GRIZZLIES GET: Dexter Pittman and a second round draft pick
HEAT GET: Rights to center Ricky Sanchez

Last edited:
JJ Reddick should be in demand.

Suns should be selling.

Warriors should be buying.

Celtics could be either.

Bucks, sellers?

If I were the Blazers, I'd sell Wes and Hickson if I could.

Jazz should do "something", buy or sell depending on market.

I wrote this for my blog (shamless plug) last month. I'll probably write another trade block post soon.
Posted Up On The Trade Block

December 15 marked the unofficial arrival of trade season. Most NBA players that signed contracts this past summer are now eligible to be traded. This gives teams more flexibility as the pool of NBA players has increased. Sure, some players like Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert are eligible to traded on January 15 because they re-signed with their teams, but that doesn't mean there aren't intriguing names that could be had right now. Here's a run down of players that could be on the move. All contract figures are from ShamSports.

Andrea Bargnani, Toronto Raptors. Contract: $10 million this season and due $22.2 the following two seasons.

The hope in Toronto this season was with a healthy Bargnani, the additions of Kyle Lowry, Landry Fields, Jonas Valaciunas and improvement from DeMar DeRozan, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson, the Raptors could reach the playoffs for the first time since 2008. Instead, the Raptors sit at a disappointing 6-19 record after 25 games. Bargnani is sidelined at the moment because of a torn ligament in his elbow and a strained right wrist. Primarily known as a "stretch four", Bargnani is currently shooting 39.8% from the field and 31.9% from three to go along with his usually pathetic rebounding and defensive effort. It may be best for both sides if a move were to be made. The Raptors' best bet to move Bargnani may be to package him with the player described below.

Jose Calderon, Toronto Raptors. Contract: $10.5 million this season.

Calderon is a productive point guard in the last year of his contract. He'll take care of the ball (3.48 assists for every turnover), find the open man (second highest assist rate among point guards receiging 25 plus minutes per game) and punish teams from deep (45.6% from three at the moment). Calderon has major shortcomings defensively as his lateral quickness leads to opposing point guards blowing by him, but for a team that needs a serviceable starter or high quality backup in the short-term, Calderson may be the best answer on the trade block. It is believed by many that the Raptors will do their best to package the struggling Bargnani with Calderon.

Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers. Contract: $19 million this season and due $19.2 million next season.

Gasol's play so far this season has been lackluster by standards, and combined with his age (32) and contract, his trade value may be at an all time low. He's shooting an abysmal 42% from the field and looking slower than ever. However, there is hope Gasol can elevate his play if he can get more touches in the low post as opposed to being planted 18 feet away from the basket. Gasol is still a skilled center that's been masquerading as a power forward with the rise of Andrew Bynum last season and the arrival of Dwight Howard this season. The Lakers will be patient as they reportedly want to see how the team plays fully healthy in coach Mike D'Antoni's system, but if things don't start clicking then, expect Gasol to be traded.

Richard Hamilton, Chicago Bulls. Contract: $5 million this season and due $5 million next season (non-guaranteed)

Despite being located in a major market and raking in millions each year, the Bulls have never paid the luxury tax. Again, Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't seem to be willing to pay for the luxury tax (cut to Bulls fans letting out a sigh), judging from the mass exodus of the Bulls' productive bench players this past summer. The Bulls are a little over $3 million over the luxury tax line. That makes Hamilton a prime trade candidate. In the fifteen games he's played, Hamilton has been a solid scorer for the Bulls so far, averaging 13.9 points per game on 45.5% shooting from the field and 37.5% shooting from three. It should be noted that his contract next season is non-guaranteed. Hamilton is currently missing games with a torn plantar fascia.

Al Jefferson, Utah Jazz. Contract: $15 million this season.

Jefferson has been a scoring with less efficiency than usual this season (career low effective field goal percentage), but he's still a workhorse in the post. A team looking for a boost in the interior would be wise to gauge Jefferson's trade value. The Jazz are stuck in a corundum as Jefferson and his starting frontcourt mate, Paul Millsap (more on him later) represent the present while youngsters Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter represent the future. The 6'10 center is in the last year of his current contract paying him $15 million this season. Trading Jefferson would open up more minutes for the youngsters while also getting something in return for his services instead of risking losing him for nothing this summer. But trading Jefferson would also take away from the Jazz's offensive system as Jefferson is the main option. Teams should be aware of his poor defense, particularly in pick and roll situations as quick guards make quick work of Jefferson's slow feet and lateral quickness.

Courtney Lee, Boston Celtics. Contract: $5 million this season and due $16.3 million the following three seasons.

Lee was signed to boost the Celtics' wing play, but has thus far been a bust. The usually reliable three point shooter is shooting a paltry 29.4% on the season. To make matters worse, he isn't playing his pesky defense. The Celtics have actually been better defensively with him off the floor according to NBA.com's advanced stats database. It's gotten so bad that he's lost playing time to Leandro Barbosa. With Avery Bradley scheduled to return later this season, could the Celtics trade Lee for a big man?

Paul Millsap, Utah Jazz. Contract: $8.6 million this season.

The steady Millsap continues to chug along. Millsap is shooting below his usual efficient standards, but is rebounding and defending enough to make up for it. He's added to his game this season, showing off a promising three point shot to his arsenal. Like his teammate Al Jefferson, Millsap will be on the trade block as the Jazz will have their eyes on the future with Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. However, if the Jazz decide to keep one of Jefferson or Millsap, it will likely be Millsap as his game meshes better with the two youngsters than Jefferson's does. Like Jefferson, he'll be a free agent this summer.

J.J. Redick, Orlando Magic. Contract: $6.1 million this steason.

The Magic have Arron Afflalo firmly entrenched as shooting guard, so expect the free agent to be Redick to be put on the trade block. Redick will have no shortage of suitors, as teams are always looking for a reliable three point shooter. With his off ball movements and pick and roll play, Redick has been a revelation this season passing the ball this season. He is averaging 5.6 assists per 36 minutes and leads all shooting guards receiving at least 30 minuets per game in assist rate. Redick is a neutral defender, so teams will not be forced to "hide" him on defense like most undersized, below average athletic shooting guards.

Derrick Williams, Minnesota Timberwolves. Contract: $4.8 million this season and due $11.3 the following two seasons.

Since becoming the #2 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, Williams has struggled to find his place in the league as a member of the Timberwolves. Coming out of Arizona, there was promise Williams could switch between being stretch four or big small forward, but it hasn't quite materialized. He's struggled shooting the three from the NBA line, finishing around the rim and handling the ball. He hasn't picked up the nuances of defending at NBA level either, on the perimeter or in the interior. Sitting behind Kevin Love hasn't helped either as Williams hasn't gotten the normal reps a typical #2 pick would receive. His struggles this season have further moved him down the depth chart for the Timberwolves as Williams has lost minutes to newcomers Andrei Kirilenko and Dante Cunningham. With the Timberwolves trying to win now, Williams could be dealt for immediate help on the wings as Brandon Roy and Chase Budinger are nursing injuries.

Anderson Varejao, Cleveland Cavaliers. Contract: $8.3 million this season and due $18.7 million the following two seasons.

I wrote about Varejao earlier this season, but he's worth re-visiting. Varejao has been playing the best basketball of his career so far this season. He's been a monster on the glass, leading all centers in defensive, offensive and total rebounding rates. Varejao's getting the job done too, as his quick feet and high basketball IQ have allowed two fewer points when he's on the floor than on the bench for the Cavaliers according to NBA.com's advanced stats database. Remember, that's with the majority of his minutes being played with young guards and turnstiles Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters. Adding to his work on the defensive end, Varejao has been a valuable contributor on the offensive end. He is meshing well with Irving as the two have shown great chemistry in pick and rolls. He's finishing shots around the basket and even shown a nifty mid-range jump shot. The Cavaliers will ask for the moon in any trade involving Varejao, including young players and draft picks. Or they could simply hold onto him as he's a valuable player in a rebuilding situation a la Nick Collison five years ago with the Seattle Sonics/Oklahoma City Thunder.
Link

Last edited:
Redick, Dudley and/or Tyreke.

Those are the 3 guys I want. Hopefully, Memphis could somehow work out a 3 way with ORL and PHO to get both Dudley and JJ. If not, maybe a 3 way with BOS and PHX or ORL.

Like I said in the NBA thread, I just have a weird feeling that Rudy is going to be traded soon.

Celtics should be sellin, rondo is the most important piece on that team.

Ship P2 to the grizz

Ship KG to the warriors or nets

Build around rondo and green.

Bucks should sell as we'll.

Suns as well.

I would touch d12 cause if they skid continues I could see him walking.

Utah needs to sell as we'll Paul and al

It's so annoying that the Jazz are just holding Al Jefferson and Milsap hostage over there.

are the jazz rebuilding and developing youth? i havent caught too many jazz gms. do guys like enes, favors, and burke get playing time. seems like the organization also wants to win (thus, hanging on to the vets). it is pointless to make the playoffs and get bounced and not giving those young guys any real minutes.

The jazz have 2 solid big men in kanter and favors but their development is being slowed down due to Jefferson and milsap.

Jefferson and milsap are gone this off season.

I agree I don't see the reason as to why Utah is holding onto those guys.... They'll be gone either in a few weeks or after the season.

Interesting to see if the Cavs do anything. I know Speights, Boobie and Casspi are up for grabs... don't know who the hell would want casspi but whatever...

Last edited:
Dwight's here for the rest of the season.. After that.. Who knows but he won't be traded,

If i'm LA im calling the celtics right now and trying to put together something for KG & courtney Lee but that would also kill their cap in the future

Celtics should be sellin, rondo is the most important piece on that team.

Ship P2 to the grizz

Ship KG to the warriors or nets

Build around rondo and green.

Celtics should probably sell but not for the reason bolded. This was probably their plan way back when they traded for him, but not anymore. If anything the only reason why they haven't blown the vets up yet is because Green has been such a letdown

Since Rondos done you know Ainge is gonna pull the trigger and make some moves.
He knows his team can't contend now,
He's gonna start rebuilding.

If I'm OKC, LAC or SA - I'm trying to make a move for KG. I think it'd help each one of them tremendously and if either of the other 2 landed him, it'd scare the crap out of me.

I don't know if OKC can make it work financially, though - unless Boston wants to take back Perk :x

ohwell.gif

LL

Last edited:
Why would Boston want Perkins back on that kinda deal if they're rebuilding? The Clippers have a better chance IMO. They could throw Odom's expiring, Bledsoe or something to get KG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom