2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

I don't see DAT lasting in the NFL, but that's just me. Obviously I hope he does but he's a little guy...can't fight the truth there.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brandon+Banks+Washington+********+v+Philadelphia+459wsAPj9IRl.jpg

DeSean-Jackson.jpg

8634_5_4_2012_1_05_11_PM.jpg

I think that may have more to do w/ where Mariota is @ this point & the fact that they need that 2 headed attack @ RB

But maybe I am wrong. Like, if DT was back I think that Mamba would be more involved than he is now.
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore did not practice Wednesday because of a bruised hip and coach Steve Spurrier said his junior star might not start Saturday against No. 3 Florida.

Spurrier had said Lattimore was running well earlier in the week, but the injury kept him out of Wednesday's workout. Lattimore arrived at practice and watched from the sidelines.

If Lattimore can't go, Spurrier said backup Kenny Miles and freshman Mike Davis would handle the load at tailback when the ninth-ranked Gamecocks (6-1, 4-1 Southeastern Conference) go against the Gators (6-0, 5-0).

"We're sort of banged up all of a sudden," Spurrier said.

Spurrier said an injury such as Lattimore's generally takes a week or two to heal. Lattimore had a touchdown, but gained just 35 yards on 13 carries in ninth-ranked South Carolina's 23-21 loss to the Tigers.

Spurrier has gone back-and-forth on Lattimore's condition since Sunday. At first, he expected Lattimore to miss a couple of workouts, but said Tuesday that Lattimore had looked OK during Monday's session and expected him to play at The Swamp on Saturday.

Then came Wednesday's twist.

Lattimore is sixth among SEC rushers with 584 yards. He's tied with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel for the SEC lead with 10 rushing TDs.

"It's not surgery-type things," Spurrier said of Lattimore's condition. "It appears it's something that'll be fine in a week or so."

Lattimore tore ligaments in his left knee while blocking against Mississippi State last year, an injury that cost him South Carolina's final six games in 2011. He had offseason surgery and has looked strong this fall.

Spurrier detailed several other key players dealing with injuries and illnesses.

He said sophomore defensive end standout Jadeveon Clowney had a foot problem that has limited what he can do at practice. Defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles had his arm in a sling because of a shoulder injury and is doubtful to play against the Gators. Defensive linemen Byron Jerideau and J.T. Surratt are also hampered by injuries, although both are expected to play.

And then there's the flu bug, which Spurrier said has kept some Gamecocks from working out this week. Punt returner and starting receiver Ace Sanders missed practice Tuesday while receiver Bruce Ellington was out on Wednesday.

Spurrier was hopeful all players hit by the flu could play on Saturday.

Last edited:
Still think Tyner ends up in Eugene, unless they get sanctioned, that's the only way I see him going elsewhere.
He is bigger though, so maybe he doesn't see Oregon as the route to the NFL, maybe he wants to play in a pro-offense. DAT is tearing it up in Eugene, but that's the end of the line unless he switches to the other side of the ball. It's what caused him to go to Oregon, SC kept telling him that the best chance for an NFL gig was playing opposite Nickell Robey. Who knows, maybe he can carve out a Darren Sproles like career.
does size really matter in the NFL now if you can play? i dont agree at all its the end of the line for him. he catchs the ball to well and has elite speed
Blount and Stewart were big backs though and they're doing fine in the league. Stew was a 1st round pick and Blount probably could have been lower first-round but we all know what happened there.
blount was never going in the 1st round.. and first aid played one year under chip and he wasnt running the offense the same way he does now. i think its clear chip loves fast and small RB in that offense

Tyner re-committed this morning.

I agree that I think Chip prefers smaller, faster guys. But I still think he wants a bigger back on the roster. He's been using Lyerla as a setback with some success #BaneMode

And like I said, I'm happy to be wrong about DAT tho. I know Dante Hall and DeSean were/are playmakers. Only way DAT makes a difference in league is at WR and like Gunna said, DAT hasn't been used as much, or at least gotten touches, at WR so far this season. If he becomes a more committed WR then I think he's got a better chance to be an NFL playmaker. I guess I should have clarified that I don't think he'd be an NFL RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Stewart is as fast as every small RB chip has ever had.

My major concern with Deanthony is hhe doesnt have any shake
He is stupid fast and always out in space vs air in Oregons offense but I never see him put defenders in the blender.

Dexter mccluster isnt anywhere as fast as Mamba but he will chop a ninja up on a dime. being able to make defenders miss in tight quarters will keep McCluster in the league along time. willl be interesting to see Mamba having to play vs comparable athletes who are on his hip

btw, Lattimore will play, as will all of our guys out with flu-like symptoms this week (including Ace Sanders).

Not looking good though. Our season hinges on the outcome of Saturday's game.

Stewart is a big boy, got trunks for legs, I think he was gone by the time Chip arrived. He was under Bellotti, ran a different offense. Blount was Bellotti's kid as well, Chip was working with what he had at that point.

Mike- Size matters, especially RB's. Backs like MJD aren't tall by any means but they are big, human ******g wrecking balls. DAT is very very slim and short.

Source: Vanderbilt backs out of NU football series

Email
print

NU-Vandy

Venric Mark carries for Northwestern during its victory over Vanderbilt in September. (Getty Photo / October 18, 2012)
By Teddy Greenstein, Tribune reporter

12:45 p.m. CDT, October 18, 2012

Vanderbilt has sent a letter to Northwestern canceling its 2013 and 2014 football games, a Big Ten source told the Tribune on Thursday.

Vanderbilt officials made the decision without so much as a phone call to NU officials, according to the source. The timing of the move is apparently related to the Thursday afternoon release of the 2013 SEC schedule, which will feature changes to cross-division rivalries.

But with the SEC set to keep an eight-game conference slate, Vanderbilt officials will have some explaining to do regarding their decision to cancel the NU series. The buyout was “not prohibitive,” according to the source.

The Wildcats beat the Commodores last season and in September, and NU’s best talent is in its freshmen and sophomore classes.

The 2013 game was scheduled for Sept. 14 in Nashville. The 2014 game would have been in Evanston on Sept. 13. Northwestern now has to scramble to find new opponents.

The news will be received well by those who felt NU’s 2013 non-conference schedule (at Cal, Syracuse, at Vanderbilt, Maine) and 2014 slate (Cal, Vanderbilt, Western Illinois, at Notre Dame) were too rigorous.

But Northwestern valued its series with Vanderbilt because the two are like-minded schools. And Big Ten officials like it because it gave the conference a regular-season victory over an SEC foe for two straight season.

[email protected]

Kenjon ******g Barner :pimp: Hope that quick ASU score woke up the Ducks, cant be caught slipping tonight.

By some miracle I managed to pick up an unclaimed student ticket earlier today. TOOO hyped for this game. Atmosphere should be even better than LSU. Gonna be out there bright and early for Gameday. Let's beat those Cocks!!

:tongue:

FSU, Miami are victims of ACC football malaise
Mike Bianchi, SPORTS COMMENTARY
7:07 p.m. EST, October 18, 2012

Comments
New

As Florida State and Miami get ready to renew the annual rivalry that has lost its revelry on Saturday, I have formulated a theory that contradicts the accepted belief concerning the two programs and the league in which they play.

Most everyone will tell you that the reason the Atlantic Coast Conference is a laughingstock among the college football's big-boy BCS leagues is because FSU and Miami have disappointed the league over the last decade. After all, the Seminoles and the Hurricanes were supposed to be the two teams that carried the torch, blazed the trail and led the ACC to football dominance.

I used to espouse this hypothesis myself, but now I have a new one that I think makes much more sense. You see, what was supposed to happen didn't happen at all. In fact, the complete opposite has happened. FSU and Miami were supposed to elevate ACC football, but instead ACC football has dragged down the 'Noles and 'Canes to its mundane, mediocre level.

I'll tell FSU and Miami the same thing I always tell my two teenage daughters: "You are who you hang out with."

If you hang out with a bunch of turkeys, you're going to get cooked. If you hang out with a bunch of eagles, you're going to soar.

And, so, that gobbling sound you hear is the ACC getting ready for another week of nationally meaningless games. Seriously, who would have ever thought that FSU-Miami would be overshadowed in its own state by Florida playing … South Carolina! FSU-Miami used to be the most dynamic, dynastic rivalry in all of college football, but now it's not even the best game in its own state or even its own time slot.

"I was in the ACC for 10 years and you hate to say it, but it doesn't stack up," former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden told me the other day. "All you can go by are statistics, and those are black and white. There's been a pattern of consistency. … In games of relevance and significance, the ACC has fallen short. … It's happened so many times that [the ACC] has lost its legitimacy."

Everything Bowden says is absolutely true. Over the past 14 years, the ACC's record in BCS bowl games is 2-13. So far this season, the ACC has fewer teams ranked in the top 25 than any of the other BCS leagues, including the much-maligned Big East.

Tommy, whose father Bobby Bowden's FSU team dominated the ACC during its first several years in the league, agrees with my theory. He believes the ACC's overall gridiron malaise and apathy has had a negative impact on serious football-playing schools in the league.

Let's face it: FSU, Miami and Clemson are football schools playing in a league where basketball is king. Why does FSU seem to always lose a game against an inferior ACC opponent every season, just as it did a couple of weeks ago against NC State? Because, as much as the coaching staff might try, it's extremely difficult to get your team pumped up week-in, week-out for a string of lackluster opponents.

Quite frankly, games against most ACC opponents don't inspire FSU's fan base. And if the fan base isn't fired up, it's hard to get the players fired up. It's different in the SEC where every school — with the exception of Kentucky — is a football school first and foremost. Of the top 15 largest college stadiums in the country, nearly half (seven) are in the SEC. None are in the ACC.

"Sounds like you were in the [Clemson] locker room during some of my pre-game talks," Tommy Bowden said when I ran my theory of ACC malaise by him. "These [ACC] players — if you're playing in a night game – they watch the afternoon games and see those crowds in the SEC and the Big Ten. … Then you're playing at Duke and give your team that [pre-game] talk in the locker room and you go out and there might be 18,000 in the stands. It's a similar environment at Wake Forest. … I think that is a factor.

"I've sat in that locker room and looked in their eyes. I've seen the pre-game warm-ups with the dropped balls and guys jumping offside and I've said to myself, 'Oh, geez, they're playing down to the environment.' It is a problem."

Welcome to Florida State-Miami week in the ACC.

It is a game that used to soar with the eagles, but now gobbles with the turkeys.

[email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @BianchiWrites. Listen to his radio show every weekday from 6 to 9 a.m. on 740 AM.

Poliquin: Paul Pasqualoni, the ol' Syracuse football coach, is returning to the Carrier Dome on Friday
Bud Poliquin, Post-Standard columnist By Bud Poliquin, Post-Standard columnist
on October 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM, updated October 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Email | Print

Syracuse, N.Y. -- On that December day in 2004 when Daryl Gross, freshly arrived in our town from southern California, placed Paul Pasqualoni out on the curb, wiped his hands and declared that it was “just a logical time for us to go in a different direction,” the clock began to tick on re-boot of the Syracuse University football program.

“There’s some restlessness in the community,” Daryl told us back then. “You want to have some hope. . . . My belief is that we can win the national championship here one day. We have to build it and we have to have a vision with it. And we’re starting now.”

That was 90 games ago. That was 61 losses ago. That was more than a half-million empty Carrier Dome seats ago.

And, funny thing, the restlessness remains.

It will be mixed on Friday night, however, with more than a little intrigue because Pasqualoni, perceived by Gross -- and a whole lot of other folks back in ’04 -- to be more problem than solution, will return to the Dome for the first time in nearly eight years.

Now the head coach of the wobbling Connecticut Huskies, who could beat neither Western Michigan nor Temple in these past few weeks, Pasqualoni must be privately delighting in this thought: Should his unremarkable UConn bunch upset the Orange in the Dome, SU’s record would drop to 2-5 and its season would likely be tossed into Onondaga Lake.

No wonder, then, that Doug Marrone -- never mind his boss, Gross -- has been left to shake his head.

“We don’t have time,” he said after his outfit dropped that 23-15 gift basket into Rutgers’ lap last weekend, “to feel sorry for ourselves.”

Nobody, of course, was supposed to ever see this day.

Dismissed by Gross, Pasqualoni, then 55 and now 63, was simply going to fade away, serving out his time as another graying assistant somewhere. Meanwhile, Greg Robinson, with a Super Bowl ring on his finger and a copy of “The Little Engine That Could” in his cubby, was going to lead Syracuse back to greatness. And when that idea was exposed as folly, Marrone, the proud alum, was imported from the NFL’s New Orleans Saints to do what GRob could not.

And, well, all of that shifting from A to B to C has amounted to little more than the re-arranging of deck chairs.

Pasqualoni was dumped because the Orange had slipped into mediocrity on his stubborn, predictable watch . . . and as SU went 34-32 in his last 66 games, that was true. But Robinson, the poor man, came in from Texas and proceeded in his tizzy to inter the Syracuse program in a kind of football burial ground.

And now, Marrone, whose program has lost nine of 11 contests from one October to the next -- and all, with that stunning 49-23 victory over No. 11 West Virginia as a launching pad . . . a certifiable oddity, that -- has some serious work ahead of him just to get to that point which got Pasqualoni fired.

Why, if Doug’s club ran the table beginning on Friday and continuing right through the bowl affair it would play, he’d sit at 26-24 (.520) across his first four seasons. Pasqualoni’s last four (of 14) campaigns among us? He went 26-23 (.531). Robinson? Though he had a whole lot of “want-to,” Greg was 10-37 (.213) during his four-year stumble to Orange notoriety.

On balance, then, the scoreboard would suggest that we’ve been slogging in place, more or less, since that December day in 2004 when Daryl Gross cleared his throat. And this presupposes that Marrone guys will knock off Connecticut, South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Missouri, Temple and their postseason foe all in a row.

Those who believe that will happen? They could probably ride down Salina Street on the same unicycle.

“The expectations at Syracuse are very high,” Gross said back on the occasion of Pasqualoni’s removal from the Syracuse football throne. “It’s a very, very proud place. A very prestigious place. A very sophisticated place. Obviously, there’s been some success here. As of late, it’s hasn’t been on a consistent basis. In looking back on the past few seasons, there are some inconsistencies in there. We hope to do great things with the new head coach.”

Nearly eight years later, the old head coach is coming back to town . . . and he won’t need to ask how things have gone since he left. Who'd blame him, though, if he did?

(Bud Poliquin’s columns, "To The Point" observations and "Morning Orange" reports appear virtually every day on syracuse.com. His work can also be regularly found on the pages of The Post-Standard newspaper. Additionally, Poliquin can be heard weekday mornings between 10 a.m.-12 noon on the sports-talk radio show, "Bud & The Manchild," on The Score 1260-AM. Poliquin can be reached at [email protected])

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom