2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

dre -

I don't think we win on Saturday, honestly. I think our offense can put up some points (I'm not saying 30+) but that our defense just isn't good enough.

This is a serious question though...I don't think he's like that other big ACC QB that gets joked about but has EJ Manuel won a meaningful game as a starter? I know he's dealt with injuries and it's not that he has to win the game for FSU by himself but I'm just wondering. He may have, I really don't know and tomorrow night will likely be his first if he hasn't. I know he beat Clemson a couple years ago but we were awful then (no excuses but that was with our awful play-calling, getting away from the run for no reason and Kyle Parker sucking, I remember our D playing pretty well).

I'm worried about our inability to stop him & Thompson on the ground though and that it'll keep our offense off the field plus the inevitable 3 & outs. I think Venables has been holding back a lot and does have some help from having faced FSU last year with Oklahoma but we have no difference/play-makers so far on D.

Uhh won the Gator bowl his Rs Fr year, Beat UMD that year, which got us to bowl contention & beat Wake. Got murdered vs Florida
Next year beat Clemson. Came in for POnder and won the chikfila bowl vs South Carolina
Last year lost to OU/Got knocked out, came in for Trickett vs wake , beat UMD, Duke, NCSU, Florida,MiamI, lost to Virginia (worst game I've seen him play)
& beat ND
This year beat wake

Think he's like 14-4 as a starter. Define meaningful?

Probably the two bowl games & the game vs UMD his freshman year (Considering you don't think UM/UF last year & Clemson '10 were meaningful). Should he win tomorrow it'll be his biggest win

Yeah the familiarity Venables has w/ FSU will help but he doesn't have he horses to do exactly what they did last year plus This is the 1st year in that system for that D. My guess is he loads up vs he run, blitzes EJ and tries to make him beat y'all throwing. If the run game gets going it'll be a long night for that defense

Uhh won the Gator bowl his Rs Fr year, Beat UMD that year, which got us to bowl contention & beat Wake. Got murdered vs Florida
Next year beat Clemson. Came in for POnder and won the chikfila bowl vs South Carolina
Last year lost to OU/Got knocked out, came in for Trickett vs wake , beat UMD, Duke, NCSU, Florida,MiamI, lost to Virginia (worst game I've seen him play)
& beat ND
This year beat wake
Probably the two bowl games & the game vs UMD his freshman year (Considering you don't think UM/UF last year & Clemson '10 were meaningful). Should he win tomorrow it'll be his biggest win
Yeah the familiarity Venables has w/ FSU will help but he doesn't have he horses to do exactly what they did last year plus This is the 1st year in that system for that D. My guess is he loads up vs he run, blitzes EJ and tries to make him beat y'all throwing. If the run game gets going it'll be a long night for that defense

And even going back to the OU game last year...with how bad FSU's online was...FSU moved the ball pretty well against the Sooners last year seeing how a TD was erased by a holding call, and the refs effed up the call and spotting of the ball when Kenny Shaw was injured

Gotta love those inevitable 3 and outs :pimp:

Our special teams is on another level from what I've seen thus far ... That new touchback rule has birthed another reason for Coach Gran to earn that money and Rashad Greene might return more kicks than G5 did before its all said and done... Hopefully Clemson scores a few times so kickoff-return can get some work in 8)

Last edited:
UMD's gear vs. WVU

A3WAhMaCIAAE2k1.jpg

If you're gonna lose by 60, at least you'll look good doing so... *shrugs*

Last edited:
Our special teams is on another level from what I've seen thus far ... That new touchback rule has birthed another reason for Coach Gran to earn that money and Rashad Greene might return more kicks than G5 did before its all said and done... Hopefully Clemson scores a few times so kickoff-return can get some work in 8)

Greene scares me on returns sometimes because of his inability to field some....Greg Reid was fearless in that regard, and saved us a lot of field position over the years due to his ability to field anything....but yea our kickoff coverage has been ridiculous this year

Man Hopkins better boot the damn ball out the endzone. No need to assist in getting Sammy extra touches

Hopefully the refs don't **** ULM tonight like the SEC refs did

& beat ND
This year beat wake

It was just a question, not doubting him because I didn't know offhand and don't feel the need to watch a bunch of old tape, look up stats.. I did mean a matchup against a top 15-20 type team or bowl game, ACC Championship type. I wasn't specifically saying UM/UF weren't meaningful but neither was a good team, right? Same for us in 2010. I appreciate the breakdown.

I thought of it because I've seen a lot of analysis of the game, matchups and how FSU vs Clemson compares based on units. I don't think anyone has or will pick us, I don't care, I wouldn't either. I was just surprised to hear that it seemed like a foregone conclusion he'd step up in a big game and I couldn't think of any in the past...there aren't too many big ACC games, UF hasn't been too good and I forgot he played vs South Carolina. The bowl wins are big.

az5950 -

I watched the Oklahoma game last year and the other day re-watched all of the FSU O vs, OU D clips. It's different team and OL but y'all couldn't run the ball aside from a couple big ones by EJ, the TD that got called back was a blatant hold though, so I don't know how that matters. I agree on the Kenny Shaw play. FSU only really moved it through the air when Trickett came in.

Thought it'd be good to actually talk some football with a big game coming up instead of just the uniform talk, coaches quotes and gifs.

With Dustin Hopkins kickoffs, I've read that FSU tries to pin teams deep with him dropping kicks inside the 5 with hangtime but will they try that with Sammy? I hope our kicker just puts them through the back of the endzone.

I miswrote it so I don't know if you're being sarcastic about my 3 & out comment. I was talking about Clemson's offense going 3 and out, putting our defense right back on the field. It's just going to open them up to more mistakes and even us losing the field position battle if that even becomes a factor.

Just curious, I think the spread is 14...do y'all think FSU covers or by how much?

Yeah UF & UM have been ******, wouldn't count that as really meaningful either. Nowhere near what tmrw's game will be. Def not a given that he won't **** the bed tomorrow

scabsorscabs

I digg it...I feel better about the run game...a little concerned about pass pro due to how green the tackles are....but I feel in certain matchups we are favored especially our Dline vs their Oline...it would be absurd to think we will shutdown Watkins or Nuk ( who is severely underrated in my eyes) but should be able to contain them to a degree...they go a good 5-6 deep @ wideout, and you must include TE Brandon Ford, who is a jumbo receiver in my eyes....but the group def has talent, with Watkins, Hopkins, Bryant, Peake, Brown, and Humphries......and I feel outside of Bama, LSU, and possibly UF we matchup the best from a skills standpoint with our DB matchups compared to their WR's where @ DB we will have Rhodes, Waisome, Darby, Los, Smith, and Joyner, and Brooks on the back end....I feel if we slow down the tempo, and keep their running game in check which means no big plays and prevent them from scoring touchdowns in the redzone FSU should be able to wear them down in the 2nd half

I hear you both. It's strength against strength with the Clemson O vs FSU D, kinda hope Morris can scheme around your advantage on the lines. He definitely has something up his sleeve but I don't think it'll be enough.

I wouldn't be too worried about your OTs, our line hasn't gotten a lot of pressure and we definitely don't have an Andre Branch/Brandon Thompson or DaQuan/Jarvis Jenkins, not even close. Venables has kept things simple but unless he found some badass JUCOs (that we don't admit) and is hiding them, it could be tough.

Damn Baylor scored so fast I didn't even see the TD, TV was still on commercials. :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
I'll go FSU over Clemson in Tally, 20-17. Close margin either way.

Utah over ASU, 24-20. I'm rolling with Coach Whit. Shouldn't have lost to Utah State. Feel for you, Jordan.

Indeed, I expect to see more O'leary in this game...in a number of plays in the spring game, he was lined out wide, and in the backfield, so I def expect to see a healthy dosage of O'leary...but it should be a good game all in all with a tremendous atmosphere...a lot is at stake from an ACC Championship perspective to also recruiting as a number of blue chip recruits will be in attendance

I still don't get what's happening. Is he just hype?
Finally, some information regarding the Marine who went berserk at Marquise Goodwin last Saturday in Texas’ win over Ole Miss.

For those who don’t remember, as Goodwin began to celebrate after a 69-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, he began to raise his finger toward his mouth, about to make the “shhh” motion.

That’s when Stephen Roberts, a Marine gunnery sergeant who served in Iraq, stepped in. Roberts got right in Goodwin’s face, hand on hips, and began screaming. As he tells SB Nation, Roberts guessed Goodwin was directing the gesture at him.

“As he ran toward me, I could see him start to make the ‘shhhhh’ motion holding his hand up. I knew behind me was the Texas fan section, and he was staring straight ahead. So I’m thinking, well, I know he’s not ‘shhhh-ing’ his own people.

“It was hey, don’t hush me, because Marines, well … we don’t like to be hushed.”
Cliffnotes:

- Marquise tried to play dude.

- The marine sonned him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom