2012 New York Jets Off-season thread Vol. LDT reacts to Sanchez/Holmes.. Jets @ Rams in London?

Add getting rid of Holmes to the list.  Which means Jets need 2 receivers now?
ohwell.gif
sick.gif

A lot of work needs to be done this off season and it's going to be difficult.

I feel bad for Revis.

SO many places I could go with this.

First and foremost, YES Schotty needs to go but honestly, Sanchez is just as responsible for the offensive struggles. They were just a BAD combo in 2011.

There was some very questionable play calling but I saw Sanchez time and time again stutter step in the pocket only to overthrow a receiver who could have EASILY made the catch had the quarterback thrown a catchable ball.

Yes a legitimate, every down RB (with speed) would help take the pressure of Sanchez' shoulders (he obviously cant carry a team) but the thing is, he's seemingly regressed from the game manager that he was last year and that's a SERIOUS problem.

O-Line? Of course. Brick is still a good LT, Mangold is Mangold and Moore played very well this season. Slausson isn't a top 5 guard but he is serviceable. RIGHT TACKLE NEEDS TO BE UPGRADED, preferrably with someone who's strength is run blocking.

Keller dropped a few passes but he was solid (and sometimes more than that). Who knows how the Holmes situation will turn out? but the truth is if the GM/Coach/Owner care about chemistry there's no way he should return. Dude was a JOKE of a captain, and he's supposed to come back next year for players to trust the effort he puts forth? Na man we're good on that.

Plax is old but still productive and I actually really liked the way he carried himself this year. Him and Kerley should be back. Don't bring back Patrick Turner though.

If a pass rushing DE (I don't see a problem with taking another DL in the 1st) or a speedy LB is there when we're on the clock in the 1st, do it, or maybe a right tackle.

Get Bryan Thomas out, get Bart Scott out. Pace and Harris will be back (wouldn't be mad if Pace didn't though). Maybin might start next year but we still need a fast LB that can cover tight ends.

Im not thrilled about our cornerback situation other than Revis but I feel like there won't be any changes made there. We NEED to upgrade safeties though, draft 1 early (a fast one) and sign somebody cause Smith and Pool are NOT IT.

Looking at the list now...we have a LOT of work to do.

1. Need a RB
2. Need to replace safety (SS and FS)
3. Get a right tackle
4. Get OLB's to replace Scott and Thomas
5. Replace Holmes and maybe Burress
6. Need a pass rusher
7. Get a new offensive coordinator

It sounds like we're in rebuilding mode
frown.gif

Schotty & Holmes to remain aboard, Sanchez opening-day starter

In a joint press conference today, Jets coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum did not announce any changes to the make-up of their 8-8 team that missed the playoffs. Notably, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and receiver Santonio Holmes will be back with the team, and Mark Sanchez will not be replaced as the Jets' starting quarterback.

As Ryan said last week, Schottenheimer will be back with the team next season in his current role, if he is not hired else where as a head coach. Tannenbaum confirmed that Jacksonville asked for and was granted permission to interview Schottenheimer for its head-coaching vacancy.

Asked how solid the Jets were in their decision to hang on to Schottenheimer despite an underachieving offense, Ryan said Schottenheimer is an "outstanding football coach" and called the criticism of him "unfair."

Ryan said the Jets will move forward with Holmes, despite his late-game antics in Sunday's loss to Miami which led to him being benched by Schottenheimer.

"There's a lot of positive things about Santonio," Ryan said. "Are there some things we need to get corrected? Absolutely. And it's not just with him, but others as well, myself."

But Ryan said neither Holmes nor any other player in the Jets locker room will be a captain next season.

"To be honest with you, this is something I think I made a huge mistake in," Ryan said. "Not just by naming Santonio a captain, but all the captain things. It's not something I truly believe in, but I put that thing on there. That’s not a reflection of anybody in particular, but we are not going to have those anymore. ... I think that pulls away from the team a little bit. That may work for other franchises, but it doesn’t work for me."

Tannenbaum acknowledged that Sanchez needs to improve but called him a "GM's dream" because of his work ethic and commitment to the team. Regardless of what other quarterbacks may be available this offseason, Tannenbaum said Sanchez will be the Jets' starter in 2012.

With that said, we’ll look at every position and if we can add tweak or change it; we’ll look at the quarterback position as a whole," Tannenbaum said. "But as far as the starter goes, it is Mark."

Tannenbaum did not say if Sanchez may need any offseason tests or procedures on his neck and shoulder. He said only that the medical evaluations of players are "incomplete."

Bill Callahan's contract with the team as assistant head coach/offensive line coach is up, but Tannenbaum said they will work with him in the coming days and would like to bring him back.

Tannenbaum was more lukewarm on bringing WR Plaxico Burress back, saying "we'll look at everything."

Both Ryan and Tannenbaum met with several players today, but they did not disclose if Holmes was among that group. During those meetings, Ryan said he realized he was not as in touch with the team as he had been in his first two seasons, or needs to be.

"I don't think I had the pulse of our team the way I've done in the past," he said.

I hope this is just the-day-after talk and changes are made. I will be praying the Jaguars love Schotty and hire him for their HC.

Smh at bringing Holmes back.

Receivers are expendable. There's a reason every team that got rid of randy moss had a better record the following year. Same with the steelers going from 9-7 in 09 to the super bowl after trading him. Hell the jets were 3-1 without him when he was suspended In 2010.

Hell the 97 49ers went 13-3 without Jerry rice.

Bottom line is wide receivers are replacable.

Unless the teams qb's name was Brady brees manning or Rodgers, they would've underachieved with that piss poor o line and the teams other flaws. That said a capable backup better be there next season

we need to fix the defense first of all offensive is fine add another running back to compliment S.greene cause LT will not come back a pass rusher at elite status new safeties

Ding-dong, the witch is dead!!

Definitely happy Schotty is gone (should be good if he goes to Alabama), NOT happy about Sporano hiring. I was hoping we'd get Hue Jackson.

Also, if we do end up hiring Todd Haley as the 'passing game coordinator', who would be calling the plays into Sanchez?
nerd.gif

Bye bye Bill Callahan... says a lot to take the same job w/ another franchise. Meh.

I'm not watching this team next year if Chad Henne and Mark Sanchez are our QB...

And with Santoni, he's a headcase but a talented one.  You put him with a good QB to push him and keep him happy he's a top ten receiver.  You surround him with a bum @$* QB he'll go sour quick.

I don't see any reason why this franchise shouldn't go balls out for Peyton.et him for a 1-2 year stretch hope to make something of it, if not start rebuilding again.

Henne coming for Sanchez's job? 
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

No need to thank me, you can send your apologies to my email, YouwasrightCP @yahoo.com 
happy.gif

Our season ended almost 2 weeks ago. Yet we stay in the news.

Glad Schotty is gone

If Santonio ever gets open he would get the ball. He caught around his yearly average

Originally Posted by ksteezy

is it true the Jets are calling for Peyton?
roll.gif
I mean, I don't see why it's funny for Jets fans to want/think about Peyton. Do I think he will be a Jet? Not at all, and I hope it doesn't (because I personally don't think he is going to be the same player he once was), but Jets fans that just follow the team weekly and don't expand to message boards (voicing their opinion in much more detail), would most certainly welcome in Peyton if given the chance.

gandolfini%20x-wide-community.jpg

My OC
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

is it true the Jets are calling for Peyton?
roll.gif

A former 4 time MVP and SB champion who might become available and can actually make the passes that our current quarterback can't.. Who would want that right?

264ntom.jpg

lmao the jets need a new everything.

lol at sanchez has the tools to be a great qb. nah he's just a tool.

garbage coashing staff.

garbage offense.

garbage defense.

yall bought the hype and got nothing in return.

YOU NEED TO GET RID OF RYAN. KILL THE SNAKE AT THE HEAD.

ole one cheeseburger away from cardiac arrest the only thing i should guarantee is diabetes or an early death lookin bwoi.

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

ole one cheeseburger away from cardiac arrest the only thing i should guarantee is diabetes or an early death lookin bwoi.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Jets aren't as much of a mess right now as everybody thinks. Regardless, I think it's a good thing that players and fans have this open dialogue as to what they'd like to see happen with the team. Whens the last time you had an abundance of players reiterating the same exact things that fans were saying? Normally you're just stuck with whatever mess management decides to put out on the field. These days you have fans pressuring teams to make moves and now we have our players putting the pressure on too. Over the last ten or so years the Jets normally make it into the playoffs here or there to squeek out one win and whimper back into the abyss with a "good job little fella" pat on the back. We didn't even have a losing season and the scenario has completely been turned on its head. I'm loving it.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

Jets aren't as much of a mess right now as everybody thinks. Regardless, I think it's a good thing that players and fans have this open dialogue as to what they'd like to see happen with the team. Whens the last time you had an abundance of players reiterating the same exact things that fans were saying? Normally you're just stuck with whatever mess management decides to put out on the field. These days you have fans pressuring teams to make moves and now we have our players putting the pressure on too. Over the last ten or so years the Jets normally make it into the playoffs here or there to squeek out one win and whimper back into the abyss with a "good job little fella" pat on the back. We didn't even have a losing season and the scenario has completely been turned on its head. I'm loving it.
I disagree. It's not just about Rex Ryan's antics and the bad personalities in the locker room, the player personnel on defense has diminished. No one fears Mike Pettine's schemes. Mark Sanchez is always a major cause for concern as well. When will he take the next step?
The Miami Dolphins are honestly a good HC hiring and franchise QB away from being the second best team in the AFC East. I know opinions around the league are that Miami isn't a desirable destination, but there's immense talent on that roster especially defensively. 

Back
Top Bottom