2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

LOL @ "New York City influenced".

Syracuse football doesn't have any NYC influences given or taken and interest in its basketball team is waning at best at this point.

The school's desperate to lock down that city base, modeling in mid town.  90% of NYCers can't point Syracuse out on a map.

/rant

The jerseys are pretty though. I expected with Illinois having identical colors, they'd basically get the same rebrand.

Interest in the basketball team waning? What?

The city influence comes from them being the only New York college playing high major D1 football.

Last edited:
^ uh no. You dont know what your talking about. Cuse Football is still pretty strong in NYC considering they aren't very good and SU basketball is waning? Lmao wut
Rook I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm gonna assume it's a reading comprehension issue.

NYC really doesn't care about Syracuse football.  Basketball?  Yeah, way more.

I get why they're trying to do it but they'd have to start winning games in order to impact their fanbase in football especially in NYC.

Last edited:
Really what's the point of Nike putting dark visors on there helmets like this. False advertising knowing damn well the kids can't wear them game time

Was Joeckel ever in contention for the job? He had to been no better than 3rd on the depth chart.
He was definitely 3rd on the chart. Sounds like the job is Kyle Allen's to lose after Spring camp. And Joeckel has already graduated, so he might as well try to go somewhere else for that last year of eligibility.

Yea, I've been in NY for 6 years. No one gives a **** about Syracuse football. Basketball is a whole different game. No way in hell is interest waning either. Alumni base too deep and program too successful.

Syracuse basketball today isn't as popular as it was 10 years ago is what I mean by waning. You can argue that but the number of Syracuse bars that have closed and sheer popularity of the team isn't what it was before and after Carmelo.

Syracuse isn't even the most popular team in NYC right now. UConn is.  During the last couple of tournaments there were as many people walking around in UNC and Zona gear than Cuse.

So the idea of Syracuse's football jersey having a deep Manhattan influence is laughable. No one but the school's alums (if that) gives a **** about Syracuse football in New York City.

Last edited:
The biggest loser out of this whole Winston scandal, besides the victim of course is Jameis. If he was indeed innocent the authorities did a huge disservice by sweeping it under the rug. He will now have this dark cloud over his head for the rest of his life

Is that the reason you don't support the NY schools?
I get that you're trolling but I'll answer this.

I don't root for the NY schools because in football there aren't any near me (besides Hofstra which I lightweight rooted for as a little kid because the stadium was right there) and for the most part my college sports allegiances were formed before I even really got into college athletic myself.

I had family at USC and Duke and Georgetown, so growing up I "rooted" for USC football (never got to see them play much until high school) Duke and Georgetown. I also cheered for the 90s-2000s Hurricanes because they were the team always on tv besides VT and FSU.

Last edited:
The biggest loser out of this whole Winston scandal, besides the victim of course is Jameis. If he was indeed innocent the authorities did a huge disservice by sweeping it under the rug. He will now have this dark cloud over his head for the rest of his life

:lol: Big Ben is doing just fine and we KNOW he raped a girl.

I hate to stay off topic, but I do find it weird that Big Ben gets a pass but people are still vilifying Vick for what he did

I hate to stay off topic, but I do find it weird that Big Ben gets a pass but people are still vilifying Vick for what he did

I've never once seen anybody give big Ben a pass. Every person I know hates him for that specific reason

I've never once seen anybody give big Ben a pass. Every person I know hates him for that specific reason

Media does not go at Ben anymore....media stay throwing a jab at Vick here and there

But we know why...

But why does it bother you? They market themselves as New York's College Team. Easy to see why they borrow cues from NYC when they represent the state as the only major D1 program.

And what does a bar closing have to do with a school's popularity? In hospitality, restaurants, bars and lounges close all the time. I'm younger than you and your age is showing. Syracuse basketball has been popping in New York City for 30+ years. Them yuppie bars that you may frequent will tell a different story that you're taking at face value.

Oregon had a billboard in Times Square for years and they have no NYC footprint. VCU, GW and UVA all marketed themselves in NYC just as recently as last month.

Last edited:
@Rell826  I'm not that old... Melo was playing at Cuse when I was in HS.  And it doesn't bother me at all. I understand why they're marketing to NYC/NY greater area.  I just find Nike's marketing amusing.  The whole taking gothic influences from lower Manhattan?  Lulz.

We know why that is the case.
A big part of it though, besides Ben being White and blue collar is that people argue it away that they "don't know for sure what Ben did" (though we do know for sure. ESPN just didn't burn him at the stake like they did Mike.) But they saw the bodies of the buried dogs and the faces of the one's rescued.  That was damning stuff. With Ben all we heard was reports.  We didn't see the tapes of him walking around with his junk out, sexually assaulting the girl in the bathroom, or pulling a girl out the back exit with his bodyguard pass blocking. We only heard about it and then saw him get off.  So people reason it away as "it must not have been that bad" (even though it absolutely was.)

But also, almost everyone has a pet or a friend with a pet. It's hard for some people to really relate to sexual assault especially when it's at odds with something they love so passionately like their sports team.  But everyone has or knows someone with a pet.  They can empathize easily with the idea of their family dog being strangled and electrocuted but can't imagine what it's like to be raped, and a lot of people don't even consider date rape real rape.  Look at all the people arguing that Jameis's accuser, or any number of other sexual assault victims, deserved it or put themselves in that position by drinking too much or dressing a certain way.  They can place blame on the victim but cant with puppies being drowned.

I think that's a big part of why Mike is still getting what he gets.  The country in general has a culture of being rape apologists, but riding hard against animal abuse.

Plus he's Black...

I think that's a big part of why Mike is still getting what he gets. The country in general has a culture of being rape apologists, but riding hard against animal abuse.

Crazy

Last edited:
Charlie messin around and getting himself locked outta powerhouse Texas HS programs.

Back
Top Bottom