2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

People always look at HP, no one ever looks at weight

This car is 1000 lbs lighter than the G37

Originally Posted by RFX45

it's missing the oh so awesome GT3 bumper led lights.
Bad pic angle with huge fender/wheel gap (smaller wheels from concept?) makes it look less sporty too.
czsMP.png

Wait do all GT3s have a rear bumper light? I always thought it was just the dual tailpipes.

Anyways, I think the car would look great if it was like the original FT86 II concept on page 1, with the rear bumper/tailpipe setup of the BRZ STI and new rims
pimp.gif

Bad pic angle with huge fender/wheel gap (smaller wheels from concept?) makes it look less sporty too.
czsMP.png

Wait do all GT3s have a rear bumper light? I always thought it was just the dual tailpipes.

Anyways, I think the car would look great if it was like the original FT86 II concept on page 1, with the rear bumper/tailpipe setup of the BRZ STI and new rims
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

The Edmund's test drive review of the car said it needed more power,  but it would have been a cost issue to do so. I completely understand a 25k car having a HP rating around 200, but I still think there is a market for a factory performance package at a higher premium. Im not advocating getting rid of the 200hp version, but rather an expansion of the line to fit a more diverse group of wants and needs (ala Charger/Challenger [entry level] V6, [moderate performance] R/T, and [serious performance] SRT8).
Quoting from the article itself:

More Power?
Of course more power would be nice. But more power means a turbo, stronger brakes and maybe even bigger wheels and tires to go with them. All that adds weight, and that's where the downward spiral starts, right?

Do you get it now? Weight > Power.

Feels Good, Too
First impressions are that it feels light and compact, not unlike a Mazda MX-5 or the last Toyota MR2. The driving position is low, straight and snug. The front seats are grippy, the rear seats tiny. Think of it as a poor man's Porsche 911 and it feels just fine.

Poor man's Porsche. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

The Edmund's test drive review of the car said it needed more power,  but it would have been a cost issue to do so. I completely understand a 25k car having a HP rating around 200, but I still think there is a market for a factory performance package at a higher premium. Im not advocating getting rid of the 200hp version, but rather an expansion of the line to fit a more diverse group of wants and needs (ala Charger/Challenger [entry level] V6, [moderate performance] R/T, and [serious performance] SRT8).
Quoting from the article itself:

More Power?
Of course more power would be nice. But more power means a turbo, stronger brakes and maybe even bigger wheels and tires to go with them. All that adds weight, and that's where the downward spiral starts, right?

Do you get it now? Weight > Power.

Feels Good, Too
First impressions are that it feels light and compact, not unlike a Mazda MX-5 or the last Toyota MR2. The driving position is low, straight and snug. The front seats are grippy, the rear seats tiny. Think of it as a poor man's Porsche 911 and it feels just fine.

Poor man's Porsche. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by quik1987

Why would you compare it to a G37? 
eyes.gif

EDIT

I'm also pretty positive they'll release or let you add on options like a Turbo etc.

Why would you compare it to a G37? 
eyes.gif

EDIT

I'm also pretty positive they'll release or let you add on options like a Turbo etc.

Cause I saw this:
Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

It's not looking good but I'll wait until I see the different trims. Otherwise, here I come g37.

Cause I saw this:
Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

It's not looking good but I'll wait until I see the different trims. Otherwise, here I come g37.

RFX45 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:
 A true enthusiast can appreciate where a car succeeds 
But less than a handful of people has driven the car and can comment on it. How do you know, along with all these "enthusiast", that it has already failed?

Kinda took what I said out of context there didn't ya?  Like literally took it out of context
laugh.gif

I never said anything about it failing. I said there is definitely "room for improvement", not a fail by any means. I think overall this car is a success; its affordable, it looks pretty good, handles well, and should have a decent amount of aftermarket parts available. But that does not mean Toyota/Subaru should stop where they are at and release this car for the next 10 years unchanged. I think it only makes sense to improve upon this platform and eventually release a more powerful, more expensive variant for those interested in keeping up with the modern pony cars and maintaining their warranty.  

I didn't take it out of context, you are assuming everything before the car even comes out. Right there, in that quote, you say they shouldn't stay unchanged. This car has been behind closed doors for close to 5 years and we are barely finding things out right now like weight and actual HP. Hell we don't even know the price yet but you are already saying they could be better and they shouldn't stay the same. How do we know there isn't a higher trim with more hp? How do we know there isn't a 300hp monster due out in the future? Based on history, Toyota rarely leaves cars unchanged for 10 years, they usually  have a restyle every 3-4 years and a new completely new gen by 5 and usually it is improved with more hp, better handling, etc... whatever the cars needs.
Again, it's not out yet. No announced priced. We have no idea what this car has in store for us until it comes out so how can we say what they will do in the future? 

RFX45 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:
 A true enthusiast can appreciate where a car succeeds 
But less than a handful of people has driven the car and can comment on it. How do you know, along with all these "enthusiast", that it has already failed?

Kinda took what I said out of context there didn't ya?  Like literally took it out of context
laugh.gif

I never said anything about it failing. I said there is definitely "room for improvement", not a fail by any means. I think overall this car is a success; its affordable, it looks pretty good, handles well, and should have a decent amount of aftermarket parts available. But that does not mean Toyota/Subaru should stop where they are at and release this car for the next 10 years unchanged. I think it only makes sense to improve upon this platform and eventually release a more powerful, more expensive variant for those interested in keeping up with the modern pony cars and maintaining their warranty.  

I didn't take it out of context, you are assuming everything before the car even comes out. Right there, in that quote, you say they shouldn't stay unchanged. This car has been behind closed doors for close to 5 years and we are barely finding things out right now like weight and actual HP. Hell we don't even know the price yet but you are already saying they could be better and they shouldn't stay the same. How do we know there isn't a higher trim with more hp? How do we know there isn't a 300hp monster due out in the future? Based on history, Toyota rarely leaves cars unchanged for 10 years, they usually  have a restyle every 3-4 years and a new completely new gen by 5 and usually it is improved with more hp, better handling, etc... whatever the cars needs.
Again, it's not out yet. No announced priced. We have no idea what this car has in store for us until it comes out so how can we say what they will do in the future? 

Originally Posted by scshift

pimp.gif

My fault, I was just posting the read view of the car since it wasn't posted. I was talking about the bumper led lights like on this Porsche and the overall bumper design on the concept just looked much better.
CIIEd.jpg

lc0gS.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

pimp.gif

My fault, I was just posting the read view of the car since it wasn't posted. I was talking about the bumper led lights like on this Porsche and the overall bumper design on the concept just looked much better.
CIIEd.jpg

lc0gS.gif

It's finally arrived: Subaru's version of the long-in-gestation Toyobaru has just said hello to the world at the Tokyo Motor Show. In case you've been in Witness Protection for the past two weeks, we'll recap the major specs: 2,689 pounds, 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet from the direct-injected 2.0-liter boxer engine, six-speed manual and automatic transmissions on offer and a lower center of gravity than a Ferrari 458 Italia.

There's still no word on pricing yet, but this is the rear-drive sports car that will be working to redefine little, fast, flickable handling. One more thing about the Subie version: it's the only one you can get in this shade of blue.

4OGio.jpg

a74G5.jpg

yO2fY.jpg

4AdJ8.jpg

u7gV8.jpg

hNe4e.jpg

qZJmF.jpg

13VWg.jpg

It's finally arrived: Subaru's version of the long-in-gestation Toyobaru has just said hello to the world at the Tokyo Motor Show. In case you've been in Witness Protection for the past two weeks, we'll recap the major specs: 2,689 pounds, 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet from the direct-injected 2.0-liter boxer engine, six-speed manual and automatic transmissions on offer and a lower center of gravity than a Ferrari 458 Italia.

There's still no word on pricing yet, but this is the rear-drive sports car that will be working to redefine little, fast, flickable handling. One more thing about the Subie version: it's the only one you can get in this shade of blue.

4OGio.jpg

a74G5.jpg

yO2fY.jpg

4AdJ8.jpg

u7gV8.jpg

hNe4e.jpg

qZJmF.jpg

13VWg.jpg

So the Toyota and Subaru are practically identical, only slight change in the lights and a different front end and one has a spoiler. Take off the badge and people will not be able to tell the difference. I sure hope Scion FR-S has more distinguishing look.

So the Toyota and Subaru are practically identical, only slight change in the lights and a different front end and one has a spoiler. Take off the badge and people will not be able to tell the difference. I sure hope Scion FR-S has more distinguishing look.

Cause I saw this:
The Natural Mystic said:

I wasn't comparing the two cars. I was gonna hold out on the G37 for this car because it's cheaper and probably a lot less to maintain.

It's crazy because one day I'm in love with this car and other days I'm like ehhh. I think I just need to drive it.

Back
Top Bottom