2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

It will be interesting to see what teams come up with to try to stop that rushing attack, I see Auburn winning the west again

Coates is nice

Louis has been kind of a bust

Last edited:
Forgot about Louis....he was always more ath than WR to me...never had the greatest hands coming out of H.S. and probably should have RS to learn the position better...Main question I see for Auburn lies in their Defense

For the Miami folks: Derrick Griffin is giving up football and heading to Europe to play basketball.

Seems like a good guy I hope it works out for him, should of stuck to football imo great size and athleticism to play in the nfl

UCLA's secret weapon
Keeping top recruiter Adrian Klemm was a key victory for UCLA over USC

Updated: April 21, 2014, 5:38 PM ET
By Jeremy Crabtree | ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- One of the Pac-12's most intense recruiting battles actually didn't take place in a high school.

After UCLA offensive line coach Adrian Klemm returned from a recruiting trip in December, he received a call from new USC coach Steve Sarkisian with an offer that all but included the opportunity to use the Trojans' famed white horse, Traveler, any time he wanted to avoid traffic on the 405. But UCLA coach Jim Mora wasn't about to lose one of his top assistants to the school across town, so he did what any good coach would do. He made an in-home visit and left with a commitment.

"I was out of town recruiting, and I landed and drove right to his house at about 10 at night," Mora said. "I think I stayed until or 1 or 2, until I was sure USC wasn't going to come by. ... Until he signed that contract, I wasn't leaving. I wasn't going to lose him."

UCLA's Jim Mora beat USC on the field last season, then won again by keeping assistant Adrian Klemm.
Klemm was ground zero of a recruiting battle between heated rivals USC and UCLA that is usually reserved only for the top high school football players in the country.

"I was being recruited," Klemm said. "The shoe was definitely on the other foot."

After winning three Super Bowl rings as an offensive lineman with the New England Patriots and Green Bay Packers, Klemm has quickly risen through the coaching ranks and has built a reputation as one of the best recruiters in the game.

His former coach at Hawaii, June Jones, gave him his start, offering him a job as a volunteer assistant at SMU in 2008. Klemm quickly earned a full-time position and established himself as one of the top recruiters in the country, especially among those in non-BCS programs. He left for UCLA in December 2011 and within weeks reeled in nine players in the 2012 class, including Simon Goines, a freshman All-American this past season. He also signed nine players in the 2013 class. Four of the Bruins' five starting offensive linemen in 2013 were recruited by Klemm, and he's been wildly successful in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and other national hotbeds.

That put him in the crosshairs of Sarkisian, who is tasked with turning around the USC program and helping the Trojans regain their recruiting mojo.

"It was a difficult decision," said Klemm, who is now also UCLA's associate head coach and earned a raise to $650,000 annually. "I'm not going to lie. It wasn't that I wanted to leave here or anything like that, but they made an offer that was very generous in a lot of ways, whether it was titles or a monetary offer. When it came down to it, I just didn't feel like it was the right time.

"I already think a lot about some of the pressures some of these kids face, but going through what I went through made me appreciate even more everything they have to endure. These guys aren't enjoying their proms. You see some of these guys, and they sign with a school on signing day, and it looks like they're going to cry. Or you see the parent's reaction to the kid, and you wonder what their relationship is going to be like once they get home. I can empathize because I lived through a recruiting process, too."

It's that type of emotional attachment to people that wins people over.

UCLA-bound Alize Jones, the nation's top tight end, credits Adrian Klemm as a large reason for his pledge. "Coach Klemm was one of the biggest reasons why I committed early," said Alize Jones, the No. 1-ranked tight end in the 2015 class. "I love Coach Klemm. He's always looking out for what's best for me. Every time I visit with him, I feel like he's personally invested in me. I didn't get that feeling, that connection, with any of the other coaches I talked with."

Those qualities led to an unexpected career in coaching. When Klemm retired from the NFL, he almost took a job in business but wanted more of a challenge. So he decided to finish up his degree at Hawaii, where he reached out to Jones about helping out the program. That led to Jones' offer, which forever changed Klemm's life.

"Coaching didn't click right away for me," Klemm said. "I was intrigued by it. I got some of the similar rushes that I did when I was playing. It was fun seeing guys getting a little bit better. As the season progressed, it wasn't easy, but in terms of understanding how to approach kids, how to do certain things and how to teach, all became easier. I started figuring it out, and I was like 'Man, I really want to do this.'"

He read Bruce Feldman's recruiting book "Meat Market" from cover to cover and marveled at the way then-USC assistant Ed Orgeron hustled harder than everybody else on the recruiting trail. He used what he learned from his former line coaches, Dante Scarnecchia with the New England Patriots and Mike Cavanaugh at Hawaii. Klemm combined Scarnecchia's approach of "brutal honesty" and respect when dealing with his players with Cavanaugh's ability to develop relationships.

The end result is a coach who is not only one of the best recruiters in the country, but also what another Pac-12 assistant called "one of the best coaches in the country, period."

"I would like be recognized, not so much with awards or different things, but I would like people to recognize that I take just as much, if not more, pride in my ability to coach," Klemm said. "This is something I do battle with, because I do want to be a head coach sometime in the near future."

Mora believes Klemm will get that opportunity sooner rather than later.

"Adrian has a reputation of being a great recruiter, and I think that overshadows what a great coach he is," Mora said. "He's going to make an outstanding head coach. I don't think Adrian is going to have to go be a coordinator to be a head coach, because I think his background as a player in the NFL and the people he's been able to be around, the Belichicks and the people like that, makes him extremely inviting for people. The guy's something.

"I'm just glad I convinced him to stick around here that night at his house."

Last edited:
Seems like a good guy I hope it works out for him, should of stuck to football imo great size and athleticism to play in the nfl
Supposedly it wouldn't have mattered if he stuck with football. Some people don't think he would have made it past one semester at Blinn before failing out.

I thought Griffin ended up at some tiny school in Texas for basketball? He ended up at Blinn?

Signed with Blinn for football planning to enroll for the Fall.

Supposedly he's a completely different story from Hoza Scott, who just doesn't try when it comes to school (somewhat tough to believe considering he left his last Juco because the facilities weren't cool enough). But supposedly Griffin just can't succeed at school.

Uh oh, Cardo's probably somewhere crying right now.
? sucks waiting on 2015 at this point huh

GaTech Spring Game attendance.

I dread the day they get rid of Paul Johnson and we have to battle them too for recruits 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

BljoMHNCIAAsMw0.jpg

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-slive-lays-goals-five-conference-subdivision

Slive visited the University of Massachusetts last week as the executive-in-residence for the Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management. In a keynote address, Slive laid out seven goals for the new subdivision of Division I that will house the following conferences: SEC, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12.

• providing the full cost of attendance to grant-in-aid recipients

• fulfilling the health, safety and nutrition needs of student-athletes

• allowing student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility to complete their undergraduate degree without cost

• ending the cold war against agents and advisers so that players testing the professional waters can receive better information

• harnessing the demands of sports so that student-athletes get more balance in their lives -- i.e., another crack at the "20-hour rule"

• more and better assistance for academically at-risk student-athletes

• giving student-athletes a role and a vote in NCAA governance that affects them

That list could come just as easily from a union guy as from the commissioner of one of the most powerful leagues in intercollegiate athletics.

After the speech, Slive said, "I was careful to say that what I was interested in is what the student-athletes were interested in getting, not how they got it."

Slive, as do his colleagues, want to modify the collegiate model, not do away with it.

"I'm not in favor of them being employees," Slive said. "What does 'payment' mean? If payment means they are going to be employees, then I am not in favor of it. ... Whatever we do, at least from my perspective and the perspective of my colleagues, is to be done within the collegiate model. ... This is about higher education, so we need to do more within the context of higher education, not in the context of employment."

This is about higher education, so we need to do more within the context of higher education,

College football is about higher education?

College football is the same as Med School then?

Wait, Swag tweeted that? I read he's most likely going to E Mississippi CC or something which is like a feeder for a few SEC schools. Apparently he's gotten interest from other schools though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom