2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

:lol: @ the Kiffin interview
In FSU news (that ppl probably don't care about but whatever) True freshman CB Ronald Darby is likely to get the start Saturday vs Clemson. He'll be matched up w/ Sammy, Xavier Rhodes matched up w/ Nuke Hopkins.
Baptisim by fire for the freshman should it come to pass.

Update much appreciated Dre
Darby is the truth :pimp:
being that Sammy isn't too too tall ... This matchup should be pretty interesting

Damn is it Saturday yet ? :lol:

being that Sammy isn't too too tall ... This matchup should be pretty interesting

The Safeties gonna make or break the defense in this game. I think they are up to it :smokin

LJ's overaggressive play cost him a couple times last year vs Clemson and Brooks still needs to prove himself on a national stage. Kid has a major chip on his shoulder. Gonna be a lot of nickel vs Clemson so Hunter is going to have to play at a similar level to what he did vs Wake, but he can't afford to miss tackles like he did vs. Wake. Sammy, Nuke, Ellington will turn 6 into 60 real quick

By the way, Lane Kiffin is a penis. A reporter asked him about a player's injury (hence the muted portion of the video) and Kiffin ended his conference.

:lol: typical conclusion drawn...

Reporters were told weeks ago that injuries were not going to be reported, to stop asking, they got sent a memo. First thing this guy leads off with is an injury question, *facepalm*

I think CLK should just close practices at this point, sounds like he wants to keep things in-house unlike CPC. Media around here got too accustomed to the open atmosphere CPC provided, so when CLK tries to keep things private they become intrusive. Most major programs including Bama and Oregon don't have open practices.

:lol: @ that iPhone 5 shot.

Last edited:
Tyler Moore (Nebraska transfer) will be transferring to Florida.

So that makes Moore and Max Garcia. UF doing a good job landing OL

^I'm pretty sure it was the same reporter who was banned for a few days for asking the same injury related questions.

Edit: Nevermind, it was Dan Weber from Rivals.

Last edited:
i see the media really dont give a **** after that scott wolff stuff last week, dude who ask the question knew exactly what would happen when he ask that
laugh.gif

:lol: @ the Kiffin interview
In FSU news (that ppl probably don't care about but whatever) True freshman CB Ronald Darby is likely to get the start Saturday vs Clemson. He'll be matched up w/ Sammy, Xavier Rhodes matched up w/ Nuke Hopkins.
Baptisim by fire for the freshman should it come to pass.

I know Darby's talented but you think Sammy being 6'1" is gonna make it an interesting match up? :lol:

I don't even think we'll win but that's just idiotic. Let's just forget the fact that he's a top 3 receiver w/o question. Our WR will be open, it just depends on whether our OL gives Tajh any time. Don't forget about Nuk Hopkins...plus our next 3 are legit.

Our defense is what scares me. Venables has been holding back but outside of LB we're not very talented. Secondary is booboo.

Last edited:
I know Darby's talented but you think Sammy being 6'1" is gonna make it an interesting match up? :lol:
I don't even think we'll win but that's just idiotic. Let's just forget the fact that he's a top 3 receiver w/o question. Our WR will be open, it just depends on whether our OL gives Tajh any time. Don't forget about Nuk Hopkins...plus our next 3 are legit.
Our defense is what scares me. Venables has been holding back but outside of LB we're not very talented. Secondary is booboo.

I'm pretty sure he was saying that just because the CB is is replacing is 5'8-5'9 Waisome while Darby is supposedly 5'11. Don't think he was insinuating that it would even the matchup, but perhaps better than Sammy vs a smaller DB

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure he was saying that just because the CB is is replacing is 5'8-5'9 Waisome while Darby is supposedly 5'11. Don't think he was insinuating that it would even the matchup, but perhaps better than Sammy vs a smaller DB
Don't speak for that man!

The Pac 12 is supposed to be meeting in October to discuss this injury reporting business. I'm guessing they're not okay with what's happening at southern cal.

:lol: typical conclusion drawn...
Reporters were told weeks ago that injuries were not going to be reported, to stop asking, they got sent a memo. First thing this guy leads off with is an injury question, *facepalm*
I think CLK should just close practices at this point, sounds like he wants to keep things in-house unlike CPC. Media around here got too accustomed to the open atmosphere CPC provided, so when CLK tries to keep things private they become intrusive. Most major programs including Bama and Oregon don't have open practices.
:lol: @ that iPhone 5 shot.

Just ignore the question tho...Call the reporter out (if it was the same dude) and make an idiot of him. Don't storm off like a three year old.

Closed practices are the norm these days tho at higher profile schools. Sucks for fans/media, but if the product on the field is better for it, I can't complain all that much.

The Pac 12 is supposed to be meeting in October to discuss this injury reporting business. I'm guessing they're not okay with what's happening at southern cal.
UCLA is doing the same thing tho, coach mora went on record to say that he is only doing it because there is no rule in place saying he has to release info. he would give out all injury info if force to

Lane/southern cal's policy of not discussing injuries with the media.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...nes-policies-reporting-football-injuries.html

I need to be fair and state that other Pac schools are doing this as well. It seems that SC is catching the most heat for it, though.
That was my point. It's not USC only, just that Lane being a petulant little baby brought more attention recently.

A call for injury reporting standards
September, 18, 2012 1:00 PM ET
By Ted Miller | ESPN.com

What amuses me about Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott is he sees a problem that could be solved or something that could be made better and he always has this nutty reaction.

He thinks: "Hey, why don't we solve that problem or make that thing better?"

That is so weird!

The latest is his idea to standardize injury reporting procedure. This came up because of all the institutional loopiness of late over the release of injury information.

The super-secret coaching style isn't a new thing, but it's now taken over the Pac-12. Closed practices and closed-lip coaches are becoming the standard. Mostly following the lead of Oregon coach Chip Kelly, UCLA, USC, Utah and Washington have adopted new media policies, specifically about disclosing injury information.

It's ostensibly about competitive advantages. Coaches are always looking for every potential angle to gain one. Or prevent one from being given. Even if the paranoia is mostly baseless, as there's zero evidence that open practices provide useful information for opponents. (Don't attribute Kelly's success to closed practices. He had open practices while winning his first two Pac-12 crowns, and his only 2010 defeat came after he closed practices.)

But as college football moves into a playoff age as a revenue-generating juggernaut seemingly unaffected by economic vagaries, Scott is recognizing the need for standards. With so much at stake -- money, in particular -- teams need to play by the same rules. And not just within a conference. Across the entire major college landscape.

Scott previously noted the lack of equity with conferences playing different sorts of schedules -- eight versus nine game; cowardly nonconference scheduling -- and now he's noticing this tempest in a teapot about injuries.

So, he thinks, "Let's do this better."

Ergo: Scott said he'd be willing to look into reporting injuries the way the NFL does it: A weekly list of injured players under classifications such as probable, questionable, doubtful and out.

That's a great idea.

Heck, if I were commissioner of college football, I'd institute three standards.
NFL-style injury reports released on Monday and Friday. Coaches would not be required to comment on injuries.
Spring and preseason practices would be open to accredited media. Coaches would have the option to close practices during the season.
Every conference that wishes to participate in the college football playoff would play a nine-game conference schedule.

Some coaches would resist being required to provide injury reports. Washington State's Mike Leach said Monday that he would "still refuse." And he did what a lot of schools disingenuously do, which is misapply HIPAA and FERPA laws to support their secrecy.

Fine.

Not as in "That's OK." As in, "You're fined for not following our rules." End of refusal.

This is not just a media versus coach issue. I think every reporter hates the duel over injury information. But there are broader issues over accurate information distribution, namely gambling.

Let's just say if someone really, really wanted to know about the status of Washington State QB Jeff Tuel's knee, he could get it. And, thereby, get an information advantage.

College football has been roiled by massive change over the past two decades, most particularly the past two years. It makes sense to try to make sense of it all and set up national standards. Injuries would be a good place to start, even if point A was only at the conference level.

UCLA is doing the same thing tho, coach mora went on record to say that he is only doing it because there is no rule in place saying he has to release info. he would give out all injury info if force to

Yeah the rule change is coming it seems like, if that reporter didn't get himself banned things would have kept going as is. Releasing injury info doesn't seem like a big deal in the long term.

i agree with kiffin unless someone is not playing for the rest of season why do we need to know what injury the person has

I don't really understand how a conference can force schools to disclose injury info. Granted the way Lane just walked away from the press conference is a little prick-ish, but good for him for sticking to his guns. Seems like reporters should have gotten the idea when Scott Wolf got banned.

I don't really understand how a conference can force schools to disclose injury info. Granted the way Lane just walked away from the press conference is a little prick-ish, but good for him for sticking to his guns. Seems like reporters should have gotten the idea when Scott Wolf got banned.
i mean every conference has different rules i dont see how it would be a problem

from what i read on the scott wolf thing after the LA times and LA daily news went to USC the ban was lifted, wolf had got the news from someone else and wasnt even at pratice that day

^I'm pretty sure it was the same reporter who was banned for a few days for asking the same injury related questions.
Edit: Nevermind, it was Dan Weber from Rivals.

It was Dan Weber from uscfootball.com, one of the best pay sites btw.

This is a knee jerk reaction by Larry Scott, unless it's nationwide, don't see a point to officially reporting injuries. These are students, not professionals, if the school doesn't want to disclose injury information, they shouldn't.

Lane/southern cal's policy of not discussing injuries with the media.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...nes-policies-reporting-football-injuries.html
I need to be fair and state that other Pac schools are doing this as well. It seems that SC is catching the most heat for it, though.

Basically, which makes it ridiculous that CLK is getting a lot of flak for it.

Just ignore the question tho...Call the reporter out (if it was the same dude) and make an idiot of him. Don't storm off like a three year old.
Closed practices are the norm these days tho at higher profile schools. Sucks for fans/media, but if the product on the field is better for it, I can't complain all that much.

That was my point. It's not USC only, just that Lane being a petulant little baby brought more attention recently.
A call for injury reporting standards
September, 18, 2012 1:00 PM ET
By Ted Miller | ESPN.com
What amuses me about Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott is he sees a problem that could be solved or something that could be made better and he always has this nutty reaction.
He thinks: "Hey, why don't we solve that problem or make that thing better?"
That is so weird!
The latest is his idea to standardize injury reporting procedure. This came up because of all the institutional loopiness of late over the release of injury information.
The super-secret coaching style isn't a new thing, but it's now taken over the Pac-12. Closed practices and closed-lip coaches are becoming the standard. Mostly following the lead of Oregon coach Chip Kelly, UCLA, USC, Utah and Washington have adopted new media policies, specifically about disclosing injury information.
It's ostensibly about competitive advantages. Coaches are always looking for every potential angle to gain one. Or prevent one from being given. Even if the paranoia is mostly baseless, as there's zero evidence that open practices provide useful information for opponents. (Don't attribute Kelly's success to closed practices. He had open practices while winning his first two Pac-12 crowns, and his only 2010 defeat came after he closed practices.)
But as college football moves into a playoff age as a revenue-generating juggernaut seemingly unaffected by economic vagaries, Scott is recognizing the need for standards. With so much at stake -- money, in particular -- teams need to play by the same rules. And not just within a conference. Across the entire major college landscape.
Scott previously noted the lack of equity with conferences playing different sorts of schedules -- eight versus nine game; cowardly nonconference scheduling -- and now he's noticing this tempest in a teapot about injuries.
So, he thinks, "Let's do this better."
Ergo: Scott said he'd be willing to look into reporting injuries the way the NFL does it: A weekly list of injured players under classifications such as probable, questionable, doubtful and out.
That's a great idea.
Heck, if I were commissioner of college football, I'd institute three standards.
NFL-style injury reports released on Monday and Friday. Coaches would not be required to comment on injuries.
Spring and preseason practices would be open to accredited media. Coaches would have the option to close practices during the season.
Every conference that wishes to participate in the college football playoff would play a nine-game conference schedule.
Some coaches would resist being required to provide injury reports. Washington State's Mike Leach said Monday that he would "still refuse." And he did what a lot of schools disingenuously do, which is misapply HIPAA and FERPA laws to support their secrecy.
Fine.
Not as in "That's OK." As in, "You're fined for not following our rules." End of refusal.
This is not just a media versus coach issue. I think every reporter hates the duel over injury information. But there are broader issues over accurate information distribution, namely gambling.
Let's just say if someone really, really wanted to know about the status of Washington State QB Jeff Tuel's knee, he could get it. And, thereby, get an information advantage.
College football has been roiled by massive change over the past two decades, most particularly the past two years. It makes sense to try to make sense of it all and set up national standards. Injuries would be a good place to start, even if point A was only at the conference level.

Baby? They went about it professionally and accredited media covering the team still pesters with the same questions. I actually give CLK a lot of credit, he's kept some of the things from the old regime intact even though he didn't agree with it or wanted to go in another direction. He knows the fan base liked the "open" nature of the Pete Carroll days, but it seems like CLK likes privacy or not disclosing information he doesn't have to like some high profile coaches: namely Nick Saban.

Media was told on more than one occasion, so when the first question was an "injury" question. CLK didn't say anything, he basically said "I'm out" and bailed.

I really don't care for injury reports in CFB, honestly if it wasn't for Fantasy Football I wouldn't care for NFL reports. I don't gamble on sports so that may explain why, :lol:

i mean every conference has different rules i dont see how it would be a problem

from what i read on the scott wolf thing after the LA times and LA daily news went to USC the ban was lifted, wolf had got the news from someone else and wasnt even at pratice that day
Yea, I was just going off what I'd heard about the Wolf situation. Looks like his ban was lifted last week. I'm sure it's frustrating as hell for these reporters to have to transition to different rules, but unfortunately, they're pretty much at the mercy of the coach in regards to getting info about injuries and things like that. I think coaches should get to make that decision and not be mandated by conferences to share certain information.

I guess my viewpoint is more like Shox's. Unless a player will be missing the season, I don't think injuries really need to be something that's widely reported. I can see the other side of the issue though, and understand why people would want injuries reported (see Christine Michael missing the SMU game last weekend...was he really injured or suspended for fighting with a coach?).

Back
Top Bottom