very good though.

Kylie could be anywhere on this list within the next 2-3 years. We'll see how quickly he becomes dominant.

Last edited:
1. Paul
2. Deron
^ it's been that way. It's just ever since d-will got traded y'all forgot about him like everyone forgot about cp3 when he had knee surgery when everyone was praising Deron.
3. Rondo
4. Rose
^ these two can be interchangeable. Both lack something the other has. Rose lacks some of the pure point gourd abilities such as passing, he's more of a slasher. . Where as Rondo as we all know can't shoot for **** while Rose can. Both of these reasons are why they are not better than Cp3 or Deron. Paul and Deron are a complete package at the PG position.
5. Nash
6. Parker
Kylie could be anywhere on this list within the next 2-3 years. We'll see how quickly he becomes dominant.

CP3 is the best pg in the league, I don't even know how that can be argued. Dude hasn't been fully healthy in years and still plays better night in night out then any other pg in the league.

I love russel but I hate Russell. No one irritated me more while watching the playoffs. He clearly is trying to prove something with Durant being on his team and it has cost him and his team many many times. He's got a ton of talent, a ton of potential, but he's far from a great Point Gaurd like the guys I listed.

Last edited:
For me it's.
1. Paul
2. Russ/Rondo
3. Parker
4. D-Will
5. Rose*

If Rondo had a jumpshot, it would be him. I know some people on here have said it would take away from some of his passing since people lay off of him but how is having a jumpshot a bad thing?

:smokin @ this thread.

My type of topic.

CP3 is the best PG in the league, hands down. He's the best 1 guard since a prime J. Kidd. Dude just has those intangibles that can't be taught. Time for him to chill out with the flopping, though.

Deron is bigger and a better scorer but not a better PG. CP3 can dictate a game without scoring in double figures. DWill is gonna go on tear this season though, he's finally comfortable and has a lot to prove.

I also think Rondo is gonna be more offensively inclined this season. Saw him developing some confidence in his jumper during crunch time last postseason and he's been pulling them in the pre-season too.

The PG matchups this season will be epic.

Back
Top Bottom