2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Brandon Mitchell, who announced earlier this week that he's leaving Arkansas, is considering transferring to Michigan. ESPN's Joe Schad reported Mitchell's other choices are NC State, UAB, Louisiana Tech and FCS program Northwestern State. The Wolverines desperately need a backup quarterback.

Cant see it because he would be a backup, but if he wants to come, I will be glad to get another QB on this roster... Kaleb Ringer leaving opens up a spot for him on the roster

Edit: DE Lawrence Marshall from Detroit chose Michigan today... This is the 2nd MSU "lock" that decided to on Michigan over Sparty.... Grab Malik McDowell and I will take 3 of the best 4 players from the state this year... McDowell and Hand on the DL would be a nice close to the DL class

Last edited:
Sporting News drilled Matthew Thomas today (in a not so veiled attempt at shaming him into sticking with his LOI):
[h1]Hard ball: Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher can't let Matthew Thomas walk without consequence[/h1]
There’s no winner in this thing, and that’s the only certainty.

It’s a textbook, step-by-step, point-by-point painful and shameful explanation of the ills of college football recruiting:

Mother wants son to go to a specific school. Son wants to play for a different school, but doesn’t want to disappoint and sides with his mother’s choice.

Months later, son wants out of his letter of intent to sign with the school he wanted to play for all along. Guess who looks like the bad guy in all of this?

The same guy we still haven’t even mentioned.

That’s Jimbo Fisher at Florida State, a grinder of a coach who is three years into trying to remake the Seminoles into something they haven’t been in more than a decade. All he knows is this: He signed a five-star, elite linebacker named Matthew Thomas who earlier this month informed him he wanted out of his letter of intent.

And now Fisher’s the heavy because he won’t let Thomas walk free, and won’t help Thomas appeal to the NCAA to play this fall at another school. Here’s something else Fisher has become: the test case for his coaching fraternity.

“I told him, if he lets (Thomas) go free, precedent is set and everything changes,” said one BCS coach.

Fisher declined to comment through a university spokesman, and other coaches won’t speak publicly about Thomas, from Booker T. Washington High in Miami, Fla., because he has declared himself a recruit again but hasn’t been released by FSU. That’s how utterly ridiculous the world of recruiting has become.

Look, it’s easy to side with the player on this; easy to say he’s a young kid who got caught up in doing what’s right and shouldn’t be held responsible. Let him walk and move on.

But then what does that say from this day forward to every potential recruit? Better yet—and more important and relevant to the situation—what does that say to Thomas, who reportedly is interested in playing for Georgia or USC?

If you stomp your feet and throw a tantrum long enough, you’ll get your way.

I’ve spoken to three different BCS coaches who have reached out to Fisher and advised him to play it strictly by the book. In other words, if Thomas wants to leave, he can leave—but not without paying the NCAA penalty of sitting out a season of eligibility.

It’s nothing personal; it’s the system every program functions under. It’s nothing personal, it’s the first step in learning the most important part of leaving home and going away to college: Every choice has a consequence.

We’ve become a nation of panderers; of adults who acquiesce to young adults and their hurt feelings instead of equipping them with direction and discipline, with accountability and responsibility.

If Thomas wants out of his letter of intent to Florida State, he can have it— but he must follow the process that has been part of NCAA law for decades. He must do what he most certainly does not want to do: Skip the 2013 season.

This isn’t some random, mandatory NCAA ruling aimed at protecting coaches and their programs and fat salaries (you know that argument is coming). This rule is all about—and I know this is hard for some of you to believe—the academic welfare of the student.

Succeeding at college is hard enough for a majority of students. Succeeding while changing schools, adjusting to a new environment and maintaining academic progress—all while being a full-time football player—is next to impossible. A year away from football improves the percentages.

If a byproduct of the rule makes players think twice about leaving, prevents massive turnover on rosters and further complicates the already seedy side of recruiting and procuring personnel, then so be it.

It’s not a free-for-all where we all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. There are standards and there are rules, and they won’t be broken because of a family squabble.

If Thomas didn’t want to play for FSU, he could have not signed on National Signing Day and waited to convince his mother of his choice. He had 54 days—from Feb. 6 to April 1—to make his decision.

“Trust me, every five-star kid has been told more than once by more than one coach about the length of the signing period,” says another BCS coach. “That kid made his choice, and now he has buyer’s remorse.”

Then there’s Fisher, the bad guy in all of this because Thomas walked into his office one day and said he didn’t want to play for FSU.

Now Fisher’s the mean man who won’t let a player walk away. Now he’s the big bully who can leave FSU for another coaching job whenever he wants without any loss of coaching eligibility, yet won’t do the same for a player.

Now he’s the rich coach making millions off the backs of cheap labor and won’t let one of his players leave without penalty. Now he’s the reason why college football must change.

See where this is headed? This story has become more about Fisher than a player trying to circumvent the rules.

Thomas had two choices: Learn a hard lesson and grow from it, or throw a tantrum.

Where’s a pacifier when you really need it.
Right...

A couple of thoughts on this:

1.  It's important to force him to stick with his commitment to FSU because of a concern for his academic progress?  The kid hasn't even graduated high school yet.  He hasn't matriculated anywhere.  How is the academic adjustment for an incoming freshman different from one place to another?  Foolishness.

2.  Jimbo accepted his commitment KNOWING it was being forced by his mother and he was unhappy about it.  He said the day he sent his letter in that he didn't want to be at FSU.  There's audio of him saying if he had his way he'd be in Los Angeles right now.

