2012 Summer Olympics Thread: London July 27 - August 12

Respect to Japan though, the way they possess the ball is mesmerizing...look like a lil barcelona out there :lol: this was another GREAT game :smokin :smokin :smokin two contrasting styles but awesome stuff

That's because they are way more skilled than the U.S. women. The U.S. rely on athleticism and just being bigger than Japan.
If Morgan had any skills to go along with her athleticism they U.S. would have won 5-1.
The men's team have the same approach. Good fitness and no skills but that does not work against men :lol:

The U.S. should have been called on 2 penalties in these last two games. I don't buy the "refs miss calls" bs because the reason they advanced was because
they had a penalty called in their favor.

Redemption? They lost the world cup final and will never get that back unless both teams play again in the next one. Gold is nice but World Cup is superior.
Once other countries catch up in terms of fitness it will be a wrap just like the Men's team.

Look at this dude :rofl:

Making excuses to make himself feel good ... WC > Olympics? Thats ur saftey net :lol:

Oh i thought Japan didnt care?

Explain the players crying their eyes out if they dont care and this meant nothing....

Sit ur *** down

Last edited:
I have to actually agree with knightngale,

the penalty handball would have changed the dynamic of the game and made the game 10x more exciting.

and hope solo lucky as fuuuuuu with her defenders making 3 line stops to prevent goals.

Wish Sawa could have done more of her magic, but she was looking slow from the start.
But Japan has so much skill to keep up with the US.

and to the guy that said Alex Morgan was like Robben, uncanny...

speed then cuts left. everytime...

Respect to Japan though, the way they possess the ball is mesmerizing...look like a lil barcelona out there :lol: this was another GREAT game :smokin :smokin :smokin two contrasting styles but awesome stuff

That's because they are way more skilled than the U.S. women. The U.S. rely on athleticism and just being bigger than Japan.
If Morgan had any skills to go along with her athleticism they U.S. would have won 5-1.
The men's team have the same approach. Good fitness and no skills but that does not work against men :lol:

The U.S. should have been called on 2 penalties in these last two games. I don't buy the "refs miss calls" bs because the reason they advanced was because
they had a penalty called in their favor.

Redemption? They lost the world cup final and will never get that back unless both teams play again in the next one. Gold is nice but World Cup is superior.
Once other countries catch up in terms of fitness it will be a wrap just like the Men's team.

Crazy to me that a country with 3 million people (Jamaica) was able to sweep the medals in the 200m. We have 310 million people and we're not even the fastest? Crazy.

Japan was not as sharp or as in shape as the world cup. They care more about that tournament for sure.

There is no better safety net than the world cup. Do you even follow soccer? Other tournaments/cups
are second place by a long shot.

Plus they also have decent refs in the world cup compared to the olympics.

Most people were watching Usain win gold than watching the women's team play in this second hand tournament.

We all know the World Cup is the biggest stage for soccer but damn man let them have their moment.

Japan was not as sharp or as in shape as the world cup. They care more about that tournament for sure.
There is no better safety net than the world cup. Do you even follow soccer? Other tournaments/cups
Most people were watching Usain win gold than watching the women's team play in this second hand tournament.

The douchebaggy team won. Went undefeated. Beat YOUR Japan. You mad. Blind hatred. You say no redemption occurred but you a Japan fan, mad ... Jpn players were crying. We got Gold . We're #1 in the world...

And no i dont. Do you? And regardless, it doesnt take a soccer guru to know the magnitude of the Olympics and a Gold Medal.

And so what? There a plenty of events going on at one moment.. Just because a FIFA WC Tourney is strictly a soccer tournament in itself doesnt negate a gold medal and the olympics... :lol: and doesnt negate a victory against the team that won the WC last yr... REDEMPTION... And you mad... :lol:

Get over it...

Last edited:
The Germans upset the Brasilians in the beach volleyball final. Didn't expect that to happen.

The douchebaggy team won. Went undefeated. Beat YOUR Japan. You mad. Blind hatred. You say no redemption occurred but you a Japan fan, mad ... Jpn players were crying. We got Gold . We're #1 in the world...

And no i dont. Do you? And regardless, it doesnt take a soccer guru to know the magnitude of the Olympics and a Gold Medal.

And so what? There a plenty of events going on at one moment.. Just because a FIFA WC Tourney is strictly a soccer tournament in itself doesnt negate a gold medal and the olympics...
laugh.gif
and doesnt negate a victory against the team that won the WC last yr... REDEMPTION... And you mad...
laugh.gif

Get over it...
Dude lost all sentence structure too. 
roll.gif

I'll post again, because I think most of you guys missed it due to the footba... "soccer"  
tongue.gif
 (congrats USA!)

When you get a chance check out the 800m final, one of the best races of the games so far.

"All but one of the eight athletes in the field ran personal bests and the time run by Britain's Andrew Osagie, who was last to cross the line, would have been good enough for gold at the last three Games."

This makes me question whether you actually watch the game with blinders on.....the SAME REF who reffed the WC final did this game, please stop with your ridiculous posts.....the Japanese team themselves aren't even making excuses like you....I bet if it was raining you'd use that excuse, or maybe if the Japanese team had to travel further than the US team, or had one less day of rest, oh wait the US team had to travel and had less rest so put your arguments to bed...US women have been #1 in FIFA rankings for 3 yrs now, other countries recognize them as the best in the world...you seem like the type to say the German men's national team isn't good because they rely on direct play and aerial attacks rather than Spain which plays possession....seriously you don't have a clue what you're talking about both teams use their strengths well...the US won and has beaten Japan EVERY time they've played with the exception of a WC game that went to shootouts which is a total wildcard and coin flip. Did Alex Morgan turn you down for senior prom man? Jeez

I'll post again, because I think most of you guys missed it due to the footba... "soccer" :tongue:  (congrats USA!)

When you get a chance check out the 800m final, one of the best races of the games so far.

"All but one of the eight athletes in the field ran personal bests and the time run by Britain's Andrew Osagie, who was last to cross the line, would have been good enough for gold at the last three Games."

:wow: :wow: that's gotta suck knowing you ran your personal best and a time better than the winner in the last 3 olympics and came in 8th :smh:

[h1]Olympic Bodies: They Just Don't Make Them Like They Used To[/h1]

by ADAM COLE

[h3]Listen to the Story[/h3]
Morning Edition

[3 min 44 sec]

04:19 am

August 9, 2012

The Olympic Games seem to celebrate the extremes of athletic physique — from tiny gymnasts to impossibly huge shot-putters. But why are they shaped that way?

[h3]sports[/h3][h3]INFOGRAPHIC: Olympic Physics[/h3]

We've put together an infographic  that explores how athletes' bodies have changed over the last century, and the role physics plays in each event. Here on Shots, we're taking a look at some of the athletes featured in the graphic.
[h3]Men's 100-Meter Sprint[/h3]
For decades, sprinters have been getting taller, propelled upward by a simple law of physics. Sprinting is basically a controlled forward fall. Runners with higher centers of gravity can fall forward faster — and the taller you are, the higher your center of gravity.

Athletes of West African descent have a center of gravity that is 3 percent higher than Europeans, and they tend to dominate sprinting events.

sprinters_custom.jpg

[h3]  [/h3][h3]Women's Marathon[/h3]
The biggest problem for marathon runners is body heat. Having a small, thin body helps maximize heat dissipation. While some distance runners are shorter and some are taller, all are extremely light.

marathon_custom.jpg

[h3]Men's Weightlifting[/h3]
Weightlifters come in all sizes, but they tend to have one thing in common: short legs and short arms. Because of their shorter limbs, they don't have to lift their barbells quite so high, so they expend less energy.

Bantamweight champions can lift three times their body weight — heavyweights, less than two.

weightlifters_custom.jpg

[h3]Women's Single Scull[/h3]
Rowing favors tall athletes who can take long, powerful strokes for efficient sculling.

rowers_custom.jpg

[h3]Men's 100-Meter Freestyle[/h3]
The ideal swimmer's physique: short, powerful legs, a huge wingspan, large hands and feet and a long, tapered torso. Asians have the longest torsos relative to their body size, but they tend to be shorter, so swimming has long been dominated by Europeans.

swimmers_custom.jpg

[h3]Men's Gymnastics[/h3]
If you are going to be twisting and turning rapidly through the air, it helps if there is less of you to turn. That's one reason gymnasts are so small. They have some of the lowest body fat percentages in sports, and the body mass index of gold medalists has been declining for the past 50 years.

gymnasts_custom.jpg

There are a lot more details about the physics behind Olympic physiques in the full infographic, so be sure to check it out.

why was lolo jones teammates throwing shade like that? just happened to catch the video

Kobe. Does. Not. Care. 
roll.gif

[h1]Kobe Bryant says he has nothing to learn from his Team USA teammates[/h1]
6 hours ago by SteveDel

Kobe.jpg

Kobe Bryant  has the type of sarcastic attitude where you can never tell if he’s joking or serious. He’s one of the cockiest players in the history of the NBA, which is also why he is one of the most successful and a lock for the Hall of Fame. To many players, Olympic basketball is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and a learning experience. Kobe, on the other hand, is too good for all that.

According to USA TODAY Sports, Bryant says he is in a place in his career that everyone else on the team wants to get to. He also says there is no player on the Team USA roster  that can teach him anything.

“I’m where everybody wants to get to,” Kobe said when asked what it’s like to be the old guy on the team. “I just happen to be still playing.”

He was then asked if he can learn anything form the younger players on the team.

“No,” he replied. ”I don’t know if I know it all, but I know more than they do.”

Oh yeah, and he is also the self-proclaimed best post player on the team — ahead of lone center Tyson Chandler.

“No, no, no,” Kobe interrupted when asked if he was the second-best post player behind Chandler. “Not other than Tyson Chandler. I’m the best post player on this team, period. Tyson Chandler is not in that conversation.”

Maybe Bill Plaschke is right about this guy. In terms of NBA accomplishments, you really can’t argue with him. We know how he feels  about dumb questions, so it’s also possible he felt the aforementioned questions weren’t worthy of genuine responses. I don’t know about you, but I think game of two-on-two between Kobe, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Carmelo Anthony is in order.

Back
Top Bottom