2013 Academy Awards -- Picture: ARGO, Director: ANG LEE, Actress: JENNIFER LAWRENCE, Actor: Who else

What's gonna win Best Picture?

• Amour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argo

• Beasts of the Southern Wild

• Django Unchained

• Les Misérables

• Life of Pi

• Lincoln

• Silver Linings Playbook

• Zero Dark Thirty

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When it comes to snubs I try to say who they should have replaced. Because they probably were worthy, but saying over who is the harder part.

I'd put in Hawkes over DeNiro in a heartbeat.

Nothing against the GOAT, but Hawkes was amazing as Mark O'Brien.

Last edited:
I'm an idiot. You're right.

With that said, I'd take out Cooper.. even he was great as well, best he's ever been but not as good as Hawkes. Might seem like I'm hating on SLP, but I loved everything about it.. but John Hawkes was better than either Cooper or Hugh Jackman were.

I haven't seen The Sessions yet, but I know how great Hawkes can be so I don't doubt it.

Cooper was the best he's ever been, but I wouldn't be outraged if he didn't get nominated. 

I'm an idiot. You're right.

With that said, I'd take out Cooper.. even he was great as well, best he's ever been but not as good as Hawkes. Might seem like I'm hating on SLP, but I loved everything about it.. but John Hawkes was better than either Cooper or Hugh Jackman were.

No chance. Cooper delivered the greatest performance of his career. I agree that Hawkes should probably been nominated although I didn't love his performance as much as others, but you cant take Cooper out.

Frankly I think sticking to 5 nominees is bogus. Why does Best Picture have a non set amount of nominees but everything else (for the most part) have to be 5??

To each their own, I just think Hawkes performance had much more depth and was a harder role to pull off.. I think Hawkes could of played the role Cooper did just as well as he did, but could Cooper of played the man with the Iron Lung?

To each their own, I just think Hawkes performance had much more depth and was a harder role to pull off.. I think Hawkes could of played the role Cooper did just as well as he did, but could Cooper of played the man with the Iron Lung?

But you can't look at it that way.

Asking could Cooper pull of Hawkes' role which was based on a real person and a true story that he was literally hand picked for is unfair to Cooper. Plus the roles are in two different spectrums of the acting world.

Was it a different role that Hawkes played YES. It was brilliant in showcasing how one acts without the ability to move anything but their face, and this is impressive as hell.

It's also impressive to see an actor reach new heights in his career and hold his own, if not outshine actors and actresses with the talent and pedigree's of Jacki Weaver, Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro.

Yeah, I know they're individual roles.. and you can't really compare them.. but I feel Hawkes never really gets his due and he's been on his game for years, to not get recognized for the Sessions is a robbery in my eyes. I think Cooper was a delight and a surprise, no one expected that from him.. but Hawkes man.. he should of been in there over him. I don't think Cooper deserves it over him and that's just my opinion.

Bringing up things that don't matter again... but if Gosling didn't get one for Blue Valentine a few year ago- what did Cooper do better than him that warrants a nom? These are all subjective and don't really matter at all, but I'm just saying... his performance wasn't anything THAT spectacular.. he was a great in it, and I'm happy he got one I just feel John was more deserving and I'm really surprised because the Sessions itself had Oscar bait written all over it.

Sidenote: I'm excited for the Globes tonight, I personally enjoy the show more than I do the Oscars.

Bringing up things that don't matter again... but if Gosling didn't get one for Blue Valentine a few year ago- what did Cooper do better than him that warrants a nom? These are all subjective and don't really matter at all, but I'm just saying... his performance wasn't anything THAT spectacular.. he was a great in it, and I'm happy he got one I just feel John was more deserving and I'm really surprised because the Sessions itself had Oscar bait written all over it.

Sidenote: I'm excited for the Globes tonight, I personally enjoy the show more than I do the Oscars.

I will never forgive the Academy for not giving Gosling a nomination for Blue Valentine. They did it again last year with snubbing him for Drive. Never ever ever forgive them.

I'm excited for the Globes as well. Should be fun. Poehler and Fey together should be greaaatt

well I can say I voted for Argo in this poll and was shocked at NT's response for Lincoln way ahead. DDL should win actor but I'm still gonna stick to Argo for motion picture. only if they had gambling for these shows
laugh.gif
. Globes usually give us what to expect as winners for Oscars.

Not always. Argo would be the first movie since 89 to win without having a director nominated.

Highlight from the 70th Golden Globes - videos including Poehler and Fey's open, Ferrell and Wiig knowing all the nominees, Lawrence's Speech and of course Jodie Foster's coming out party - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2yf

-leo should have been nominated
-you guys are sleeping HARD on les miserable, story in general is something that everyone could learn from. Jackman and Hatheway will win for sure
- disappointed moonrise kingdom got no recognition or javier bardem's character skyfall

Les Miserables got nominated for Costume, Makeup, Music, Production, and Sound, and they're all worthy nominations.

Jackman for actor was a good pick, and Hatheway is a near lock, but Jackman shouldn't beat Daniel Day Lewis.

Best Picture worthy? Nah. 

FInally got around to seeing Zero Dark Thirty today.

I'll probably be down to a coin flip for Chastain vs. Lawrence for Best Actress. I almost want to classify Lawrence as Supporting just so they both can win. But Chastain carries the entire movie. She's the focus and how we see the entire hunt, so she's given far more responsibility as an actress and character. So she has the entire weight and pressure of the entire movie on her shoulders, and that results in a great performance. Meanwhile, Lawrence is more of a force of nature. She comes in, obliterates anything in her path, and dominates the screen. They both played their role to perfection, but Lawrence was better to me. 

Chastain will win and she's certainly deserving, but I'd go with Lawrence.

Back
Top Bottom