But somehow this takes the opportunity away from another kid/blind sided the FSU coaches?

3.  Precedent?

USC let Seantrell Henderson out of his commitment just two seasons ago.  And they weren;t the first ones to do something similar.  This isn't precedent.  Maybe a different circumstance but hardly a first.

#LetMattThomasGo

USC has room. Only signed 12 last year. So some rides left, and enough EE's to make the 2014 class a full class.

Seantrel Henderson, Amir Carlisle, Kyle Prater, we let them walk. No need to squash a kids dream cause they don't have the heart for your school. No hard feelings and hope they prosper elsewhere. CLK let Carlisle go knowing he was going to ND. *shrug*

3.  Precedent?

USC let Seantrell Henderson out of his commitment just two seasons ago.  And they weren;t the first ones to do something similar.  This isn't precedent.  Maybe a different circumstance but hardly a first.

#LetMattThomasGo

Very, very different circumstances, no? Anyways I doubt an article will do anything to sway MT in his ultimate decision.

& there is no way to compare this to Prater & Carlislie, Kids who had already been on campus. That is a normal transfer. But essentially voiding the LOI (w/ no sanctions coming down on either school that would explain the reason ?). That's a first and that's what the whole issue is.

LOI is the only binding thing in recruiting and if that gets shown to be nothing more than words on a paper, then what?

Last edited:
USC definitely has room.

I agree that Seantrel was a different circumstance. I believe his LOI was contingent on the fact that USC didn't get hit with a bowl ban.

All circumstances are different, in every case.

However, why keep a kid that didnt want to go to your school in the first place? Why not let him go where he truly wants to go?

I still see him ending up at Georgia. :lol:

All circumstances are different, in every case.

However, why keep a kid that didnt want to go to your school in the first place? Why not let him go where he truly wants to go?

I still see him ending up at Georgia.
laugh.gif
Ehh, he can't help nobody but FSU this year...

usc-trojans-georgia-tech-sun-bowl-570.jpg

640x360_Screen_Shot_2012-12-31_at_4.35.13_PM_1357000926.jpg

tumblr_mfx5lveDdW1rge74zo1_500.jpg

uspw_6895598.jpg

hyundai-sun-bowl-georgia-tech-21-usc-7.jpg

roll.gif
 #YallMustaForgot

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...tate-decides-to-become-a-rapper-football.html

Jay Harris, Downingtown East’s star wide receiver, phoned a Michigan State assistant and broke the news.
He would not be a Spartan.

“I wish we could’ve got you,” the coach told him.

It was not a rival program that drew Harris, but instead a different career path. The 5-foot-11, 162-pound senior said he wants to make it as a rapper.

He is ranked by ESPN as the state’s 17th ranked senior and second-best wideout. Harris scored 13 touchdowns last season on 54 catches for 792 yards.

“I’ve been thinking about doing this for a couple of years now,” said Harris, who perfoms under the name Jay DatBull.
His first single “DatBull 4 Life,” was uploaded to YouTube in late April and has surpassed 50,000 views.

Harris said he made his decision to forego football about a week before the video debuted. He knew people would watch it, Harris said, but not that many in such a short time.

A mixtape is slated for a June 1 release and Harris said he plans to work with a professional producer this summer.

“I try to take advantage of every opportunity I get and for him to like my music and reach it to me, I really appreciated that,” Harris said.

Harris said his commitment to Michigan State last year was “halfhearted.” He said he first flirted with a career in music during his freshman year at Downingtown East.

“I’ve always had this in the back of my head, but never had the courage to tell my parents that this is what I want to do,” Harris said.

mean.gif
 good luck to the kid...hopefully he stays outta trouble during this pursuit so if he don't make it he'll be able to go to school and play

mean.gif
 That NC edumacation.

If he gets a release he'll likely have to sit a year. If he doesn't get a release he'll be playing this year for FSU cause ya'll need all the help in the world.

Top Comment: "Going to college only takes 4 years...but being that datbull is 4-life
roll.gif
somebody said he shot the vid in his treehouse

mean.gif
 This is sad, kid is gonna be sick af come September, who let's their kid make that kind of decision?!

Stumbled upon DDots new Youtube Channel

*subscribed*
Ah, the University of Tennessee, where ridiculous happens.

The latest absurdity?

University officials are conducting an investigation to determine whether a former head of student judicial services, Jenny Wright, a graduate of both the undergrad and the law school at Tennessee, had multiple inappropriate relationships with some of the student-athletes she was charged with judging. According to the Twitter account of Knoxville radio host Jimmy Hyams  recently departed Vol point guard Trae Golden, whose mysterious dismissal purportedly involved academic issues, is among those players involved in the investigation. 

News broke today that Wright had been fired as a result of her failure to cooperate with an independent investigation into whether she had inappropriate relationships with athletes. Wright, who attempted to resign from her position but was fired from her $70,000 a year job instead, has hired an attorney who categorically denied that she had done anything improper.

In the meantime, Tennessee has already removed her name from the Student Judicial Affairs website, listing her position as vacant.

Wright quickly scrubbed her Facebook and Twitter accounts, but she was not able to erase this repository of her Twitter account you can find here.

The account contains fifteen photos and many recent Tweets. 

In the bio section of the account Wright described herself thusly, "Three-time alumna and proud employee of the University of Tennessee...All Vol!!!"

She also listed a husband on the account, but reports are that Wright was recently divorced.  
b9643b9dce5d5a8.jpg

jenny%20wright%20sorority%20pic.JPG

c86a88be_AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

Back
Top Bottom