**2012-13 "Gentlemanly" NBA PG Discussion Thread**

I can't believe how many people in here are putting Russell Westbrook before Deron Williams on the list.

Does anyone know what a Point Guard is? :lol:

I can't wait to see what Jrue Holiday and Darren Collison can do after them both having a bit of experience under their belts, and both now having full control of starting positions.

I can't believe how many people in here are putting Russell Westbrook before Deron Williams on the list.

Does anyone know what a Point Guard is? :lol:
1 person? Check their last head to heads. Kats haven't even seen DWill play since he's been wallowing in Bolivia up there in Jersey, letting Jeremy Lins and alsorans drop 30 on him and **** and leading the league in TOs

1 person? Check their last head to heads. Kats haven't even seen DWill play since he's been wallowing in Bolivia up there in Jersey, letting Jeremy Lins and alsorans drop 30 on him and **** and leading the league in TOs

Stop you're a Thunder fan, you're bias. Scram.

After thinking about it...I don't see why TP can't be considered a top-3 PG in the league. To re-do my list, I think I would put him over Russ, Deron WIlliams, and Derrick Rose.

I'm totally on board w. what Addict/CP said.

Kev...deep breaths, man. Deep breaths. :lol:

1. Rondo
2. CP3
3. Deron
4. Rose
5. Westbrook

I think it's been beaten to death, this topic, but this will be an exciting season with these 5 + Parker, Nash, and Mario Chalm... :rofl: jk

I think a lot of people would like to believe Chris Paul is way above his peers but I don't see it that way at this point. I made the PG thread last yearand more than ever rankings are superflous. It's the strongest position in the league undoubtedly. The great part is each of these guys have different games and bring their own intangibles to the table.

Chris Paul- Ultimate PG/Game manager
Rose- Relentless scorer/unstoppable going to the rim.
Russ- Undoubtedly explosive.
Rondo- Simply his own brand of player. Can do things nobody in NBA history can do, see him having the best year of his career coming up.
Deron- Perfect blend between PG/Scorer, can do whatever you ask of him.
Parker- Another guy so hard to guard going to the hoop, such a crafty scorer.

Those guys are the first tier of PG's right now. The next tier, Kyrie (will prolly enter the 1st tier this year), Lawson, Steph, Holiday, Wall also are primed to continue developing. Exciting to see this year and how it pans out.

My number one spot still goes to Deron Williams. He's been better than Paul for a long time IMO and now that theyre both on top teir teams I feel that the debate will get a lot more steam behind it.

Tony Parker has always been under rated but that comes with being a San Antonio Spur. Achievments are swept under the rug and exceptional play is viewed as commonplace because thats just how the Spurs are supposed to be.

Make or break year for John Wall and he will break. Never liked the dude, he came into the league wildly over rated and hasnt lived up to the hype by any stretch of the imagination (leads the league in turnovers since his arrival). Could say the same for Rondo but even if he has a down year which I think he will, the buck will be passed on to other factors around him.

PG on the rise this year? STEPH CURRY. You guys wait and see, hes going to put up exceptional numbers provided he stays healthy and may even compete for an all star spot. I see big things coming for the guy.

D-Rose should sit out the entire year.

Westbrook will continue to do what hes doing and thats about it. I dont see any significant changes coming in regards to his game and I dont feel he needs to make any.

PG Is my favorite position so I cant wait to see how this year plays out, a lot of players to keep an eye on.

I think a lot of people would like to believe Chris Paul is way above his peers but I don't see it that way at this point. I made the PG thread last yearand more than ever rankings are superflous. It's the strongest position in the league undoubtedly. The great part is each of these guys have different games and bring their own intangibles to the table.
Chris Paul- Ultimate PG/Game manager
Rose- Relentless scorer/unstoppable going to the rim.
Russ- Undoubtedly explosive.
Rondo- Simply his own brand of player. Can do things nobody in NBA history can do, see him having the best year of his career coming up.
Deron- Perfect blend between PG/Scorer, can do whatever you ask of him.
Parker- Another guy so hard to guard going to the hoop, such a crafty scorer.
Those guys are the first tier of PG's right now. The next tier, Kyrie (will prolly enter the 1st tier this year), Lawson, Steph, Holiday, Wall also are primed to continue developing. Exciting to see this year and how it pans out.

I dont think the gap between Chris Paul/Rondo is as far off as people may believe...but IMO, those two are far and away the best two at the position in the league. As a matter of fact, I think there is a big gap between players 3-5 after Paul/Rondo. Those guys facilitate an offense better than their peers at the position.

Man, I like Rondo alot. And as a pure PG in the truest meaning of the position, yeah he's def top 5.

But if we're talking just going out there and playing the game without putting them in a box of whether theyre a PG or not, I'd take DWill, Russy, Rose, Parker, CP3 all before Rondo.

Man, I like Rondo alot. And as a pure PG in the truest meaning of the position, yeah he's def top 5.
But if we're talking just going out there and playing the game without putting them in a box of whether theyre a PG or not, I'd take DWill, Russy, Rose, Parker, CP3 all before Rondo.

I'm confused by what you mean by this...

Y'all really think if you switched Russ and CP3 the difference in team play or ranking would be much different? Cause I don't...When Rose is healthy, CP3 is leagues above him? CP3 was mediocre in the playoffs last year, I agree in terms of pure PG he';s the best but that's just a very shallow lens to look at a player through..

|I

:lol:

I'm not taking Parker over Rondo. This season, I see DWill's #2 spot being up for grabs, possibly by Rondo. With Rondo having more weapons around him this season in Boston, he will possible break Scott Skiles game-high assist record. Isn't Rondo's career high like 24 already?

I'm not exactly sure why Rondo wouldn't AT LEAST be top 3 right now (not factoring in Rose). If I'm looking at a PG to lead my team, my list:

1) Paul
2) Williams
3) Rondo
4) Rose (until proven otherwise)
5) Parker
6) Russ
7) Nash
8) Holiday
9) Irving
10) Curry
11) Lawson
12) Conley
13) Rubio
14) Wall
15) Lowry
16) Jennings

These PG's going in order will give my team the best chance at winning. After Nash, I start looking at players who really make a difference on the floor, assist/TO ratio, overall decisions, defense and actually being a floor general. And that's why Wall is so low on my list. Because I feel like his decision making is bad, he turns the all over alot, I don't trust him with the game on the line and I'll have to see him with better players around him this season to further evaluate.

Eventually, Wall's overall talent will boost him up on the list if he takes the next steps. I'm just not a big fan of PG's who make a lot of bad decisions, because they actually suppose to do the complete opposite.

Last edited:
he's an average playmaker with average court vision.

Oh ok.

When you can make a better evaluation, feel free to discuss. I think because he's a lot less flashy than the new breed of PG's, people don't recognize how good he's been over the past two seasons, especially during playoff time going up against Parker, Westbrook and Paul. He was the best player in the playoffs on that Memphis squad last season and had to defend Paul for most of the game.

#8 in pure PG rating, #2 in steals and the only PG outside of Paul to average more steals than turnovers last season. He had the 4th lowest usage rate amongst PG's last season, but I'm expecting him to jump to 16ppg, 7.5apg, 2spg, 1.5tpg on 45/40/85 scale.

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me but I'm leaning toward the point where I kind of like Russ/Rajon more than anybody else...

Oh ok.
When you can make a better evaluation, feel free to discuss. I think because he's a lot less flashy than the new breed of PG's, people don't recognize how good he's been over the past two seasons, especially during playoff time going up against Parker, Westbrook and Paul. He was the best player in the playoffs on that Memphis squad last season and had to defend Paul for most of the game.

what playoff series were you watching? he was awful against the clippers. bledsoe outplayed him in limited minutes. he struggled to get into the paint and when he did he rarely found the open man

and its not about flash, but dude simply does not create plays for his teammates. take off your homer glasses

Y'all really think if you switched Russ and CP3 the difference in team play or ranking would be much different? Cause I don't...When Rose is healthy, CP3 is leagues above him? CP3 was mediocre in the playoffs last year, I agree in terms of pure PG he';s the best but that's just a very shallow lens to look at a player through..

:smh:

what playoff series were you watching? he was awful against the clippers. bledsoe outplayed him in limited minutes. he struggled to get into the paint and when he did he rarely found the open man
and its not about flash, but dude simply does not create plays for his teammates. take off your homer glasses

14ppg, 7apg, 3rpg, 1 stl, 11/22 from 3. Bledsoe killed the entire Memphis team due to his energy on the floor. I remember Bledsoe ripping OJ apart from pressing him off the inbounds. The whole damn reason why Conley played 40 minutes because they had no one else that could handle the ball against pressure. He faced Paul, Bledsoe and even guarded bigger players like Young and Foye.

The only game he played terrible in was Game 7 and he was sick on top of being the only guard on the team that could do anything. On the season, per 82Games.com, the Grizzlies' scoring fell by six points per 100 possessions when Conley went to the bench. Without Conley, Memphis goes from being a top 4-5 seed in the West to a 7-8 seed. Its simple, the guy is very important to his teams success.

And tell me this...what post oriented offense with a lack of shooters, has a PG thats creating players constantly? Have you ever thought about him maybe running the teams offense? He can't freelance like most PG's do, on top of him having one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league last season. Can he be better at creating? Yes. But, Memphis is just now putting more shooters around him to give him an advantage by opening up the floor with more spacing. He also has Bayless now that will allow him to play off the ball and be more of a shooter.

My main concern with Conley was finishing at the rim and defending bigger guards. Now, that he's added 13 pounds of muscle over the summer, I think he'll improve in both of those aspects. On top of him being more efficient in less minutes with an actual backup PG that can play extended minutes this season. Hence, why I have him taking big steps this season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom