2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

St Eds out of Lakewood has Shaun Crawford a DB going to Michigan and the Dowell twins that are both BCS kids... Thats a powerhouse out of Ohio

Also can someone explain to me why a MD area school is playing the majority of it schedule against out of state comp?

BitrJTKCAAAlIZl.jpg

David Sills tweeted that out with the caption "the hardest schedule in high school history."

Why are they playing three TX schools in a row? And how tought is that schedule?  The only schools I recognize are Trinity, DeSoto, DeMatha and Paramus.
Besides the desire to play a tough national schedule, I think they have a hard time scheduling local schools because of the reputation the "school" has.  ECA is really a Football Club whose players take online classes. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...school-football-virtual-powerhouse/index.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-...igan-state-football-commitment-185410462.html

You may recall the drama surrounding Southfield (Mich.) High five-star defensive end Malik McDowell's National Signing Day saga last month. Well, seven weeks later -- and only a few days before the deadline to submit National Letters of Intent -- his commitment to Michigan State remains unresolved.

According to multiple reports, McDowell signed a letter on Feb. 5 stating his intention to play for the Spartans under scholarship. His father Greg also appeared to sign the document, but the letter was never sent to East Lansing, because it requires a signature from the custodial parent -- his mother Joya Crowe.

However, Crowe never signed the letter because she did not approve of her 6-foot-6, 292-pound son's decision. "We don't want him at MSU," she told the Detroit Free Press 48 hours before signing day. "Something happened, I don't want to put it out there what it was, but I had a bad experience at MSU."

While not specifically addressing that issue, Crowe has since partially explained her reasoning to multiple media outlets, including Detroit's 105.1 FM. She reportedly cited education and her son's aspiration to be a first-round pick in addition to criticizing Michigan State defensive line coach Ron Burton.

"Everybody wants Malik to make this decision on his own, but Malik probably can't tell you nothing about their academics," Crowe told the radio station. "People don't understand that Malik is not mature enough to make this decision. If I felt he was mature enough, and he came to me and said, 'This is what Michigan State has to offer, education, football, the D-Line coach has this background … this, this and this, lay it out.

"But if y'all call and ask Malik, he's just gonna say comfort, I'm comfortable."

While McDowell hoped to sway his mother toward Michigan State before Monday's deadline to submit National Letters of Intent, that doesn't appear to be the case, according to the Detroit News.

Because McDowell is the nation's No. 2 ranked defensive end recruit, according to Rivals.com, the Spartans will hold a scholarship open for him beyond Monday's deadline, Southfield coach Tim Conley told the Detroit News. Likewise, his mother's top choices -- Michigan, Florida State and Ohio State -- will do the same, hoping he will ultimately sign a tender contract for them before players start reporting in June.

For the record, Michigan is ranked highest academically by U.S. News & World Report at No. 28, followed by Ohio State (52nd), Michigan State (73rd) and Florida State (91st). The Spartans, of course, won the Big Ten title this past fall, placing a defensive lineman, linebacker and cornerback on All-American rosters.

Might be the first time the parent sounds like they're making a rational decision, if true.

Last edited:
Or at least the first time a football parent's involvement hasn't been painted by media/coaches as manipulating the kid for their own personal gain.

Also can someone explain to me why a MD area school is playing the majority of it schedule against out of state comp?

BitrJTKCAAAlIZl.jpg

David Sills tweeted that out with the caption "the hardest schedule in high school history."

Why are they playing three TX schools in a row? And how tought is that schedule?  The only schools I recognize are Trinity, DeSoto, DeMatha and Paramus.
Besides the desire to play a tough national schedule, I think they have a hard time scheduling local schools because of the reputation the "school" has.  ECA is really a Football Club whose players take online classes. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...school-football-virtual-powerhouse/index.html
I didn't really know that about Eastern Christian.  Thanks for that article.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 5m
Impressive job by #UCLA: In past 6 months, Bruins have set games w Texas A&M (2016/2017), OU (2018/2019), MICH (2022/2023) & LSU (2021/2024)

:smokin

8 losses.

2014 Oregon Ducks Football Schedule
Date Opponent Time/TV Tickets
Saturday
May 3 Ducks Spring Football Game
Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR 11:00 a.m. PT
Pac-12 Network ---
Saturday
Aug. 30 Coyotes South Dakota Coyotes
Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 6 Spartans Michigan State Spartans
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 13 Cowboys Wyoming Cowboys
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 20 Cougars at Washington State Cougars
Martin Stadium, Pullman, WA
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 27
Thursday
Oct. 2 Wildcats Arizona Wildcats
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 11 Bruins at UCLA Bruins
Rose Bowl, Los Angeles, CA
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 18 Huskies Washington Huskies (HC)
Tickets
Friday
Oct. 24 Golden Bears at California Golden Bears
Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 1 Cardinal Stanford Cardinal
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 8 Utes at Utah Utes
Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, UT
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 15
Saturday
Nov. 22 Buffaloes Colorado Buffaloes
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 29 Beavers at Oregon State Beavers
Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR

Student athletes catch a ton of flak for being handed grades and getting away with barely showing up to classes, presumably because they’re too busy working out, banging 10s, and abusing enough substances to make a Colombian drug lord blush. The University of North Carolina, not wanting to upset tradition, seems to have held onto at least part of that stereotype, if one student athlete’s paper on Rosa Parks is indicative of how seriously the school’s programs take the “student” part of student athlete.

Here’s the full paper:

On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. “Let me have those front seats” said the driver. She didn’t get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. “I’m going to have you arrested,” said the driver. “You may do that,” Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them “why do you all push us around?” The police officer replied and said “I don’t know, but the law is the law and you’re under arrest.

North Carolina student got an A on this paper.

Last edited:
David Hale ‏@DavidHaleESPN 39s
Clemson allowed QBs to get hit in today's scrimmage, even w/2 OLs out. Result: no sacks, no turnovers. Wake-up call for D line, Dabo says.

Excited for the UCLA and Oregon head-to-heads. I would have rather solidified the USC series, but UCLA is a great replacement.

AK, Coppell HS is the school that produced Soloman Thomas last year. Not sure what all they have next year, but they're usually a very solid program. Still extremely weird for an OOS team to play three DFW teams in DFW in three weeks (are they all road games? All three of the TX teams have the money to travel for a game). Are they gonna be staying that entire time? Guess you can do that if your kids are working through online classes...

Last edited:
Jimbo confirmed that Ryan Green is out for the spring after minor shoulder surgery. FSU's down to two RB's for spring and Jimbo may make them both non-contact

Back
Top Bottom