2012-2013 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread. VOL: 17-23, last time I updated thread, they were 11-10...

Kaman active, Dominique Jones/Marion not active.

So looking like...

Fisher/Collison/Cunningham
OJ/Dahntay/Beaubois
Jae/Vince
Brand/Wright
Kaman/James.

Shocked if we see Cunningham or Beaubois log heavy minutes tonight. Need big games from the bigs to pull this out.

Second quarter sealed the game for us.

It's fun to watch your team when they're clicking on all cylinders. OJ set the tone for us early and even though he played the entire first quarter (where he got more than half of his points), they only needed him for a total of 28 minutes, which is great. Sure, he didn't put up a ton of numbers, but that is fine with me when we have such a balanced attack. Fisher probably had his best game as a Maverick, with 11 points and 6 assists, and didn't turn the ball over.

The defense was a bit lazy at times, especially on DeMarcus and Francisco, but they couldn't take care of the ball, so it wasn't too bad.

Another great scoring effort from all of the bigs tonight. 18 for Kaman, 8 for Wright, and 8 for Brand off the bench, a combined 34 points. You'd like to see them combine for more than 13 rebounds, but a lot of the guards got rebounds tonight, which is fine too because it sets the pace of the offense. Brand was also very active on defense in the paint, frustrating guys like Thomas Robinson and DMC.

It was great to see both Jae and Darren get on track. Darren still had a few too many turnovers for my liking, but he played a great game out there. He stopped trying to force the issue by getting everyone involved and looking for his shot. Jae approached it differently, by just being active on both ends and letting his shots come when they felt comfortable. He didn't start great, but he edged into a comfortably good game.

Onto Boston Wednesday, where we meet JET for the first time in a different jersey |I .

I haven't been to a game yet this year.

But if that Gucci and Juiceman doesn't come on when OJ enters the game I will be disappoint.

Carlisle made the idiotic decision of not sticking with what worked with the bigs..

What else is new.

t I hope not.

At best he's the third option on a championship team.

This is just so...wrong...

I mean I could see how you could say that, but he's really starting to round into form. He's becoming someone that you can throw the ball to and make plays for himself and others. His TO's are down, he's under control with his shot attempts, gets everybody involved/making his teammates better, and is giving you 18 to 20 a night. This, unlike at the beginning of the season, is what is more inline with who he truly is as a player imo.

So while I can see where you are coming from, that third best option on a championship team is just...wrong. I think at this point he's a very good/capable 2nd option on a winning/playoff team and if he can keep this 20/5/5 ish type of deal going, then his ceiling is higher than 3rd option.

Said in the NBA thread that this team looked like they were going to turn the corner because of how well they were playing even in losses, so it's good to see them having the success that they are supposed to be having.

If we're going to make a run for the Playoffs, we can't lose to teams like New Orleans or Toronto anymore, and we have to be above .500 against teams in the Playoffs. It's asking a lot, but that's what it's going to have to take this year.

This run will have to be better than the 2010-2011 run that made us Champions, and that's just to get us to the Playoffs... :lol:

OJ seems to have woken up after the Miami game. He had 6 turnovers, yes, but still had a good game. Good shooting, plenty of assists, and scoring when we needed it.

Since that game? 4.8:1.1 ATO, almost a 5:1 ATO. That's incredibly efficient for a guy like OJ. He shot poorly tonight, absolutely, but he has been doing enough on the court to make up for a poor shooting performance.

Elton Brand is the goddamn man though. Over his last eight, shooting 64%, and averaging 10/6/2 blocks. May not seem like much, but off the bench, God it's great. Kaman has struggled as of late, and there's no more of this bullcrap where Dirk finishes the floor as a Center. I hate that. That kills our defense. Elton Brand showed tonight when he deserves crunch time minutes.

OJ, Darren, Marion, Dirk, and Brand. That should be our closers every night, unless Vince is amazingly hot, but he sucks for the most part anyways. :lol:

If we're going to make a run for the Playoffs, we can't lose to teams like New Orleans or Toronto anymore, and we have to be above .500 against teams in the Playoffs. It's asking a lot, but that's what it's going to have to take this year.

This run will have to be better than the 2010-2011 run that made us Champions, and that's just to get us to the Playoffs... :lol:

OJ seems to have woken up after the Miami game. He had 6 turnovers, yes, but still had a good game. Good shooting, plenty of assists, and scoring when we needed it.

