2013 New York Mets Season Thread

Byrd and Buck traded(sent cash too) to Pirates for SS Dilson Herrera and player to be named later. Crazy thing is, Byrd's t-shirt is being given away at tonights game for t-shirt Tuesday. Lol

Traded Byrd, wtf?
Yeah sure, lets trade our homerun leader and 1 of the few offense weapons we have :stoneface:

the owners and staff should all be sent home forever. nobody knows what theyre doing in this organization.

It is a head scratching move to say the least. I think the Mets should have a new medical stuff on top of their list to do for next year.

I understand they want to see the younger players, but I wonder if there were better offers during the trade deadline.

Last edited:
This is the Mets where common logic is thrown out the window upon arrival.

Can't even say I'm surprised. Bring back Omar.

Sandy said, this was the best package from all the offers they received before the July 31st deadline.

Byrd was going to be traded regardless, but not many teams are willing to give up a TON for an older guy like Byrd regardless how good he has been this season.

Let's be real, not like they were winning the division or anything, Byrd was not part of the future, move him since he is a FA this off season. Glad Buck is gone, it's D'Arnaud's time.

If Mets would have put them on waivers after August 31st, no one was going to trade for them. Players can't be put on the playoff roster after that time. Mets pushed it far to trade them.

Last edited:
This is what Matt Harvey just tweeted, "‏@MattHarvey33
Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. I may be done this year, but I will be back next year for April 1." I don't think he wants the surgery regardless....

Twitter is dangerous. If he requires tommy John and misses most of the season, going to be eating his words.

I had no problem with the trade. Should have been made a month ago. Of course Sandy will say this is their best offer. Not much risk that the offers around the deadline make the news.

Byrd and Buck traded(sent cash too) to Pirates for SS Dilson Herrera and player to be named later. Crazy thing is, Byrd's t-shirt is being given away at tonights game for t-shirt Tuesday. Lol

Traded Byrd, wtf?
Yeah sure, lets trade our homerun leader and 1 of the few offense weapons we have :stoneface:

the owners and staff should all be sent home forever. nobody knows what theyre doing in this organization.
Keeping Byrd was pointless. You don't hold onto guys with 1 or 2 good years (if that) left in them. I like the trade.

Last edited:
Many people weren't against it, it was kinda late though. Of course everyone knew the Mets were not going make the playoffs. Mets had until August 31st to put a player on waivers and trade them, so the receiving team can add them to their playoff roster. This trade isn't bad at all, even if the prospect doesn't work out. Byrd or Buck wasn't going to resign with the Mets anyway. They can now see what pieces they have and show them off for possible trades, which they should have done a while ago.

Last edited:
i understand the byrd trade... i mean, with the weak lineup & him playing on fire since the all star break, it's tough to see him out of the lineup, but considering we're building for the future & he doesn't have many years like this in him, i get it.

speaking of building for the future, it amazes me how harvey has felt discomfort in his arm for a couple months & nobody checked it out :smh:

i understand the byrd trade... i mean, with the weak lineup & him playing on fire since the all star break, it's tough to see him out of the lineup, but considering we're building for the future & he doesn't have many years like this in him, i get it.

speaking of building for the future, it amazes me how harvey has felt discomfort in his arm for a couple months & nobody checked it out :smh:
It's the Mets way. Wilpons needed Harvey to sell tickets.

Last edited:
Living in LA and seeing the night and day change from frank McCourt to the current ownership and how its completely transformed the dodgers and the whole atmosphere and mindset towards them even when they struggled early this year makes me yearn for the day that the words Fred Wilpon and sells the team are in the same sentence and Fred Wilpon and former mets owner are in the same sentence.

@AdamRubinESPN 30s
Sandy Alderson tells ESPN 98.7 that Matt Harvey spoke with Roy Halladay yesterday. Halladay tore UCL 10 years ago and didn't have surgery.

Nice win, Gee's been really good for a couple months now. Seems like once he was fully recovered from the shoulder surgery and back in a rhythm it's been all uphill.

Still really hurts to lose Harvey and I hope he doesn't have to have surgery but I expect it for now. But with Gee, Niese, Wheeler, plus the possibility of Mejia, Montero, Syndergaard we're in good shape with starting pitching still. Torres has been a pretty good 6 inning pitcher. The Dice-K experiment has been terrible, it's not just that he's bad but he takes so damn long to be so damn bad. :lol: If someone offered me free tickets in the 1st row behind home and I found out Dice-K was pitching, I'd be cool with staying home.

Anyway, it'd be nice to see management be aggressive in the offseason and still make smart moves. I'd like to see Duda get a shot at 1st, it's easier to say after a nice day at the plate but he seems to hit better too. It'd be decent to have Satin & Andrew Brown on the bench, we just have too many marginal position players.

It's tough to be aggressive in the off-season when there are not too many viable options out there.

You want to see some small upgrades here and there but offensively it will take time. The pitching at this point is the least of my concerns, hopefully Harvey is not out for too long.

Harvey, Wheeler, Neise, Gee, Mejia/Sundergard/Montero (would like a veteran thrown somewhere in there) with a good offense would be great to watch.

It's tough to be aggressive in the off-season when there are not too many viable options out there.

You want to see some small upgrades here and there but offensively it will take time. The pitching at this point is the least of my concerns, hopefully Harvey is not out for too long.

Harvey, Wheeler, Neise, Gee, Mejia/Sundergard/Montero (would like a veteran thrown somewhere in there) with a good offense would be great to watch.

My thoughts. I hope they don't overpay guys just for the sake of saying that their spending money and to give in to fan pressure if it doesn't have long term benifits. They just got rid of an albatross in Jason bays contract. I hope they don't overpay someone else for something similar this offseason.

That said with the right upgrades I don't see them as far away as people expect but qb the time comes and solid upgrade are available the Wilson's better open their wallets. Its no excuse for a New York team to be on that broke cheap penny pinching stuff and crying poverty like Fred Wilpon did during the madoff situation. I'm not asking them to spend dodger and Yankee money but at least be willing to open the checkbook when the right players are available. I'm not really sold on anyone in this upcoming free agent class though

My thoughts. I hope they don't overpay guys just for the sake of saying that their spending money and to give in to fan pressure if it doesn't have long term benifits. They just got rid of an albatross in Jason bays contract. I hope they don't overpay someone else for something similar this offseason.

That said with the right upgrades I don't see them as far away as people expect but qb the time comes and solid upgrade are available the Wilson's better open their wallets. Its no excuse for a New York team to be on that broke cheap penny pinching stuff and crying poverty like Fred Wilpon did during the madoff situation. I'm not asking them to spend dodger and Yankee money but at least be willing to open the checkbook when the right players are available. I'm not really sold on anyone in this upcoming free agent class though

100% agree... there isn't much to offer in this upcoming off season, so as much as i hate to say it, the smart thing would be to be patient. i'd rather see them stick it out with our pitching rotation, than deal with bad contracts that won't help us in the long run. however, when it's time to make a big deal for a big player, the front office can't shy away.

Well, yeah...I said "be aggressive and still make smart moves." By that I mean rather than just sit back through the winter and just see whose available as spring training approaches. Whether it's trades or shorter deals if possible. I don't want them to give out long term, high value deals just for the sake of it and regardless, they won't.

We got lucky with Marlon Byrd panning out and thankfully were able to get some prospects in return for him & Buck.

What do y'all think about Harvey forgoing surgery to try and rehab with throwing program for 2 months? It's his decision at the end of the day in my honest opinion. We will see how it works out overall

Yeah, I mean it remains to be seen. I hope it works out but it's just gotten to the point over the years with the Mets & injuries that I feel like it'll turn out badly. Like he'll get to December and feel well enough that the plan is to pitch in 2014, then in like May he reinjures it and has to have the surgery anyway.

One of the great things about Harvey is how confident and how much of a competitor he is...but I think it might make him a little stubborn too.

What was the deal with this interview he did with Dan Patrick? Still need to check it out.

He didn't want to answer any baseball related questions. He told Dan he was only there to talk about Qualcomm, but the show's producer said on air, "there was nothing that was supposed to be off limits".

Back
Top Bottom