2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

941707.jpg

Never change Urban. never change

:nerd:

Last edited:
Duke!

Doubt Logan Thomas will bounce back like that...ill take UNC QB or Stephen

Last edited:
they would have had 4 of the 5 fastest players at the combine and Shazier would have been faster than any corner... Seems legit... Peppers athleticism is up there with the best... He has it all... But who the hell knows whats gunna happen when he steps on campus... Cravens is a stud too... Both large DBs that can move

Logan's intangibles > Cam's though.

Logan would have beat out Tebow.  And outran the cops with them 'putas.

Eff a transfer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no idea what to expect from Logan or anyone else this year really. I wouldn't be surprised if we won 5 games and I wouldn't be shocked if we won 9. Really not very many proven players to extrapolate from.

I doubt we'll score very many pts, not that much talent on that side of the ball again this year and the line is questionable.

I spoke with a source extremely close to the Eddie Vanderdoes situation tonight. Here's the rundown:

Vanderdoes was pretty much a silent commitment to UCLA in the last month or so leading up to Signing Day, as we all pretty much reported here. In fact, the source said, Alabama coaches even called UCLA's coaches (Angus McClure, namely) to congratulate them on doing such a good job with Vanderdoes because they couldn't get in with him. Then, "somehow," the source said, Notre Dame got Vanderdoes to sign a letter of intent, and "he has regretted it ever since."

When Notre Dame released his name early on Signing Day, that apparently started all of this mess, as has been reported by Joe Davidson of the Sacramento Bee in the last week or two. The Irish put out his commitment almost 12 hours before he announced it up in NorCal, and that started the friction. Since that day, everything's gone down hill, and he's been looking to get out of his LOI since.

Now, to the stuff you all care about: UCLA "doesn't know what is going to happen exactly or how everything will play out but Eddie WILL end up at UCLA one way or another," the source said.

This is in line with what we heard from another source close to the situation last week: That it's not necessarily a matter of "if," but "when" he'll be a Bruin.

The new source said the Vanderdoes camp is hoping to get all of this hashed out by "the end of June" or "middle of July." Said, "the details are in the NCAA's hands right now."

So there's your Vanderdoes latest. There likely won't be much new here for a few weeks now.

Unless ND lets him out of his LOI (Which doesn't benefit them in any way so idk if that happens) I don't see how he is in LA in June or how the NCAA lets him out

Unless ND lets him out of his LOI (Which doesn't benefit them in any way so idk if that happens) I don't see how he is in LA in June or how the NCAA lets him out
there saying its a family issue and he wants to play close to home
eyes.gif

only thing about ND is, that if he is hell bent on not playing there why not let him out? what does making him transfer and sit out a year do for ND?

there saying its a family issue and he wants to play close to home:rolleyes .

only thing about ND is, that if he is hell bent on not playing there why not let him out? what does making him transfer and sit out a year do for ND?

Nothing but it never seems to be a factor because Universities do it all the time for some stupid reason

Because ND wants to punish him. It's his fault, there was no reason to sign that LOI if you meant to be a Bruin the whole time. It's especially ridiculous considering that he apparently has been regretting it from the moment he signed. Does ND revealing your choice some hours before you do really matter that much? I'm not convinced.

the whole letting kids "commit" anywhere before signing day thing should be done away with.

Anybody that follows recruiting knows that when a kid "commits" he is basically naming a leader...

What?!

Most kids commit and dont change.

Verbally committing helps ensure them a spot come signing day.

A lot of kids shut down recruiting when they verbally commit. it also helps bring in other talent to the class.

the whole letting kids "commit" anywhere before signing day thing should be done away with.
Anybody that follows recruiting knows that when a kid "commits" he is basically naming a leader...

What?!

Most kids commit and dont change.

Verbally committing helps ensure them a spot come signing day.

A lot of kids shut down recruiting when they verbally commit. it also helps bring in other talent to the class.
Those are good points.

It's just in so many cases there are problems regarding LOIs,fans harassing kids, and kids being forced into situations they don't want to be in, I just feel like all of this would be lessened a lot if college sports recruiting was more like the college admission process.

Schools offer you a scholarship and you can take it or leave it (same way a school can withdraw its scholly offer at any time.)

If a kid accepts the offer he isn't locked in until he's on campus for activities (schools can withdraw their offers from kids at any point up until the first day of the semester, so why do kids have to be locked in?)

By not honoring/letting kids commit when they're in 10th grade it does away with a lot of the ********, i.e. a kid committing to southwest tech and feeling the pressure to honor his commitment then getting blasted by fans when he changes his mind right before signing day.

I realize parental influence like in the Matt Thomas situation is an aspect of every day life, not just in sports, but if the NCAA is really out for the best interests of a student athlete there has to be a way to police it better, rather than the kid ends up at a school he hates, is miserable, flunks out, and loses his scholly anyway.

I say all this, having no solution myself.

Last edited:
[h1]Top QB battles Okla. over eligibility[/h1]

Top-rated quarterback prospect David Cornwell of Norman (Okla.) North and his family ended their silence on Thursday over the eligibility dispute that has jeopardized the remainder of his high school football career.

Cornwell, a 6-foot-5, 235-pound Alabama and Notre Dame target, is set to appear Tuesday before the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association board of directors. Cornwell seeks a resolution to the case that revolves around the fall of 2011, when his family lived in Florida and he did not attend school or play football as his mother, Debbie, battled a debilitating health condition.
“We understand the OSSAA's rules. We've followed those. This situation clearly qualifies. He should be eligible. We're a little confused and hurt.” -- Ron Cornwell, father of QB prospect David Cornwell.
Next fall marks the start of the fifth school year since he began ninth grade in 2009 at Millard South in Omaha, Neb.

Oklahoma eligibility regulations prohibit such an extra period of participation "unless sufficient proof exists that circumstances arose beyond the control of the student and the student's parents" that prevented the student from completing academic work.

"We understand the OSSAA's rules," said Ron Cornwell, David's father. "We've followed those. This situation clearly qualifies. He should be eligible. We're a little confused and hurt."

The Cornwells, with an attorney present during the interview, declined Thursday to answer specifics about Debbie's health condition, other than to say it surfaced in July 2011 and lasted several months. The family told The Oklahoman last October that she suffered from a serious thyroid condition. She is healthy today.

"It was really tough to see the woman who had cared for me my whole life be sick like that," David said. "I had to help her with a lot of stuff. My dad was busy traveling with his job. The emotional toll was tremendous. Me and my dad had a lot of heart-to-heart talks through all that."

Ron Cornwell travels frequently as a corporate health-insurance consultant. His work took the family from Omaha to Jacksonville, Fla., and to Oklahoma in 2012.

David enrolled at Jones (Okla.) High School and blossomed as a QB last fall in his first year at the varsity level. He threw for 2,742 yards and 27 touchdowns while rushing for 755 and six scores in the state's third-largest of six classifications.

A landslide of recruiting interest followed. He ranks No. 24 overall in the ESPN 150 and first among pocket-passer quarterbacks.

His list of scholarship offers include the likes of the Crimson Tide and Irish, who met for the national title last season, as well as Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and Miami. Cornwell, who turns 19 in October, earned the first invite to the Elite 11 finals this summer in Portland. He also plans to participate in The Opening and at the Under Armour All-America Game in January.

He previously declined to discuss the eligibility matter, which has already impacted his recruiting.

"Coaches want to see me play," he said. "They've only seen one year. Most of the kids recruited like this have played at least two. I want to play. I want to prove I can go play 6A football."

But according to Ed Sheakley, executive director of the OSSAA, Cornwell already had the opportunity to play four seasons in high school.

"He's asking for an exception for an additional year," Sheakley said Thursday. "They made a choice to leave school (in 2011). They also made a choice not to play football that year. That's kind of where we're at from our point of view."

Ron Cornwell said the family has provided all documentation requested to the OSSAA, including Debbie's medical records.

"I'm very confident in our case, that we've done everything right," David said, "and have all the criteria met."

Back
Top Bottom