Since that game? 4.8:1.1 ATO, almost a 5:1 ATO. That's incredibly efficient for a guy like OJ. He shot poorly tonight, absolutely, but he has been doing enough on the court to make up for a poor shooting performance.

Elton Brand is the goddamn man though. Over his last eight, shooting 64%, and averaging 10/6/2 blocks. May not seem like much, but off the bench, God it's great. Kaman has struggled as of late, and there's no more of this bullcrap where Dirk finishes the floor as a Center. I hate that. That kills our defense. Elton Brand showed tonight when he deserves crunch time minutes.

OJ, Darren, Marion, Dirk, and Brand. That should be our closers every night, unless Vince is amazingly hot, but he sucks for the most part anyways. :lol:

Me and you saw what it took Rick 3 months to see. Elton deserves minutes.

The schedule for the Mavs is starting to get a little softer. Perfect time for our boys to get on a roll. With that said, 4 straight!

Cant wait to get back from deployment so I can watch the Mavs on the reg.NBA LP should be cheaper on XBL by then, hopefully..

:smokin looking good.. Hopefully they can keep it up w/ Houston and now the Warriors with Curry being out looking like they're gonna drop off

Me and you saw what it took Rick 3 months to see. Elton deserves minutes.

It's absurd that he doesn't get the majority of minutes every night. He should be at 30 MPG, as long as his body permits it. Kaman should be in a VC kind of role, offense off the bench.

Dont think I have checked in this season yet....its been rough. Kaman bugs the hell out of me. Going to the Mavs/OKC game Friday night. Need to get the win.

Dont think I have checked in this season yet....its been rough. Kaman bugs the hell out of me. Going to the Mavs/OKC game Friday night. Need to get the win.

How you been Trey?

Kaman was alright earlier on in the season, but he's also really started to grate my nerves recently.

How you been Trey?

Kaman was alright earlier on in the season, but he's also really started to grate my nerves recently.

Good man. Just working, grinding, and chillin when I can. How you been?

I can't help but think about all the blown games at the beginning of season :smh:

Vince has been playing really good

I can't help but think about all the blown games at the beginning of season :smh:

Vince has been playing really good

If they could close out games half as good as they have in earlier seasons, we'd at least be the sixth seed. Not even joking.

I thought this was telling; all of the guys that have played in a Mavericks uniform this pre-season/season.

PG- Darren Collison, Delonte West, Derek Fisher, Mike James, Chris Wright.
SG- OJ Mayo, Dahntay Jones, Dominique Jones, Roddy Beaubois, Jared Cunningham, Anthony Morrow.
SF- Shawn Marion, Vince Carter, Jae Crowder, Chris Douglas-Roberts.
PF- Dirk Nowitzki, Brandan Wright, Troy Murphy.
C- Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, Eddy Curry, Bernard James.

And now Justin Dentmon will join the team with a 10-day contract. :rofl:

That's 23 players, :smh:

Just because I'm still dreading all of the bad losses we've had this year....

October 31st @ Utah- At halftime, Mavericks were up eight and in control. Outscored by 24 in the third quarter, lost by 19
November 10th @ Charlotte- Dominated the first half and were up eleven, but we couldn't rebound and let the game go in the fourth. We lead by seven in the fourth, but ended up losing by four in OT. They were up FOUR with 22 seconds left. They got fouled when they made a basket, and the Mavericks couldn't box out on the free throw, and they put it in the basket. Despicable.

November 19th VS Golden State- Mavs battled back and took a five point lead in the fourth, and three points with four minutes left, and had a chance to win at the buzzer, but it went into OT and we lost when we couldn't rebound, again.

November 27th @ Philly- Admittedly this is one of the closer games, but OJ Mayo had a chance to tie the game to end regulation on the FREE THROW line, but he missed the first, and then we had an opportunity to win it after we got away a Jae Crowder three. Lost by two.

December 12th @ Boston- Another nail biter, but what happens? OJ Mayo misses free throws again. This time, it could have won us the game. We were down one with a minute left, OJ ties the game with the first free throw, and misses the second. We get another shot at the win, and OJ Mayo turns the ball over, again. We battle in two overtimes, but end up losing. But another game we should have had, if we could just hit free throws.

December 15th @ Minny- Mavs up two with a minute left, force missed shots, but can't grab rebound, allow T-Wolves to get into overtime, but they run us out.

December 27th @ OKC- This is one of those that really hurt. Dirk is back. We're up 10 with 8:25 left, but they run us the last five mintues of the game, while we just turn the ball over. We get an amazing shot to force OT. We have a chance to tie it on the FT line with OJ Mayo again. He misses 2 of 3, and we are forced to foul and we lose the game. Third time in a month span that we lost a game on the FT line when we could've had it.

January 5th VS NOH- Okay, Dirk's back in the starting lineup, all is well. Mavs up eight with two minutes left in the third quarter. Then uh, what? New Orleans goes on a 10-0 run. We battle all fourth quarter, and then we're down one with the ball and 18 seconds left. Dirk get's fouled!?!?!? Great! This game is a WRAP. Dirk splits free throws when we could've taken the lead. They don't score, and we go into overtime. We're up three in overtime, but can't close it out, and lose with a game-tying miss by Vince Carter. Again, Dirk missing free throws that could've sealed a game.

January 7th @ Utah- Mavs go into the fourth quarter with an eight point lead, and have a six point lead with six minutes to go. The Mavs proceed to turn the ball over six times in the fourth quarter, get technicals, and lose composure and can't battle back. Because of this loss, Dallas no longer wins the season series against Utah, which could impact them in April.

January 9th @ LAC- Mavericks up 10 with two minutes left in the third, and let them cut it to four to start the fourth. Mavericks proceed to turn the ball over, get out-rebounded, and lose another game they were in firm control of.

January 18th VS OKC- Mavs were outplayed for three quarters, but in the fourth they show something. Mavs overcame a nine-point fourth quarter deficit to get a three point lead, but we allow Russell and Durant to get to the line a combined 10 times in the fourth quarter, and we send it to overtime with a tying three by OJ. In Overtime, Dirk misses free throws that can shorten the lead, Mavs turn the ball over, they keep a putrid Mike James in the game late, even though Darren Collison outplayed him. There's one game that was lost due to lineups. Mike James didn't seem that bad with 4/7, 10 points and 2 assists, but Collison was much better at 5/8, 15 points and six assists, and turning it over two less possessions even though he played eight more minutes. But for whatever goddamn reason, Darren Collison ended the game on the bench.

January 29th @ POR- This is probably the most annoying loss all season. We were up 17 at halftime. We were up 20 with 6:48 left in the third. What happens in the fourth? We turn the ball over eight times int he fourth, and the refs mess up a call that ends up being an offensive foul on Mayo, which should've been two free throws when the game was tied with 1.5 seconds left. So what happens after that? Of course, LMA hits a fading turn around jumper to end the game. There's no reason the Blazers should have won this game, but we let them have it. Unreal. And Sad.

January 31st @ GS- I was at this game, and I wasn't as upset as I am now because it was a great game, a game that was pretty close all throughout, even though Dallas never took the lead in the game. Mavs go to the line with 43 seconds left. Mayo has a chance to tie the game. What happens? He splits them. Then when we have the ball with six seconds left, Wright was fouled but there was no call. Jack hits free throws and Vince ends up missing a game-tying three. But what's irritating is the missed foul call. Bogut hit his arm, and it's a game that we could've had. But missed calls and free throws.

February 24th VS LAL- This isn't one of those games where the refs blew this one, but where we could've done more. Dirk had a great night, looked fresh, but Kobe looked greater. The Lakers start ot get physical with Dirk, he gets frustrated, gets a technical, but the Mavs are still winning. Mayo also gets a technical in the fourth, there's two points. Dirk misses free throws, and we're forced to foul. We can't get Dirk open shots, and it's just the small things that lost us this game. We let them have 10 points on the free throw line in the fourth, which we can't have if we want to win basketball games. We now lost the chance to win the series with them, and have to beat them in a week to tie.

February 26th VS MIL- What? Mavs giving up a fourth quarter lead? Oh, well, what else is new? The Bucks spoil Dirk's first 20/20 game in a longass time. After a four point play, the Mavs lead the Bucks by 7 with 6:50 minutes left. They were still up five with 3:12 left. Ellis goes nuts, we turn the ball over, and they tie the game. We turn the ball over seven times in the fourth quarter, and that's a death sentence no matter how much you are up.

February 27th @ MEM- What happens when you outscore the Grizzlies by 19 in the first quarter of a basketball game? They outscore you in the third quarter by 19. We scored FIVE POINTS in the third quarter. That is infuriating. And we end up losing by 6? If we have a MEDIOCRE third quarter, we could have been in this game. They scored 38 in the first 12 minutes, and 46 points in the next 36 minutes. That is absolutely putrid. In the second and third quarters combined for 22 points? HORRID. We were only down two with 3 minutes left, but good ol Mike James gave us a shot in the arm by shooting 2/10. We committed 21 turnovers, and got out-rebounded by 12. We lost this game on fundamentals, because we outshot them 43% to 38%. Another one of those games that we absolutely shouldn't have lost.

March 14th @ SA- This is one of the games where if we had Jason Kidd or Jason Terry to help us in this game, we probably win. We stole back the lead with 7:46 left, and with 28 seconds left, Dirk brings them within one. We get the ball back with 9 seconds left. What happens? We can't get Dirk the goddamn ball, and instead of going for two, Vince goes for three when we could have won on a stupip layup. Jason Kidd would have gotten Dirk the ball. Getting Dirk the ball was NEVER an issue when Kidd was here. Jason Terry would've ran a simple pick and pop with Dirk. That's plenty of time for those two. Not these idiots around Dirk. Nope. Instead we lose again.

March 17th VS OKC- This is a game where injuries really hurt us. Kevin Durant goes OFF int he fourth quarter, and we didn't have anyone on the roster who could stop him. Vince and Jae were the only guys available out there. It wasn't enough. We didn't have Marion, and Durant went off for 19 in the fourth after being cold the rest of the game. We tie the game with 1:20 left, and when we have the ball down two, what happens? Mike James dribbles the ball for 24 seconds and puts up a horrid shot against Durant. Mike James hurting us again at the end of games. What's frustrating is that Dirk was 8/10 int his game, but we just couldn't get him the ball. People keep saying how Dirk has regressed, but he's rebounded to shooting 46% for this year after starting out really rough.

March 20th VS BKN- We jump out to an early lead, and end with a ten point lead after one. Mavs cut it to as little as three in the fourth quarter, but Deron Williams went on an unbelievable shooting stretch, and there was little that we could do to come back, as he scored 13 in the fourth. Good ol Mike James took more shots than Dirk Nowitzki, who was 8/10 from the game. Inexcusable that Dirk can't get more shots.

That's 19 games. 19 games that we have been on the cusp of winning, but we couldn't close out. Before, we won 90% of these kind of games. Not this year. Not with Mike James leading this team. Not with OJ Mayo missing free throws. Not with Darren and OJ turning the ball over.

If we would have won just half of those games, the Mavs would be comfortably in the sixth seed, threatening as high as the third seed.

The Mavs are now 21-20 with Dirk Nowitzki, and 20-15 with him in the starting lineup, and it's just a shame he wasn't here all season.

The game against Charlotte where we couldn't rebound, Philly and Boston where we couldn't hit free throws, we give up a ten point fourth quarter lead against OKC, the game where Dirk misses free throws against New Orleans, the game we gave up an eight point lead to Utah, the blown calls against Portland and Golden State, the game where we turn the ball seven times against Milwaukee and blow a 7 point lead deep in the fourth, and the game against Memphis where we scored five points in the third quarter.

That's ten inexcusable losses right there. Where we should have won those games, but because we were mentally incompetent, we didn't win those.

But, that's the NBA, the margin of being good and bad can sometimes be so minimal.

And that's been this Mavs season in a nutshell.

View media item 330911
That's how you've just got to feel, because it's sad thinking of all the lost opportunities this season.

^ It's karma and the universe balancing itself out after spoiling us the last 10+ years :smh: |I

When will the Spurs go through a bad phase :smh:

Ain't no karma. We never did nothing wrong.

True on that but I meant more in the sense that we've been spoiled as fans for over a decade now (once again, also not saying it's our fault we're fans of a team whose owner set the standards and raised the bar to the highest level) but it's almost unheard of for a team to have sustained success for that long without any down years in between.

Look at all the other teams in the league and each one went through at least one non-playoff season and/or went through a couple ugly time periods; all with the exception of the Spurs.

And to reiterate, it's not rocket science why the Mavs have sucked this year but still disheartening and a foreign feeling to know they have no legit shot at winning the championship this year; let alone make the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom